Brushing teeth is a habit that children should ideally develop early on. For a child, one of the most exciting parts of bruising is the toothpaste, which they tend to lick or even swallow.
Considering that kids are still learning to brush their teeth and may swallow the paste owing to its sweet taste, it is good to choose the right toothpaste for them. A good toothpaste can keep their mouth clean and ensure overall oral health. In this MomJunction post, we tell you how to choose toothpaste for kids, and list down the 11 best toothpaste for kids.
How To Choose A Toothpaste For Kids?
Here are the features to look for in toothpaste for children.
- Pick fluoridated toothpaste: Despite the negative perception, your child needs fluoride to keep their teeth healthy. Fluoride helps harden the enamel of the teeth and makes them more resistant to the acids secreted by oral bacteria. Brushing regularly with fluoridated toothpaste keeps the teeth healthy for a long time.
Do not worry about fluoride affecting the child if they accidentally swallow it. A kid will only use less than a pea-sized amount of toothpaste, which, according to the American Dental Association, minimizes the amount of fluoride that they ingest (1). Supervision and proper training can ensure that the child spits out the paste after they brush.
- Check for added substances: Toothpaste meant for adults can contain compounds that may not be suitable for children. Avoid toothpaste that says ‘medicated’ or have added compounds for numbing the exposed nerves of the gums. They may not be ideal for children.
- Choose kid-friendly flavors: If you want the child to keep up the habit of brushing the teeth independently, then pick flavors such as strawberries, cotton candy, and bubble gum.
Choosing the right toothpaste is the first step. Using it properly is the most important. Use a rice-sized smear of toothpaste for brushing the teeth of children aged under three years. Children above the age of three years, including adolescents and teens, should use a pea-sized amount. Teach the child to spit out the paste but do not rinse the mouth (2). A little bit of fluoride residue on the teeth can prevent tooth decay.
The next section has a list of the best toothpaste brands that you can consider for your child.
11 Best Toothpaste For Kids
1. Aquafresh Kids Pump Cavity Protection Toothpaste
The toothpaste protects the child’s mouth from cavities, bad breath, and tartar. It comes in a packaging that is easy for the children to use.
- The paste comes in a pump instead of a tube. You have to press a button to release the toothpaste from the nozzle. The pump lets you dispense the right amount of toothpaste properly on the toothbrush.
- Most parents love the pump design and state that it makes things less messy while applying toothpaste to the brush.
- The toothpaste contains fluoride and calcium that make the child’s teeth strong with regular use.
- Some children did not like the taste, and some found the flavor too strong.
2. Taners Tasty Paste Vanilla Bling Toothpaste
If you are looking for a toothpaste with an exciting flavor, then this one will surely be loved by your child.
- The toothpaste is available in vanilla ice cream flavor, something to make the kids look forward to brushing time.
- There is no sugar or added sulfates in the toothpaste. The toothpaste is also gluten-free.
- Many parents state that the unique flavor of the toothpaste works great for children who find other toothpaste flavors minty or spicy.
- The toothpaste is best for adolescents and teens since younger children may feel tempted to swallow the toothpaste due to its vanilla flavor.
3. Colgate Fluoride Toothpaste Cavity Protection For Kids
This toothpaste for kids comes from a brand that is world-renowned and widely trusted in the field of oral care.
- The flavor of the toothpaste is mild and thus will not overwhelm children with a strong essence.
- Some parents noted that the lack of a minty flavor makes the toothpaste ideal for children suffering from acid reflux.
- The American Dental Association endorses the toothpaste.
- Some buyers felt the size of the tube is smaller than expected while a few other buyers found the toothpaste a bit overpriced.
4. Orajel Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste
This fluoridated toothpaste comes with Spiderman imagery on its packaging, something that will make the little one excited about brushing their teeth.
- The active ingredient of fluoride in the toothpaste provides plenty of dental protection to the child’s teeth.
- Many parents stated that the toothpaste is best for children with sensitive taste buds and those who do not like the typical minty taste of toothpaste.
- Dentists and pediatricians widely recommend brand Orajel in the United States.
- The toothpaste does not foam up much, although it does not impact the cleaning abilities of the toothpaste.
5. Tom’s of Maine Anticavity Fluoride Children’s Toothpaste
This toothpaste for kids has a delicious flavor and offers complete oral care.
- The strawberry taste in the toothpaste is natural. The manufacturer adds real strawberry juice to render the flavor.
- There are no artificial dyes, flavors, preservatives, or artificial sweeteners.
- It is a cruelty-free and vegan product.
- Children who do not like the taste of strawberries may refuse to use it.
6. Hello Oral Care Toothpaste for Kids
This toothpaste is specially made to keep your child’s teeth strong while avoiding the dangers of harmful chemicals.
- The toothpaste does not contain any dyes, preservatives, and sweeteners. The paste is also free from sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and other sulfates.
- The taste of the toothpaste is pleasant and leaves the child’s mouth with a lingering flavor.
- The toothpaste is vegan and is not tested on animals.
- The fluoride version of the toothpaste is available in only a few flavors.
If your child loves gel over a paste, then this tooth gel from PRO-SYS can be an excellent choice.
- It is available in bubble gum flavor that kids love instantaneously. Parents also noted that the gel foams up quite well.
- It does not contain strong antibacterial compounds like triclosan.
- The American Dental Association endorses the tooth gel.
- Some children did not like the subtle, minty flavor on top of the bubble gum flavor.
8. Tom’s of Maine Natural Children’s Fruitilicious Fluoride Anticavity Gel
This is a safe tooth gel for kids to keep their teeth sparkling clean.
- The tooth gel is completely clear and does not contain any artificial dyes.
- The gel uses natural flavor, and the lack of added fragrance and preservatives makes it much better.
- The American Dental Association approves the tooth gel.
- The taste of the tooth gel can be hit or miss. Some parents report their children loving the flavor, but there are those who outright dislike the taste of the gel.
9. The Humble Co. Natural Toothpaste
This toothpaste from The Humble Co. contains adequate amounts of natural ingredients to provide safe dental care to your little one.
- The ingredients include extracts from plants that contain natural compounds to strengthen the teeth.
- The toothpaste is vegan and developed in consultation with dentists.
- The taste may not be to the liking of all children, although it depends on the personal preference of the child.
10. Kids Crest Toothpaste
This toothpaste for kids is made to provide gentle oral care with maximum dental protection.
- Parents state that the mild flavor of the toothpaste works great with children with sensitive taste buds.
- The toothpaste gets approval from the American Dental Association.
- A few buyers expected the size of the toothpaste tube to be a bit large for the price paid.
11. Colgate Kids Minions Toothpaste
The toothpaste provides the best overall protection to the child’s teeth.
- The packaging contains illustrations of the Minions, widely loved by children.
- There is no added sugar in the paste, which is also gluten-free.
- The flavor is a fruity one. Several parents report their children loving the mild taste.
- The color of the toothpaste is blue, which may be a bit disappointing to some children considering the Minions are yellow.
It is a must to brush your teeth at least twice a day. Also, brushing teeth after meals is a habit that goes a long way in keeping your little one’s smile bright. The best way to ensure they brush their teeth without any resistance is to pick a good kids’ toothpaste that protects their teeth.
Which toothpaste did you bring for your child? Share with us your experience in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.