Periods can be quite uncomfortable, and heavy flow can make menstruation more difficult to deal with. To offer you relief from cramps, discomfort, and rashes, we have made a list of the best tampons for heavy periods. Pads tend to restrict movement, whereas tampons are quite hassle-free. These small cylindrical products are easy to carry and use.
Most tampons are eco-friendly, made from organic cotton material, and are safe and healthy. They come in different sizes for different flow levels and offer a proper and secure fit to prevent leaks and spills. So, explore our well-researched list to choose the right one.
No products Found
9 Best Tampons For Heavy Periods
The unique design of the Playtex tampons fits comfortably with a protective leakage barrier. The multipack contains 50 unscented tampons that ensure quick absorption. With flex-fit interlocking fibers, it can trap leaks quickly. It has a contoured applicator to help you insert the tampon without slipping. These tampons provide 360-degree protection and are HSA- and FSA-approved. Here is an unbiased review video to help you get a better understanding of the product.
- Anti-leak interlocking fibers
- Lasts up to eight hours
- Few may find the applicator uncomfortable
- Some may find it difficult to locate the string
Tested by dermatologists, these all-day protection tampons are made without chlorine, dyes, chemicals, and perfumes, making them one of the best non-irritant tampons for heavy periods. They are made from pure organic cotton with a cardboard applicator to give you superior absorbency and leak protection. The applicator has rounded tips and finger ridges for easy insertion.
- Eco-friendly applicator
- Sensitive skin-friendly
- Applicator may be short for some
- Some may find it a bit bigger than expected
With super plus absorbency, the Tampax Pearl tampons give you all-day comfort and maximum protection. The box contains 50 unscented tampons, equipped with a BPA-free applicator which is anti-slip for easy insertion. It has a leak-guard braid to stop unwanted leakage. Tested clinically, these tampons are safe to use and are free of latex.
- Free of chlorine bleach
- No dyes or fragrances
- Five flow-capacity ranges
- Easy application
- Covered with a soft layer for smooth removal
- Finding the right size may be tricky for a few
With an absorbent cotton build, the Rael organic tampons for periods can give you leak protection for up to eight hours. The applicator has a compact design for easy portability. It is available in packs of two, and each box includes 18 regular applicators with an easy pull-and-click design for enhanced security. Need more information? Watch this video to learn about the reviewer’s experience and make an informed decision about the product.
- BPA-free applicator
- Expands width-wise for better absorption
- Applicator design may not be efficient
- May not be comfortable for some
U By Kotex tampons for heavy periods provide you with powerful protection during your menstrual cycle. Its Xpress-DRI protection makes your tampons leak-free. The individual box has 45 tampons, each wrapped in vibrant colors and designs. For ease of insertion, the tampons come with a pull-and-click design and a smooth tip.
- Three absorbency capacities
- Good absorption
- FSA, HSA, and HRA-eligible
- May be smaller than expected
- Using the applicator may be tricky for some
With a plant-based plastic applicator, these soft and flexible tampons from Seventh Generation are made from certified organic cotton to protect you and the environment. Its smooth applicator allows ease of wearing and removing. For secured use, these tampons are tested by gynecologists and are free of dyes, rayon, and fragrances.
- Fairly comfortable
- Responsibly sourced cotton
- Plastic-free and convenient packaging
- Sensitive skin-friendly
- String may be short
- Applicator may not work as intended
Simple in design, the Cora organic cotton tampons have an applicator-free design and offer a comfortable wear. The quality product is made from GOTS-certified organic cotton that ensures super absorbency. Once inserted, it enhances width-wise for more absorption. The eco-friendly design is HSA- and FSA-eligible, and it is made without bleach, fragrance, rayon, or GMO.
- Expands gently
- Rounded tip for smooth insertion
- Applicator may take time to get used to
Available in a pack of 40, these unscented tampons are made of organic cotton and are FSA- and HSA-eligible, making them safe for you. The contoured shape tampons are highly absorbent, provide 360-degree leak protection, and can expand in all directions to prevent leaks. These tampons are available in light, regular, super, and super+ absorbency levels to meet your requirements.
- Free of synthetic fiber and chlorine
- Applicator may be short
- Applicator may unhinge from the tampon during application
o.b.digital tampons are highly expandable, provide a custom fit to your shape, and stay in place. The compact pack of 40 tampons will last you a long time, and the super-absorbent tampons are small in shape and size, making them easy to carry around discreetly. These effective tampons are designed by a gynecologist to ensure maximum comfort.
- No applicator, meaning less waste
- Anti-mess and protects fingers from getting soiled
- Contains FluidLock grooves to lock in wetness
- Effective for both heavy- and light-flow days
- Some might feel a slight discomfort while putting it on
- May not be easy to peel off the wrap
How To Choose The Right Tampons For Heavy Periods?
Here are some important tips to help you choose the right tampons for heavy periods.
- Material: Ensure the material is USDA organic and eco-friendly, free of pesticides, chlorine, or synthetic dyes. Organic products are safe for sensitive skin.
- Leak-proof technology: Choose tampons from trusted brands designed with leak-proof technology to provide you with adequate protection during heavy flows. The best ones come with odor control and are longer lasting than standard tampons.
- Absorbency level: Choose tampons with a superior level of absorbency for heavy flow. Such tampons protect for up to eight hours for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- String length: Tampons with long, braided strings are better than those with small strings. Long strings are easier to locate while removing tampons.
- Applicator type: Choose BPA-free applicators with smooth tips and easy-to-grip ridges for easy use. Those with push-and-click operations can be a good choice.
Shawnda Dorantes APRN, MSN, FNP-C, a California-based family nurse practitioner, says, “I recommend toxin-free, chemical-free, and unscented tampons, as these go inside your body. Also, ensure they offer comfort and absorbency to make those heavy flow days a little more manageable.” She adds, “For those with contact dermatitis, find an all-organic 100% cotton tampon without applicators to avoid any reaction to the tampon applicator, and during those heavy flow days, change your tampon more often to avoid any build-up of bacteria.”
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, our in-house researcher and writer of personal care products, has sifted through different websites and analyzed numerous products to understand women’s period needs and necessities. Each product on this list of the best tampons for heavy periods is handpicked to fulfill your criteria. Vibha has included those products that are highly absorbent, organic, and convenient tampon for your heavy days. She has also included a buying guide to help you pick the right one for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is my flow too heavy for tampons?
If you have to change the tampons within two hours after you wear them, you have a heavy flow. Otherwise, if you have larger clots, it is considered heavy bleeding (1).
2. How long is too long to keep in a tampon?
Tampons should be removed from the vagina at least every eight hours of continuous wear. If they are worn for more than eight hours, it produces harmful bacteria and can cause Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) (2).
3. What should I do if I accidentally insert two tampons?
Remove the tampon inserted recently. Insert two fingers into your vagina and try to locate the string or tampon end. Try to pull the first tampon. If you are unable to remove the already existing tampon, visit the nearest healthcare professional for help.
4. What size tampon is best for light, medium, or heavy flow?
The size of the tampon you need to use depends on your flow type. For normal flow, you can use a light tampon; for medium flow, use a regular tampon; and for heavy flow, use a super or ultra tampon.
5. What’s the best tampon size for beginners?
Selecting a tampon size depends on your menstrual flow rather than whether you’re a beginner or an intermediate user. However, we suggest beginning with lighter or regular sizes and moving to ultra or tampons designed for heavy flow. If that’s what you need.
6. How do I know if a tampon is managing my flow?
Check your tampon after four hours of inserting it. If it is soiled, it’s time to change, and the tampon is managing the flow. Otherwise, if it still has a lot of white, you can continue using it.
7. How many tampons should I use in a day?
In a day, you may need four to seven tampons if the flow is normal. For heavy flow, you may need a couple more. However, if you are using more tampons than needed in a day, talk to healthcare professionals.
If your periods are often marked by heavy bleeding, you need to invest in the best tampons for heavy bleeding. Whether you’re stepping out of the house, going on a trip, or sleeping at night, highly absorbent tampons for heavy periods prevent leakage and last several hours without needing a change. Our top two picks for heavy flow are Tampax Pearl Tampons, which are latex-free and the Playtex Sport Tampons, which have an anti-leak backup layer for extra protection that makes them ideal for active days. Ensure the tampon you choose is made of leak-proof technology and has a superior absorbency mark on the label. Picking a toxin-free and chemical-free tampon, reduces your worries about allergies and irritations.
Infographic: How To Use Tampons Safely?
Tampons are a popular feminine hygiene product designed for discreet and convenient menstrual care. With their compact size and invisible design, tampons offer optimum freedom of movement. However, using them carefully is important to prevent yeast and bacterial infections, including toxic shock syndrome (TSS). Check out the infographic below to learn how to use tampons safely and responsibly.
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- Toxic Shock Syndrome
- The Facts on Tampons—and How to Use Them Safely
- Best Peel And Stick Backsplash Tiles
- Best Reusable Food Storage Bags
- Best Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights
- Best Under Eye Creams In India