Having a thermometer in your medical kit is extremely important. It is a good idea to buy one that can be used for every member of your family, including infants. The thermometers available in the market can usually be used to check body temperature through ears, armpit, rectum, and mouth.
To help you make the right choice, MomJunction has made a list of the best thermometers in 2021.
11 Best Thermometers In 2021
This is a new-age infrared thermometer that gives you a temperature reading without making any physical contact. Simply press the measure button by holding it close to the forehead or ear, and the thermometer will display the temperature on a backlit screen. Green backlight means the temperature is normal. Yellow is a warning to be cautious and red means it is above normal temperature. It stores the last temperature measured to help keep track of the changing body temperature.
This infrared thermometer has two modes that give you ear and forehead readings. It can display both Celsius and Fahrenheit scales and can also measure the temperature of a room and object. Its LED shows clear results even when discreetly checking the temperature of someone who is sound asleep in the dark.
Here is a digital thermometer that can be used for babies and adults. It is suitable for oral, underarm, and rectal use. It displays readings in Fahrenheit and comes with an automatic power-off feature that shuts off a minute after displaying the reading. Its memory recall feature ensures that you keep track of the body temperature of the person.
This thermometer can give you a temperature reading of almost anything. Its infrared technology helps measure the temperature of the body, water, wine, BBQ, food storage, and so on. It displays different colors for different temperatures and comes with a memory function to keep track of temperatures recorded over a period.
Suitable for infants, kids, adults, and animals, this digital thermometer gives you oral, rectal, and underarm reading. It displays a reading within 60 seconds in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. Its memory function can store the last reading. Its waterproof body is easy to clean, and it can clearly indicate when the battery is low.
Free of mercury and heavy metals, this digital thermometer displays body temperature within ten seconds. It comes with a soft, bendable tip that makes it easy to check the body temperature of kids and pets. If the person shows a high temperature, the fever alarm buzzes, indicating the same. You can get a reading in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. Its memory function records the last temperature to help keep track of any change of reading.
This advanced infrared thermometer comes with an exceptional microchip and a high sensitivity sensor that gives you a reading in seconds when you place it near the forehead. You can place the thermometer three to five centimeters away from the forehead to get an accurate reading. It has a silent mode to avoid disturbing someone who is sleeping while their temperature is being checked. To save the battery, it shuts off automatically when not in use for 30 seconds.
Equipped with an advanced sensory probe, this digital thermometer is tested and approved to be accurate when used properly. It gives reading within a minute and comes with a memory function that stores the last reading. It can give you temperature readings for the mouth, armpit, and rectum. Its waterproof body allows you to clean it easily.
This non-contact infrared thermometer gives an accurate temperature reading within a few seconds. It is extremely lightweight, so you can hold it easily. Its LED offers reading with three different backlights that indicate the level of temperature. It comes with a high-temperature reminder and a fever alert. It displays readings in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
If you are looking for instant reading, then have a look at this forehead thermometer. Just hold it near the forehead, and it gives you the temperature almost instantly. Its high-precision sensor probes give you an accurate reading in no time. And its non-contact feature makes it a safe option. When not in use for a few seconds, the thermometer shuts down.
This digital thermometer gives reading within ten seconds. Its soft silicone tip with stainless steel probe makes measuring temperature comfortable for kids and adults. Its slip-resistant, waterproof body makes it easy to use and clean. You can use medicinal alcohol to ensure that it is free of germs and bacteria. It shuts off automatically when left inactive for ten minutes.
Different Types Of Thermometer And Which One Is The Best For You?
If the word ‘thermometer’ brings to mind the typical mercury-filled tube, then it is time to change that image because thermometers today do not work like that anymore. Here are the different types of thermometer you can find today.
- Digital thermometers: Considered to be the most accurate option, digital thermometers use electronic heat sensors to measure body temperature from under the tongue. Some variants also allow it to take a reading from the rectum or the armpit. It can be used for both adults and kids. The only drawback is that you need to have a gap of at least 15 minutes between the last meal and the time of checking the temperature to avoid getting a wrong reading, as food can change the body temperature. Also, it takes relatively longer to give a final reading.
- Temporal artery thermometers: These are non-contact thermometers that use infrared to measure body heat. You simply have to hold it a few centimeters away from your forehead for a few seconds, and it will give you an accurate reading. The best feature is its non-contact use. This way, it prevents the spread of illness. The only drawback is its extremely expensive price tag.
- Pacifier thermometer: Designed to look like a pacifier, it is used mostly for babies below one year of age. It can be kept in the baby’s mouth so you can check the body temperature. Its major drawback is that the reading may not be accurate.
- Glass mercury thermometer: This is a traditional thermometer in use for over several decades. It comes in a glass body containing a tube filled with mercury, which rises or falls according to the body temperature. You have to simply place it under your tongue for a few seconds to get a reading. It is fairly accurate in its reading, and its only drawback is that its glass body is likely to break and cause accidental leakage of mercury in the mouth.
[ Read : Mothercare 2 in 1 Thermometer Review ]
Safety Tips While Using Thermometers
There is hardly any risk in using thermometers. But you still need to observe the following simple precautions to ensure complete safety.
- Clean the tip of the thermometer before and after every use.
- If you are using a particular thermometer to measure rectal temperature, then use an alternative one for checking the temperature orally. Do not use the same thermometer for oral as well as rectal use.
- Store the thermometer in a safe and dry place. Keep it out of reach of children.
- Avoid using the traditional mercury-filled thermometer for children, as it runs the risk of breaking in the mouth.
In this age of constant innovation and frequent development in technology, we are sure to discover new advanced ways of measuring body temperature. For now, ditching the regular mercury thermometer and embracing a digital thermometer seems like a good option. Make a list of your requirements, and who is going to use the thermometer, and choose one accordingly.