Sunscreens can help prevent irritation in children suffering from eczema. Here, we have included a list of the best sunscreen for kids with eczema to make your search easy. The most common signs of eczema in kids are red rashes, itchy round patches, and scaly skin. When exposed to sunlight, these signs tend to worsen. On the other hand, a good quality sunscreen can help calm the skin and protect it from further irritation. Take a look at some sunscreens that protect the skin from eczema. However, you should seek a dermatologist’s advice before using these products.
Our Top Picks
10 Best Sunscreens For Kids With Eczema
1. Best Non-Oily: Baby Bum Moisturizing Lotion
Baby Bum sunscreen is specially formulated for toddlers and babies. It is non-oily and absorbs quickly on the face and body while offering SPF 50 protection. The lotion contains shea butter, avocado oil, aloe, cocoa butter, and monoi coconut oil that help nourish and hydrate all skin types. It is free of parabens, phthalates, dyes, cruelty, and gluten.
2. Best Water And Sweat Resistant: Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Zinc Oxide Sunscreen
With SPF 50, this sunscreen provides broad-spectrum protection for your little one’s skin against UVA and UVB radiations. It is gentle on the baby’s skin and easily locks in moisture. The lotion contains oats and naturally sourced 100%zinc oxide as the active ingredients. It is water-and sweat-resistant for up to 80 minutes. The sunscreen is non-greasy and free of fragrances, parabens, and phthalates.
3. Best UVA And UVB Protection: Banana Boat Simply Protect Sensitive Clear Sunscreen Spray
Banana Boat mineral sunscreen contains SPF 50 and provides broad-spectrum protection from UVB and UVA. It is made from naturally sourced zinc and manufactured without oxybenzone, parabens, added oils, or synthetic fragrances. The sunscreen is hypoallergenic, lightweight, water-resistant, and is gentle on sensitive skin.
4. Best Pediatrician-Recommended: Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen
Mineral-based and made from zinc oxide, this SPF 30 + sunscreen is water-resistant for 80 minutes. The bottle changes color when exposed to UV rays due to its smart bottle technology. It is free of harmful ingredients and is pediatrician-recommended for sensitive skin.
5. Best Lightweight: Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen Lotion
Babo botanicals’ sunscreen is a lightweight, non-whitening, and fast-absorbing lotion suitable for sensitive skin. It is made from 100% non-nano zinc, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, avocado, and watercress. This water-resistant sunscreen can be reapplied every 80 minutes and is free of dairy, walnuts, gluten, and peanuts.
6. Best Paraben-Free: CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen
Created in collaboration with dermatologists, this sunscreen offers broad-spectrum protection. It is a 100% mineral sunscreen that reflects the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB radiations. Three essential ceramides and hyaluronic acid are included in the formula to help repair the skin and lock in moisture. It is free of parabens, fragrances, and chemical filters and is suitable for sensitive skin.
7. Best For Sensitive Skin: Mustela Baby Mineral Sunscreen Lotion
Mustela sunscreen lotion for the body and face is suitable for babies and sensitive skin. The texture is sheer, lightweight, and water-resistant. It doesn’t contain chemical UV filters. This lotion is paraben-and fragrance-free and contains ingredients, including coconut oil, zinc oxide, and macadamia oil.
8. Best Reef-Friendly: Earth Mama Uber-Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen Lotion
Made from colloidal oatmeal and shea butter, it is water-resistant for nearly 40 minutes. It is approved by dermatologists and pediatricians and is clinically tested for irritation. The lotion is reef-friendly, does not contain artificial fragrances or parabens, and is suitable for sensitive skin.
9. Best Chemical-Free: Project Sunscreen Kids Mineral Sunscreen Roll-On Lotion
Project Sunscreen roll contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as active components. This lotion is free of chemicals, parabens, and fragrances. Its rollerball application and quick-drying formula make the application easy. It has SPF 50 and is water-resistant for about 80 minutes.
10. Best Biodegradable: Trukid Eczema Daily Sunscreen
The non-nano mineral sunscreen is made from aloe vera, jojoba oil, sunflower oil, and other natural ingredients that softly nourish the skin. It is best suitable for babies with sensitive skin. The sunscreen is free of fragrances, parabens, phthalates, and cruelty. The product is biodegradable and comes in a recyclable pack. It has SPF 30 and should be reapplied every 40 minutes.
This information given in this section has been taken from manufacturers’ sources. MomJunction is not responsible for any of the claims made here. We recommend readers’ discretion.
How To Choose The Right Sunscreen For Kids With Eczema?
Here are a few tips to remember before buying sunscreen for kids with eczema. However, it is wise to consult your doctor to ensure the product does not flare up eczema.
- Mineral sunscreen: Mineral actives are preferred by most dermatologists for sensitive skin According to the FDA, the two sunscreen chemicals — zinc oxide and titanium dioxide — are considered effective and safe.
- Lotions: Lotions are preferred over sprays as they are easy to apply. Sprays don’t work as effectively as lotions.
- Water-resistant: Water-resistant sunscreens are preferable for beach or pool outings. But, as no sunscreen is completely waterproof, they have to be reapplied often.
- Broad-spectrum: The word “broad-spectrum” indicates that the sunscreen protects against UVB and UVA radiation. Choose a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 to 50.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I still need sunscreen when it’s cloudy?
Yes, you need sunscreen even if it’s raining or overcast. This is because clouds do not prevent harmful UVA and UVB radiations from affecting your skin. Though you may feel cool on a cloudy day, the UVA and UVB radiations can still be absorbed by your skin.
- What are the different types of sunscreens?
Mineral sunscreens and chemical sunscreens are the two types of sunscreens available. Each variety employs a unique technique for screening UV radiation to help prevent skin damage.
- What are UVA and UVB radiations?
UVB and UVA are the two forms of ultraviolet rays that reach the earth’s surface. Sunburn is caused by ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation. UVA rays penetrate deeper into the skin and play a more significant role in premature skin aging.
- Does higher SPF mean better or long-lasting?
High-SPF sunscreens don’t offer extra protection. However, according to the EWG and the Skin Cancer Foundation, higher SPF creams are relatively better at protecting you against UVB. UVB radiation is blocked about 97% by SPF 30, 98% by SPF 50, and 99% by SPF 100.
- What do EWG ratings mean?
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) evaluates and ranks specific chemicals based on their toxicity. For example, if an ingredient is five, the product may have an overall safe grade based on how much of that item is present and how it blends with other safer substances.
When selecting sunscreen for your baby’s eczema-prone skin, you want to ensure it won’t irritate. We hope this list of the best sunscreens for kids with eczema will help you find the right one.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Summer is the most loved season for outdoor plays. However, for kids who have skin conditions, such as eczema, over-exposure to sunlight might cause further skin damage. Sunscreen can help protect your child from severe skin damage and irritation. If you are keen to buy one, explore our list of the best sunscreens for kids, which we have compiled after considering the quality, ingredients, and safety. We have also detailed the specifications of each of these products and also shared a buying guide to help you make a well-informed choice.
- Best Spray Sunscreens For Kids
- Best Sunscreen Stick For Kids And Babies
- Best Smelling Sunscreens
- Best Aveeno Products For Your Baby
- Best Body Lotion For Kids