Five years of age is the perfect age to introduce your kids to STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) toys. The best STEM toys for 5-year-olds have been tested to improve various skills like cognitive and motor skills and overcome problem-solving challenges. These toys are like learning resources that can help encourage teamwork, patience, and collaborative play. The lessons they learn will be helping them even when they grow up. Further, they help instill a sense of eagerness in the kids to learn new things (1).
11 Best STEM Toys For 5-Year-Olds
Explore this interactive toy with the Genius Starter Kit by the award-winning brand Osmo, which facilitates hands-on learning in five different ways. This tablet has interactive learning games that allow a child to play with handheld pieces by watching the action on the screen. These skill-building and learning games motivate the child to do freehand drawing and also improve their spelling and vocabulary.
The set includes an Osmo base and reflector for the Fire tablet, tangram pieces, word tiles, number tiles, and much more. To get a better understanding of the product, you can check out this video on YouTube.
- Develops problem-solving and listening skills
- Provides stackable storage
- Stimulates curiosity and creativity
- Encourages spatial reasoning skills
- Directions may be a bit difficult for some
- Parent app may be slightly confusing
Orboot Earth is an excellent educational toy from PlayShifu that takes your child on a journey around the earth. It makes an excellent gift and is compatible with iPad and Android devices. The set comes equipped with a ten-inch globe, stamps, passport, country flag stickers, and a help guide.
Connect your device with the Orboot Earth app and let your children engage in experimentation and exploration, using more than 400 highlights and 1,000 world facts covering animals, cultures, monuments, inventions, maps, and cuisines of the world in different modes such as storytelling, music, voice interactions, and quizzes. The award-winning STEM toy is designed for children aged between four to ten years and helps enhance their curiosity and geographical knowledge. Check out the review of this product for more information.
- Encourages independent play
- Stimulates imagination
- Develops linguistic and cognitive skills
- Doesn’t require batteries to operate the globe
- Downloading may be time consuming
- Globe may not be secured to the stand
Suitable for multiple ages, this best-selling STEM toy from Jasonwell is a 116-piece engineering kit featuring creative activity games to develop children’s fine motor skills, fire their imagination, develop their creativity, and encourage teamwork. The learning toy set is equipped with several building blocks, nuts, bolts, and wheels that can be assembled to build different vehicles, robots, etc. All the pieces of this building kit are made of non-toxic materials.
- Easy to build
- Color and shape recognition toy
- Bolts designed with a built-in screwdriver slot
- Safety-tested and free of BPA, lead, and phthalate
- Some parts may not snap as expected
- Instruction manual may not be clear
This measurement and counting toy game set from CozyBomB is designed to improve children’s basic math skills. The Monkey Balance toy introduces numbers in a fun way to enhance your child’s learning capabilities. Each toy set includes 19 cute monkeys, 30 cards, ten numbers, a monkey balance, and two monkey balance pans. As per reviews, the game can be played at different levels—including digital recognition, learning to count, and additional formulas—and the toy pieces are made of non-toxic material.
- Introduces children to basic concepts of math
- Strengthens problem-solving skills
- Improves visual and spatial learning
- Easy to set up
- Ideal for kids aged three years and up
- Promotes parent-child interaction
- Monkey may wobble slightly
- Paint may peel a bit
Introduce your child to these cool dinosaurs to improve their imaginative skills. The entertaining Fundia dinosaur toy set includes a Tyrannosaurus Rex, a Triceratops, a Velociraptor, an electric drill, screws, and three manual screwdrivers. The STEM skill-building toys allow children to mix and match the three different dinosaurs to create new ones as per their imagination. Moreover, these toys are safety-tested, made with non-toxic ABS material, have smooth edges, and are CPSC-certified.
- Features functional mouth and movable arms, legs, and head
- Promotes critical thinking skills
- Drill comes with low-speed operation
- Improves hand-brain integration ability
- May contain many small pieces
- Assembly may be time-consuming for some
The pack contains 102 magnetic blocks, an idea booklet, and a storage bag. The transparent blocks are made of toxin-free materials, and have rounded edges, making them safe for children to play with. These magnetic blocks are easy to build and remain firmly held to each other. According to the reviewers, this building set is a great way to enhance children’s motor skills and spatial reasoning and let their imagination and creativity run free.
- Educational STEM and STEAM set
- Develops team-building skills
- Bright geometric shapes
- Open-ended design for hours of fun
- Convenient storage bag
- Should be used under parental supervision
- A few magnets may be weak
Nurture a love of nature in children with this tried-and-tested STEM toy set from Scientoy. As children build a colorful garden, they would also improve their team-building skills and hand-eye coordination. This set includes 130 toy pieces made of eco-friendly materials and can be stored safely in a green storage box. The pieces are easy to wash, and hence, they can be used on a beach and in the garden. Each toy piece has smooth edges to protect the delicate hands of children. Moreover, it makes a great toy set to teach young children about the different parts of a plant.
- Safety-tested and ASTM-, CPC-, CPSIA-certified
- Non-toxic and BPA-free
- Encourages building, sorting, and matching
- Enhances fine motor skills development
- Easy to assemble
- May not come with clear instruction
- Some parts may be a bit flimsy
Equipped with a foam board, these skill-building plastic blocks from Kids Korner are creative construction toys that can be played anytime, anywhere. The colorful connecting peg puzzle develops children’s color recognition, counting, stacking, and motor skills. In addition, the stack and lock design makes it an ideal toy to develop children’s hand-eye coordination and imagination as they build any shape they can think of. Besides, the fun STEM toy set is perfect for keeping your child busy when traveling.
- Suitable for children with autism
- Stimulates manipulative skills
- Doubles as a bath toy
- Teaches independent play
- Foam board may not be as thick as expected
- Some may have sharp edges
Hahaland’s robot and vehicle toy set is one of the best STEM toys for five-year-old boys and girls as it encourages both solo and collaborative play. Loved by many reviewers, the STEM toy robot and vehicle set includes five take-apart military vehicles and a one-piece robot with easy-to-follow instructions. No batteries are required, and the set is equipped with a child-friendly hand screwdriver and a large screw for easy installation. The construction pieces meet all the safety standards and are made with durable ABS material for long-lasting use.
- Robotic sounds and flashing lights
- Movable vehicles with wheels
- Rounded edges make it safe for children
- Thick and sturdy
- Assembling may be a little challenging
- May have too many parts
The educational STEM toy from Lukat is a perfect gifting item for both boys and girls. This engineering building block kit lets your child build their own trucks, robots, helicopters, and more with blocks, tools, nuts, and bolts provided with the kit. It can prove handy for early childhood education.
This building toy set of 165 pieces encourages your children to plan and build several toys, thus promoting teamwork and social skills. Further, the toy pieces are made of non-toxic and BPA-free material and can be stored conveniently in a sturdy storage box.
- Boosts logical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Enhances creative thinking and imagination
- Assembling may be a bit hard
- May contain small parts
Plumia’s 52-piece translucent magnetic tile set encourages your child to come up with innovative creations using their imagination. The magnetic blocks are made of durable, food-grade ABS material that is non-toxic and free of phthalate and latex. These STEM toys can be a supplementary educational tool to develop children’s math, science, and tactical skills. Moreover, the colorful set can keep your children entertained for hours.
- Has burr-free edges
- Convenient to store
- Develops parent-child interaction
- Enhances problem-solving skills
- Some may not snap together
- Magnets may not be as strong as expected
How To Choose The Right STEM Toys For 5-Year-Olds?
Here are a few tips to guide you in choosing the right STEM toy for five-year-olds.
- Age-appropriate toys: Each STEM toy is marked with an age range. Construction-based toys and challenging puzzles are better for five-year-olds. Before you purchase the toy, check its label to learn the age group for which it has been designed.
- Safe material: Since these toys are meant for young children, always make sure they are made with non-toxic materials.
- Instruction manual: Purchase a toy that comes with an instructional manual for smooth play.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a product writer and reviewer who is passionate about finding the latest and most useful toys for children of all ages. Her systematic research approach involves analyzing several credible sources and gathering information about the products with the highest positive reviews. For this list of the best STEM toys for five-year-olds, she has followed the same process and put together a list of toys your children will love. She has also included a buying guide to help you make an informed purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do stem toys strengthen a parent-child bond?
Stem toys encourage interaction as your child asks questions and you teach them. It reinforces learning and builds strong parent-child bonding.
2. Are stem toys worth it?
Stem toys are effective in improving cognitive skills. They also help your child build interest in core disciplines—engineering, mechanical, chemical, and more.
3. Do stem toys help the development of a five-year-old?
Introducing stem toys at an early age contributes to the child’s development as it improves gross motor, problem-solving, and cognitive skills and promotes creativity. These toys introduce math and science concepts to your child, encouraging an early approach.
STEM toys are designed to promote learning through play in toddlers, and when you invest in the right toy, it helps develop various skills. Learning becomes more fun when you introduce your 5-year-old to colorful and interesting toys. When buying a STEM toy for 5-year-olds, make sure it is moderately challenging to keep your toddler interested and occupied. Besides, the toy should be free of toxic materials and not have any sharp edges or small parts that could pose a choking hazard.
Infographic: Benefits Of Playing With STEM Toys For 5-Year-Olds
STEM toys are a fun way to introduce your children to science, technology, engineering, and mathematical concepts. Since a five-year-old child would soon begin schooling, knowing about these subjects would help and encourage them to do better. Check out the infographic below to learn more benefits of playing with STEM toys for children.
- Important Milestones: Your Child By Five Years.