The best toys for preschool are designed to initiate play and support a child’s development. These skill-building play toys encourage children to imagine, create, and explore the environment around them and help develop their fine motor skills.
If they have the right kind of preschool toys, a child can effortlessly learn quite a few things. Although you can find plenty of toys out there that claim to be the most innovative ones, it can be hard to find the right one for your child. So, to make things simpler for you, we bring you a list of some best-selling and teacher- and parent-recommended toys for preschool. Keep scrolling and pick the right one for your child.
15 Best Toys for Preschool
This is one of the best toys designed for preschool. It is a set of different musical toys that include beating, tapping, bowling, and shaking instruments. This expert-approved musical instrument for preschoolers is an awesome gift for little ones during birthdays, Christmas, etc., and is an ideal set for introducing them to different musical sounds and teaching them cause and effect. Check out this review of the musical toy set.
- Consists of 15 types and 27 pieces of musical toys
- Made of high-quality, non-toxic material
- Comes with a tote bag for easy storage
- Safe for young children
- Some parts may be quite small
- Bells may not be securely attached to the instrument
With this preschool educational toy, learning can be made more fun. The transportation toy consists of a tractor, a farmer, and four farm animals. All the animals are removable and make realistic sounds when pushed. It makes a good toy for teaching children about farm animals and the sounds they make.
- Comprises a push tractor with wagons
- Farmer sings “Old McDonald” when pushed
- Ideal toy for improving hand-eye coordination
- Suitable for children aged 12 months and above
- May stop playing sounds over time
- May not withstand rough play
This set by Gleeporte is one of the best preschool educational toys that requires sorting and stacking of pegs of different colors. It makes a great toy for children in preschool as it is designed for developing children’s hand-eye coordination, sorting, and fine motor skills. A constructive and educational toy, it is also a good pick for children with special needs. You may check out this product testing video by a reviewer.
- Comprises 60 pegs of six different colors
- Includes two large square foam peg boards measuring 8.5in
- Designed around the popular Montessori Occupational Therapy
- Large pegs for better grip and safety
- Helps in learning number counting and color patterns
- Some pegs may not have smooth edges
- Foam peg board may be prone to wear and tear
Learning is fun and easy with this educational toy for preschoolers. It is a wooden puzzle that requires little children to sort colorful rings, recognize different colors and shapes, and learn number counting. This puzzle for preschoolers is a combination of attractively shaped blocks made of wood that will delight three-year-old boys and girls.
- Montessori toy for early development
- Designed for learning numbers, colors, and shapes
- Made of 100% natural wood with smooth edges
- Painted using non-toxic colors
- Helps develop sorting and motor skills
- Smaller pieces can pose a choking hazard
- Wooden pegs may be prone to wiggling
5. Best For Cognitive Skills:JoyIn Play-Act Counting Sorting Bears Toy Set with Matching Sorting Cups
This tried-and-trusted set by Joyin is a complete educational toy with 12 different activities for children to keep their brains busy. The amazing STEM toy encourages sorting colors and shapes, counting numbers, and performing addition and subtraction. The skill-building 82-piece set includes 72 cute bears in six colors, one jumbo tweezer, three dice, and six colorful honey jars.
- Designed to develop motor skills
- Helpful in learning basic math skills
- Develops cognitive and critical thinking skills
- Ideal Montessori learning toy for children aged three years and above
- Comes with an easy-to-follow instruction book
- May not be intricately made
- Small bears can be choking hazards
This is one of the best toys designed to develop and improve the motor skills of preschoolers. It is created around a nature-themed story and makes for a fun catching and feeding game. The toddler toy has worms hidden in the tree, and children need to grab and feed them to the baby bird, thus improving hand-eye coordination.
- Simple and fun educational toy
- Made of high-quality wood
- Painted with BPA-free and non-toxic paints
- Easy and convenient storage
- Worms may not stay put in the holes
- Magnet on momma bird may not be strong enough
Designed to improve the intellectual and physical development of your toddler, this preschool toy comprises basic blocks in different shapes. It contains 20 pieces of detachable and removable blocks that can help encourage creativity and develop their fine motor skills.
- Perfectly sized and designed for a toddler’s hand
- Shape-, color-, and size-related educational toy
- Develops hand-eye coordination
- Free of lead, BPA, and phthalates
- Smooth edges for safety
- Pegs may come out easily
- Pegs may be placed a little too close to each other
This exciting race track by the trusted brand Hahaland is made of durable ABS plastic that can withstand rough play, and its non-toxic, water-based paint makes it safe for children. Your child has to guide the three cars included in the set through the track and pass eight challenges. This toy has six buttons to help pass the challenges, teaching your child about cause and effect. The track is brightly colored to keep children entertained and improve their color perception.
- Rounded, smooth edges
- Helps improve hand-eye coordination and motor skills
- No batteries required
- Available in two sizes
- Cars may be smaller than expected
- Helicopter spinning mechanism may be slightly loud
9. Best Portable: 3 Bees & Me Buddies in a Bag Fun Toddler & Preschool Learning Toys
This is one of the best preschool toy sets for toddler boys and girls. Consisting of colorful animal action figures, this playset involves creatively stacking and sorting the pieces. With this simple toy, you can keep your little one busy at home or even when you are traveling.
- Designed to develop fine motor skills and encourage creativity
- Comes with a bag for easy storage
- Lightweight and portable
- Montessori toy for learning colors and link-building
- Toys might be a little stiff to build
- Figures may not stay connected
The interesting building toy for preschoolers consists of magnetic tiles of different shapes. The block creation magnetic toy for preschoolers can help children with color and shape recognition and encourage creative and practical thinking. Bring home this safety-tested STEM toy to develop your child’s imagination and make them more creative.
- 70-piece playset with different geometric shapes
- Big magnets for stronger magnetic power
- Smooth surface and round edges
- Made of imported ABS plastic
- CPSIA- and ASTM-certified
- Perfect gift for kids aged three years and above
- Tiles may be prone to breaking
- Blocks may be smaller than expected
This safety-tested stacking toy for children by Kizh consists of stacking blocks of different shapes and colors. This activity toy set is a fun way to learn to construct the letters of the alphabet, numbers, and various other shapes. This construction set includes shape sorters for preschoolers, so children can develop hand-eye coordination and color and shape recognition.
- Includes 26 stacking blocks made of wood
- Comprises a pegboard for assembly
- No sharp edges for safety
- Painted using non-toxic colors
- ASTM-, CPISA-, CPC-, and EN71-certified
- Pieces might be a little thin
- May not withstand rough play
The tried-and-trusted STEM toy for preschoolers consisting of straws can let your tiny tot create simple and complex structures. Let them use their imagination to build ships, forts, and rockets with this interlocking toy set. It is one of the best educational preschool toys to fire the creativity of little engineers.
- Straw connector set to stimulate imagination
- Made of BPA- and toxin-free plastic
- Designed for fine-tuning children’s motor skills
- Open-ended design encourages creativity
- Introduces children to counting, designing, sorting, grouping, and constructing
- Improves spatial thinking, problem-solving, and physical skills
- May be hard to connect
- May not have enough pieces to build complex structures
This is a vibrant and manipulative sensory toy for preschoolers designed to develop basic skills like creative thinking, color recognition, visual perception, and motor skills in children. Playing with this pretend play toy for preschoolers can help the little ones enhance their creativity and understanding of the world around them. The three-dimensional flower garden building playset includes assorted flowers, leaves, and stems in bright colors to let your child create a new garden every time.
- Comprises 98 pieces of flower components
- Interchangeable pieces support multiple flower arrangements
- Develops color recognition and stimulates visual sense
- Sturdy and made of non-toxic, high-quality materials
- Includes a cute kettle for pretend-play
- Pieces may fall apart with a slight touch
- Pieces may be small
14. Best Building Blocks: Migargle Wooden Building Blocks Set, City Construction Stacker
This unique construction set for preschoolers comes with a play mat and building blocks with numbers and words. These colorful and tactile building blocks for preschoolers encourage collaborative play, enabling toddlers to share ideas and work together to build imaginative worlds. This is one of the best preschool toys that let your child use their imagination to create their own city, thus improving their motor and cognitive skills in the process.
- Made with high-quality wood and BPA-free plastic
- Easy-to-grasp blocks
- Compact, sturdy, and easy to store
- Improves attention span and hand-eye coordination
- Introduces children to different important buildings in a city
- Puzzle may not lay flat
- Might be a little complex for some children
15. Best Easy-To-Store:Gamenote Magnetic Alphabet Maze Board
Learning the letters of the alphabet is made easy and fun with this maze. It contains colorful balloons, with each balloon representing a letter of the alphabet. In this board game for preschoolers, there are 26 corresponding magnet letters that need to be matched using a magnet pen. This quality-tested product is an educational toy for improving hand-eye coordination and motor skills while learning the letters of the alphabet and their sequence.
- Board is made of square hardwood
- Easy to store
- Magnet pen is attached to the board
- Sturdy and durable construction
- Magnetic pen may scratch the plastic cover
- Letters may twist around, making it difficult to match sometimes
How To Choose The Right Toys For Preschoolers?
With every preschool toy claiming to be the best at assisting the development of your child, it might be confusing for you to pick one. Consider these points to choose the right toy for preschoolers.
- Open-ended toys: Look for age-appropriate and open-ended toys that can be used for playing different games. These toys can help improve a child’s creativity and develop their logical thinking skills while providing them with endless fun and play possibilities.
- Problem-solving toys: Let your kid become a problem-solver with toys that can help them figure out things independently and be innovative.
- Material: Never miss out on the material that has been used to construct the toys. Toys made of non-toxic, chemical-free materials and paints make a safe choice.
- Smooth edges: We often miss out on checking the edges, and if they are sharp, they can be dangerous. Always look for toys that have smooth edges to avoid injuries.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a product writer and reviewer who focuses on reviewing toys and gifts. Her systematic approach of writing includes going through several credible sources and gathering information about the products with the highest customer satisfaction and credibility. She followed the same procedure for this post on best preschool toys and put together a list of toys that your kids will love to play with. These entertaining toys can also help develop your child’s fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
Preschool is that phase of children’s lives when they learn rapidly and witness a growth spurt. The best toys for preschoolers can enhance their learning, promote several skills, and help build a foundation for your child’s school years. For instance, alphabet and number toys, toys with animal, fruit, and vegetable names, and puzzles enhance memory, attention, and other cognitive skills. Our top picks include the Tomy John Deere Animal Sounds Hayride Preschool Toy with interactive features, the JoyIn Play-Act Counting Sorting Bears Toy Set with Matching Sorting Cups for introducing kids to numbers and colors, and the MagBlock Magnetic Toys For Toddlers Kit to encourage creativity and STEM skills. Once you find a suitable toy that’s colorful, useful, and engaging, your child will have endless time interacting with it.
Infographic: A Guide To Finding The Best Preschool Toys
Preschool toys can help your child develop the necessary skills and enhance their knowledge while having fun. When choosing preschool toys, keep an eye out for a few fundamental factors to find the right toy for your child. Check out this infographic below to learn more about the essential tips.
- Best Educational Toys For Toddlers To Buy
- Best Educational Toys For 3-Year-Olds
- Best Educational Toys For 2-Year-Olds To Learn While Playing
- Best Educational Toys For Four-Year Olds