Childhood is all about learning, including the transition from being fed to learning how to eat independently. This can be messy and troublesome, for which you will need the best suction bowl for babies. These bowls remain fixed to the table’s surface, saving food from spilling, sliding, or slipping. Thanks to such bowls, mealtimes can now be more organized and systematic. To help you choose the best suction bowls for your tiny tots, here is a list of some tried-and-tested options.
15 Best Suction Bowls For Babies And Toddlers
1. Best Non-Toxic: Bamboo Bamboo Baby Bowls And Spoon Set
Bamboo Bamboo baby bowl has a suction bottom to keep the baby from flipping or tipping over the bowl. It comes with a matching feeding spoon. The material is free of toxins and made from natural wood, and does not get hot to protect the baby from burns. You can remove the suction bottom as the child grows.
- Food-grade silicone suction keeps cups in place
- Naturally anti-bacterial and microbial
- FDA-approved and safety-tested bamboo bowl
- Available in a variety of colors
- May not be crack-resistant
- May attract mold
2. Best Freezer-Compatible: Bumkins Suction Silicone Baby Feeding Set
Made from food-grade, BPA-free silicone, this bowl includes a double-ended spoon. The suction base keeps the bowl from tipping over, slipping, or sliding. Its curved handles are easy to grasp. It is a trusted choice for your child’s safety, thanks to its material that is free of toxic chemicals, petroleum-based plastics, PVC, lead, and phthalates. This feeding bowl is freezer- and microwave-safe.
- Spoon is apt for feeding purees
- Does not leave residual taste/smell
- Has a lid for storing leftovers
- Suction may not be adequate for granite tops
- Spoon may not be suitable for independent eating
3. Best Dishwasher-Safe: Oxo Tot Stick & Stay Suction Bowl
Oxo Tot stick and stay baby bowl has a suction base to keep it steady on tabletops. The non-slip silicone is free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates. Suitable for babies over six months, this bowl is microwave- and dishwasher-safe.
- Does not damage any surface
- Easy for grownups to remove
- Deep walls encourages scooping
- Bowl and pad separate for ease of cleaning
- May not be easy to clean oil stains
- May not suit highchair trays
Best Freezer Compatible
Best Dishwasher Safe
|Bamboo Bamboo Baby Bowls And Spoon Set||Bumkins Suction Silicone Baby Feeding Set||Oxo Tot Stick & Stay Suction Bowl|
|Weight||11.5 ounces||7.2 ounces||4.9 ounces|
|Package Dimensions||6.33 x 6.02 x 3.18 inches||-||-|
|Dimensions||-||4.5"W x 2.5"H||6.97"W x 2.6"H|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best Durable: Olababy 100% Silicone Suction Bowl With Lid
The 100% silicone bowl comes with a spill-resistant lid for easy storing and portability. Its suction base sticks to the table’s surface, preventing spills and messes. Designed with a smart lip, it makes scooping and scraping easy. The durable and safe material is non-toxic, BPA-free, and can sustain hot and cold temperatures.
- Soft silicone does not hurt the baby’s soft gums
- Helps in smooth transition to solid foods
- Made of high-quality silicone
- Safe to use in the freezer, microwave, and dishwasher.
- Suitable for independent eating
- May lose suction power over time
- Smell and taste of food may transfer
5. Best Anti-Slip: Mushie Silicone Suction Bowl
Mushie silicone suction bowl can help minimize spills and flips when your child is eating. Its anti-skid material and design keep the bowl from being displaced. The material is free of BPA, phthalate, and PVC. The bowl does not get hot, protecting your child from burns.
- Made of food-grade silicone
- Can be washed using soapy water
- Available in 11 pastel colors
- May retain food odors
- May be slightly smaller than expected
6. Best Portable: Ezpz Tiny Bowl
The bowl is designed with a built-in placemat that fits all highchair tables. Ideal for children above four months, the bowl helps them eat independently without making a mess. The bowl is portable, long-lasting, and free of BPA, BPS, PVS, latex, and phthalates, making it a trusted choice among parents. It does not corrode or fade and is microwave-and dishwasher-safe.
- Compact, lightweight and travel-friendly
- Comes in a reusable bag
- Does not deteriorate with use
- Available in four colors to choose from
- May absorb detergent smell
- Babies with well-developed fine motor skills may be able to lift the bowl
7. Best Heat-Proof: Primo Passi Baby Suction Bowl With Utensils
Primo Passi portable bowl with strong suction makes it easy to feed your baby. The three-piece set includes a toddler bowl with a curved spoon and a fork. It is designed with storage grooves for the cutlery, making it a convenient traveling companion. The grips are heat-proof, and the bowl is microwavable without the lid. It has a 13.5-ounce capacity and measures 6.5x3x6 inches.
- Practical and stylish design
- Helps encourage self-feeding
- Available in three colors
- May develop an oily layer over time
- Suction may reduce eventually
8. Best Food-Grade: UpwardBaby Toddler Plate And Bowl Placemats
Made from 100% food-grade silicone, this baby plate and bowl set is non-toxic and free of lead, phthalate, and PVC. It offers a hassle-free way for toddlers to practice self-feeding. The mom-approved set has a strong suction suitable for most flat high chairs. The bowl and divided suction plate are safe for the microwave, dishwasher, and freezer for convenient use.
- Large enough for baby foods and snacks
- Four compartments for separating foods
- FDA-approved and safety-tested baby plate and bowl
- Suitable for gifting for birthdays
- May not stick to tiled surfaces
- Some highchairs may not be able to accommodate the bowl
Made from high-quality bamboo, the mommy-approved suction baby bowl by Avanchy is naturally hypoallergenic. The suction ring is easily removable and dishwasher-safe, making it easy to clean and maintain without leaving behind any food residue. Apart from facilitating Baby-Led Weaning (BLW), the spoon features a flexible tip that is soft on the gums. Additionally, the spoon has an ergonomic handle, making it easy to grip by small baby hands.
- Free of BPA and BPS
- Eco-friendly bamboo bowl
- Lead- and phthalate-free
- Compatible with most high-chairs
- Features a simple design
- Rounded edges and smooth finish
- May not be heat-resistant
- May not be mold-resistant
10. Best Child-Safe: ChooMee Baby Suction Bowls
The bowl’s strong suction base prevents the child from spilling or tipping over the food. It is made from 100% platinum-grade silicone material that is BPA-free and child-safe. The Dual Flex technology provides a thin, durable, and firm bowl wall, while the suction is soft yet strong. The four-ounce baby-friendly bowls are available in six vibrant colors.
- Useful for introducing solid food with less mess
- Unique and handmade
- Microwave-, oven- and freezer-safe silicone product
- Has strong walls for scooping
- Meets US and European safety standards
- May be smaller than expected
The suction bowls by the trusted brand Munchkin come in a convenient pack of three. These bowls are designed in different sizes, making them suitable for various meals. The suction base prevents spills and falls, facilitating a mess-free self-feeding experience, while the quick-release tab allows parents to release the suction for easy removal. The suction bases of these feeding products are permanently attached to the bowls for added convenience.
- Spill-proof design
- Durable and lightweight design
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Spoons/ forks are not included
- Color may fade with use
12. Best Plastic-Free: Nummy Bowl
Made of 100% platinum silicone, the plastic-free bowl is non-toxic and stackable for convenient storage. The strong suction base sticks tightly on any highchair table. This easy-to-use and safety-tested bowl helps a child eat independently and develops hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. It is microwave- and dishwasher- safe.
- Easy-release tab for safe release of suctioning
- Suction bowl is stackable for easy storage
- Helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Meets the FDA and German LFGB food contact standards
- Available in five colors and two collections
- May retain detergent smell
- May experience wear and tear over time
13. Best Travel-Friendly: Ashtonbee Baby Bowls With Suction
Ashtonbee’s three-piece baby bowl set has strong suction bottoms that hold them in place. The one-piece design is made from high-quality, food-grade plastic, free of BPA, PVC, lead, and phthalates. The toddler suction bowls come with lids, making them travel- and storage-friendly.
- Lightweight and stackable
- Easy to clean using warm water and soap
- Available in three sizes and colors
- Suitable for gifting for expecting parents
- May not be sterilization-friendly
- Suction power may decrease due to moisture
14. Best BPA-Free: Termichy Silicone Suction Bowl
Constructed from 100% BPA-free silicone, the bowl has a strong suction base that keeps the bowl steady on different surfaces. This hygienic bowl can reduce spills, slides, and tip-overs. Suitable for children above six months, the bowl features a playful design, is dishwasher-safe, and can withstand the freezer or the microwave’s high or low temperatures.
- Resistant to odors and stains
- Affordable silicone product
- Comes in a cute design
- Durable and chip-resistant
- Can help in learning to self-feed
- Suction power may decrease over time
15. Best Grip: Camkyde Baby Bowls
Dishwasher-and microwave-safe, the bowl comes with a matching spoon and fork made from 100% pure silicone. Its material is non-toxic and child-safe. Suitable for babies of six months and above, the baby-friendly bowl and cutlery are easy to grip, and the non-slip suction base holds the bowl firmly to the surface. Its quick-release tabs help you remove the bowl easily.
- Suitable for practicing eating
- Spoon and fork fits perfectly into the bowl
- Lead- and phthalate-free toddler suction bowl
- Unique raised scooping design
- Available in six colors
- May not hold shape in the long run
How To Choose The Right Suction Bowls For Babies And Toddlers?
Here are some tips for choosing the best suction bowls for your child.
- Material safety: Silicone and food-grade plastic are safe for children as they are non-toxic. Pick safe materials that are free of BPA, PVC, lead, and phthalates. Silicone is also resistant to bacteria.
- Design: Choose suction bowls with bright colors and prints, double-handles, curved lips, and lids for easy storage, portability, and more. Consider a bowl with a detachable suction cup or ring for easy maintenance.
- Resistance: The bowl should be durable and corrosion-resistant to withstand wear and tear. It needs to be heat-resistant to prevent accidental burns.
- Additional features: Make sure the bowl is microwave-, freezer-, and dishwasher-safe.
Tips For Using Suction Bowls
Here are some tips on how to use baby suction bowls and suction plates.
- No play rule: If your child is strong, they can pull off the suction bowl from the table as you remove it. It is required to teach your child that mealtime is not playtime.
- Pay attention: If your child is not eating or playing with the food for long, take it as a sign that they are not hungry. Avoid force-feeding. Also, removing the bowl within a stipulated time will teach them to eat while the food is available.
- Removing bowl: You may sometimes have a problem getting the bowl off the surface if the suction is too strong. Slide the bowl to the edge of the table until it’s slightly off the table to loosen the suction. Do not try to pull it up straight.
- Added suction: If you feel the suction of your bowl is not adequate, add a few drops of water under the bowl to offer a more secure hold.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our in-house baby product writer and reviewer, Vibha Navarathna, has scoured numerous trusted websites and user reviews to curate this list of the best suction bowls for babies. Her decision-making process involves comparing products based on criteria such as material and durability and filtering her list to include only the top-rated products. She also sheds light on how to choose and use suction bowls for babies to have a mealtime with fewer messes and spills.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I microwave my baby’s bowl?
You can microwave bowls that are marked microwave-safe. Bowls that do not have the label should not be used in the microwave (2). However, one should remove the lids as bowls often have lids made from non-microwavable material.
2. When should I start using baby suction bowls?
You can use suction bowls when your baby is around nine months old. By this age, babies can pick food between their fingers and thumb off a bowl (3).
3. Do suction bowls and plates work on all surfaces?
Surfaces non-penetrable by air, water, and other particles are better suited for suction bowls. Surfaces with bends or texture may sustain suction for only a short time.
Since mealtime with a newborn can be incredibly messy and make the whole clean-up experience overwhelming, it is wise to invest in suction bowls for babies. These bowls come in lovely prints, designs, and a variety of colors and make the feeding process easier. They also help you teach the child to eat slowly and properly without spilling, which means you don’t have to worry much about clean-ups. When choosing the right suction bowl for your little one, make sure it is made of safe, durable materials and provides good suction.
Infographic: Advantages Of Using Suction Bowls For Babies
Suction bowls are the perfect transitional utensils that facilitate baby-led weaning. With their strong suction base, mealtime becomes easier and more enjoyable for both parents and little ones. To further learn the benefits of using suction bowls, explore the following infographic, which lists the bowl’s features and merits.
- Children learning to feed themselves
- Use only microwave safe containers when cooking and reheating foods
- Feeding Your 8- to 12-Month-Old