Tie-dye projects never go out of style, and the best tie dye kits for kids are just what your children need to explore their creative side. Artistic activities are beneficial for every child’s growth and development. It can help nurture their imagination and encourage them to think outside the box. Art also allows children to express themselves emotionally, acts as a crucial part of their self-development, and helps them stay away from screens. And the process of dying colors to fabric is one of the many ways kids can engage in a creative pursuit. From sweatshirts, leggings, jeans, and scrunchies, the things you and your child can tie-dye are endless. Here’s a list of the best-selling tie-dye kits for kids available online.
15 Best Tie-Dye Kits For Kids To Get All Colorful In 2023
1. Best Easy-Squeeze Bottles:Doodle Hog Tie Dye Party Kit
Let your child’s imagination run wild with this easy tie dye for kids. From shirts, socks, scrunchies, headbands, and more — you can get anything you want to be tie-dyed into your favorite patterns. This kit includes a set of instructions that are easy to comprehend for you and your child. Just add water to the powdered dye that comes in the easy-squeeze bottles and enjoy a fun-filled day of art and creativity. With 12 custom colors included, there are no limits to what your child can create. If you want to know more about the results of this non-toxic tie dye, take a look at this review video about a tester’s experience.
- Includes 120ml of powdered dyes
- One soda ash
- Nine pairs of gloves
- Includes 60 rubber bands
- Color may not hold well after washes
- Gloves may be a bit flimsy
2. Best Child-Friendly: Hapinest Tie Dye Party Kit
Ideal for creative playdays or fun group activities for your kids, the Hapinest tie-dye party kit, a full art and craft package, comprising 18 pre-filled bottles and 14 vibrant hues. It is a great activity collection for children in their early years and teens and can be used by eight-year-olds and above. With 90 rubber bands, eight pairs of gloves, a plastic table cover, and a plastic trash bin, it provides everything children may need to experiment with different tie-dye techniques.
- Has instructions for up to six tie-dye techniques
- Long-lasting dyes for up to 72 hours
- Can support up to 36 projects
- Boosts creativity and imagination
- Comes with a storage box
- Dyed colors may fade easily
3. Best Vibrant:Tulip One-Step Tie-Dye Kit
The Tulip one-step kit for tie dye is best suited for coloring rayon, wool, and cotton textiles and includes sufficient supply for the tie and dye needs of four people. It comes with 12 bottles in an easy-squeeze design and has popular color dyes in concentrated form. The colors are best used on 100% natural fabric and give a one-step bold coloring for fun tie-dye prints. This tried-and-tested kit comprises 70 tie-dye pieces.
- Simple one-step water activation
- Great for fun party activities
- Non-toxic coloring
- Fabric pre-soak is not needed
- Up to eight tie-dye looks possible
- Safe for machine wash
- Some colors may not give the exact shade
- May fade with use
Doodle Hog Tie Dye Party Kit
Best Easy-Squeeze Bottles
Hapinest Tie Dye Party Kit
Tulip One-Step Tie-Dye Kit
|Compatible Material||Clothes,Rubber||-||Rayon, Wool, Cotton|
|Color||12 Colors||White||Super Big|
|Weight||6.4 ounces||1.9 pounds||0.79 Pounds|
|Dimensions||12 x 2 x 5 inches.||-||14 x 3.5 x 8.75 inches.|
4. Best Educational:Crayola Tie Dye Color Chemistry Set
One of the best educational toy sets, this lab set by the trusted brand Crayola is great for exploring STEM activities for kids and teens and is suitable for children above seven years. Apart from the tie-dye kit, children can also choose its other play variants to explore, including arctic and color chemistry. It comprises neon inks for tie-dye experiments and comes with other set-ups as well, like drip drop, neon crayon erupting volcano, and kaleidoscope.
- Boosts imagination and creativity
- Comes with easy instructions
- Lightweight and portable
- Long-lasting dyes
- Some experiments may need extra supplies
- May be messy
5. Best Decorative:Pirese Tie Dye Birthday Party Supplies
The Pirese tie-dye birthday party supplies can be a great decorative addition to home and party birthday celebrations. This set contains plates, birthday alphabets, tablecloth, napkins, a banner, party cups, and more to complete decorative requirements. The tie-dye birthday party supplies are available in six other themes, namely airplane, fire truck, Hawaiian, monster truck, rainbow, and train themes. With 152 pieces, the supplies also comprise confetti balloons in 5×12-inch sizes.
- Can serve up to 16 guests
- Versatile celebratory decorations
- Includes cake topper
- Durable and long-lasting
- Some balloons may not blow up easily
- Some parts may be slightly flimsy
Everything you need and more to make a beautiful tie-dye creation is included in this kit. An ideal kit for beginners, it consists of 20 squeeze bottles and 20 bags of tie-dye pigment for making unique, attractive, and colorful tie-dye patterns. Simply activate the pigments by adding water to them and shaking them evenly. This tie-dye color mixing kit promotes a range of creative activities for children and keeps them hooked for hours. For best and long-lasting results, it is recommended to use this kids’ tie dye kit on materials such as cotton, silk, modal, cotton, and linen.
- Non-toxic and tasteless dyes
- Comes with three funnels and spoons
- Includes 20 gloves
- Comes with ten tablecloths
- Colors may be lighter than expected
- Tablecloths may be thin
Why should kids have all the fun? Unleash your artistry and join in on their creative adventures with this adult and kid DIY tie-dye kit. With over 18 colors, it allows children to make diverse tie dye patterns and hone their creative skills. Revive your wardrobe and add a touch of color and vibrancy to them with these dyes that can be used on leggings, hoodies, sweatshirts, t-shirts, jeans, and more.
- Comes with tie-dye refills
- One tablecloth and eight pairs of gloves included
- Comes with two funnels
- Includes 120 rubber bands
- Colors may become dull when dried
- May fade after a few washes
Now, all it takes is 24 hours to bring your creations to life. Just add these dyes to your favorite fabrics and watch them turn into artwork that makes you proud. Eco-friendly and entirely non-toxic, children can use these dyes without worry; all you need is cold water to activate them. The entire kit has 32 colors that come in easy-squeeze bottles and even comes with a spray nozzle that allows you to paint around the edges to add exciting details.
- Two disposable aprons and plastic table covers
- Ten pairs of gloves
- One headband and 120 rubber bands
- One spray nozzle and funnel
- Comes with a dropper
- Mixing the colors may be time-consuming
- Dyes may not be highly pigmented
From creating unique and vibrant tie dye patterns such as ombre, bullseye, and unicorn to mixing various colors to make the fabric look brighter and more colorful, there’s not a single thing this tie-dye kit can’t do. The safety-tested kit includes 36 dye packets, and the colors remain vibrant and are machine-safe. It also includes a tablecloth and protective gloves to prevent messy situations, so you don’t stain your clothes or other surfaces in the process.
- Non-toxic dyes
- Comes with 18 squeeze bottles
- One funnel and 90 rubber bands included
- Comes with comprehensive tie dye instruction sheet
- Conforms to ASTM D4236 and EN71 safety standards
- May need soda ash to brighten the colors
- Preparation can be time-consuming
Creating art doesn’t have to be harmful to mother earth. Understanding this, Joyjoz brings you a unique tie-dye kit that includes environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and tasteless dyes. Not only does it protect the planet, but it also looks after your child’s well-being. Inspired by all things fun, this natural tie-dye kit has 18 dyes and 36 bags of pigments that allow you to be as creative as you’d like. Just activate the dyes with water, use them on your favorite fabric, and enjoy colorful patterns in a matter of 6-8 hours.
- Comes with a spray nozzle and tablecloth
- Ten protective gloves
- One funnel and two aprons included
- Comes with an instruction sheet
- Dye bottles may be small
- Colors may change after a few washes
Unleash the inner fashionista in your child by getting them this tie-dye color mixing kit for kids that allows them to make cool and stylish patterns on their clothes that never go out of vogue. An ideal present for gifting, this is the perfect DIY kit for children of all ages. The kit includes non-toxic and environmentally-friendly dyes that do not fade on the fabric even after multiple washes and uses. The kit also comes with three white cotton t-shirts and socks so that your kids can use them to create a masterpiece!
- Ten pairs of disposable gloves
- Two disposable tablecloths and a funnel
- Includes 18 bottles and 120 rubber bands
- Step-by-step instructions
- Adding powder to the bottle may be tricky
- Requires constant adult supervision
Call it magic or witchcraft, this tie-dye kit for kids is out of the ordinary. The kit is entirely safe for children of any age as it is made of kid-loving materials that are non-toxic, odorless, and tasteless. It also comes with 20 beautiful colors, squeeze bottles, 20 bags of pigments, and 100 rubber bands that you can use on any fabric. All the parts of this kit fit snugly into a portable case that allows you to carry it with you wherever you go. So the next time you and your folks decide to go out to the great outdoors, don’t forget to bring this one with you. And if you were wondering if you could join in on the fun, you sure can, as this kit also has adult protective gloves and aprons.
- Four protective gloves for children
- Six protective gloves for adults
- Two spray nozzles and spoons
- Four adult and children aprons
- Three surface covers
- Comes with a storage box with handle
- Colors may be slightly different from their labels
- May not be fade-resistant
Is your child fascinated with all things pastel and pretty? If yes, buy them this gorgeous DIY tie-dye kit for kids that has over 18 classic colors. Each color comes in a powdered form protected by a squeeze bottle, making application effortless. The one-step process makes this a suitable gift for kids of all ages. The dyes are also non-toxic, fumeless, water-based, and versatile to help your kids have all the fun without worrying about being safe. This kit can be used to make vibrant, machine-washable, and creative tie dye patterns that are made to last.
- Comes with two sprayers
- Ten gloves and two tablecloths
- Two disposable aprons included
- Includes a guidebook
- Red and purple colors may fade
- Yellow color may look orangish upon drying
Strut the streets with confidence and embrace tie-dye prints as you go. This kid-friendly tie dye kit comes with 26 unique and vibrant colors, and you can use them to tie-dye your favorite clothing, including dresses, shoes, socks, hats, and headbands. It is the ideal dye for beginners who want to experiment with tie dye, as it follows only a one-step process. Just add water to the powdered bottles and enjoy hues like never before.
- Wash-safe tie-dye colors
- Comes with ten sealed bags
- Two disposable aprons
- 50 rubber bands
- Setup may be time-consuming
- Colors may not be very vibrant
Try this tie dye kit; trust us, you won’t regret it. Made of high-quality and safe materials, it is non-toxic, odorless, and environmentally friendly. The DIY tie-dye kit for natural fabric features 38 dye powder pigments, 18 squeeze bottles, and 110 rubber bands. A unique feature of this kit is that the dyes come in bottles that are marked with two water lines. If you use only a little product to dye a small piece of fabric, you can use the water lines as a measure and fill it with only half the packet.
- Ten pairs of gloves included
- Comes with six sealed bags and two tablecloths
- Includes 20 colorful clips
- Two disposable aprons and one funnel
- Comes with a user guide
- Long-lasting and machine-washable
- Dye bottles may be small
How To Choose The Right Tie Dye Kits For Kids?
Here’s a buying guide to help you select the best tie-dye kit for your kids.
- Safe ingredients: Nothing is more important than your child’s safety. While you do want to be the wind beneath your child’s creativity, it is vital to ensure that you do so while keeping them safe. When investing in the best tie-dye kit for kids, look for safety-tested dyes that are acid-free and non-toxic. In case of an unfortunate accident where your kid might put the ingredients into their mouths, you can rest assured they are safe and protected.
- Ease of use: Gone are the days with hard-to-understand manuals, tools, and long steps to create your tie dye artwork. Today, tie dye kits come with easy steps and other features like easy-squeeze bottles, spray nozzles, and comprehensible instruction guides that make tie dye a breeze.
- Mess-free creation: If art and kids are used in the same phrase, you can always expect mess and clutter. To avoid and prevent this situation, invest in tie-dye kits for kids with additional features such as aprons, rubber gloves, disposable table cloths, etc., to protect your child and other valuables from being messy.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah’s expertise lies in producing well-researched and trustworthy content, and he primarily writes about and reviews household, electronic, and automobile products. In this post, he lists the best tie-dye kits for kids after considering their safety and durability and going through various customer reviews. The products on this list are from trusted brands, made of safe ingredients, are easy to use, and mess-free. He has also included a buying guide to help you make a well-informed decision when choosing one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the steps for tie-dyeing with kids?
Here are some essential steps for tie-dyeing:
- Wrap the rubber bands on a damp cloth to form random cloth mounts or crumple and scrunch the fabric into a ball and wrap it with rubber bands
- Medium-thick rubber bands are ideal for little hands to handle independently
- Place the fabric on a tray and spray the colors as desired
- Let the painted cloth sit for six hours or as mentioned on the packet
- Rinse the fabric in water till it runs clear.
- Remove the rubber bands
2. At what age can kids tie-dye?
With the proper parental guidance, kids six years and above can indulge in tie-dye.
3. Is tie-dye fun for kids?
The best part about tie-dye art is that you can never go wrong with the art, as there’s no correct pattern to be achieved. This makes it relaxing and encouraging for kids, as there’s no scope for failure. Also, the surprise element—the pattern reveal—at the end of the process is exciting and thrilling, even for adults.
4. How long should I let tie-dye sit?
You can let the tie-dye project cloth sit for six to eight hours or as per the instructions shared on the kit by the manufacturer.
5. What things can kids tie-dye?
Kids can tie-dye t-shirts, shorts, dresses, napkins, and pieces of cloth that can later be turned into garments.
6. Is it best to tie-dye wet or dry?
Tie-dyeing a dry cloth is permissible, but it’s ideal to do it on a slightly damp cloth which is easier to maneuver while folding and facilitates better saturation and penetration of the color into the fabric.
7. Is tie dyeing safe?
Tie-dyeing with non-toxic skin-friendly dyes under parental supervision is safe for children.
Tie-dyed T-shirts and dresses can never go wrong or out of style. T-shirts with tie-dye colors work great on the beach, on a casual outing with friends, or when traveling. Tie-dye kits help your child achieve skillful results right at home when they take up this DIY project. It is an artistic activity that gives your child an imaginative and creative outlet, being therapeutic as well. When you pick a tie-dye kit for your little one, make sure it is easy to use and is mess-free. For this reason, many tie-dye kits come with an apron, gloves, table cloths, etc. So, before you choose a tie-dye kit, check for additional accessories that it comes with.
Infographic: How To Use Tie-Dye Kits For Best Results?
Tie and dye kits offer a simple and creative method to turn plain fabrics into vibrant masterpieces. These kits are equipped with various colors and essential tools, presenting limitless opportunities for personalized and distinctive designs. To enhance your tie-dye experience, we have prepared the following infographic. Explore it now to tie-dye with flying colors.
- Textile dye allergy