Your kids might be fond of dogs; however, it might not always be convenient for you to keep a pet. The next best option? A toy dog. So in case you’re looking for an adorable soft toy dog for your little one, here is a list of the few best dog toys for kids. They can be great sleeping companions and favorite toys for playtime. They also are a wonderful gift for your kids on various occasions and can be the first step to introducing a pet to your little one if you plan to keep one in the future. Keep scrolling as we list some entertaining and best-selling toy dogs in a range of sizes from trusted brands to keep your children entertained and develop their empathy.
17 Best Toy Dogs For Kids
1. Best Realistic Design: Liberty Imports Flip Over Puppy
This dog toy for kids from the Liberty Imports Store is available in white and brown and looks like a real puppy. This entertaining dog toy for kids performs all kinds of walks and tricks—it can somersault 360 degrees too—and its legs are adjustable. This toy measures 7.4×6.9×4.2in. The puppy toy runs on two AA batteries and is recommended for children aged three years and above.
- Shed-resistant fur
- Tested to work smoothly on any surface
- Made of hypoallergenic materials
- Adjustable tail switch for landing purposes
- May not have a remote control to operate
- Barking sound can’t be turned off
2. Best Washable: Lotfancy Stuffed And Cuddly Puppy Dog
LotFancy‘s adorable and cuddly dog toy for kids can be gifted to children on various occasions. This perfect puppy-sized toy features an outer layer made of 100% natural fur and is stuffed with eco-friendly materials. It has a huggable floppy body and can be used as a pillow, making it a suitable addition to your child’s stuffed animal collection. The outer material of this plush doll is washable, and the suede material on its feet adds a luxurious feel to the entire toy.
The eyes of this kids’ dog toy are embroidered, and its red tongue, soft fur nose, and open mouth make it lifelike. The toy is recommended for children aged three years and above.
- Made of high-quality polyester fiber
- Has recycled stuffing
- No fur fading
- Available in two other colors
- Legs may not be flexible
- May not be well-stitched
3. Best Hypoallergenic: Haktoys Flip Over Puppy Battery Powered Dog
Made of plastic and fabric, this expert-approved Dalmatian walking dog can perform tricks and walk on any surface. It is also a safe toy for babies as it is hypoallergenic. The toy runs on two AA batteries and measures 7x3x4in.
This cute puppy does perfect 360-degree flips, and the child has to turn the puppy’s tail anti-clockwise to decrease the power of the hind legs for somersaults. Its soft outer layer and perfect size make it suitable for children aged three years and above to play with.
- Made of BPA-free material
- Features an adjustable switch
- Works on carpets, hardwood floors, and tiles
- CPSIA- and ASTM-certified
- Flipping may not be consistent for some
- Squeaky sound may be noisy for some
4. Best Premium-Quality Materials: Liberty Imports Plush Golden Retriever Toy
The kids’ dog toy from the trusted brand Liberty Imports measures 7 x 7 x 5in and can walk and perform tricks. It is also designed to bark, wag its tail, do somersaults, and stretch like a real puppy. The fur of this Golden Retriever is made of premium-quality materials and is pleasant and soft to the touch, making it one of the best parent-recommended dog toys for kids.
The dog toy is made of durable plastic material, and its fur is hypoallergenic. It runs on two AA batteries, and your child would love the cuddly dog as soon as they see it.
- Walks, barks, and wiggles
- Compatible with all types of floors and carpet
- Shed-resistant fur
- Features adjustable legs
- CPSIA- and ASTM-certified
- May only have a faint bark
- May run out of batteries soon
5. Best Smart Robot Toy: Meva Kids Walking And Barking Puppy Dog Toy
Available in black, white, and brown, this barking and walking dog toy for kids can be controlled with remote control. The smart robot toy is made of premium polyester material and is perfect for cuddling.
The toy operates on three AAA batteries. All your child has to do is press the button on the leash and enjoy playing with it. The bow and headbands make it super adorable.
- Encourages walking
- Helps improve children’s motor skills
- Has an easily accessible button
- Comes with a leash
- Includes ready-to-use batteries
- Available in three colors
- May not have a switch to turn off the sound
- Fur may shed
6. Best For Mature Children: HollyHome Plush Saint Bernard Electronic Interactive Toy
Your child will fall in love with this plush puppy. Ideal for mature children, this cute puppy stretches, wags its tail, barks, and walks. Two AA batteries are required to make this robot toy work. This toy Shih Tzy for kids measures seven inches from head to tail and is pleasant to touch. The dog toy’s features are striking, and it has an attractive and cute face.
- Stimulates interactive skills
- Soft to touch
- Easy to operate
- Available in two colors
- Ideal for gifting
- Seams at ears may not be well-stitched
- May not withstand rough use
7. Best Long-Lasting: Manhattan Toy Nursing Nana Dog Toy
Manhattan Toy’s interactive dog toy for kids is durable and long-lasting. This nurturing dog toy is incredibly soft and comes with embroidered facial features and paws, making it a trusted choice of many. It also comes with a set of three cute puppies held together by magnet screws sewn on the inside.
- Puppies attached to dogs with magnets
- Made of ultra-soft fabric
- Encourages pretend play
- Builds social skills
- May not be machine washable
8. Best High-Quality Fabric: The Petting Zoo Scruffy Dog Stuffed Animal
Available in purple, this stuffed toy dog for kids is the perfect puppy size. It is super soft and extremely cuddly, and your child would love to snuggle with it. It can be gifted on any occasion, such as Christmas and birthdays. The toy wears a heart-shaped jewel, a shiny collar, and a glitzy bow, making it look cute and attractive.
The toy poodle for kids is made of high-quality fabric. Its purple gumdrop nose makes it look even more adorable. The toy is suitable for children aged three years and above.
- Durable stitching
- Made of polyester material
- Promotes imaginative play
- Fade-resistant fur
- May not bark
9. Best For Gifting: Toymany 12PCS Mini Dog Figurines Toy Set
Realistic and detailed, this set of kids’ dog toys is the perfect gift for toddlers and preschoolers. The set includes 12 pieces, all made of plastic material. The breeds included in this set include two French bulldogs, a Labrador Retriever, a Golden Retriever, a flat-coated retriever, a German shepherd, a Japanese Akita, a foxhound, a Pekingese, a dachshund, a schnauzer, and a Pekingese.
The mini dogs are perfect for decorating your child’s room, bookshelf, desk, or any other place. In addition, this educational toy can teach them about the different varieties of dogs. The safe paint used on these figurines is odorless and non-toxic.
- Features uniquely molded textures
- Develops imagination and creativity
- Improves child’s concentration
- May not come with a storage box
- Colors may not be consistent with that of real dogs
10. Best Walking Dog Toy: PowerTRC Cute Somersault Little Puppy
PowerTRC’s cute toy Cavalier King Charles Spaniel flips, sits, barks, and walks. It is one of the best walking dog toys for kids. This tried-and-tested toy for children somersaults 360 degrees and always lands on its feet. It can be gifted to children on birthdays, Christmas, parties, etc.
The fluffy toy is made of durable materials and runs on two AA batteries. The red scarf around its neck is dangerously cute—it’ll melt your heart—while the soft materials make it cuddly. The toy is recommended for children aged three years and above.
- Helps improve children’s motor skills
- Safe and non-toxic
- Fur made of synthetic and hypoallergenic material
- Works on all surfaces
- Easily accessible battery compartment
- May not have a switch for volume
Suitable for children of all age groups, this time-tested plush doll from MerryMakers is a high-quality action-packed figure based on the character of ‘Dog Man’ from the graphic novel by Dav Pilkey. The doll is nine-inch tall and wears a cape and mask boots just like the character.
The lovable superhero toy is a perfect gift for children and can be gifted on various occasions such as birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year’s Eve. It is designed to promote imaginative play.
- Made of polyester material
- Durable seams
- Safe to wash
- Fixed fabric
- Arms may not move well
- May not be as interactive
Here’s an interactive dog toy for kids that can give them company for hours. This kids’ walking dog toy has a rechargeable battery and barks, wags, and stretches just like a real puppy. It is made of non-toxic, eco-friendly, and kid-friendly materials and is smooth and comfortable to touch, thus making it safe for toddlers as well.
The entertaining toy dog can be gifted to children on various occasions such as birthdays, Easter, and Christmas. It has a height of 8.6in and has striking features, and the hairs on this puppy do not come out easily.
- Shed-resistant furr
- Screw-secured battery compartment
- Helps improve motor skills
- Compatible with carpet, hard wood, and tiles
- Barking may be a bit loud for some
13. Sangkn Toy Dog
This interactive puppy by Sangln has a cute little face and attractive features and looks extremely realistic. Its soft, fluffy plush material makes it ready to cuddle, and it can wag its tail, bark in a squeaky voice, and walk. The dog comes in an attractive color and operates on 2AA batteries.
- Secured battery compartment
- Easily accessible switch
- Performs playful stretch
- Improves focus and attention span in children
- Some may find the sounds loud
- May be a bit smaller than expected
Available in white, this plush puppy comes with fun accessories. Little boys and girls aged three to six years can play with this toy. It nods its head, wags its tail, barks, and even walks with the short press of the handle and follows voice commands. It has all the sensory inputs you are looking for in a toy, and its leash length is perfect for your little one. Besides, it follows voice commands as it comes with a set of voice controls.
The fun accessories such as a mirror, a remote-control leash, a perfume bottle, a comb, hairdryer, feeding bottle, a bone, and four-foot covers provide children with endless fun and play possibilities. The puppy toy runs on three AA batteries, and the battery compartment has a Velcro strap.
- Includes hand-operated cable
- Promotes role play
- Enhances communication skills
- Does not shed fur
- Features screw-secured battery compartment
- Easy-to-access switch
- Barking sound may not seem realistic
- May run out of battery quickly
This toy by ArtCreativity comes in a set of two. The dogs wag their tails, bark, and walk. To see the effects, all your child has to do is press the button that is attached on top of the leash.
The walking dog toys for kids are ideal for children aged three years and above and make for amazing gifts. They have a fuzzy look to grab your child’s attention. The dogs run on two AA batteries each and are 5.5-inch wide and 4.5-inch long.
- Flashes LEDs lights through eyes
- Easy to operate
- Features a tiny hat
- Available in vibrant colors
- Colors may be assorted
- May look slightly bulky
Measuring 9.8×6.3×8.6 inches, this plush husky dog makes a great Christmas, Easter, or birthday gift. This adorable dog toy operates on batteries and can walk, bark, stretch, and wag its tail like a real puppy. To make the dog bark, your child can tap its head for a fun experience.
All the materials used in this faux pet are safe and environment-friendly, comfortable, soft, and smooth so that you can stay stress-free. It can walk on carpets and hard floors easily.
- No peculiar smell
- Can perform tricks
- Easy to operate
- May seem loud to some
- Leash might be flimsy
An ideal gift on any occasion, this dog toy is one of the best toys for children. The plush toy husky for kids has four AA batteries and all you have to do is press the “On” button to let it move in eight different ways. It is filled with PP cotton and is skin-friendly and safe for children. The robot toy is well-behaved and is meek.
A fine example of craftsmanship, this parent-recommended toy will improve your child’s intelligence and is ideal for hugging. It works on sensory inputs and also barks and whines. Further, the toy has striking features and looks real.
- Made of high-quality puff
- Voice- and touch-controlled switch
- Secure battery compartment
- Improves interaction skills
- CPSC- and ASTM-certified
- Movements may quicker than expected
- May not walk
How To Choose The Right Toy Dogs For Kids?
Consider the following points to choose the right toy dogs for kids.
- Material: The material must be non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and child-friendly. You may opt for plush fabric or even cotton or suede as they are soft and skin-friendly.
- Age: Choose a toy that is appropriate for a child’s age. If you pick complex toys with complex voice commands, your child may not enjoy them.
- Interest: While you can choose from different types of toy dogs, know the preferences of your child before picking the toy. Ask them about their preferences with regard to color, breed, etc.
- Size: Make sure you pick a toy that is of the ideal size and ergonomically designed to fit the child’s hands.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our experienced in-house writers and reviewers have carried out extensive research and analyzed several products and customer reviews to compile this list of the best toy dogs for kids. We have also included a buying guide highlighting all the important factors you need to keep in mind when buying a toy for your little one. The products listed here are made of safe materials and are designed to be interactive and engaging for your children.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long should a toy dog last?
That would depend on the amount of rough play it receives, the durability of the fabric used, and the quality of the sewing or glue work. If maintained well, good-quality toys may last for a couple of years.
2. Can toy dogs entertain kids?
A toy dog can not only serve as your child’s companion but also offer them the experience of owning a pet via pretend play. Some dogs also come with lights and sounds to entertain children, and toy dogs that walk can help improve children’s motor skills.
3. What is the best toy dog ever?
Although it may depend on what features your child fancies, an ideal dog toy may be one that’s soft, barks, wags its tails, performs a few simple antics, walks, is made with safe and durable materials, and is cuddleable.
4. Are toy dogs toxic?
If the dog toy is made with eco-friendly materials and the fur is shed-resistant while being supple and soft, it is probably child-friendly. Also, the batteries (if applicable) shouldn’t be easily accessible to children. Opting for toys that adhere to the CPSIA and/or ASTM standards is safer.
5. Do kids really like toy dogs?
Since most children are naturally drawn toward interacting with animals (1), introducing them to animal toys can be a better option that ensures their safety while entertaining them.
Surprise your little one with a toy dog and watch them play with their new best friend for hours. Our list of the best toy dogs for kids includes various fun options to suit your child’s interests. Many of these toys are also interactive which would thrill your child. However, ensure the toy is appropriately sized, hypoallergenic, and comfortable to play with for optimal safety. You must also consider your child’s preferences while buying a toy dog, such as its color, shape, height, and material. So, if you are unsure about adopting a new dog for your child, a toy dog can be a good, hassle-free option.
Infographic: Guide For Buying An Interactive Toy Dog For Your Children
Dogs are the most common pet animals people have in their houses, and if your child is also intrigued by these furry and cute animals, it is not a surprise. However, if you’re allergic to dogs, you can give your child an interactive toy dog to play with instead of getting a real dog. Check this infographic to learn some buying tips for a toy dog.
- Young Children’s Interest In Live Animals