Whether you’re upgrading your furniture to something more comfortable or creating a comfy work-from-home space for yourself, the best sofas for back support are versatile and elegant additions to your living room.
These sofas allow you to sit upright and provide adequate support and comfort to your back. However, it can be challenging to choose the best sofa to bring home, given the many options available in the market. Thus, our roundup of the most durable leather sofas with back support can help you choose a suitable option.
Moreover, we also give you a few tips on choosing the right product.
So, read through this post, understand the features and the pros and cons of each product, and pick the right one that can give your back the support and love it deserves.
Our Top Picks
15 Best sofas for back support in 2022
- Has faux leather upholstery with legs made of chrome metal
- Backrest reclines completely, and armrest can be removed to convert into a bed
- Reclining feature and armrest cup holders make it more convenient
- Can be converted into a spare bed for guests
- Compact in size and fits into any space
- One of the best recliner sofas for back pain
- Easy to assemble and has compartments to store hardware
- Lacks enough cushioning to sit or sleep on for long comfortably
- Armrests may not be comfortable
- Base is too low and close to the ground, could make getting up difficult for some
- Linen upholstery with polyester cushioning and foam filling
- Legs and frame of sofa made of wood for durability and stability
- Available in nine colors
- Upholstery can be wiped clean easily
- Attractive appearance with rounded edges
- Can be folded down into a bed for guests
- Pet hair easily sticks to the upholstery and is difficult to remove
- Too close to the ground, could be uncomfortable for people with long legs
- Cushion is not very comfortable
- Hardwood frame makes it sturdy and stable and a good sofa for back pain
- Comes in 17 different colors
- Polyester upholstery has a soft feel to it
- Memory foam filling and pillowy back cushions provide comfort
- Easy to assemble, does not require tools
- Fits easily into small living spaces
- Cushions may lose volume and need to be re-fluffed regularly
- Chemical odor from the fabric
- A bit shallow, which makes it more of a loveseat than a sofa or couch
- Sectional sofa with a chaise that can be moved to either end
- Hardwood frame and legs made of beech wood make it sturdy and stable
- Available in eight different colors
- Upholstered in polyester
- Easy to maintain, can be wiped dry with a cloth or vacuumed
- Easy to assemble
- Comfortable and firm sofa to support the back
- Back cushions may push the seating cushions out
- Thick back cushions decrease sitting space
- Cushions lose shape and need to be fluffed up
- Overstuffed sofa with classic design and deep seats
- Upholstery is made of durable performance fabric
- Firm back cushions lend support, and the sofa has a solid hardwood frame for stability
- Does not require assembly
- Fabric is stain-resistant and moisture repellent
- Removable back and seat cushions, reversible covers
- Large and may not fit into small spaces
- Cushions weather down over time
- Relatively expensive
- Available in five different shades
- Sofa has a strong frame with sturdy and supportive foam cushioning that can take up to 500lb weight
- Woven fabric upholstery
- Easy to maintain – wipe with a clean damp cloth and mild detergent
- Can be easily assembled in just a few minutes
- Firm back provides the right amount of support
- Seat cushions cannot be removed
- Gap between seat cushions and sides
- Seat cushions become thin and flat due to wear and tear
- Four-seat sectional chaise lounge sofa that is both firm and comfortable
- Comes with a movable ottoman that can be shifted around to create a chaise, an L-shaped sofa, or used as a separate piece
- Ottoman opens up to provide a storage area
- Cushions do not sink in
- Easy to assemble with instructions followed
- Upholstery fabric is soft, non-piling, and long-lasting
- Sits rather low which makes it tough for tall people
- Back cushions stretch out higher than the backrest
- The wooden bars underneath the cushions can be felt when you sit
- L-shaped sofa with faux leather upholstery
- Comes with a separate large ottoman that can be moved around to make a chaise lounger
- Durable foam cushioning to withstand up to 600lb of weight
- Easy to clean and limited wear and tear
- Firm back support with plush comfort
- Hook-and-loop strap that attaches ottoman cushion to ottoman is mismatched
- Not pet friendly. Upholstery can be punctured by nails and claws
- Can be challenging to assemble independently
- Convertible design
- Five-level adjustable backrest
- Soft pillow
- Sturdy metal frame
- Breathable linen fabric
- Suitable for any type of interiors and setting
- High-density sponge material
- May be heavy
- May be prone to bed bugs
- Material may be hard
- Retro-styled sofa with classic design
- Upholstered in bonded faux leather that comes in three color options
- Firm backrest
- Deep-set seating gives ample room
- Decently priced
- Ideal height and easy to sit in and get up from
- Legs are made of plastic unlike other options that have metal or wooden legs
- Bottom cushions cannot be removed
- Not so cozy
- Upholstered with bonded leather, a combination of polyester, leather, and cotton
- Two-seater loveseat with armrest, cup holders, and a reclining feature
- Also has a console which functions as a storage compartment
- Comfortable and firm to sit
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to assemble
- Can be placed in an entertainment or gaming room
- Needs more wall space for reclining
- Center console tends to rub against the seats when in rocking mode
- Footrest needs to be pushed manually to keep it down
- Three-seater sectional sofa with a reversible chaise lounge
- Available in two different color options
- Metal frame construction with linen upholstery
- Superior comfort and firm. Does not sink in
- Fits into small spaces
- Simple instructions make it easy to follow
- Cushions may take time to fully expand
- Back needs to be readjusted often
- Legs are not sturdy or durable
- Sofa in the form of a row of love seats with power lumbar support
- High back and power headrest provide both back support and head support
- Comes with LED Base lighting, cup holders, and USB charging points
- The upholstery of top grain Napa leather makes it fine furniture to own
- Ergonomic design and back height lend support to the back
- Wall-hugging recliner
- Control panels are always illuminated and can be a distraction when a movie is on
- Control panels are on the vertical face of the armrest, which is a little out of the way
- Seats don’t lock together
- L-shaped stylish couch with a reversible chaise makes it a great addition to any kind of living space
- Constructed with hardwood frame and wooden legs
- Linen upholstery
- Ideal for small spaces
- Firm cushions that do not sink in upon sitting, making them ideal for a bad back
- Easy to assemble and wipe clean with a damp cloth
- Not suitable for tall people
- No extra cushioning, could be too firm for some
- Can fit only two adults at a time
- Constructed with a durable frame and solid wood legs
- Linen upholstery available in three colors
- Compact supportive sofa with mid-century inspired design and tufting
- Easy assembly with no tools required
- Can fit into all spaces
- Sturdy sofa that is also comfortable
- Tufting may come out over prolonged use
- Does not have a very high back
- Stitching quality is not exceptional
How To Choose The Best Sofa For Back Support?
Check the following aspects to choose the best sofa for back support.
- The sofa should have a firm backrest
- It should have the ideal height and seat depth to suit your height and build
- The sofa should have comfortable seat cushions
- Whether you require a reclining feature and if the chosen sofa has it
How To Sit On A Sofa To Avoid Back Pain?
- Try to sit upright by stretching or leaning the back. If needed, place pillows or small cushions behind your lower back to help prop you up.
- Knees should be parallel to the ground to ensure you are not leaning forward or backward
- Do not sit on the edge as this could tilt your body forward.
Difference Between Regular Sofa And Sofa For Bad Back
Sofas for bad backs generally have a firm back cushion. They are at an ideal height to avoid you having to bend your legs or sit at the edge. The seats do not sink in completely so that you can sit straight, with your spine upright.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Choosing the best sofas for back support is no longer difficult with this informative article written by Sakshi John. Sakshi is an expert at reviewing furniture, kitchenware, and home appliances. Her in-depth knowledge is advantageous for her readers, as they get an overview of the products they need. Here, she suggests some of the best sofas that are stylish, durable, and comfortable. Moreover, she has meticulously described each sofa’s features and pros and cons and given some tips on buying the perfect piece of furniture for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a high-quality sofa help me with my back pain problem?
Yes, a quality, ergonomically designed sofa could help you correct your posture, provide firm support, and manage your back problems. But note that the sofa is only a supportive aid, not the primary treatment for managing back problems. You can also consult your doctor or physiotherapist to help you choose the right kind of sofa.
2. How can I make my sofa better for my back?
Sofas with wooden and metal frames and high-density cushions are ideal for back pain. High-density cushions prevent sinking and help you maintain good posture.
3. Is a firm couch good for my back?
Yes, firm couches help you get up easily without adding stress to the back.
4. Are soft sofas good for my back?
No, soft sofas sink when you sit. They can also make it difficult for you to get up from the sofa. Such sofas may also not help you maintain proper sitting posture.
5. What is an ergonomic sofa?
An ergonomic sofa is specially designed to make you sit upright. It can alleviate strain on bones and muscles and help you sit better.
6. Are recliners good for lower back pain?
Recliners designed to reduce pressure on your body and support your spine are ideal for lower back pain. However, prolonged sitting in the same position is not recommended.
Chronic backaches are a common condition as we age, and with the right kind of support, they can be prevented. We spend a significant amount of our day at home on the sofa, which necessitates the need to invest in one that offers unparalleled comfort. When you pick the right sofa for back support, it helps you maintain an upright posture, which is considered healthy. Our list of the best sofas for back support features products with a firm backrest, optimal seat depth, and comfortable cushions to give you the options that care for your back.
Recommended Articles :
View Profile ›