The best toys for crawlers are those that encourage tummy time, promote engagement, help movement, and stimulate the senses. Crawling is an important developmental milestone for most newborns. Babies often start crawling between the ages of seven and nine months, and some infants may skip the crawling stage and proceed straight from sitting to standing and walking (1) (2).
It is a good approach to get toys that encourage babies to crawl. Thus, we’ve compiled a list of the top crawler toys for you to consider. Keep scrolling and add some to your cart.
13 Best Toys For Crawlers
1. Best Textured: Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
The Sassy Developmental bumpy ball comes with bright colors, multiple patterns, and easy-to-hold bumps, making it a must-have for your crawling baby. The bumps on the ball help develop motor skills as they encourage them to reach out and transfer it from one hand to another. This video will help you learn more about this sensory toy for crawlers.
- Beads produce gentle rattle sounds to create neural connections in the brain
- Bouncy, squeezable, and soft to touch
- Contrasting colors encourage visual tracking
- Textured surface stimulates tactile sense
- May be slightly big for tiny hands
- May not be easy to clean
2. Best For Stimulating Senses: VTech Wiggle And Crawl Ball
Your little one will not get bored with this wiggle-and-crawl exploration toy for crawlers. They will be engaged for hours ball as they watch it wiggle, wobble, and roll over the floor. It has light-up buttons to teach children about animals, colors, and numbers and aid language development.
- Bright colors and flashing lights stimulate their senses
- Spin, slide, twist, or press buttons aid in developing fine motor skills
- Plays songs, melodies, sounds, and phrases
- Works on carpeted and hard floors
- May not be suitable for rough play
- May be slightly noisy
3. Best For Fine Motor Skills: Melissa & Doug Pull-Back Vehicles
Here is a set of toy vehicles, including a family car, school bus, police car, and a fire truck, that work on a rev-up mechanism. The soft and lightweight vehicles for crawlers are easy to lift and roll and encourage your baby to crawl. This video will help you learn more about this textured toy for crawlers.
- Made of quality fabric
- Grasping and pulling back the toys help develop fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Helps develop sensory and communication skills
- Easy to clean
- Plastic parts may pose a choking hazard
- Colors may bleed
4. Best For Interactive Play: Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Crawl Around Car
Let your child sit in the driver’s seat of this Fisher-Price stationary car with exciting features for learning letters, colors, numbers, first words, and more. The Smart Stages technology in the toy introduces toddlers to around 75 songs, phrases, tunes, and the three balls and shape-sorting toys for crawlers. Watch this video for a detailed review of the product.
- Interactive dashboard with lights, sounds, and busy activities
- Helps them sit up, crawl, stand, and move around
- Toy resembles a car
- Includes three balls and three shape blocks
- Encourages hands-on learning
- May be challenging to assemble
- Volume may not be loud enough
5. Best Musical: Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
Bring the orchestra right to your child’s fingertips with this musical toy for crawlers that features five instruments. The eight music compositions of harp, piano, French horn, violin, and flute of this stimulating toy for crawlers can introduce children to music at an early stage. It also has a two-level volume control button to keep a check on the volume levels of the toy.
- Bright colors and sounds encourage interactive play
- Simple and large press buttons to activate the instruments
- Soft and rounded corners make it easy for children to hold the toy
- Includes flashing lights
- May be slightly heavy
- Some may find the toy noisy
6. Best Easy-To-Hold: Skip Hop Follow-Me Bee Crawl Toy
This could be one of the best toys that encourages babies to crawl through its three stages. They learn to crawl via energetic tunes, colorful lights, and buzzing sounds. The easy-to-hold rattle wobbles, moves in a circular pattern, and moves in random patterns to encourage pre-crawlers, beginner crawlers, and advanced crawlers to move and stay engaged. It also doubles as a teething toy for crawlers, as it has a rubberized surface that soothes the gums.
- Comes with an instruction manual
- Equipped with a sensor to avoid obstacles
- Toy encourages crawling and develops child’s muscles
- Flashes colorful lights and plays music
- Children may require adult supervision while playing with the toy
- Toy may not be carpet-friendly
7. Best With Cheerful Music: Bright Starts Roll And Glow Monkey Toy
Just tap on its head, and the Bright Starts Roll & Glow Monkey moves with glowing wheels and cheerful music. As your baby catches the monkey, you can press the button to make the monkey move again, making it the ideal cause-and-effect toy for crawlers.
- Encourages the child to move around
- Suitable for tiled floors
- Can be used for parent-child bonding
- Can be cleaned with a damp cloth and mild soap
- May require a screwdriver to change the batteries
- Lights in the wheels may be a tad too flashy for the child
8. Best For Problem Solving: Yookidoo Musical Crawl N’ Go Snail Toy With Stacker
The Yookidoo Crawl N’ Go Snail toy could be one of the best toys for crawlers. Just press the green button to switch on the snail and watch it roll away along with the music. It doubles as a stacking toy for crawlers and encourages the babies to track the motion of the snail, eventually getting them to stretch and crawl.
- Has a child-friendly tail operation button
- Includes a parent on/off button for silent play mode
- Stacker helps develop motor skills and problem solving abilities
- Suitable for use on carpets
- Helps children learn cause and effect
- May require frequent battery change
- Some children might find the sounds to be loud
9. Best With Safe Materials: B. Toys By Battat Looky-Looky Crawl Along Mirror
Your little one will love this rolling toy for crawlers, as they can see themselves in the mirror built within it. The two big wheels keep the mirror steady and spinning on the floor while your baby chases after it. One wheel entertains with its rattle beads while the other wheel of this mirror toy for crawlers has a spiral design and produces a soft chiming sound.
- Made of safe materials that are 100% recyclable.
- Encourages the child to crawl, move, and stay active
- Apt for sensory development
- Mirror promotes self-awareness
- May not be sturdy enough
- Mirror may not be child-proof
10. Best For Push And Play: LeapFrog Count And Crawl Number Kitty
The push kitty from LeapFrog plays high and low meowing sounds, silly sounds, and original melodies. Press the keys to listen to number names from one to 20 with ‘cat-tastic’ counting rhymes. Your baby can push the toy and crawl along with the kitty, making it the ideal push and pull toy for crawlers.
- Includes a spinning ball and mode-switch button
- Comes with a parental instruction manual for safe play
- Helps improve balance and motor skills
- Kitty can be made to sit up
- Batteries may drain quickly
- Baby may outgrow it pretty quickly
11. Best Engaging: WolVol Musical Press And Crawl Baby Activity Toy
Babies get attracted to bright colors and lights, and this eye-catching press-and-crawl baby toy has them both. When the back is tapped, the gross motor skill toy for crawlers extends its body and moves forward for your child to chase it.
- Made of sturdy and durable plastic
- Helps strengthens the baby’s muscles
- Suitable for gifting on occasions such as birthdays
- Music and lights in the toy engages and entertains the baby
- Size may be smaller than expected
- Sounds may be a bit loud
12. Best Educational: Cute Stone Turtle Toy
Make your munchkin learn while playing with the turtle toy by Cute Stone. It is made of non-toxic ABS material. The multifunctional toy for crawlers encourages your little one to crawl, build muscle, and promotes fine motor skills, as the toy crawls slowly at the press of a button. The fun interactive toy for crawlers also teaches numbers and the alphabet.
- Suitable for pretend-play
- Made of sturdy and shatterproof ABS
- Plays lullabies and animal and drum sounds to aid in auditory development
- Has volume-adjustment button
- May not move if placed on a carpet
- Telephone cord may not be very safe for toddlers
13. Best With Light And Sound: LotFancy Baby Musical Crawling Learning Ball
This is an amusing ball from LotFancy with eye-catching flashing lights, hilarious music, and animal sounds. It has four geometric shape buttons to play different animal sounds. The light-up toy for crawlers works on two AAA batteries and switches off automatically after some inactivity.
- Encourages children to move, crawl and develop gross motor skills
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Durably built with top-quality ABS material
- Encourages interactive play
- May require effort to move the ball
- May require frequent battery change
How To Choose The Right Toys For Crawlers?
Here are some points to keep in mind when buying the best toys for your crawling baby.
- Crawling stage: Filter the options to check the suitable crawling toys for your baby and read the features to know if they are appropriate to your baby’s age and encourage their crawling.
- Safety: Check for any removable accessories and its assembly so that the child will not get any access to or swallow small parts. It is good to choose those that have been manufactured according to international safety standards.
- Durability: The baby might bang the toy occasionally, so buy a crawler toy that is durable.
- Price: This aspect also plays a role in getting a better toy. If you have a budget, stick to it and buy a toy that is reasonably priced and of good quality.
- Features: Check if the toy lets you make minor alterations based on your child’s age. Prefer toys that grow with your child, letting them use them even beyond the crawling stage. Toys with customizable functions, such as the facility to turn off sounds and lights, can be given preference.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our established toys specialist Priti Bose brings you a list of the best toys for crawlers. The toys mentioned in the list are colorful and attractive. Some have features, such as flashing lights and animal sounds, to stimulate your baby’s senses. Priti has selected each toy after carefully considering your baby’s safety and age-appropriate developmental needs. She has described each toy’s features and has provided a buying guide to help you make the right choice.
While crawlers encourage babies to crawl and learn to walk eventually, tying attractive toys to the crawler can help keep them engaged during their tummy time. The best toys for crawlers are available in various shapes, sizes, colors, and textures. Buying a suitable toy per your needs can help babies engage different senses, such as auditory, tactile, and visual senses. Our recommendations include the easily washable Melissa & Doug Pull-Back Vehicles and the interactive Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Crawl Around Car. The colorful Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball is also ideal for enhancing visual tracking. The toys should feature round edges and be free of removable or detachable parts that may be a choking hazard to ensure your child’s safety.
Infographic: Toys For Babies That Can Crawl
Babies extensively use their limbs to navigate and understand the world around them. You can go through this infographic to choose toys that will help in enhancing your child’s social and emotional skills.
Explore More From (Product Category)
When choosing (product category), you can trust recommendations from MomJunction’s editorial team and expert reviewers. We have compared and analyzed the features of several products to let you make the right choice. Click these links for more options.
- Best Toys For Two Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For Your 5 Month Old Baby
- Best Toys For Four Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 16 Month Old
- Best Toys For 7 Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 8 Month Old Babies
- Best Educational Toys For 6 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 18 To 24 Months Old
- Best Toys For 15 Month Old Baby
- Best Toys For 8 9 And 10 Year Old Boys
- Best Educational Toys For 8 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 3 Year Old Boys
- Best Outdoor Toys For 5 Year Olds
- Best Sensory Toys For Toddlers
- Best Outdoor Toys For Kids
- Best Toys For 1 Year Old Boys
- Best Toys For 12 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 5 6 7 Year Old Boys
- Best Toys For 1 Year Old Girl
- Best Toys For One Month Old Baby
- Baby milestones by month: What to expect; Geisinger Health
- Helyn Kim and Esther Care; Learning progressions: Pathways for 21st century teaching and learning; The Brookings Institution
- How music affects your baby’s brain: Mini Parenting Master Class
- Best Mittens for Babies
- Best Robot Toys
- Best Science Kits For Kids
- Best Softball Cleats
- Best Development Toys For A 6-Month-Old