If you are looking for an entertaining toy for your child, here’s our list of the best train sets for toddlers that can keep your little ones happy and busy while learning. These train sets contain numbers and alphabets to help your child learn new skills, improving their creativity, imagination, and motor skills. To help you choose the right one, you can explore our list to learn more.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Train Sets For Toddler
Gift your little one the Lego Duplo train set. It is a learning and counting train set. This educational toy is ideal for two to five year old children. It consists of 23 pieces of buildable locomotives with three wagons. Each brick is designed with numbers zero to nine, and the set includes a cute little cat figure. The set can be built and rebuilt to keep the child engaged. It encourages building skills and enhances a child’s imaginative powers. The built train measures 3x14x2 inches and is safe for children. Watch this video to get a detailed review of the product.
- Introduces early math
- Promotes roleplay
- Suitable for preschoolers
- Easy to hold
- May be smaller than expected
- Snapping the blocks may be a bit hard
The electric train set for toddlers from Hot Bee is made of attractive lights, sounds, smoke, and a railway kit. This steam engine model includes a passenger coach, a cargo vehicle, a coal car, two straight tracks, and eight curved tracks. Once attached and set up, it is fun to watch the train move along the tracks. It improves a child’s hand-eye coordination and intelligence. Realistic sounds, smoke and cool headlights make this easy-to-assemble toy train a creative and engaging gift for a child. The set is crafted from durable ABS material that is safe and child-friendly.
- Made of non-toxic materials
- Impact-resistant parts
- Includes a detailed instruction manual
- Multiple assembly methods
- Sound may be a bit loud
- Extra tracks may not be available
The super cute train set by CatToysOfficial is a motorized train with a characterized engine, cat carrier, tracks, and free-wheeling construction dump truck. Six unique sounds and attractive lights get activated once the train starts to function. The railroad crossing has buttons to activate various features. The cat train set is ideal for developing a child’s sensory skills, motor skills, interest, concentration, and curiosity. You can create a six-foot-long track from eight easy-to-assemble pieces, and it works on three AA batteries. Here’s a video to help you know more about this product.
- Burr-free edges
- Encourages interactive play
- Bright colors stimulate color recognition
- Improves thinking skills
- Batteries may exhaust sooner than expected
- May not be break-resistant
The Atlasonix Electric Train toy is a classic-style locomotive steam engine that can impress your little one. The set includes eight rail tracks–six curved and two straight–for building a track measuring up to 30x42in, three train cars, and four model horses. The track pieces feature slots that fit easily and make assembling a breeze.
The bright cars and engines sit precisely on the track, making the whole set-up realistic. Furthermore, the horses and accessories allow children to explore their imagination. The toy set teaches children a little about the history of the Wild West and is safe for children.
- Smooth finish
- Features lights and sound
- Encourages pretend-play
- Suitable for children aged three to eight years
- May not include batteries
- May not have the option to turn off sound
The toy train set from iHaHa includes 14 pieces that make an electric train. It comprises four straight tracks, six curved tracks, two passenger cars, one electric toy train, and one freight car. The tracks are easy to assemble and connect tightly, allowing the train to move smoothly. Realistic sounds excite the child and keep them entertained for hours. A classic retro design and high-quality, non-toxic material and attractive colors make this toy train set a wonderful gift for a child.
- ASTM and CPSIA-certified
- Improves thinking ability
- Light-up LED light
- Fine detailed crafting
- Sound may not be turned off
- May not produce artificial smoke
Lucky Doug brings you a battery-operated train set for toddlers with realistic music and sounds. The 14-piece set includes a locomotive engine train, two cargo cars, one passenger car, and ten track pieces. The tracks form an elliptical shape of 11×51 inches and can be set in an oval or circular shape. Impeccable construction gives the child a wholesome experience. This train set requires hands-on involvement and activates the child’s creativity. The pieces are made of non-toxic, high-quality plastic, allowing a firm assembly that prevents derailment.
- Safe and durable
- As per ASTM and CPSIA standards
- Firm assembly
- Light-up LED lights
- Fine detailing
- Train clips may be slightly flimsy
- Track may be slightly thin
Franklin the Freight train is a favorite among children. This train from the Smart Wheels Roadmaster travels to the given train station, water depot, etc. It comes with a removable cargo car with a detachable basket, movable by a crane. This playset can be placed in multiple combinations, allowing the child to exercise their imagination and creativity. Bendable track pieces and smart point locations come with sounds and phrases. This toy train set is suitable for ages one to five.
- Smooth and textured wheels
- Compatible with all VTech Go Go wheels playset
- Realistic train sound
- Encourages creativity
- Builds motor skills
- May not be compatible with Chug and Go set
- Building may be time consuming
The Battat-Wild Ridge train set is a vintage-style collectible wooden set that comes in a bucket. It includes Bucket’s Mountain landscape lid that connects to the toy rail. The set also consists of a bridge, buildings, trees, traffic signs, and wooden train tracks. Magnets connect each engine and car. However, these tracks can be set up, and you can also flip the double-sided tracks to create alpine scenery. The mountain top lid is designed with rock formations, a river, and snow-capped peaks.
- Tracks can be set up in multiple ways
- No batteries required
- Promotes social skills
- Compatible with the other Battat wooden vehicles
- Some pieces may not lay flat
- Wheels of the train may be slightly flimsy
If you are looking for a dream party railway park for a child, the DeXop Baby toy train set is a perfect choice. The set includes four bright-colored toddler trains, music and lights, three little people figures, two road signs, 12 tracks, and 16 building blocks. All the pieces are free from BPA, lead, and phthalate. They are made of high-quality ABS material without any sharp edges to avoid the risk of swallowing. The child has to press the locomotive to watch it chug along the tracks. This set helps develop a baby’s early learning skills, hand-eye coordination, color recognition, and cognitive processes.
- Produces music and light
- Easy to assembly
- Easy to grab
- Promotes age-appropriate development
- Blocks may not stack well
- Track may be slightly flimsy
Wondertoys offers a train set with various permutation combinations. The 12-piece wooden magnetic train consists of coaches, a cargo car, a convertible coach-hopper car, a tanker car, a magnetic cargo loader, a hopper car, and three engines. They come in a high-quality storage bag that is convenient to carry. It is made of natural, quality wood and 100% non-toxic colors. The construction is sturdy and includes no sharp edges. Safe for children, the lightweight train maintains all safety standards. The strong magnets make longer trains.
- Impact-resistant wooden material
- Promotes manipulative ability
- Stimulates hand-eye coordination
- Enhances fine motor skills
- As per ASTM and CPSIA standards
- Wheels may be slightly thin
- May seem small to some
Baoli toy train set is a classic set for starters. It includes 12 pieces for the tracks and 20 pieces for the train station. It has four pieces of the cargo train car and three figures. The cargo cars can be driven on the tracks or without the tracks. Music, sounds, and lights enhance the child’s creative imagination and experience.
- Improves hands-on ability
- Aids in color recognition
- Encourages the child to crawl
- Easy to grasp
- May work only on battery
- Sound may be slightly louder than expected
How To Choose the Right Train Set?
Keep the below factors in mind while buying a train set for toddlers.
1. Age-appropriate: Train sets are a favorite for all kids, small or big. It is therefore essential to buy an age-appropriate set.
- Toddlers – Wooden trains are designed for toddlers as they are durable, heavy, and safe for a baby.
- Young children – Battery-operated trains are better for young children as the automatic movement with lights and sounds excites them. These are usually made of high-quality ABS plastic and are child-safe.
- Older kids – Prefer electric trains for older kids as they make good bonding time and become a collectible or hobby for some. The trains are made of metal and could be harmful for younger kids.
2. Theme: Pick a toy train that will be in tandem with your child’s latest fancy to add to the excitement. Thomas & Friends, Mickey Mouse, etc., are some themes. There are also other themes, such as construction work, farmland, travel-focused, and sceneries.
3. Floor space: Check your available floor space and on the box to see how big the tracks will spread out. For optimum usage of the toy train, find a train that comes with a table or one that comfortably fits in your living room or children’s room.
4. Set up: Train sets are available with simple circular tracks wherein the child pushes the train along the circle. You may also look for trains with a combination of straight and curved tracks, maybe a bridge or stop signs, a station, etc. Train sets also come with several accessories.
5. Child skills: Train sets can help develop many age-specific skills in a child. For younger children, they may enhance hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and other interests. Slightly older kids may exercise their imagination and creative skills. Pick a set with the child’s maturity level and potential in mind.
Every child loves a toy train. But a train set is more than just a chugging engine. It helps in the child’s development, interest, and concentration. From retro wooden sets to modern electric trains, these are the best train sets for a toddler that you may pick for your child.
Children love toy trains and get all excited to play with them. They can keep your children engaged for hours and get them to stay out of the gadgets. Toy trains also help in the child’s development and improve their concentration and motor skills. Thanks to their visually appealing design and interactive sounds, train sets keep your little ones entertained for long hours. An ideal train set is easy to set up, durable, and child-friendly. So pick the train set considering your child’s age and other factors like floor space and theme.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a toy enthusiast who has used her expertise to curate this list of the best train sets for toddlers in the market. She has researched multiple forums to find the most exciting toy train sets to keep your toddler engaged. From cute character-themed sets to functional electric ones, she has included several varieties you can pick from. The list also includes a buying guide to help you choose the right set for your child.
View Profile ›