Solar lanterns are adaptable and environmentally beneficial equipment used at home or when camping. To find the best solar lanterns, read through the post that gives you some choices. These are great alternatives to flashlights, spotlights, or cellphone lights powered by batteries. Solar lanterns with several LED lights provide strong and efficient light and run for a long time in the dark. In addition, they run on a never-ending supply of free solar energy, require no upkeep, and last longer.
Here, we discuss some important features of different solar lanterns available online and the factors to look for when purchasing.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Solar Lanterns
The pocket-sized solar light from MPOWERD is 100% solar-powered and is an ideal option for a backpacker who is tired of carrying additional batteries. It is inflatable and reduces to just an inch and can be easily carried anywhere. It needs to be put under the direct sunlight for seven hours to charge and can work for about 12 hours after every charge. Click here to check out this YouTuber’s unbiased review.
- Can be adjusted to either bright, super bright, and one-second flashing
- Battery level indicator lets you know how much charge is left
- Waterproof, collapsible, and durable
- Suitable for garden, patios, barbecues, backyard, and camping
- Weighs only 4.4oz
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty
Provide elegant decorative lighting to your garden or backyard with this solar-powered lantern. The housing is made from poly-plastic with a seeded glass effect that could withstand harsh weather. It is a 15-inch lantern that can be hung using any loop or sits on any surface. Here’s a personal review video to help you get a better understanding of the product.
- Powered by mono-crystalline solar panel, and rechargeable Ni-MH battery option
- Automatically switches on at dusk and switches off at dawn
- Pillar candle containing one LED gives a warm glowing effect
- Illuminated by two high-performance LEDs at the top
- Measures 6.60″L x 6.60″W x 15.00″H
- No wiring and simple to install
- Weighs 2lb
The LuminAID solar power outdoor lantern is a compact option that offers powerful lighting. This solar inflatable lantern folds up to just one-inch thickness and easily fits into little crevices too. It weighs less than five ounces and is waterproof. Click here to check out a detailed personal review of this product.
- Made from heavy-duty rugged TPU
- Shines over 300 lumens of LED light on Turbo mode
- 5V 2Amp output port for charging smartphone or tablet
- Long battery life up to 100 hours of light on low mode
- Five brightness settings and SOS flashing mode
- Recharges completely in 20 to 30 hours under direct sunlight
- Two to four hours of charge with USB
- Expands to a six-inch cube to illuminate light
TomCare solar lantern brings an elegant appearance and beauty to your outdoor space. It gives out warm-yellow flickering flames that are quite attractive and add to the aesthetics of your garden, home, yard, or patio. This portable solar lantern uses only solar energy and requires no additional charging.
- High-quality metal housing with a rustproof finish
- Polyplastic sides with glass effect
- Durable hook to hang it on, or soft bottom to place it on a tabletop
- IP65 waterproof grade, and can be used when raining or snowing
- Charges in about eight hours, depending on the weather conditions
- Comes with a one-year warranty
The Kizen Solar lantern features versatile options and could be one of the best solar LED lanterns you can buy. The collapsible design shrinks it by 2.4 times the actual size and keeps it compressed while it charges under the sun. There are three lighting modes: high, low, and SOS.
- Rechargeable with solar energy, and also a USB port
- Can be used as a high-power flashlight when folded
- Smart circuitry that prevents over-charging
- Saves space in your backpack
- Acts as a power source for mobile phones
- Works in all weather conditions – hot or cold, rain or shine
- 100% lifetime warranty
AGPTEK offers a power-saving lantern designed with 36 LED lights that can light up to 100,000 hours. It gives a relatively brighter light and has a universal charging point for mobiles and other devices.
- Five charging options – solar light, car adapter, AC adapter, crank dynamo, and three AA batteries
- Built-in polysilicon solar panels that consume less energy, and give a brighter light
- Two brightness settings – bright and super bright
- Bright mode is enough for most normal activities and reading
- One handle and two additional string holes for hanging the lantern
- Greenlight indicates full charged
This ultra-portable solar lantern from Tansoren is a versatile option for good lighting at camps, in the back yard, or around the house. It can be charged with a 5V DC cord or the solar panel located at the top. The omnidirectional LED lights offer illumination in all directions of the camping site.
- Three power supply options: solar, USB charging, and 3 AA batteries
- Bright red light next to the DC input shows charging
- Three COB LEDs for a longer lifespan
- USB port can charge mobile phones and other USB devices
- Light could be adjusted by pulling and pushing the handles
- Three attachment options: magnetic base, top loop, and metal loop
- Available in a set of four
The retro star solar lights could be one of the best solar lanterns to gift your loved ones. Made of iron and powered by solar, this rustic style hanging solar lights add warmth to your indoors and outdoors. They automatically illuminate at dusk and turn off at dawn.
- Can be hung on trees, porches, placed on tabletops and ledges
- Six-lumen white LED lights add brightness
- Rechargeable NI-MH battery option
- Charging time is six to eight hours under direct sunlight
- Working time is eight to ten hours
- On/off button; press ON before keeping it for charging in a sunny area, without any shadows
- Measures 6.3” L x 6.3” W x 6.9”H
The Ollivage solar lantern light offers an antique flame effect that would serve as an ideal decor for outdoor events like partying, barbecue camping, family gatherings, and festivals. The distinctive warm glow is attractive and looks like a real flame.
- Highly efficient solar panel that charges the lantern during the day
- Works on USB changing in winters
- Flame lights will last for 12 hours
- Automatically lights up in the nights or dark
- Waterproof and made of durable ABS plastic
- You can hang it or clip it on anywhere
- Requires no wiring and is easy to install
These solar lights can be easily hung on walls and trees or placed on tabletop and shelves, making them ideal for decoration on special occasions. They are suitable for both indoor and outdoor events. The mason jar lids containing string lights are waterproof and can work even on rainy and snowy days.
- Pack of six hanging solar lanterns with 30 LEDs in each
- Dimensions of mason jar are 3.2”W x 5.3”H
- Easy to install and use
- Includes an on/off button underneath the lid that has to be turned on before charging
- No wiring and no AC current
- Automatically switches on and switches off
- Illuminates up to eight hours upon full charging
Formed by 20 LEDs, this solar-powered lantern gives a flickering light that seems brighter than an ordinary lantern. This smokeless and flameless fire is safe and illuminates for an extended time. The golden metallic coating gives an attractive style to both indoors and outdoors.
- Powerful solar panel takes six hours to charge
- Rechargeable NI-CD battery
- Fully-charged lantern can illuminate up to eight hours
- Resistant to water and weather
- Tempered glass panes protect the lantern from damage
- Auto lights switch on at dark
12. TOFU Solar Lantern Lights Outdoor Hanging with Flickering Dancing Flame
Made of durable and waterproof ABS plastic, the flickering lights in the lantern looks like a real flame. Their flame effect makes them ideal decorative lighting for outdoor events like camping, barbecue, family gathering, and Halloween.
- Built-in 1.2V/1500mAh NI-MH rechargeable battery
- Dust-proof design and IP65 waterproof lantern
- Withstands rains and snow
- Measures 3.5”L x 3.5”W x 6.7”H
- Has a clamp and a ring to hang it on a tree, umbrella, pool, or patio
- Easy to install and use
- Turns on automatically at dusk
- Takes about six to eight hours to charge under sunlight
- Working time is eight to 12 hours
13. MUMTOP Hanging Solar Lantern Hummingbird Lights Tabletop Lamp
If you want to add a chic and vintage theme to your camping or a house party, you should not miss this bright-colored hummingbird pattern solar lantern. It is made of durable metal and glass designed with a retro pattern, creating a relaxing ambiance.
- 20 LED lights that automatically glow at dusk
- Waterproof lantern than could be placed anywhere
- Turns the light on at dusk, and automatically switches off at dawn
- Can be placed on a tabletop or hung to the door or tree
- Takes six to eight hours for charging under sunlight
- Illuminates for eight to ten hours
How To Choose The Right Solar Lantern?
Here are a few criteria you should consider while purchasing the solar lantern for yourself or as a gift.
- Lightweight: Buy a lightweight and portable lantern so that you can easily carry it anywhere while going outdoors.
- Charging and working time: Read the specification to know about the charging time as well as the time up to which it can work. It could help you buy a lantern that charges fast and works longer.
- Waterproof: Consider a solar lantern that can withstand exposure to outdoor elements such as rains, or snow. Find one that works in all weather conditions.
- Charging options: It is beneficial to have multiple charging options, although the solar lamp mainly relies on solar energy. In cold weather conditions, the other charging options may be of help.
- Others: Design, pattern, color, hanging options, and good warranty terms are some additional factors you may look for when selecting the solar light.
Solar lanterns are more about functionality than style. Keep the above factors in mind before deciding to buy the solar lantern of your choice. Considering the reviews is also essential to get the right product.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah has a keen interest in electronic products that reflects in his articles. He has done extensive research to bring you the best solar-powered lanterns that are a better alternative to battery-powered lights and add an aesthetic touch to your home. He listed the products with their detailed description, including their charging and working time, design, and durability. Also, he added a purchasing guide for you to select the efficient one.