Tanning oils are products that help you get tanned. Tanning oils increase the production of dark pigmentation called melanin, which helps in getting the darker shade. The oils ensure you are tanned evenly.Usually, they have low SPF values when compared to sunscreen lotions.
In this post, MomJunction provides you with a list of the best tanning oils and shares a buying guide to help you buy the most suitable one.
How Do Tanning Oils Work?
Tanning oils aid in the natural process of melanin production and speed up the process of getting tanned. When tanning oils are applied, the chemical dihydroxyacetone, known popularly as DHA, reacts with the dead skin cells and darkens the skin temporarily by stimulating tanning.
13 Best Tanning Oils
Bring home the best tanning oil for the beach, nourish your tan skin and protect the skin with SPF 15. It also suits pale skin. The product is water resistancefor80 minutes. It is said to be free of harmful chemicals and is dermatologist-tested.Pros
- Tans easily without burning the skin
- Pleasant fragrance
- Easy to apply
- Might dry the skin in some cases.
- Could feel greasy.
Pamper your sensitive skin with dark tanning oils. Hawaiian tanning oil soothes the skin and provides coconut fragrance,adding rich moisturization to your skin.
- Has a pleasant smell
- Good moisturizing capacity
- Long-lasting tanning effect
- Comes with skin conditioners
- Low sunburn protection
- May not be suitable for pale complexion
Bring home Australian Gold Dark tanning oil,one of the best sun tanning oils. It has broad-spectrum protection and protects you from UVA and UVB rays. You can stay upto 80 minutes in water after applying this oil.
- Has antioxidant properties
- Blends nicely into your skin
- Quicker tanning effect
- May feel greasy
- Tanning effect might take time to show
This is one of the best oils for tanning beds. Use this tanning oil to obtain a deeper tan while moisturizing your skin. This paraben-free tanning oil helps in toning the skin and tightening it as well.
- Helps to achieve a long-lasting tan
- Moisturizes and smoothens the skin well
- Helps in toning the skin
- Might leak in some cases
This suits if you are planning to hit the beach in the early morning hours when the sun intensity is less. Banana Boat tanning oil comes with a low SPF value. It has 80 minutes of water resistance. Apply this oil 15 minutes before you go out into the sun.
- Greasy and suitable for dry skin
- Quick tanning effect
- Skin irritation and rashes might occur
- Less suitable for sensitive skin
Dr. Mercola tanning oil is claimed to be free from toxins and artificial fragrances. It comes with a nice blend of natural ingredients.
- Has a soothingeffect
- Chemical-free formulation
- Makes your skin feel fresh
- Takes longer to apply
Tired of tanning oils that absorb slowly? Moroccanoil sun oil is a fast-absorbing lightweight oil that comes with 80 minutes of water resistance. It nourishes your skin and hydratesit to stay moisturized.
- Has a pleasing fragrance
- Non-greasy and sprays evenly
- May not suit if you want to be in the waters longer
Spray this self-tanner oil that contains vitamin-E and coconut oil. It keeps your skin stays hydrated for a longer time. The oil quickly penetrates the skin.
- Easy to apply.
- Provides a good tanning effect on a single application.
- Some may find it greasy
This organic tanning oil is free of toxins and formulated to remove the dead cells of your skin. The tanning oil protects the skin by repairing the damage caused due to exposure to the sun.
- Free from sunburn
- Prevents dehydration
- Contains antioxidants
- The bottle is tiny
Enjoy a bronze tan withthis vitamin-rich tanning oil. The oil helps in keeping your skin soft, silky, and even-toned. Also, the oil is free from parabens and artificial fragrance.
- Keeps your skin soft
- Well-suited for fair skin
- Works well both indoors and outdoors
- Might smell like a cooking oil.
- The oil is thick.
Stay hydrated with this lightweight oil formulated to help prevent premature aging. Enjoy a deep, enduring tan with the pleasant smell of coconut oil.
- Smoothly goes into the skin
- Contains organic ingredients
- Might be greasy for some
One of the best self-tanning oils for all skin types, Bondi Sands is formulated for a long-lasting tan effect. The tanning effect starts showing after two hours of application. To obtain a stronger tanning effect, you may re-apply the oil after 30 minutes.
- Dries out quickly after applying.
- Pleasant fragrance
- Tan lasts long
- Stays sticky
Enjoy quicker and darker tanning effects irrespective of your skin color and shade with Fox Tan lotion and accelerator. Ensure the lotion is used one week before the application of the tanning oil.
- Has a pleasant smell
- No irritation found on sensitive skin
- Feels smooth
- Provides a rich moisturizing effect
- Some may find it greasy
How To Choose A Tanning Oil?
Here are a few points to consider while buying a tanning oil.
- SPF: Tanning oils have less SPF values than sunscreens. Yet, it is good to choose a tanning oil that comes with a good SPF. Also, if you are planning to go out on hot days, your tanning oil needsa good SPF. Low SPF-based tanning oilsare best when you are going out in morning hours, when the temperature is bearable and not hot.
- Moisturizing effect: The tanning oil needs to have amoisturizing effect. Otherwise, your skin becomes dull with low or no moisture.
- Need-based: An indoor tanning oil may not work when you are heading to the beach or while staying in the sun for a long time. Every brand offers tanning oils that are prepared to satisfy specific needs. Indoor tanning oils work well when used indoors, while outdoor tanning oils work better when used outdoors.
- Ingredients: Look for the list of ingredients used in the tanning oils. Make sure you are not allergic to any of them. A few tanning oils claim to use natural ingredients but they do not seem to have a proper SPF value.
- Based on your skin type: People with dry skin need more hydration and oil to stay protected. Oily skin people can do good with less oil.
- Protection from UV rays: Not every tanning oil you choose blocks UV rays from entering your skin. There are tanning oils that can block only mild UV rays. Go for an oil is high on protecting UV radiation.
Safety Tips To Follow When Using Tanning Oils
- Never use tanning oils on broken or damaged skin.
- Do not apply tanning oils near your eyes.
- Exfoliate your skin before tanning.
- Avoid staying outside during peak hours of sun rays.
- Breastfeeding mothers must take additional steps. Ensure you are not feeding your baby after applying the tanning oil. Your baby may have skin irritation.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can sunscreens and tanning oils be used together?
Yes, you may use both sunscreens and tanning oils together. However, you should have a time gap between applying the sunscreen and the tanning oil.
2. Can pregnant/breastfeeding women use tanning oils?
The use of tanning oils during pregnancy or breastfeeding is not thoroughly researched. It is good to seek your doctor’s advice on this. This applies to breastfeeding mothers as well.
3. How much time can I spend in the sun after using a tanning oil?
It depends on the tanning oil you use. A few tanning oils allow you to stay in the sun for a significant time. While a few others offer less time to spend in the sun; so, ensure the tanning oil you choose hasa good SPF if you are opting to stay for a longer time in the sun.
Buy the right tanning oil and enjoy the bronze tan. However, stay safe and avoid sunburns by choosing the right tanning oil based on your preferences and the buying guide provided here.
Which of these tanning oilsdid you like? Let us know in the comments section below.