If you go on an outdoor adventure during summer, you need certain essentials such as an SPF lotion, a sun hat, light and breezy clothes, and gloves. So, here’s our list of the best sun protection gloves to help you choose the right one. These gloves come in handy on days when you have to engage in outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, cycling, and more.
Reapplying sunscreen every hour doesn’t guarantee sunburn protection and can be quite inconvenient. So, these gloves are a practical option to keep your hands safe from direct sunlight. Browse our list of products and features to choose one that suits your needs.
Our Top Picks
Benefits Of Sun Protection Gloves
Harmful UV rays can cause sunburn and affect the topmost layer of the skin. Sun protection gloves help avoid direct contact with sun rays. They also
- Protect hand from cuts, inflammation and abrasions.
- Help avoid sweaty hands.
- Provide good grip for several outdoor activities like driving, cycling, fishing, etc.
- Keep hands cool and comfortable.
- Protect skin from harmful UV radiations.
13 Best Sun Protection Gloves In 2022
1. Best Lightweight: KastKing Sol Armis SPF 50 Fingerless Gloves
These fingerless gloves feature a pattern that mirrors and blends with the outdoors. It provides SPF 50 protection and a comfortable, snug fit to the wearer. Designed by a team of professional anglers, and crafted with breathable poly-Spandex fabrics, these gloves keep your hands cool and prevent sunburns. It also comes with a touch synthetic leather palm for extra padding and easy gripping of items like fishing rods without hurting your palms.
- ¾ fingerless gloves
- 4-way stretch
- Integrated pull tabs on the wrist and middle finger
- Extended cuff
- Available in other nature-inspired colors
- It may take a long time to dry.
2. Best Stretchable: Palmyth UPF 50+ UV Protection Gloves
Although these are fingerless gloves, the ¾ finger-length design of it provides maximum sun protection. It offers certified UPF 50+ and SPF protection that is incorporated into the stitching, which means that even when the gloves are wet, the UV protection element doesn’t wear off. It comes with an open-palm design to prevent excessive sweat buildup and the MythAirflow technology transfers moisture and sweat to dry areas of the glove. The index and middle fingers are reinforced with synthetic leather for a better grip.
- Dries quickly
- Stretchable material
- Long cuff for added protection
- Wrist and finger pull tabs
- Available in many colors
- Some may find the gloves thinner than expected.
3. Best Machine-Washable: Glacier Glove Sun Gloves
Suitable for both men and women who care about their skin but also like to look stylish while doing so, these fingerless gloves are made of 85% Lycra and 15% synthetic leather. The leather accents and patches, which are sewn into the palm area, add a chic edge to the gloves while providing a comfortable, non-slip grip.
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- Breathable materials and design
- Doesn’t feature adjustable wrist straps.
4. Best Comfortable: Coolibar Sun Protection Gloves For Ladies
Although these gloves are lightweight, they provide maximum protection from the harsh rays of the sun. Made of a high-quality polyester and spandex blend, these gloves block out up to 98% of UV radiation. Ideal for a midday stroll around the park or taking your pet out for a walk, these gloves feature a “CoolTect” technology, which keeps your skin cool and comfortable.
- Silicone print on the palm
- Stretchable mesh construction
- Machine washable
- Available in different colors and floral patterns
- May not be suitable for outdoor activities like fishing and kayaking.
5. Best Non-Slip: Maxdot Summer Gloves For Sun Protection
Tiny white polka dots make everything instantly cuter, don’t they? These fingerless gloves designed for women are ideal for sun protection for lighter activities like taking a walk, skipping rope, and driving. Each finger has small holes integrated on either side to allow better ventilation and maximum breathability.
- Non-slip silicone pattern on the palm
- Soft and light fabric
- Made of cotton
- Stretchable material
- Long cuffs
- Available in pink, grey, beige, and black
- Although it claims to be a “one size fits all” glove, it may be loose for women with petite hands and slender fingers.
6. Best Soft: Flammi Sun Protection Hand Gloves For Women
One of the easiest ways to protect our hands from the sun’s harmful rays, heat, and other such environmental pollutants is by covering them up with a high-quality yet comfortable pair of gloves. Made of stretchable and thin fabric, these gloves provide UPF 50 protection to reduce skin damage. It is also moisture-wicking, which means that your hands will stay dry the whole time you have the gloves on.
- Calms your palms cool
- Mesh fabric and holes on each finger
- Silicone print for better grip
- Available in other colors
- Suitable for driving
- Some may feel that the seams are a little bulky.
7. Best Sweat-Absorbent: Bememo UV Protection Gloves
If your work requires you to put in hours of manual labor under the sun, these gloves will be the perfect fit for you. It covers your palms and the back of your hand from the sweltering heat while leaving your fingers exposed for better dexterity. The thumb hole is ergonomically placed and won’t interfere with your day-to-day activities.
- Made of modal cotton
- Stretchable and light
- Extra-long cuff
- Pack of 4 gloves
- May not offer a good fit for men.
8. Best For Better Dexterity: Outdoor Research Activeice Spectrum Sun Gloves
Finding a great pair of sun protection gloves for the outdoors can be challenging. Some may offer SPF protection but make your palms sweat while others may make your hands feel stuffy and itchy. But with these lightweight cooling sun gloves, all your outdoor adventures will be extra comfortable. These fingerless gloves provide SPF 50+ protection and the Activeice technology featuring xylitol crystals keeps your hands cool and dry.
- Tapered cuff for a tight fit
- Anti-slip palm
- Made with recycled polyester
- Available in neon blue and green
- The seams on the cuff could use reinforced sewing.
9. Best Elasticity: Boao Cooling Arm Sleeves
Taking care of our skin doesn’t begin and end with skincare products alone. A full-length pair of gloves that cover your entire arm is a great way to show some extra love to your skin. Made of skin-friendly materials, these arm sleeves provide excellent coverage and protection. It covers your palm and keeps your fingers open so that you can participate in many activities without your hands feeling constricted.
- Dries quickly
- Suitable for all seasons
- No pilling
- Superior elasticity
- Pack of 10
- Some may find the thumb hole slightly uncomfortable.
10. Best For All Seasons: Adapt Tackle UPF 50+ Fingerless Gloves With Neck Gaiter
Go fishing or cycle around the city in style and comfort with a little help from this glove and neck gaiter set. Both the gloves and the gaiter shield you from the harsh rays and the unrelenting heat while giving you unparalleled comfort. The gloves are crafted with premium-grade lycra and spandex and feature synthetic leather pads on the outer corners of the palm area along with the index and middle finger for an excellent grip.
- Finger and cuff pull-out tabs
- ¾ finger design
- Storage pouch
- Available in 2 other styles and colors
- The size may run a little large.
11. Best Fast-Drying: Bassdash Sun Protection Gloves For Fishing
Perfect for those who love to spend their weekends fishing with their family and friends, these poly-spandex gloves are a good choice for UPF 50+ protection. It offers a snug yet relaxed fit as it is 4-way stretchable. Synthetic microfiber anti-slip leather patches sewn into the palm area and the index and middle finger, making it easy to grab and hold onto things.
- ¾ finger length
- Easy pull off tabs
- Lightweight fabric
- Dries super fast
- Long cuff
- Doesn’t feature adjustable wrist-straps.
These gloves are made of breathable cotton, elastane, and bamboo viscose; they are lightweight and do not irritate. You may also use these gloves for activities like cycling, gardening, golfing, and much more.
- Provides warmth
- Good stretch
- Offers UPF50+ protection
- The size may not be suitable for all
For those in search of gloves offering a good grip, Boao can be the one. These gloves have tiny bumps throughout the surface, offering a good grip on the steering wheel while driving. As these sun protection gloves for driving are made of breathable material, they are ideal for summers.
- Prevents tanning
- Can be used during outdoor activities
- Has good elasticity
- Available in multiple colors
- The material may not be durable
How To Choose The Right Sun Protection Gloves
Buying a pair of gloves may not be difficult. But these tips can hepl you make a better choice.
- UPF 50+ protection: If you want sun protection gloves for extremely hot conditions, look for gloves that provide UPF or SPF 50+ protection. A rating as much as 50+ can block up to 95% of the sun’s rays. The higher the rating, the higher the protection. However, if you live in moderately warm climates and are looking for gloves for walks or driving a car, you may settle for gloves that offer UPF 15+ protection.
- Material: As you will be wearing sun protection gloves for long hours, go for breathable materials that don’t make your palms sweaty or your fingers itchy. Although the most stretchable gloves provide the maximum level of comfort, keep in mind that they tend to thin out with extended use.
- Design: There are mainly three types of sun protection gloves. If you are looking for full-coverage that extends beyond your wrists, look for an anti-slip arm sleeve that covers your entire arm up to shoulders. Arm sleeves are also useful during winter as they keep you warm. For outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, and fishing, go for a synthetic glove with three-fourth finger-length. Ensure that these gloves come with an anti-skip palm for better dexterity. If it features an adjustable Velcro wrist-cuff, it’s a big win. For less strenuous activities like strolling around the park or driving, choose thin and stretchable cotton gloves.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do UV protection gloves work?
Yes, UV protection gloves are a physical method of sun protection. These gloves are made by combining several fabrics, mostly spandex, nylon, or polyester blends. These fabrics prevent UV rays from reaching the skin. Just like SPF, the protective capacity of gloves is measured as UPF (ultraviolet protective factor). SPF and UPF factors offer similar protection. A fabric that offers UPF 50+ protection prevents 98% of UV rays. So always check for UPF numbers before purchasing gloves (1).
2. Which color is best for sun protection?
Darker colors are the best for sun protection. Colors like black, red, or navy blue absorb more UV rays and reduce their penetration. On the other hand, lighter colors like white or pastels may only offer a UPF of 5 (2).
Shielding your hands with gloves is a good way to keep them protected from the sun’s harmful rays and annoying sunburns. Investing in a good pair of sun protection gloves is not just a smart choice for today, but also for the long run. When sunscreen lotions just don’t seem to cut it, we must look for something extra, don’t we? Fortunately, the solution is a comfortable pair of gloves. We hope that you found a pair that’s best suited for you.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Poulami Nag, a fashion enthusiast and writer, has an eye for the best when it comes to clothing, shoes, and jewelry. Her interest and style quotient allows her to present the best sun protection gloves that look trendy and are designed to suit your comfort. She presents a list that is highly researched and helps you choose the right fit according to your personal preferences. Poulami has chosen the products based on customer feedbacks to ensure high quality and to offer you an unbiased opinion.
- Sun Protective Clothing.
- Dress To Protect: 5 Things That Affect How Well Your Clothes Block UV Rays.
- Best Winter Gloves For Kids
- Best Driving Gloves
- Best Mountaineering Gloves
- Best Dishwashing Gloves For Protecting