Solar lanterns are adaptable and environmentally beneficial equipment used at home or when camping. To find the best solar lanterns, read through the post that gives you some cutting-edge choices. These are great alternatives to flashlights, spotlights, or cellphone lights powered by batteries. Solar lanterns with several LED lights provide strong and efficient light and run for a long time in the dark. In addition, they run on a never-ending supply of free solar energy, require no upkeep, and last longer.
Here, we discuss some important features of different solar lanterns available online and the factors to look for when purchasing.
13 Best Solar Lanterns In 2024
1. Best Durable:MPowerd Luci – The Original Inflatable Solar Light
The pocket-sized solar light from Mpowerd is 100% solar-powered and is an ideal option for a backpacker who is tired of carrying additional batteries. It is inflatable and reduces to just an inch and can be easily carried anywhere. This clean energy light needs to be put under direct sunlight for seven hours to charge and can work for about 12 hours after every charge. If you are looking for a solar camping lantern, or a solar lantern for patios, do give it a try. Click here to check out this YouTuber’s review.
- Can be adjusted to either bright, super bright, and one-second flashing
- Battery level indicator lets you know how much charge is left
- Waterproof, collapsible, and durable
- Made of high-quality materials
- Perfect for gardens, barbecues, backyard, and camping
- Weighs only 4.4oz
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty
2. Best Easy To Install:Smart Solar 3960KR1 San Rafael II Solar Mission Lantern
Provide elegant decorative lightingto your backyard with this solar garden lantern. The housing is made from poly-plastic with a seeded glass effect that could withstand harsh weather. It is a 15-inch lantern that can be hung using any loop or sits on any surface. Here’s a review video to help you get a better understanding of the time-tested solar-powered light.
- Powered by mono-crystalline solar panel, and rechargeable Ni-MH battery option
- Automatically switches on at dusk and switches off at dawn
- Pillar candle containing one LED gives a warm glowing effect
- Two high-performance LEDs at the top for bright light
- Measures 6.60″L x 6.60″W x 15.00″H
- No wiring and simple to install
- Weighs 2lb
The LuminAID solar power outdoor lantern is a compact option that offers powerful lighting. As per reviews, this solar inflatable lantern folds up to just one-inch thickness and easily fits into little crevices too. The solar lantern with adjustable brightness weighs less than five ounces and is waterproof. Explore the tester’s experience here to learn more about this clean energy light.
- Made from heavy-duty rugged TPU
- Shines over 300 lumens of LED light on Turbo mode
- 5V 2Amp output port for charging smartphone or tablet
- Long battery capacity up to 100 hours of light on low mode
- Five brightness modes and SOS flashing mode
- Recharges completely in 20 to 30 hours under direct sunlight
- Two to four hours of charge with USB
- Expands to a six-inch cube to illuminate light
MPOWERD Luci - The Original Inflatable Solar Light
Smart Solar 3960KR1 San Rafael II Solar Mission Lantern
Best Easy To Install
LuminAID PackLite 2-in-1 Phone Charger Lanterns
|Number of Items
|PackLite Firefly 2-in-1 Phone Charger
|5.25 x 1 x 5.25 inches
|2 AA batteries required
|1 Lithium Ion batteries required
|6.85 x 6.85 x 14.9 inches
|6 x 6 x 6 inches
TomCare solar lantern brings an elegant appearance and beauty to your outdoor space. It gives out warm-yellow flickering flames that are quite attractive and add to the aesthetics of your garden, home, yard, or patio. This portable solar lantern uses only solar energy and requires no additional charging.
- High-quality metal housing with a rust-proof finish
- Polyplastic sides with glass effect
- Durable hook to hang it on, or soft bottom to place it on a tabletop
- IP65 waterproof grade, and can be used when raining or snowing
- Charges in about eight hours, depending on the weather conditions
- Comes with a one-year warranty
The Kizen Solar lantern features versatile options and could be one of the best solar LED lanternsyou can buy. The tried-and-tested collapsible design shrinks it by 2.4 times the actual size and keeps it compressed while it charges under the sun. There are three lighting modes: high, low, and SOS.
- Rechargeable battery with solar energy and also a USB port
- Can be used as a high-power flashlight when folded
- Smart circuitry prevents overcharging
- Saves space in your backpack
- Made using durable material
- Works in all weather conditions – hot or cold, rain or shine
- 100% lifetime warranty
AGPTEK offers a power-saving lantern designed with 36 LED lights that can light up to 100,000 hours. It gives a relatively brighter light and has a universal charging point for mobiles and other devices.
- Five charging options – solar light, car adapter, AC adapter, crank dynamo, and three AA batteries
- Built-in polysilicon solar panels that consume less energy, and give a brighter light
- Two brightness settings – bright light and super bright light
- Bright mode is enough for most normal activities and reading
- One handle and two additional string holes for hanging the lantern
- Green light indicates full charge
7. Best Portable:Tansoren 4 Pack Solar Lantern
This ultra-portable solar lantern from Tansoren is a versatile option for good lighting at camps, in the backyard, or around the house. It can be charged with a 5V DC cord or the solar panel located at the top. The omnidirectional LED lights offer illumination in all directions of the camping site.
- Three power supply options: solar, USB charging, and 3 AA batteries
- Bright red light next to the DC input shows charging
- Three COB LEDs for a longer lifespan
- USB port can charge mobile phones and other USB devices
- Light could be adjusted by pulling and pushing the handles
- Three attachment options: magnetic base, top loop, and metal loop
- Available in a set of four
- Suitable for outdoor decor
The retro star solar lights could be one of the best solar lanterns to gift your loved ones. Made of iron and powered by solar, this rustic style hanging solar light adds warmth to your indoors and outdoors. According to the reviewers, these solar lanterns with rechargeable batteries automatically illuminate at dusk and turn off at dawn.
- Can be hung on trees, porches, placed on tabletops and ledges
- Six-lumen white LED lights add brightness
- Rechargeable NI-MH battery option
- Charging time is six to eight hours under direct sunlight
- Working time is eight to ten hours
- On/off button; press ON before keeping it for charging in a sunny area, without any shadows
- Measures 6.3” L x 6.3” W x 6.9”H
The Ollivage solar lantern light offers an antique flame effect that would serve as an ideal decor for outdoor events like partying, barbecue camping, family gatherings, and festivals. If you’re looking for waterproof solar lanterns with a distinctive warm glow and look like a real flame, you may go for it.
- Highly efficient solar panel that charges the lantern during the day
- Works on USB changing in winters
- Flame lights will last for 12 hours
- Automatically lights up in the nights or dark
- Made of durable ABS plastic
- You can hang it or clip it on anywhere
- Requires no wiring and is easy to install
These solar-powered lights can be easily hung on walls and trees or placed on tabletop and shelves, making them ideal for outdoor decor on special occasions. These user-friendly solar lanterns with auto on/off feature are suitable for both indoor and outdoor events. The mason jar lids containing solar string lights are waterproof and can work even on rainy and snowy days.
- Pack of six hanging solar lanterns with 30 LEDs in each
- Dimensions of mason jar are 3.2”W x 5.3”H
- Easy to install and use
- Made of high-quality materials
- Includes a button underneath the lid that has to be turned on before charging
- No wiring and no AC current
- Automatically switches on and switches off
- Offers up to eight hours of average run time upon full charging
Formed by 20 LEDs, this solar-powered lantern is brighter than ordinary lanterns. This smokeless and flameless fire is safe and illuminates for an extended time. This time-tested solar lantern with flickering flame effect has a golden metallic coating that adds to its aesthetics both indoors and outdoors.
- Powerful solar panel takes six hours to charge
- NI-CD rechargeable battery
- Fully-charged lantern has a battery capacity of eight hours
- Resistant to water and weather
- Tempered glass panes protect the lantern from damage
- Auto lights switch on at dark
12. Best Easy To Install: Tofu Solar Lantern Outdoor Hanging Lights
Made of durable and waterproof ABS plastic, the flickering lights in the lantern looks like a real flame. Their flame effect makes them ideal decorative lighting. These professional-grade outdoor solar lanterns are suitable for camping, barbecue, family gathering, and Halloween. This handy tool is also useful during power outages.
- Built-in 1.2V/1500mAh NI-MH rechargeable battery
- Dust-proof design and IP65 waterproof lantern
- Withstands rains and snow
- Measures 3.5”L x 3.5”W x 6.7”H
- Has a clamp and a ring to hang it on a tree, umbrella, pool, or patio
- Easy to install and use
- Turns on automatically at dusk
- Takes about six to eight hours to charge under sunlight
- Average run time is eight to 12 hours
13. Best Decorative:Mumtop Hanging Solar Lantern Hummingbird Lights Tabletop Lamp
Hanging solar lanterns for outdoor parties can be invaluable. If you want to find a chic and vintage theme, you should definitely not miss this bright-colored hummingbird pattern solar lantern. It is made of durable metal and glass designed with a retro pattern, creating a relaxing ambiance.
- 20 LED lights that automatically glow at dusk
- Waterproof lantern than could be placed anywhere
- Turns the light on at dusk, and automatically switches off at dawn
- Can be placed on a tabletop or hung to the door or tree
- Takes six to eight hours for charging under sunlight
- Offers operating time of six to eight hours from charging under sunlight
How To Choose The Right Solar Lantern?
Here are a few criteria you should consider when purchasing the solar lantern for yourself or as a gift.
- Lightweight: Buy a lightweight and portable lantern so that you can easily carry it anywhere while going outdoors.
- Charging and working time: Read the specification to know about the charging time of solar lanterns with timer function. It could help you buy a lantern that charges fast and works longer.
- Waterproof: Consider a solar lantern that can withstand exposure to outdoor elements such as rains, or snow. Find one that works in all weather conditions.
- Charging options: It is beneficial to have solar lanterns with multiple light modes and charging options, although they mainly rely on solar energy. In cold weather conditions, the other charging options may be of help.
- Ease of use: Consider a lantern that is easy to store and carry. It should also be easy to use by all members of the family and be safe for children.
- Others: Design, pattern, color, hanging options, and good warranty terms are some additional factors you may look for when selecting the solar light.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do solar lights need the sun or any light?
Solar lights do not need direct sunlight to work properly. You can use regular light bulbs to charge the solar lights. Just place them directly under the lightbulb and let them charge.
2. Is it okay to leave the solar lights on all night?
If the solar lights are fully charged, it is okay to leave them on all night.
3. How can I make the solar lights last longer?
You can do a few things to make your solar lights last longer. For example, do not use your solar lights on low charge because it will decrease their shelf life, and do not place them near street lamps.
4. Does rain ruin solar lights?
No, rain does not ruin solar lights. Typically, the solar lights are covered with a protective layer of plastic or glass, which protects them from the rain.
5. What should I do when solar lights stop working?
The first thing to do is to replace the batteries; typically, after three to four years, the batteries stop working. Another thing to check is the sensor. Replace the sensor if necessary or place your solar lights in direct sunlight.
6. Can I leave my solar lights out in winter?
Yes, you can leave your solar lights out in winter because the sun’s rays can reach the earth’s surface even if it’s cloudy. Moreover, solar lights operate on sun rays and not direct sunlight. However, in direct sunlight, they tend to charge faster.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah has a keen interest in electronic products that reflects in his articles. He has done extensive research to bring you the best solar-powered lanterns that are a better alternative to battery-powered lights and add an aesthetic touch to your home. He listed the trusted products with their detailed description, including their charging and working time, design, and durability. Also, he added a purchasing guide for you to select the efficient one.
Whether you are a camping enthusiast or want to be prepared for occasional power outages, the best solar lanterns have got you covered as an eco-friendly alternative for flashlights. With many options available, pick the best one after considering factors such as recharging time, brightness modes, and durability. Further, you can pick a lantern that is portable and compact, similar to the MPowerd Luci – The Original Inflatable Solar Light, water-resistant like the TomCare Solar lights Metal Flickering Flame Solar Lantern, or look for foldable versions like the LuminAID PackLite 2-in-1 Phone Charger Lanterns. Moreover, ensure it is suitable for your purpose, whether it is decorative or for camping/trekking. These solar lanterns will be a green investment you will not regret.
Infographic: How To Use A Solar Lantern Efficiently?
Solar lanterns are innovative and eco-friendly lighting solutions that harness the sun’s power to provide illumination. With their portability and renewable energy source, solar lanterns are ideal for home decor, outdoor activities, camping trips, or emergencies. Explore the infographic below to learn how to use solar lanterns efficiently.
- Best Toddler Bed Rails
- Best Hook on High Chairs
- Best Baby Bath Thermometers
- Best Doctor Kits for Kids