Getting your period on a beach vacation may become a mood spoiler. However, the best tampons for swimming, diving, and other underwater activities can make all the difference. These tampons are a convenient solution to ensure you have an enjoyable time while protecting you from any unwanted leaks. Swimming tampons offer reliable protection and coverage, allowing you to confidently enjoy the beach without worrying about any discomfort or feeling self-conscious. Keep scrolling to learn more about some tried-and-tested and expert-recommended swimming tampons that can make your life easy and stress-free.
8 Best Tampons For Swimming In 2024, With A Buyer’s Guide
1. Best Fragrance-Free:U By Kotex Fitness Tampons
Specially designed for active women who love to stay in motion, the U by Kotex fitness tampons are available in a pack of 31 and offer hassle-free protection during workouts and swimming sessions. These regular absorbency tampons have a compact and smooth plastic applicator, making them easy to insert, and expand to provide full coverage after insertion.
- Includes a discreet Fitpack carrying case
- Compact applicator
- May not be suitable for heavy flow days
2. Best Hypoallergenic:The Honey Pot Company Organic Tampons
Unlike conventional tampons, the Honey Pot Company tampons are crafted with 100% organic cotton to ensure a gentle and natural feel and are suitable for sensitive skin. The duo-pack contains nine super-absorbent tampons, and nine regular absorbency tampons, ensuring you are covered for both light and heavy flow days of your cycle. Each tampon has a BPA-free, biodegradable, and sugarcane-derived plastic tampon applicator with a textured finger grip for ease of insertion. Have a look at this review video to learn more about this organic tampon.
- Includes string for easy removal
- Approved by certified-gynecologists
- Chlorine-, pesticide-, and fragrance-free
- May be longer than expected
3. Best 360-Degree Protection:Playtex Sport Tampons
The unique design of the Playtex leak-proof tampons ensures a seamless fit with a protective leakage barrier. The multipack contains 48 unscented tampons. With flexfit interlocking fibers, it can trap leaks quickly. Therefore, it can be used as a beach tampon or pool tampon whenever needed. To insert precisely, it comes with a contoured tip and smooth applicator that does not slip. Click this review video to learn more about this tried-and-tested product.
- Offers 360-degree protection
- HSA- and FSA-eligible
- Super absorbency
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
U By Kotex Fitness Tampons
Playtex Sport Tampons
Best 360-Degree Protection
Cora Organic Comfort Fit Tampon
|Rayon and/or Cotton Fiber, Polyester or Cotton String, Polysorbate 20, Plastic
|4.69 x 6.13 x 5.5 inches
|4 x 4.88 x 8 inches
4. Best Non-Toxic:Cora Organic Comfort Fit Tampon
Cora The Comfort Fit tampons are made of 100% certified organic cotton. They come with a sleek and compact applicator that facilitates easy insertion. Also, the tampon applicator is made of 92% plant-based plastic, making this tampon set a sustainable and eco-friendly option. Available in four sizes to suit various period flow capacities, these absorbent, organic tampons gently expand upon insertion and provide leak-free coverage.
- Fragrance- and dye-free
- Pesticide-, dioxin-, rayon-, and chlorine-free
- Comfortable protection
- String may be a bit short for some
5. Best All-Day Comfort:Tampax Pearl Active Plastic Tampons
Tampax’s Pearl tampon for active water sports offers all-day comfort and protection with its super absorbency. The box contains 36 unscented tampons with a slim and smooth applicator. It also has a leak-guard braid to stop unwanted leakage. These tampons provide you with continuous protection for eight hours, making them an ideal tampon for period protection while swimming.
- Anti-slip applicator
- Motion-fit protection
- Easy to remove
- Easy to use
- May not be suitable for heavy period days
6. Best Chlorine-Free:Seventh Generation Organic Cotton Tampons
The Seventh Generation tampons made of 100% certified organic cotton are a great eco-friendly alternative to traditional menstrual products. The tampons offer dual-layer protection to keep accidental leaks during swimming at bay. These hypoallergenic and organic tampons are suitable for sensitive skin and unlike regular tampons, they have a BPA-free, plant-based plastic applicator that is easy to insert.
- Pack of two with 16 tampons each
- Fragrance- and dye-free
- Chlorine- and rayon-free
- String may be a bit short for some
7. Best High Absorbency:O.B. Pro-Comfort Tampons
The tried-and-tested o.b. Pro-Comfort tampons offer a reliable solution for heavy flow days as they are super absorbent and have FluidLock grooves for extra protection. These tampons have an applicator-free design, which means less waste, making them environmentally friendly. The smooth SilkTouch cover allows for easy and discreet insertion, and the tampons expand to offer a comfortable and customized fit.
- Includes 40 tampons
- Easy to remove
- Compact size
- Lack of an applicator may be inconvenient for some
8. Best Biodegradable:Pee Safe Organic Cotton Tampons
The Pee Safe 100% organic cotton tampons are made without any harmful chemicals or pesticides and have an applicator-free design, making them biodegradable and eco-friendly, unlike conventional tampons. These tampons are super-soft and comfortable to wear and provide leak-free protection with no risk of slipping, even during high-intensity activities, such as swimming and running, and during workouts.
- Bleach- and dye-free
- Dermatologically tested
- Physical activity-friendly
- Available in three sizes–regular, super, and super plus
- May not be very easy to insert
How To Choose The Right Tampons For Swimming?
Apart from consulting a certified gynecologist for personalized guidance, here are a few basic factors you should consider when choosing the right tampons for swimming.
- Absorbency level: Consider the different tampon absorbency levels when buying them, and consider one based on your flow. Further, ensure you change the tampons at regular intervals as you run the risk of developing Toxic Shock Syndrome if they are worn for too long (1).
- Leak-proof technology: Certain products are designed with leak-proof technology to help prevent blood odor and mess.Such menstrual products can be used for a longer period.
- Easy to use: While some women prefer string options, others prefer non-string ones. String options are easier to locate while removing tampons.
- Eco-friendly material: Ensure the material is organic and eco-friendly and free of pesticides, chlorine, or synthetic dyes. Organic products are safe for sensitive skin and are compostable, making them better for the environment as well (2).
Shawnda Dorantes APRN, MSN, FNP-C, an aesthetic nurse practitioner, says, “Always change your tampon after a swim to prevent bacteria build-up. It’s also important to choose a product that is most comfortable for you and made of non-toxic materials.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I swim on my period without a tampon?
Swimming during your periods may not be an issue, and with the right tampons, you can prevent staining your swimsuit.
2. Can I swim in the ocean on my period?
Yes, you can safely swim in the ocean during your periods without the risk of infection.
3. Do tampons soak up pool water?
Tampons can absorb the pool water while you swim; therefore, ensure you change your tampon after you come out of the water.
4. How long can I keep a tampon in while swimming?
Depending on the quality of the tampon, you can wear them for four to eight hours in the water (3).
5. How often should I change my tampon when swimming?
To prevent any infection, it is important to change your tampon every eight hours. However, always wear a new tampon while swimming and remove it once you come out.
6. Do tampons leak when swimming?
Tampons do not leak while swimming. However, choose a tampon with high absorbency if you have a heavy flow.
7. What size tampon should I use for swimming?
The tampon size is based on the amount of fluid they absorb. So, if you have light periods, you can wear a small-sized tampon and vice versa.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Vibha Navarathna, our in-house writer and reviewer of personal care and health products, has compiled this list of the best tampons for swimming to help you enjoy your pool or beach outing comfortably. These tampons have been chosen based on customer reviews to ensure quality and efficiency. The water-resistant tampons are suitable for both heavy and light periods. Vibha has described the features of each product to help you pick the right one best suited to your needs. She has also included a buying guide to help you make an informed choice.
You don’t have to cancel your fun beach outings and swims when you are on your periods, as the right tampons have your back. These tampons are specifically designed for swimming to help avoid any mishap. Buying tampons with higher absorbency levels and leak-proof technology ensures a hassle-free swimming session. Such tampons lock in the blood and help seal the odor. Our top two choices are the Playtex Sport Tampons for their superior absorbency and leakage protection and the Seventh Generation Organic Cotton Tampons, as they are free of chlorine, fragrances, and other harmful chemicals. Ensure the tampons meet the necessary safety standards to prevent rashes, itching, and other discomfort, as they are in contact with highly permeable and sensitive skin (4).
Infographic: What You Should Know About Swimming During Periods?
To swim or not to swim? With the right menstrual products and proper hygiene, you can enjoy the water without any worries. Discover the freedom and empowerment of swimming during your periods with confidence by exploring the infographic below that covers the essentials of swimming while menstruating.
- Toxic shock syndrome (TSS)
- Which Period Products Are Best for the Environment?
- The Facts on Tampons—and How to Use Them Safely
- Volatile organic compounds in feminine hygiene products sold in the US market: A survey of products and health risks
- Swimming and Your Period: Gross or Go For It?