Toys are often more than just playthings; they also help develop a child’s motor and cognitive skills. Choosing the best toy for a 15-month-old could be tricky because children at this age are in a crucial learning phase. The right toys will help them reach developmental milestones sooner rather than later. So, if you are searching for some unique toys for your toddler, you have arrived at the right place. Here, we have a list of time-tested toys that will make fun gifts for your little one.
11 Best Toys For 15-Month-Old-Baby
1. Best For Motor Skills: VTech Smart Shots Sports Center
Keep your little one engaged with this tried-and-tested sports center by VTech. The two-in-one hoop toy features a basketball for shooting hoops and a soccer ball for kicking. It helps develop the motor skills of your toddler. The scoreboard is equipped with animated LEDs and counts baskets up to ten, and the toy plays more than 50 songs, phrases, and sounds are also included with the toy. This can be a fun birthday gift for your little sportsman. Watch a tester’s experience in this review video for more information.
- Promotes curiosity
- Easy-to-grasp ball
- Non-skid base
- Durable design
- May not be heavy enough
- May be smaller than you expect
2. Best For Hand-Eye Coordination: Hape Pound & Tap Bench with Slide Out Xylophone
Bring home the versatile multifunctional and award-winning xylophone by Hape suitable for children aged 12 months to three years. The pounding of the toy sends the balls tinkling over, and children need to fetch them for fun play. It helps develop motor skills, enhance dexterity and improve hand-eye coordination. This best-selling musical toy for toddlers encourages musical development and is super safe and non-toxic, making it a suitable gift option. Go through a tester’s experience in this review video for a detailed understanding of the product.
- Water-based paint finishing
- Strengthens arm muscle
- Easy-to-grip handle
- Smooth edges
- Bright colors
- Sound quality may not be great
- Some parts may splinter over time
3. Best Colorful: LeapFrog Scout’s Learning Lights Remote
LeapFrog’s learning lights remote is an imitative toy equipped with more than 65 songs, tunes, and fun audio responses. Use it to teach several early concepts around numbers and shapes to your child and develop their motor skills. It runs on three AAA batteries and comes with more than ten vibrant lights and a weather button. For more information on the product, check out this video of a reviewer testing the toy.
- Encourages interaction
- Boosts social skills
- Encourages pretend play
- Available in two colors
- Battery may run out pretty quickly
- Buttons may be a bit fragile
4. Best Easy-To-Assemble: Little Tikes Go and Grow Lil’ Rollin’ Giraffe
Let your toddler ride and have fun with this bike. The Little Tike ride is a three-wheel bike with an oversized back wheel that provides enhanced safety and stability to your toddler. The premium ride-on toy for toddlers is suitable for indoor and outdoor fun and helps strengthen balance and coordination skills of your child. The wide front wheel base and adjustable seat make it super comfy for children, making it a suitable birthday gift option for 15-month-olds.
- Develops motor skills
- Easy-grip handles
- Includes wheel guard for safety
- Controlled steering radius
- Requires minimal assembly
- May not glide well on carpet
- Backrest may be slightly low
5. Best BPA-Free: Green Toys Submarine
Built using recycled plastic milk containers, the Green Toys submarine is free of phthalates, and BPA. Help your toddler enjoy a nautical journey with this fine motor skill toy for 15-month-olds. It features a spinning rear propeller, flat bottom, classic handle, and wide mouth opening. This bath toy can be a great addition to your toddler’s shower time. The easy-to-clean toy for toddlers is dishwasher-safe and suitable for both indoor and outdoor play.
- Removable cabin
- No battery required
- Free of PVC
- Enhances hand-eye coordination
- Improves fine motor skills
- May be slightly bulky
- Handle may be a bit flimsy
"Thanks to this submarine toy, bathtime in my house has become an event my son looks forward to. Although lifting the toy by the handle when it's filled with water can cause the lid to open, it's a minor flaw in an otherwise robust toy. It even floats on water, and its eco-friendly construction aligns with my eco-conscious values."
6. Best For Arm Movement: Kidwill Montessori Wooden Hammering Pounding Toy
Keep your little one busy and enhance their hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills with the Kidwill Wooden Hammering Pounding Toy. This versatile puzzle for 15-month-olds features a pounding bench, a number maze puzzle, and a xylophone. As per reviews, the eight-note xylophone encourages musical development and audio recognition, and the number maze puzzle helps with number recognition.
- Odorless water-based paint
- Smooth edges
- Strengthens arm muscles
- Meets quality standards
- Numbers in the number maze might not slide easily
- Might be smaller than expected
"Although it has been a few months since I introduced this toy to my toddler, its multifaceted design keeps him entertained for hours on end. While the puzzle side of the toy could have been smoother, the overall construction and durability are pretty commendable. Overall, the blend of music, puzzles, and other features has offered multiple benefits to my little one"
7. Best For Pretend-Play: LeapFrog My First Learning Tablet
The children’s tablet has realistic features, including a home button and 20 app icons that teaches letters, numbers, shapes, and more to little children. By pressing the Scout button, your child can interact with Scout, who talks and guides them as they explore the functions of this tablet. Sliding fingers across the screen of this pretend play toy for 15-month-olds can trigger various colors, lights, and sound effects, making it an engaging experience for children.
- 20 familiar melodies and three songs
- Various modes, including music, learn, and explore
- Lightweight design
- Durable structure
- Might be a little smaller than expected
- Some children may find it confusing
"I got this educational tablet as a birthday present for my little one. He also loves taking pretend pictures and dancing to the songs offered by it. While he is yet to get the hang of the learning modes, the toy has been ideal for making playtime fun."
8. Best For Language Skills: VTech Lil’ Critters Spin And Discover Ferris Wheels
Help your child boost their language skills with VTech Lil’ Critters Spin And Discover Ferris Wheels. The attractive animal buttons on this Ferris wheel introduce your child to numbers, colors, and animals. With happy music, flashing stars, and a friendly voice, this unique baby toy keeps your child engaged for hours.
- Five sing-along songs
- Strengthens gross motor skills
- Suction cup holds the ferris wheel in place
- Comes with two AAA batteries
- Might be a little noisy
- Might not stick well on rough surfaces
9. Best Interactive: VTech Musical Rhymes Book
This interactive nursery rhyme book has been designed to support early education and enhance fine motor skills. It plays six nursery rhymes and features five colorful piano buttons and two play modes-music and learning. Turn up the six pages to explore a flashing light-up star with sound. You can also keep your little one engaged for hours with the book’s 40+ songs, melodies, sound effects, and phrases with this interactive toy for toddlers.
- Easy-to-turn pages
- Adjustable volume
- Teaches colors, instruments, and rhymes
- Meets the US Toy Safety Standards
- Promotes sensory development
- May be slightly heavy
- Sound may be screechy
10. Best Premium-Quality Wood: Dreampark Educational Toddler Toys
Enhance your little one’s concentration with this education toy. The Dreampark wooden block toy for toddlers is a premium wooden toy made using water-based paints. Equipped with smooth edges, the stacking geometry board for 15-month-olds is safe to play with. Your toddler needs to match different geometric shapes on four columns. This educational toy for toddlers enhances shape identification skills, hand-eye coordination and more.
- Enhances logical-thinking skills
- Boosts focus
- Stimulates color recognition
- Easy-to-grasp shapes
- Develops parent-child interaction
- Paint may not be chip-resistant
- Size may be small
11. Best For Color Recognition: Melissa & Doug K’s Kids My First Activity Book
If you’re searching for the best birthday gift for your toddler, Melissa & Doug brings you this cloth activity book for hands-on, screen-free play for children aged up to two years. An ideal sensory toy for 15-month-olds, the activity book with attached soft handles features fun activities like buckling, buttoning, counting, peek-a-boo, and matching. See your little one jump in delight as the toy set includes a crinkling surprise, a removable hand puppet, and two finger puppets. Also, telling the time has never been fun with the included clock with movable hands.
- Durable and soft
- Improves fine motor skills and color recognition
- Promotes sensory development
- Comes in a clear tote with a handle
- Might be a bit smaller than expected
- Zipper might not be sturdy enough
"The range of activities in this plush book, including the finger puppets and buckles, have helped my toddler work on his motor skills. While some components were more advanced for his age, it ensures that the toy will grow with the child. Overall, the book has been an enriching addition to his playtime."
How To Choose The Right Toy For A 15-Month-Old?
Here are the factors you should keep in mind while buying age-appropriate toys for a 15-month-old.
- Engaging: Consider your little one’s interests and look for toys that pique their curiosity. Little kids have limited attention spans. Choose toys that are fun and appealing for them while promoting sensory development, such as textured toys and sensory balls. You can also consult a child development expert to get a better understanding of the appropriate options.
- Skills: Choose the toy based on the skill you want to nurture in your child. Different toys might focus on various learning skills, such as toy trains for motor skills, language development, and easy-to-grab puzzles with large knobs for cognitive skills.
- Size: Pay attention to the size of the toy and choose the one that can fit in your toddler’s playroom. If you have a small room, invest in small toys rather than large ones.
- Non-toxic: Look for a toy that is free of BPA, toxins, lead, and other harmful chemicals so that your little one can easily play with it without supervision. Opt for softer toys such as stuffed animals to reduce the chances of getting hurt during playtime.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What kind of toys should a 15-month-old have?
Toys that are made of non-toxic materials, big enough to not cause a choking hazard, and have smooth edges and corners are ideal for 15-month-olds. Apart from these safety aspects, the toys that can be easily used and understood by the toddler are crucial as they allow them to play independently without much assistance.
2. What do 15-month-old babies play with?
Being fascinated by their immediate surroundings, most 15-month-olds are attracted to toys that stimulate their sensory responses either in the form of sight, sounds, or mobility. Our list above can help you choose such entertaining and safe developmental toys for 15-month-olds.
3. Can a 15-month-old play with playdough?
Playdough could be an advanced-level toy for most 15-month-olds. They could be too small to comprehend how to play with it. Most importantly, clay could pose a choking threat as toddlers usually love to put almost everything into their tiny mouths. Instead, opt for toys such as stacking cups and shape sorters to help your toddler’s cognitive development.
When babies reach the age of 15 months, the best toys for a 15-month-old baby help them achieve their developmental milestones by stimulating various senses and promoting different skills. Since babies have a limited attention span, choosing colorful toys that make sounds can help capture their attention. When you choose a toy made of non-toxic material, such as the Hape Pound & Tap Bench with Slide Out Xylophone, your beloved child will be safe when playing with it. Given the many toys available on the market, you can choose one based on the skills you want to nurture. For instance, the VTech Smart Shots Sports Center is ideal for developing motor skills, while the LeapFrog Scout’s Learning Lights Remote can improve numeracy skills.
Infographic: Things To Remember When Choosing Toys For 15-Month-Olds
A 15-month-old can walk independently and would be at a rapid developmental stage. Therefore, you must include toys in their playtime that can support their developmental process and help them to achieve various skills. Check out the infographic below to learn about some tips you should consider when choosing the toys for them.
Explore More From (Product Category)
When choosing (product category), you can trust recommendations from MomJunction’s editorial team and expert reviewers. We have compared and analyzed the features of several products to let you make the right choice. Click these links for more options.
- Best Toys For Two Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For One Month Old Baby
- Best Toys For Your 5 Month Old Baby
- Best Toys For Four Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 16 Month Old
- Best Toys For 7 Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 8 Month Old Babies
- Best Educational Toys For 6 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 18 To 24 Months Old
- Best Toys For 8 9 And 10 Year Old Boys
- Best Educational Toys For 8 Year Olds
- Best Toys For Crawlers
- Best Toys For 3 Year Old Boys
- Best Outdoor Toys For 5 Year Olds
- Best Sensory Toys For Toddlers
- Best Outdoor Toys For Kids
- Best Toys For 1 Year Old Boys
- Best Toys For 12 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 5 6 7 Year Old Boys
- Best Toys For 1 Year Old Girl
- Musical benefits
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our writer Priti Bose has thoroughly researched consumer-tested products for this post on the best toys for 15-month-olds before adding them to the list. She has studied their specifications, including interactive, vibrant, and educational designs. These features have also been mentioned under each product. She has also read several customer reviews from various e-commerce websites and has included a well-researched buying guide to help you make an informed choice.