When your little one is born as a preemie, they might not be ready for the worldly sounds and lights. Thanks to the best swaddle for preemie, with which your little one can feel protected and warm. Preemies have sensitive skin, so having a swaddle designed especially for them is essential. Right from designs resembling a sack to fasteners to wrap up the baby regardless of indoors or outdoors, our review of the swaddles would bring you the best. Check them here.
Our Top Picks
7 Best Swaddles For Preemies
1. Best Cotton: SwaddleMe Original Swaddle
The SwaddleMe Original swaddle comes in three sizes or stages, suitable for babies weighing from 7lb to 18lb. These swaddles are made from ultra-soft 100% cotton and make the baby feel warm and secure. They help prevent the baby from getting startled and engulf them in a womb-like feel. The fabric is machine-washable.
2. Best Durable: Bublo Baby Preemie Swaddle Blanket Wrap
For a baby weighing up to seven pounds, the Bublo Baby swaddles could be the right choice. The pack has three wraps made of 100% cotton and is delicate on the baby’s sensitive skin. Available in three sizes, the swaddle sacks envelop the child in a womb-like comfort. They provide warmth, security and keep the baby from getting startled. Durability and longevity are some added features of this swaddle.
3. Best Breathable Cotton: The Original Woombie Baby Swaddling Blanket
A combination of 95% cotton and 5% spandex, Woombie swaddling wrap is ideal for babies weighing from 5lb to 13lb. The blanket is in a wearable sack form that makes the baby’s transition from the womb to the outside world easier. It is made from breathable cotton that provides proper ventilation. A two-way zipper makes diaper changes easier.
4. Best With Moisture-Wicking Technology: Halo Sleepsack Micro-fleece Swaddle
Halo baby swaddle is a sleep-sack made from 100% polyester micro-fleece fabric. It offers a cuddled sleep to your preemie. The plush is super-soft and is designed with moisture-wicking technology. It keeps the baby warm and minimizes the startle reflex. The three-way adjustable swaddle also has inverted zippers for easy diaper changes. This swaddle is suitable for babies weighing up to 5lb.
5. Best For Double-Layered Hat: Pesaat Cotton Baby Swaddle Hat Set
Pesaat baby wrap is made of high-quality cotton that is soft and comforting. The double-layered hat keeps the head warm with its stretchable, snug fit. Available in various colors and sizes for your growing baby, these swaddles are easy to put on and suitable for everyday wear.
6. Best For Sensitive Skin: MioRico Baby Swaddle Blankets
The organic cotton swaddles from MioRico are ideal for newborn babies. They are available in various sizes for your growing baby. The lightweight, breathable fabric is gentle on sensitive skin. The blanket features an adjustable hook-and-loop fastener that allows you to tighten the wrap snugly around the child. It keeps the arms wrapped in to minimize startling and provides a womb-like feeling for the baby.
7. Best Super Warm: Kermode Baby Swaddle Blanket
Cute preemie wraps from Kermode are great for gifting and self-use. This ultra-soft baby swaddle comes in a teddy bear style with separate leg pockets, hook-and-loop fasteners, and a no-tail design. These wearable blankets are made of faux cashmere, are super warm, and can be used indoors and outdoors. The versatile sack swaddle is gender-neutral and can be used in a stroller too.
How To Choose The Right Preemie Swaddle?
Here are some points to consider when buying a preemie swaddle.
- Material: Consider swaddles made of cotton as they are breathable and allow proper ventilation. They also have moisture-wicking properties to prevent sweat accumulation. Fleece is also good for colder places.
- Stretch: Pick a stretchable swaddle so the baby can freely move their hands and legs. It will also provide the perfect snug fit.
- Purpose: Consider a saddle with a sack-like design or hook-and-loop or velcro fasteners. These keep the blanket tight and curb startling reflexes. If you are looking for a swaddle blanket to move the baby out of the wrap slowly, pick a stretchable and open swaddle.
- Size and age: Swaddles come in various sizes, depending on the age or weight of the baby. Pick the right size to keep your baby comfortable and safe. A loose swaddle may cause a choking hazard.
Regular swaddles may not be suitable for preemies. Instead, they need wraps that are smaller and softer than usual. These swaddles should keep your baby warm and cuddled and help them transit into the world slowly. So pick from our list of the best swaddles for preemies to create a womb-like experience for the baby.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna is a skilled writer and reviewer of baby, pregnancy, and nursing essentials. With numerous related articles to her name, she is well-versed with people’s requirements regarding baby necessities. In this list of the best swaddles for preemies, she has included products that are soft, durable, and easily washable, keeping you and your baby’s comfort in mind. Besides, Vibha has added a buying guide mentioning all the important factors you should consider when choosing a swaddle for preemies.