The experience of wearing braces or orthodontics is unique for everyone, but most people would agree that it disrupts routine and demands a lot of attention and adaptation. However, with the best toothbrush for braces designed to meet your specific needs, you can give your teeth the love they deserve much more smoothly and comfortably.
Dr. Farayi Shakespeare Moyana, a dental public health expert in Zimbabwe, says, “One cannot escape the need for regular, effective and efficient brushing of teeth when wearing dental braces. Frequent bracket breakage means additional cost to your orthodontic treatment. Thus, using a quality toothbrush designed for braces and other oral hygiene aids is critical.”
Whether your choice is manual or electric, these tried-and-tested brushes share many characteristics that make them more ideal for everyday use than traditional ones. For instance, they have softer bristles and flexible necks and offer a good grip. So, without further ado, check out the most effective toothbrushes for braces and have your pick.
Safety Tips When Using A Toothbrush For Braces
Wearing braces demands different adjustments in your routine, the most obvious of which is the way you brush. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when caring for your teeth.
- Pick the right toothbrush (preferably with the softest bristles), toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash to ensure a comfortable brushing experience and prevent dental decay. You may go with the alternatives suggested by a healthcare professional. Also, consider the width of your brackets.
- While brushing your teeth after every meal might not be necessary, doing so can keep you feeling clean and fresh throughout the day. Remember to brush at least twice and floss once regularly to maintain top-notch hygiene.
- Before brushing, take a few seconds to pick any residue out of your teeth and between brackets with a thorough rinse.
10 Best Toothbrushes For Braces And A Buying Guide, 2023
Keep scrolling as we list the five best manual toothbrushes for braces and the five best electric toothbrushes for braces.
5 Best Manual Toothbrushes For Braces
1. Best Travel-Friendly: Colgate Max Fresh Wisp Disposable Toothbrushes
No matter where you go, this set of 24 bite-sized toothbrushes for orthodontic treatment at home will keep you feeling refreshed and help you maintain proper dental hygiene. The manual brush features a built-in freshening bead that dissolves during use, and the toothbrush doesn’t require you to rinse your mouth with water, making it perfect for use when traveling. It comes with soft bristles that gently remove food pieces and other particles around braces or orthodontics, leaving you with a refreshing aftertaste and keeping your breath nice and minty throughout the day. Here’s a review video that gives you more information about this toothbrush.
- No rinsing required
- Free of sugar and gluten
- Available in two flavors
- Helps with teeth whitening
- Suitable for one-time use only
"These toothbrushes were the perfect find for cleaning my teeth and Invisalign. These brushes leave a refreshing, minty sensation and make it possible to have clean teeth, regardless of the location."
2. Best Ergonomic: Y-Kelin V-Shaped Orthodontic Toothbrush
If you have sensitive teeth, you could benefit from using ultra-soft bristles that feel easy and comfortable. This V-shaped manual toothbrush for braces is an excellent choice as it features 45-degree nylon bristles that reach every corner of your mouth and help you cleanse your teeth thoroughly. In addition to being flexible, the tried-and-tested braces care toothbrush is ergonomic and has a small handle with an excellent grip to allow for a seamless brushing experience.
- Does not tangle with wires
- Comes in a pack of four
- Food-grade material
- Orthodontic brackets
- Bristles might be too soft for some
"My son found brushing quite challenging after getting braces. These toothbrushes are super soft on the gums and make it easier to achieve thorough cleaning. Despite his small mouth, he no longer struggles to brush on the top and bottom of his braces. We are glad we found these."
3. Best Eco-Friendly: Ortho-Buddy Orthodontic Toothbrush
If you want to impress your dentist by maintaining the highest level of oral hygiene with braces, this orthodontic toothbrush will help you do just that. With a beautiful eco-friendly handle made of birch wood, the Ortho-Buddy braces-friendly toothbrush is incredibly ergonomic and versatile. The unique, 360-degree bristles clean your teeth, gums, and braces in different directions to give you a deep and thorough cleanse within thirty seconds. Crafted by healthcare professionals, this manual brush makes a suitable choice for safe and effective brushing with braces.
- Ergonomic handle
- Reusable design
- Ultra-soft nylon bristles
- Requires pea-sized toothpaste
- Tapered handle for better grip
- Might need to follow up with a regular toothbrush
"The Ortho Buddy has been a great help in removing stubborn food remains and maintaining dental hygiene for my son. Its convenience and easy portability are added advantages. Although slightly cumbersome for narrow spaces, for overall cleaning, it's worth considering."
Colgate Max Fresh Wisp Disposable Toothbrushes
Y-Kelin V-Shaped Orthodontic Toothbrush
Ortho-Buddy Orthodontic Toothbrush
|Dimensions||4.33 x 0.98 x 6.3 inches||-||-|
4. Best Flexible: Oral-B Ortho Toothbrush Set
This orthodontic toothbrush set from Oral-B is an indispensable cleaning accessory for those with braces and other dental cosmetics as it allows you to fight plaque and odor almost effortlessly. It comes with the softest bristles and a long, narrow neck that offers flexibility and helps you reach every corner of your mouth with ease. Lightweight and comfortable to hold, this one’s a great option for daily use.
- Effective V-trimmed bristles
- Ideal for children and adults
- Reaches between brackets
- Comes in a pack of six
- Brush head might be slightly small
"This orthodontist-given brush came through for me and kept my braces spotless during my 1.5-year journey. After each check-up, my orthodontist showered me with praise. It's incredible how a toothbrush can contribute so much to oral health. It's definitely worth the hype!"
5. Best Efficient: DenTrust Three-Sided Braces Toothbrush
Give your teeth a professional cleaning with this highly effective and unique toothbrush, which has everything you need to get the job done speedily. The three-sided bristle technology allows faster and more efficient scrubbing by reaching all the sides of your mouth, including the hard-to-reach places at once, reducing the risk of cavities. And as it seamlessly brushes away debris and odor on the brackets and is clinically proven, this innovative manual brush is worth a try.
- Expansion pleats for adjustability
- Ideal for different tooth widths
- Ergonomic handle
- Child-friendly design
- Superior plaque removal
- Neck might be slightly stiff
"My daughter finds these toothbrushes handy as they effectively clean around her brackets while being comfortable. She also likes the three-sided design that covers all teeth facets in one stroke and the bonus tongue scraper. Although a slight press is required for optimal results, it's a valuable addition to her oral care routine."
5 Best Electric Toothbrushes For Braces
6. Best Pressure: Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Electronic Toothbrush
This rechargeable toothbrush for braces by Philips is a popular choice of many as it promises to eliminate plaque by up to seven times compared to a regular toothbrush. Packed with dense, high-quality bristles and a specially curved power tip, you will have no difficulty accessing those hard-to-reach areas and giving your teeth an effective cleaning. The sonic technology ensures it is suitable for braces, fillings, crowns, veneers, and other cosmetic dental enhancements. Moreover, the brush provides a safe, seamless experience and helps you improve gum health without putting too much pressure on the brackets.
- Built-in pressure sensor and comfortable handle
- Comes with a replacement reminder
- Has a timer to indicate the ideal brushing time
- Two weeks of battery life on a full charge
- Durable and travel-friendly
- Requires 24 hours of charge after first use
"This electric brush changed the way I used to clean my teeth. It removes plaque deposits, and the pressure sensor and timer keep me from overbrushing. Although it may require to be handled with care, the impressive features make it worth it."
7. Best U-Shaped:LBailar Soft Bristle Braces Toothbrush
The LBailar orthodontic toothbrush features a strategically designed U shape with short inner bristles and softer, long outer bristles, allowing effective cleaning around orthodontic appliances such as braces and tiny grooves. The quality-tested toothbrush is available in a pack of four, allowing you to switch to a new brush conveniently. Further, it is constructed from silicone, making it comfortable to hold, and the nylon bristles are gentle on braces while being easy to maintain.
- Can be used for cleaning the tongue
- Helps eliminate bad breath
- Helps removes stains
- Features an ergonomic stem for comfortable use
- May not be suitable for toddlers
- Bristles may shed when used roughly
"Nothing worked for my son's persistent build-up until I found these handy toothbrushes. These brushes improved his oral health and kept his teeth cavity-free even when he had braces. Hence, they get the nod of approval from this mother!"
8. Best Powerful: Anwiel Water Flosser + Ultrasonic Electric Toothbrush Combo
Featuring a thick handle and tiny head that finds its way into the corners of your mouth with ease, this electric toothbrush and flosser combination is an absolute steal. With six adjustable modes that help you remove 99% plaque, the sensitive toothbrush for braces has been designed to suit beginners as well as those who may have sensitive teeth. It boasts a 30-second timer that reminds you how much time is left for the brushing to be completed, ensuring no gaps in the process of achieving that perfect smile.
- Long-lasting battery life
- Charges in four hours
- Durable and waterproof
- Helps whiten front teeth
- Includes six jet tips and four brush heads
- Might feel slightly heavy for some
"Switching to this electric toothbrush has genuinely improved my oral health, and it has been particularly beneficial for my braces. The extra attachments are super easy to switch and make it easy to keep my teeth clean and white."
9. Best ADA-Recommended: Pro-Sys VarioSonic Orthodontic Electronic Toothbrush
Eliminate the most stubborn plaque and debris with the Pro-Sys electronic brush, which meets all the standards set by ADA and is recommended by top hygienists. Rechargeable and durable, this compact toothbrush for braces has a two-minute timer and is convenient to use even on the go. The electronic brush has five power cleaning modes, and the ultra-soft bristles provide clinical-level hygiene without exerting too much pressure on the brackets.
- Uniquely angled bristles
- Automatic timer minimizes power usage
- Lasts 30 days after each charge
- Ergonomic and travel-friendly
- Bristles might be too soft for some
"This toothbrush feels super gentle on the sensitive areas of my mouth. Its variable speed settings and soft brush head offer effortless cleaning. The battery life was slightly disappointing, but innovative features like the timer more than makeup for it."
10. Best Convenient: Generic Cordless Water Flosser And Sonic Electric Toothbrush
If you want the complete dental experience in one sleek, compact package, here’s a flosser-brush combo to make the choice easier. While the cordless water flosser comes with eight jet tips that target every corner of your mouth, the toothbrush is accompanied by eight brush heads for timely replacement. With an impressive 40000 VPM and three distinct cleaning modes, the brush is powerful and dislodges debris or plaque easily. Also, the floss has a significant edge over traditional models since it is rechargeable and can be adjusted according to your needs.
- Battery life of 30 days after a four-hour charge
- Whitens teeth and improves gum health
- Has a 360° rotatable nozzle design
- Can easily last up to two years
- Instructions for use may not be clear
"I'm delighted with this oral care set. The water flosser and electric toothbrush make my teeth feel as if I've freshly left the dentist. I will definitely not be going back to manual brushing!"
How To Brush Teeth With Braces On?
Adjusting to braces can take time, especially when it comes to basic tasks such as brushing and flossing. Here are a few tips on maintaining oral health and hygiene without damaging the brackets.
- Try to brush after every meal to prevent the formation of plaque and odor.
- Start by rinsing your mouth to remove any debris or food particles stuck between the teeth or brackets.
- Use a gentle toothbrush for braces and non-abrasive toothpaste to avoid messing with the wires.
- Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle and apply minimum pressure to rotate it along your gum line.
- Remember to brush the brackets and wires along with the inner surfaces to ensure your mouth is thoroughly clean and germ-free.
- Follow with a floss and mouthwash rinse at least once a day.
How To Choose The Right Toothbrush For Braces?
Here are some factors you should consider when buying Toothbrushes for braces wearers.
- Manual vs. electric: While the difference between manual and electric brushes might not be wide, there are some advantages to using an electric toothbrush. For instance, they are highly efficient and take less time to complete the job. You can properly clean without compromising with a manual toothbrush, but it might require more time and patience.
- Bristle softness: Hard bristles can end up causing damage to your brackets and teeth, as can brushing far too vigorously. So, ensure your toothbrush features soft bristles that bend easily and reach all the areas of your mouth without having to apply a lot of pressure, as doing so can erode the enamel.
- Flexibility: A flexible toothbrush with 360-degree flexible bristles and adjustable handles can make the job faster and more effective, improving accessibility around obscure corners and removing any hidden plaque.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Amrit S is our in-house writer and reviewer who loves to talk about self-care, beauty, and makeup products. He spends time looking for unique products that can enhance his readers’ lives in different ways. Here, he talks about the best toothbrushes for braces that make your smile-enhancing experience less challenging. His review process involves extensive research into the features and benefits of each product, along with aggregating consumer reviews from multiple e-commerce websites.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does one need a specialized toothbrush for braces?
Yes, those with braces should use toothbrushes with softer bristles, adjustable handles, and replaceable toothbrush heads to ensure your teeth are cleansed effectively without any damage to the brackets or wires.
2. How should I use an electric toothbrush for braces?
Regardless of the type of toothbrush you use, the best practice is to hold it at a 45-degree angle and gently rotate the head along the gum line. With an electric toothbrush, this process becomes more effective due to the oscillation, which provides a gentle, painless, and thorough scrub.
3. Why are brushing and flossing so important for braces?
Braces make it easier for food particles and debris to remain stuck in your teeth, slowing your progress and damaging the brackets in the long run. Brushing and flossing can prevent this issue and help you maintain your hygiene.
4. How often do I need to replace the head of the toothbrush for braces?
If you use regular toothbrushes, make the switch every three months or so. However, since you would generally brush more than twice a day to keep your braces clean, you will have to replace the head or entire brush within two months or less.
Your journey towards a healthier, more beautiful smile may be punctuated by different challenges, but using the best toothbrush for braces can make things much easier. These brushes are soft, flexible, and available in various designs and colors to help you take care of your pearly whites as effortlessly as possible. The right brush is vital to ensuring a pain-free experience and keeping your mouth fresh, clean, plaque- and cavity-free.
Infographic: Safety Tips When Using A Toothbrush For Braces
As you wear braces to straighten your teeth, it also increases the likelihood of plaque accumulation on and in between your gums and teeth. Not equipping yourself with appropriate ways of brushing your teeth can increase your risk of gum injury. Read this infographic for safety tips to keep your oral hygiene on point.