Tent heaters are specifically designed for winter camping to keep the space warm as you desire. In the outdoors, having a dependable tent heater is an effective way to protect yourself from cold.
These portable heaters work well during your camping, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor adventures. Check our post on the list of the best tent heaters that keep you safe and warm in cold weather.
Types Of Tent Heaters
Heaters are of the following types.
- Gas heaters: Designed to run on gas, these heaters are used in well-ventilated areas as they emit harmful gases such as carbon monoxide.
- Electric heaters: They work on clean energy sources such as electricity but can be risky if there is water.
- Wood-burning stoves: They are used in well-ventilated spaces as their fumes can be poisonous for the human body.
- Halogen heaters: They are high-risk devices and not preferred options.
Safety Tips While Using A Tent Heater
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using a tent heater.
- Do not keep any potentially flammable items around the heater
- Keep the heater at a distance from the tent walls
- Have a vent in the tent to allow toxic gases to escape
- Avoid leaving the heater on while you sleep
- Using the heater in a smaller space is more effective
- Always go through the safety instructions mentioned by the manufacturer
Top Products From Our List
10 Best Tent Heaters
The medium-sized propane camping heater is designed to warm rooms of area up to 95ft2. With a maximum elevation of 7000ft and a heating angle of 45°, this portable heater is equipped with an automatic low oxygen shut-off system. It comes with a 3800 BTU/hr heat setting to help you adjust as needed.
- Indoor-safe design
- Lightweight, compact, and portable
- Comes with simple on/off buttons
- Run time of 5.6 hours
- Includes an accidental tip-over switch
- Auto shut-off feature
- Might be a bit difficult to start
Made of ceramic, this small heater can conveniently warm spaces up to 100ft2. It has a 5.5ft long cord with two-prong connections. Designed for indoor use, this is an electric camping heater with a low wattage of 400W and 100v. It comes with a minor glow that indicates the device is on.
- Economical and power-saving design
- Quick and quiet heating device
- Compact and portable
- Bright color makes it easily visible
- Comes with automatic shut-off
- Might give an unpleasant plastic smell
This is a large tent heater suitable for outdoor spaces of up to 1,500ft2. It makes a powerful construction and comes with a built-in handle. This winter tent heater delivers heat for ventilated spaces and comes with a one-year warranty. Having 60,000 BTU and a 10ft long hose, it makes a premium, reliable, and safe tent heater.
- Durable and strong design
- Easy and quick to light
- Convenient to handle
- Comes with an easy on/off switch
- Outer surface does not get hot on running
- Does not make noise
- May have gas leakage around the valve
The radiant 6,000 to 12,000 BTU propane gas heater connects to a 1lb cylinder. It is designed for heating enclosed spaces such as cabins up to 300ft2. The swivel regulator gives you the ability to adapt to usage from remote gas supplies. This car camping heater keeps you warm effectively.
- Comes with a built-in silent electric button
- Includes oxygen depletion sensor
- Equipped with accidental tip-over safety shut-off
- Compact design
- Comes with an easy hose attachment
- Does not operate at altitudes of 7,000ft above the sea level
With this backpacking tent heater, keep yourself warm anywhere. This 3,100 BTU propane heater is designed for personal use. It comes with a metal dish and uses a 16.4lb propane cylinder to run. With four different control settings, it has an electronic ignition for an easy start.
- Comes with a handle for convenient handling
- Stable and balanced base
- Metal dish helps focus heat wherever you want
- Auto-stop feature
- Front cage provides extra safety
- Designed only for outdoor use
- May not have matchless ignition feature
This parking heater is an air diesel heater designed to work as an air furnace. It uses the vehicle power and fuel supply. You can drive with the utmost comfort and warmth as the heater increases the car’s temperature and eliminates the ice on the windows. It has a big air outlet helpful for increasing the temperature quickly and easily.
- Comes with an LCD
- Equipped with energy-saving oil pump
- Easy to install
- Low emissions and low noise
- Easy-to-use remote control
- Offers quick heating
- May not be durable
Having a 100gm/hr gas consumption, this is one of the most efficient heaters for tent camping. It is a ceramic butane heater designed to use a butane gas cartridge. It comes with a swivel body and is convenient to store and carry for its size. Designed to warm up small and ventilated areas, this is an effective camping heater.
- CE-certified heater
- Compact and lightweight
- Comes with a safety shut-off sensor
- Has a convenient handle
- Comes with an adjustable heat output
- One cylinder may not last beyond two hours
Made of aluminum alloy, copper, and stainless steel, this is a long-lasting gas heater. The set consists of a heater, canister stand, and a storage bag. You can make your outdoor adventures comfortable with this heater, which runs for up to three hours on one canister.
- Portable and lightweight
- Durable and strong
- Rust-proof design
- Comes with a knob for better control
- Heats the tent effectively
- Lacks a start button
Porlae offers a 4,400 to 10,000 BTU heater that is designed for spaces up to 250sft. The multifunctional heater can be used as a camping stove and a heater. It is an approved heater for ventilated outdoor spaces with a run time of around three hours. The pulse ignition and shock absorbing insulation make it a convenient pick.
- Offers clean burning
- Has resistance against high temperature
- Comes with a tip-over shut-off feature
- Has a portable handle
- Multipurpose and multifunctional design
- May be difficult to ignite
Made of premium stainless steel, this is a strong and sturdy mini heater. It is one of the best tent heaters that does not require any petrol fuel. The handle makes it easy to handle, and it comes with a storage box for conveniently storing it. With a vented design, it can distribute the heat uniformly.
- Rust-proof and strong construction
- Portable and compact
- Grooves at the bottom impart stability
- Environment-friendly design
- Quick to heat
- May not include a storage bag
How To Choose The Right Tent Heater?
Here are some important factors to consider while buying a tent heater.
- Location: Depending upon your camping location, make your pick. If there is a provision of power supply, then electric heaters make an ideal choice.
- Safety: Look for safe heaters with high-pressure shut-off, gas leak shut-off, or anti-top shut-off features.
- Size: The tent heater’s size depends on the tent you wish to heat up and the ease of carrying it along.
- Noise: Consider buying heaters that don’t make noise so that you can have a sound sleep. Electric heaters are mostly noisy as they have fans and radiators.
- Durability: Always go for a camping heater made of strong, durable build and can withstand adverse weather conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much heat in BTU measurements do I need for my tent?
The BTU measurements are subjective to the tent’s size and the number of people sharing the tent. A densely populated area with cross-ventilation requires about 12,000 BTU for every 250 sq. ft. Each person generates approximately 600 BTUs, and if three people are sharing the tent, this accounts for 1,800 BTUs.
2. Are tent heaters noisy?
Yes, tent heaters can make noise, but it depends on the type of tent heater you are using. For instance, electric heaters make more noise compared to gas heaters.
3. Why are chemical tent heaters designed only for emergency use?
Chemical tent heaters should be used in case of emergency because they are not effective in producing the equal number of BTUs that electric or gas heaters produce.
A tent heater is designed to keep the tent warm and be easy to carry when traveling. From the list of best tent heaters shared in this post, we hope you can find one that best suits your requirements and budget.