Sous-vide has quickly transformed the culinary experience, bringing the taste of high-end restaurants home. So, you can now enjoy a gourmet meal at home with the best sous-vide machines. In the past few years, sous-vide machines have become quite popular, and for good reasons. Whether juicy steaks or custardy eggs, these precision cookers can whip up delicious meals. Before wondering which sous-vide machine would be ideal for you, let’s understand more about sous-vide.
What Is Sous-Vide Cooking?
Sous-vide means “under vacuum” in French. It refers to the procedure of vacuum-sealing food in an airtight bag and then cooking it to precise temperatures in a hot water bath. It is a culinary technique that gives evenly cooked, flavorful food consistently. Professional chefs have been using it for years, and it has recently become a favorite among those who love experimenting with food.
What Are The Benefits Of Sous-Vide?
With precise temperature control, sous-vide offers numerous benefits that give it an upper hand compared to traditional cooking methods.
- Consistency: Sous vide delivers good results consistently. There is no risk of the food being overcooked or turning dry and chewy.
- Flavor: The food becomes tastier when cooked in its juices at low temperatures. Besides, since it is vacuum-sealed, the food doesn’t lose its tenderness, aroma, or form. The enhanced flavors of sous-vide food require little additional seasoning.
- Healthy: The nutrients are not lost during the process – unlike boiling – thus making it a healthier option.
- Bulk cooking: Sous-vide makes it easy to cook numerous portions at once, convenient for social events and parties.
- Shelf life: Sous-vide food must be cooled and frozen once done, then thawed and reheated when required, increasing the food’s shelf life.
10 Best Sous-Vide Machines
1. Best Smart Features: Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker
The Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker can be connected to your smartphone via Wi-Fi to help you monitor your cooking even when you’re not in the kitchen. It lets you keep the food cold until it’s time to start heating it. This professional cooking tool ensures the food is never cooked at an unsafe temperature. The machine controls are added to your smartphone to set or change the temperature and time with ease. Its app also has numerous recipes and suggested cooking procedures that you can try out. It easily attaches to a container with its adjustable clamp and can cook for up to eight people at a time. Check out a tester’s experience in this review video to learn more about the product.
- Can be operated manually
- Easy to clean
- Compact and takes up little space
- May have connectivity problems
2. Best Compact: Breville Joule Sous Vide Cooker
One of the best-rated sous vide machines, the Breville Joule helps you set temperatures and can heat water fast. Besides, it has a pump system and a magnetic base, which helps it cook with less water. You can operate the app either via WiFi or Bluetooth. It features several interesting recipes along with additional information on the water and temperature requirements. To learn more, take a look at this product review cum testing video.
- Gets food ready fast
- Magnetic base helps it stand steadily in containers
- Precise temperature control
- Connects to the app easily
- Completely dependent on the app for all its functions
3. Best Water Circulation: Inkbird Sous Vide Precision Cooker
The Inkbird Sous Vide Precision Cooker has an app that helps you regulate the temperature and timing of the food. Besides, the machine also has an LED screen and a control panel for those who prefer onboard controls. The cooker works noiselessly and can whip up restaurant-quality meals with precision temperature controls. It can keep a homogenous temperature for up to 20 liters of water. The machine also has an alarm that alerts you if the water level is lower than required. Check out this video review for more information.
- Easy to clean
- Works noiselessly with less than 40 dB noise at 1 m
- Allows you to set a cooking time of up to 99 hours and 59 minutes
- Circulates water quickly
- App only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi connectivity
Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker
Best Smart Features
Breville Joule Sous Vide Cooker
Inkbird Sous Vide Precision Cooker
Best Water Circulation
|Weight||1 Pounds||1.28 Pounds||1.28 Pounds|
|Dimensions||3.07"D x 3.07"W x 12.8"H||1.85"D x 1.85"W x 11"H||1.85"D x 1.85"W x 11"H|
|Color||Black and Silver||White||White|
|Material||Stainless Steel, Plastic||Polycarbonate||Polycarbonate|
|Wattage||1000 watts.||1100 watts||1100 watts|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best App-Free: Sousvide Art Precision Cooker Kit
The precision-controlled sous-vide machine helps you cook delicious, restaurant-like food from the comfort of your home. The machine comes with reusable bags, clips, a vacuum seal pump, and a recipe book full of delicious recipes for culinary aficionados. It lets you enjoy a hands-on experience since it does not require installing any app. The compact machine with vacuum seal pump doesn’t take up much space, and you can use it with one hand, thanks to its ergonomic design. Check out this review video showcasing a tester’s experience with this sous-vide device.
- Includes 15 vacuum seal bags
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a clamp that can be attached to any cookware
- Helps retain more nutrients
- Has an alarm to let you know when the food is ready
- Touch screen may have problems detecting your touch, especially if your digits are cold
5. Best Noiseless: KitchenBoss Sous Vide Cooker
This temperature-controlled cooker has a durable SUS304 food-grade stainless steel blade to help it stand the test of time. It works silently to make quality food consistently. Its thermostatic system comes with a high-precision control chip which ensures the accurate temperature. Besides, it has a powerful motor that increases the rate of water flow as required. It heats and circulates water to ensure the cookware has a stable temperature.
- Easy to clean
- IPX7-certified waterproof
- BPA-free for safety
- Precise welding
- Setting the temperature may be difficult since the numbers on the control screen move fast
6. Best Knob Control: Pynhoklm Sous Vide Cooker
The Pynhoklm Sous Vide Cooker uses low temperatures to heat the ingredients steadily. This slow-cooking machine comes with a knob instead of a digital control panel for temperature regulation. However, it does have a digital display of the temperature and time, allowing better visibility. It works noiselessly and features a wide temperature range of 32-194-degree Fahrenheit. It can quickly get expert-approved as its brushless motor ensures powerful operation, and its ergonomic design allows you to use it easily.
- Waterproof as per the IPX7 standards
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to clean
- Less energy consumption
- May face problems with water circulation
7. Best Powerful: Bonsenkitchen Sous-Vide Cooker
One of the best-rated sous-vide machines, this culinary precision device comes with a powerful pump that can heat up to 15 liters of water effortlessly. It has a stable temperature control that helps deliver evenly cooked meals. The motor works noiselessly and has a 360-degree circulation pump. The machine automatically stops cooking and alerts you if the water level is lower than the minimum level. It also has an alarm to inform you when the food is ready. Its sensitive touchscreen control panel allows you to set and regulate the temperature and time.
- LCD screen is easy to read
- IPX7-certified waterproof
- Ergonomic design
- Instruction manual may be difficult to follow
8. Best Responsive: Keylitos Sous-Vide Cooker Machine
Equipped with a thermostat that can set the temperature from 77 to 194 degrees Fahrenheit, this is one of the best sous-vide machines. It efficiently distributes heat with a 360-degree water circulation system and heats the water quickly. The sous-vide immersion wand is waterproof, so there is no risk of damage from water vapor. This water-bath cooker also automatically stops the sous-vide process if the water level is not up to the mark and sends an alert in case of overheating. The adjustable clamp gets attached to containers easily. It has a clear LCD screen that ensures quick response and smooth operation.
- Adjustable clamp that fits numerous containers regardless of size
- Control panel detects touch smoothly
- Designed to minimize noise
- Compact and portable
- May not be durable
9. Best Easy-To-Store: KitchenFun Sous-Vide Cooker
The KitchenFun Sous-Vide Cooker is one of the best sous vide machines. This chef-grade sous-vide equipment is easy to operate and comes with an online cookbook that has thousands of recipes to experiment with. The brushless DC motor with a propeller is designed to let this gourmet cooking device work without making noise. Its high-precision control chip accurately monitors the temperature and ensures that the water has a steady temperature throughout the process. From meat to seafood, the tried-and-tested tenderizing machine can whip up a range of perfectly cooked dishes.
- IPX7-certified waterproof
- Comes with a flexible bracket
- Seamless water circulation
- Accurate temperature regulation
- Might take too long
10. Best Precise Temperature: Riimone Sous-Vide Precision Cooker Machine
With precisely controlled temperature and cooking time, this low-temperature cooking machine is equipped with an indicator that displays the cooking status. Its 3D water circulation system allows steady heating and increases speed per requirements. It comes with a plastic clamp to attach to the cookware. Easy to use and clean, its temperature range is 77 to 198.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Two-year warranty
- Has a powerful DC motor
- Includes a cookbook
- Has a precise heating system
- Clamp may be loose
How To Choose The Right Sous-Vide Machine?
Consider the following features when choosing the best sous-vide machine.
- Temperature accuracy: With most foods cooked using sous-vide, a temperature difference of one-degree Fahrenheit may give you a different product altogether. Look for a sous-vide machine that has precise temperature measurements.
- Time: Some sous-vide machines heat water faster than others. It’s always better to choose a sous-vide machine with a powerful heating element, which can warm a large volume of water quickly and maintain the temperature as you cook.
- Control panels: If you feel more comfortable with an app-controlled sous-vide machine, go for it. If not, choose one with onboard controls.
- One-size-fits-all: Consider a sous-vide machine that can fit in most containers, regardless of size or shape, for optimal convenience.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Amrit S, the author of this article, is an experienced writer, reviewer, and researcher, knowledgeable in kitchen appliances and their benefits. He has done thorough research to list the best sous-vide machines available in the market for our readers. Amrit has analyzed ratings and reviews of sous-vide machines to offer an unbiased opinion and ensure the readers are informed about the products they choose. He has also included a buying guide to help you learn more about the products and make an informed decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I sous-vide in an Instant Pot?
Several models of the Instant Pot can be used for sous-vide cooking. However, this method is not nearly as accurate as an immersion circulator. Unlike a machine explicitly designed for sous-vide cooking, Instant Pots take longer to heat up and do not maintain accurate water temperature.
2. What equipment do I need for sous-vide cooking?
The most important component you need is a reliable immersion circulator and a sizable container. Next, you’ll require some zip lock freezer bags with reliable seals. Get a spoon and some binder clips as well. You might also get a vacuum sealer if you use your immersion circulator frequently.
3. Can I sous-vide frozen meat?
Yes, you can sous-vide frozen meat. Thaw the meat in ice-cold water with the heat turned off, or prepare your food right from its frozen state. Sous-vide thaws food more quickly with circulation than other thawing techniques. It also helps reduce the risk of bacterial growth. You might use sous-vide to thaw frozen leftovers even if they weren’t cooked using this method.
4. Is sous-vide safe?
When done correctly, sous-vide cooking is relatively safe. It’s not necessary to heat something to a high temperature to pasteurize it – meals can be cooked for a longer period at a lower temperature for pasteurized food. Using sous-vide, you can prepare evenly cooked food all the way through without the risk of burning them or ending up with undercooked food. However, cooking beef below 130 degrees Fahrenheit is deemed unsafe, especially if it exceeds two hours. It gives leeway for any temperature variations.
5. Do I need a vacuum sealer to sous-vide?
Although not necessary, a vacuum sealer may come in handy. Depending on the food type, sturdy ziplock bags, leak-proof silicone bags, and canning jars can be used for sous-vide. The easiest way to remove the air from these bags is to place the food in the bag, press to remove as much air as possible, and then use the ziplock to seal all but a small corner of the bag. Submerge the partially sealed bag in the water bath until only the unsealed corner of the bag is above the water. The water will push out almost all of the air. Once the food appears tight against the bag, seal the corner and drop the bag into the bath to cook. If you frequently sous-vide large slices of meat, you might consider a vacuum sealer because it removes air more thoroughly.
6. What types of foods can I sous-vide?
You can prepare various dishes with sous-vide, from meat and eggs to pasta and veggies. It helps make difficult cuts of meat moist and tender because the low temperatures allow the thick collagen and fat to break down slowly.
Sous-vide is an innovative, expert-recommended way to create restaurant-quality meals at home, and the best sous-vide machines only make your job easier. Choose the best-rated sous-vide machines and relish healthy and scrumptious food whenever you want. Make sure you look for control panels that suit you best. While some heavily depend on their apps, others only have a manual control panel. Some are compact, while others are comparatively large. Whether buying your first sous-vide cooker or adding a new one to your collection, we hope this list helps you get a better understanding.
Infographic: Why Should You Buy A Sous-Vide Machine?
If you love cooking and trying gourmet and exotic dishes, sous-vide machines can be a useful technological addition to your kitchen. This device helps to heat water faster at a constant temperature for precision cooking. Explore the following infographic to learn more benefits of using this device for achieving better culinary results.