Nobody wants to deal with a leaking toilet. If you’re experiencing leaks in your toilet and want to deal with it quickly, we’ve brought a list of the best toilet wax rings for you. A toilet wax ring will provide a junction between the pipe and the toilet’s bottom. The wax is easy to mold and adjusts according to the toilet’s weight, giving it a proper seal.
Julio Arco, an architect and interior designer, says, “In my professional opinion and from what I’ve seen in my years as an architect, a top-quality toilet wax ring is non-negotiable for any bathroom design or renovation. Believe me when I say this minor component is indispensable in maintaining a hygienic, leak-free environment and ensuring your bathroom’s longevity and hassle-free usage.”
Choosing a high-quality toilet wax ring that suits your needs can be a tedious task. So, take a look at the available options to choose the right one for your bathroom.
10 Best Toilet Wax Rings For A Tight Seal In 2023
1. Best Easy-To-Install: Prime Line Toilet Wax Ring
The Prime Line universal fit toilet wax ring set includes a large wax ring and a black rubber funnel. This easy-install toilet wax ring weighs eight ounces, which means it can easily fit almost every toilet bowl. It forms a tight and strong seal and adapts to uneven floors. The seal produced by the toilet wax ring is durable, odor-proof, and waterproof.
- Includes installation hardware
- Has a zinc-plated finish
- Comes in a pack of five
- Does not take much time to install
- May be thinner than expected
- May not be easy to open the air-tight packaging
2. Best With Flange: Fluidmaster 7513 Extra-Thick Toilet Bowl Wax Ring
Suitable for three- and four-inch waste lines, Fluidmaster’s 7513 toilet bowl gasket helps keep odors and leakages at bay. This extra-thick and sturdy gasket has 40% more wax than standard seals to ensure a water-tight seal. Additionally, the wax seal features a polyethylene flange, allowing for a comfortable fit onto floor-level as well as below-the-floor waste lines.
- Compatible with standard water closets
- Secure fit
- Comes in a molded plastic tray to retain its shape
- Easy to install
- Might have a strong odor when new
3. Best Urethane: Westbrass Toilet Wax Ring
By creating a watertight seal, the Westbrass toilet wax ring ensures that your toilet does not leak or eliminate unpleasant odors and helps prevent bacteria growth, making it one of the best hygienic toilet wax rings. This toilet wax ring structure enables easy installation and is designed for three-inch or four-inch waste lines. The tried-and-tested urethane wax ring has brass oval head bolts and a flange for easy installation.
- Universal fit
- Floor bolts come with polished chrome for durability
- Available in nickel and bronze finish
- Has a braided flex line
- May not be thick enough
Best With Flange
|Prime Line Toilet Wax Ring||Fluidmaster 7513 Extra-Thick Toilet Bowl Wax Ring||Westbrass Toilet Wax Ring|
|Material||Plastic, Rubber||-||Urethane, Rubber|
|Dimensions||5.98 x 5.98 x 1.81 inches||-||6 x 6 x 2.5 inches|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
4. Best For All Floor Types: Fluidmaster Toilet Bowl Wax Ring
The Fluidmaster toilet bowl ring has a universal design and is highly durable, ensuring that your toilet is odor-free and leak-proof. It includes an installation kit, making it ideal for new or old toilet models. It can perfectly fit into three-inch or four-inch waste line openings. The toilet wax ring, made of high-quality materials, uses the best technology to create a proper seal and protect your toilet from leakage. To get a better understanding of the odor-blocking toilet wax ring, you can check out this product testing video.
- Bolts are rust-resistant
- Polyurethane flange helps even the surface
- Compatible with major toilet brands
- Suitable for all types of flooring
- Backed by a ten-year warranty
- May be slightly thinner than expected
- May require inspection at intervals
5. Best Even Fit: Eastman Toilet Wax Ring
Eastman toilet wax ring can ensure a tight seal between the waste line and toilet bowl to eliminate foul smell and dirty water. It comfortably fits toilet bowls connected to a three-inch or four-inch waste line opening. The flexible toilet wax ring comes with a flange, ensuring that the wax ring is correctly placed on the floor without making it uneven.
- Reduces the need to combine two wax rings
- Wax ring is easy to bend
- Controls odors, fluids, and gases
- Easy to install
- May not suit long flanges
- Could have been slightly thicker
6. Best Durable: Norme Toilet Wax Ring
Norme toilet wax ring provides a watertight seal and eliminates leakage and unpleasant smells. This toilet wax ring’s thickness makes it a popular choice when installing a new toilet bowl or replacing an old toilet bowl. It can fit most toilet bowls with a waste line opening of three or four inches. The reinforced wax rings for toilets includes retainer washers, bolt caps, and nuts.
- Retains the shape of the toilet after installation
- Easy to install without any expertise
- Durable product
- Thick flange
- May pose a choking hazard
- Brass bolts may be slightly longer than expected
7. Best Leak-Free: iFealClear Universal Toilet Wax Ring
iFeelClear’s tried-and-tested toilet wax ring does not allow leakage or foul smell to enter the toilet. The polyethylene flange can fit a three-inch or four-inch drain opening and form a watertight seal to protect your toilet from unpleasant odors. It is made of flexible and soft high-grade petroleum wax, making it an excellent choice for repairing your old leaky toilet bowl. The package includes a gasket, screws, and bolts for easy installation.
- Suitable for all toilet types
- Helps reduce cracks in the ground
- Goes well with floor-mounted toilets
- Available in two packs
- May be smaller than expected
- May be prone to melting
8. Best For Repair: Lasco Toilet Wax Ring
The toilet wax ring from Lasco, a time-tested brand, forms a tight seal and ensures a firm and long-lasting hold, thereby expelling all the gases and odors from the toilet. The polyethylene flanges ensure correct positioning to fit three-inch or four-inch waste line openings. You can comfortably repair your old toilet bowl or install a new one with this long-lasting wax ring for toilet.
- Suitable for floor-mounted toilets
- Creates a watertight seal
- Wax ring is durably built
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Some may find the product to be slightly thin
9. Best Thickness: ProFlo Toilet Wax Ring
ProFlo toilet wax ring has a polyethylene flange and a thick wax ring that helps form a tight and long-lasting seal. This toilet repair wax ring comes with a repair kit that includes closet bolts to ensure easy installation. The toilet wax ring can quickly become expert-approved as it eliminates foul smells and toilet leaks. It is ideal for leveled and unlevelled floors, and you can perfectly fit the toilet wax ring into three-inch or four-inch drain openings.
- Suitable for new installation or reseating
- Comes with instruction manual for assembly
- Can hold shape in the long run
- Made of polyethylene
- Bolts may be slightly longer than expected
10. Best Water-Tight Seal: Willian H. Harvey Toilet Wax Ring
William H. Harvey Urethane toilet wax rings with No-Seep technology ensure a completely watertight seal. If properly installed, the toilet wax ring works for a long time and permanently prevents all unpleasant smells and toilet leaks. The extra-thick toilet wax ring perfectly fits into three-inch or four-inch waste lines. The wax ring’s compression power provides a tight seal and is suitable for all kinds of floors. It includes resilient springs and a flange to ace the test of durability and convenience.
- Can hold up to 90lb psi at 80% compression
- Resists puncture by carrier coupling
- Durable enough for rough plumbing
- Can be used with bathroom sinks
- May take time to install
How To Choose The Right Toilet Wax Ring?
These are some factors you should consider when choosing a toilet wax ring.
1. Strong seal: Choose a toilet wax ring that can provide a robust, firm, and durable seal to ensure the toilet is leak-proof. A weak seal could cause some water to seep from below the toilet.
2. Odor-resistance: Choose a wax ring with thick wax, which can eliminate any foul smell coming from the sewer pipe and help you keep your toilet odor-free.
3. Waste line size: Almost all toilet wax rings are suitable for three-inch and four-inch waste lines, which are the most common size of waste lines. However, if your waste line’s size is different, make sure to choose a wax ring accordingly.
4. Durability: Wax rings that are not durable will require frequent changes. A high-quality and durable wax ring will last longer.
5. Polyethylene/ Polyurethane flange: The flange is an integral part of pipeline installation. If the toilet wax ring does not include a polyethylene/polyurethane flange, the installation process may become arduous, and the result may be unsatisfactory.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah specializes in household products, electronics, and automobiles. He believes in providing authentic content to his readers. Therefore, after going through many online reviews and discussions, he has created a list of high-quality toilet wax rings that can help seal your leaking toilet with minimal effort. This article is also useful because Wedetso has answered some of your queries and highlighted the factors to consider before making the purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it better to put a wax ring on the toilet or flange?
The wax ring is supposed to be placed between the toilet and the flange. In general, the ring is first placed on the toilet, and then the toilet is placed on the flange.
2. When should I use an extra thick wax ring?
Extra thick rings can be used to provide a better seal when the flanges are shorter than usual or at floor level.
3. Can I put two wax rings on a toilet?
It is not advisable to use two wax rings. If the height of the flange is less than a quarter of an inch, it’s better to install a flange extender to attain the right height.
4. How often should I change a toilet wax ring?
Toilet wax rings last for many years. They need to be changed only if there’s a leakage or if you plan to replace the toilet bowl.
5. Why does my wax ring keep leaking?
The leakage could be due to loose flange bolts, a flange level that is lower than the prescribed height, using a wrong-sized or loosely placed wax ring, or a clogged drain.
A toilet wax ring sits comfortably between the pipe and the toilet’s bottom, preventing leaks and keeping the sewer gas out. The best toilet wax rings also restrict mold and bacteria build-up and continue to offer a firm hold even after years of use. However, not all toilet wax rings are suitable for all toilet systems. You need one that offers an airtight seal and is the right fit for your waste line. Our top picks are the Fluidmaster 7513 Extra-Thick Toilet Bowl Wax Ring that is odor-resistant and easy to install, the Westbrass Toilet Wax Ring with polished chrome for durability, and the iFealClear Universal Toilet Wax Ring made of flexible and soft high-grade petroleum wax.
Infographics: How To Replace A Toilet Wax Ring?
The primary function of the toilet wax ring is to create a watertight barrier between the toilet base and the drain pipe. If you notice water pooling around the bottom of your toilet, it’s probably time to replace the toilet wax ring with a new one. So, check out the following infographic to learn how to change a toilet wax ring.
- Best Waxless Toilet Seals
- Best Toilet Flanges
- Best Non-Clogging Toilets
- Best Kohler Toilets
- Best Toilets For Small Bathrooms