Your hair may lose the freshness a few weeks or so after the application of hair color. This is where toners can help. They give your hair a refreshing look and make the color appear new and vibrant.
If you have white or blond hair and want to eliminate the yellow or brassy tones that surface a few weeks after application of the color, then you should get a toner. Several top-quality toners in the market can make white hair maintenance easier.
In this post, MomJunction unveils some of the best toners for white hair, along with tips to choose the best toner for your hair and how to use it correctly.
13 Best Toner For White Hair
The is a platinum hair toner free of ammonia and gentle on the hair. It contains papaya extract, mango oil, coconut oil, and wheat proteins to protect your hair from chemical exposure. The toner absorbs better when you apply it on dry locks and needs no more than five to 15 minutes to tone your hair.
- It is safe for all hair and scalp types
- It contains natural ingredients that help in protecting your scalp and hair.
- It helps in nourishing, moisturizing, and softening your hair.
- Takes little time to tone your hair
- It may make the yellow tone of your hair a little brighter.
The hair toner takes a few minutes to give you the shade that you want. It contains polymers that support great quality hair, making it smooth and healthy. You should ideally use the toner once in 15 to 21 days, as your hair will not require many toning sessions per month.
- The hair toner contains polymers.
- You may mix it with your hair dye in case you are keen to get an icy color.
- You should follow the instructions to gain the best results.
- Some users complained of getting a very pale-yellow tone after application.
- A few users experienced hair fall after application
3. Brilliant Silver White Hair Blonde & Grey Hair Toner
This is a good toner for eliminating brassy yellow tones. Additionally, your hair will get the much-needed softness and shine. As it is a water-based product, your hair will get saved from the dryness and damage. The toner can easily last for a long time.
- The product is ideal for all hair types.
- It comes in a 15 ml bottle.
- It is PETA certified and vegan.
- A few drops of this highly concentrated toner can go a long way.
- May cause allergies in some – so do a patch test before using it on your scalp.
- Users find the instructions on the product a little complicated.
4. La Riche Directions Hair Color White Toner
The hair toner promises to work wonders for white locks. The product is vegan and not tested on animals. The temporary toner helps in giving your tresses a shade of white in just a few minutes. You may use the toner on colored or natural hair without any hesitation, as it does not pose any risk to your hair.
- The toner helps in conditioning your hair and leaves it soft after washing.
- It does not cause any irritation to your scalp and can be effective on light hair for toning out yellow tints.
- The toner comes in a thick jar that is robust and tough to break.
- It may not last as long as other toners, even if you wash your hair less frequently.
- The labeling on the jar may not be clear for all
5. Clairol Pure White 40 Creme Developer Maximum Lift
The hair toner is ideal for white hair and available in different bottle sizes. The creamy consistency of the toner is appropriate for all hair types. The toner can be used out of the bottle or put it in a bowl and apply using a brush. The brand claims that this white toner is safe and doesn’t put the hair at risk of damage.
- The hair toner is available in 4 strengths.
- The product helps in making the hair soft and smooth.
- The toner has a creamy consistency, which makes it easier to apply.
- In some cases, the toner may make the hair look a little drab.
6. Punky Platinum Blonde Toner Conditioning Hair Color
The product removes the gold and brass tones after bleaching, resulting in a vibrant platinum blonde color to the hair, from hair after bleaching. It assists in minimizing damage and aids in repairing your hair during the coloring process. A single application of the hair toner can last more than 25 washes. The toner assures that the hair will not become brittle and dry after coloring.
- The toner’s pigmenting elements can spread evenly throughout the hair, giving your hair that perfect blonde color.
- It allows you to adjust the level of toning.
- It has a high pigment load that gets fixed on to the outer layer of the hair.
- It lasts longer and helps in conditioning your hair
- Vegan and cruelty-free.
- Some users claimed the toner did not neutralize the brassiness of hair.
- A few users find the toner to be pricey.
7. Wella Blonder Permanent Liquid Toner – Pale Silver
The liquid toner does not over deposit on your locks but leaves them with even and vibrant color. The effect of this toner lasts for a long duration. You can get intermixable shades for customized blonde combinations.
- This liquid toner helps in eliminating your yellow tones effectively.
- Using this toner, which lasts a long time, is easy and convenient too.
- When applied right, it can give your hair a nice icy look.
- The toner gives your hair a radiant and vibrant appearance.
- Some users reported that it made their hair a little bluer.
The hair toner can eliminate the yellow or brassy hues from your light blonde tresses in 15 minutes. The toner contains avocado oil, retinol, and silk protein that take care of your hair health. It can help in refreshing your hair color in one application.
- The toner is produced sans any harmful substances, including parabens and sodium chloride.
- It helps you fight hair yellowness effectively and aids in maintaining your hair’s health.
- The toner, when used correctly, can significantly maintain light and ash-blonde tones
- It is a little over-priced.
The toner comes in a creamy form that enables convenient application. It can remove the undesirable brassy tones and give you the color that white or blonde color you desire. The toner can be used for all types of hair, but make sure you follow the instructions before applying it.
- It gives you gorgeous and stunning hair.
- The price range of the hair toner is economical.
- It helps you get rid of brassy tones.
- It lasts for a longer time and does not damage or put your hair at risk of damage.
- Suitable for all types of hair.
- Some users found that the toner turned the hair to a shade of green.
The conditioning toner helps in combating dry, lifeless, and dull hair. It is so effective that it helps in lightening the darkest of hair shades, and it can lighten up your hair tone to seven levels in minimum time. It also reconstructs broken bonds and helps your tresses grow longer.
- It is safe to use.
- The hair toner is not tested on animals and is vegan too.
- It does not leave your hair brittle and dry after hair bleaching.
- It helps in lightening your hair evenly.
- The toner may not be as strong as expected.
The toner has been specifically designed to eradicate the yellow tones from your hair. While dyeing, it also deep conditions your hair. The semi-permanent hair dye formula fades in four to six weeks. It does not pierce the cortex of your hair but rests on top of the hair shaft.
- It helps in creating a soft pastel color of virgin snow white.
- The toner contains vegan ingredients that are not tested on animals. It is PETA certified cruelty-free.
- The hair color is free from ammonia, paraben, phthalate, resorcinol, and gluten.
- It offers mixable colors and tones.
- It is easy to use and lasts longer.
- The color mixed with yellow tones may give you a green hue.
- Not all may have the same results.
The toner kit offers a two-step formula that takes bleaching to the next level. It helps you achieve long-lasting color outcomes with its 10-minute bleach formula and the 40-volume activator. It pre-lightens your dark locks with the help of an all-in-one kit.
- The preconditioning formula helps in removing dullness and gives you brighter white hair.
- It is suitable for hair frosting and highlighting.
- It works for all hair colors and textures.
- You will find it easy to use.
- Helps you achieve maximum lightening of hair.
- It may leave your hair a little dried
The hair toner helps in reversing hair damage and prevents undesired yellow tones in blonde hair. You will not find it oily and sticky. The toner also has a light and appealing scent. The presence of natural ingredients helps in boosting the shine of your hair.
- The leave-in toner helps in neutralizing brassiness in blond and color-treated locks.
- The toner prevents frizz and helps in restoring hair.
- Australian blue cypress oil in this product fights dull hair.
- It contains rosemary leaf extract that acts as a great antioxidant for damaged locks.
- A bit expensive.
Uses Of A Hair Toner
Hair toners are used primarily to boost the shine and softness of hair and minimize the appearance of split ends. Toners help in infusing life into your dull, brassy, brittle, and lifeless tresses. They help in making the existing color appear vibrant and beautiful.
Hair toners are specifically designed for light-colored tresses that may include various tones of blonde, gray, or white. With toners, you also get the option of updating the color and altering the shades of existing hair color if you desire a little change in your appearance.
It is worth noting that a hair toner is not a permanent color. The non-permanent rinse may last for 15 to 20 days on your hair. It further depends on the type of hair you have and the color that you use.
How To Use A Hair Toner For Best Results?
After you have selected the most appropriate toner for your beautiful locks, you need to know how to use it for that perfect and flawless outcome. Given below are some essential tips that will help you use the toner to perfection.
- Read all the instructions specified on the hair toner carefully and follow them precisely.
- You must always avoid over toning your hair.
- Excess usage of hair toners may impact the health of your hair, so use them once a month.
- Make sure you wash your hair effectively after the application of toner.
Most importantly, avoid experimenting and use the white toner if you want white or blond colored hair.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Using Hair Toner?
Toner is basically a semi-permanent hair color, and it should not hurt your hair. It helps you get rid of the brassy yellow tone from your hair that may diminish the appearance of your locks. It is worth noting that ammonia-free hair colors are less damaging and do not cause any side effects.
Since hair toner is a temporary hair dye, it has emerged as one of the best options for many. The color remains only on the surface of your hair and fades away gradually with every wash.
Safety Tips To Follow When Using Hair Toners
Most hair toners do not cause any damage to your locks, and all you need is to follow the instructions by the manufacturer for safe use. Nevertheless, it could be good to remember a few of these points to be extra safe and protect your hair health.
- Before you set out to apply the hair toner, carry out a patch test for any possible allergic reactions
- You should always avoid mixing different hair dye products.
- Never leave the hair toners on your head for a longer period.
- Avoid applying toners on your eyebrows or eyelashes as it may cause irreparable harm to your eyes.
How To Choose The Right Toner For White Hair?
When it comes to choosing the best hair toner for white hair, you need to search for the shade that is opposite to your existing hair color, such as the purple ash toner. It will help you in removing the yellow blond hue from your locks. If you have reddish-brown hair, you must select a green-tinged toner to achieve the correct neutralization.
In case you have dark hair, you must select ash blonde or beige blonde to sooth the dark shades. For bold hair color, a blue toner will be the right choice to neutralize the bold colors.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long should I keep the toner on my white hair before I can rinse it out?
You should ideally apply the toner for 15 to 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
2. What happens if I use this toner on my black hair?
A toner can help in bringing in subtle improvements for black hair. You can get your desired shade when you apply them on black hair. Toners can help in targeting brassy tones on light hair, but it can also produce desired effects on dark hair.
You will come across a myriad of toners for white hair. While some may suit you and give you the desired shade of white hair, others may act differently. So, selecting the best toner for your hair is important to get the desired result. A good toner will also infuse life to your hair and make it appear glossy and beautiful.