Childhood is all about learning life skills and being as active as one can be. And teaching a child to ride a bicycle is an essential part of parenting. So, get the best training wheels and introduce your child to bicycles.
Teaching a child how to ride a bicycle can be challenging, especially when they are learning to balance. The initial phase involves using training wheels to prevent the little ones from falling. Once they learn how to balance, you can remove the wheels.
To help you choose the right set of training wheels, we bring you a long list of great training wheels that are easy to install, sturdy, durable, and compatible with most bicycles. We also give you a buying guide to help you choose the perfect wheels. So, keep scrolling and pick a set to teach your child an important life skill.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Training Wheels Of 2022
Wald Bicycle Training Wheels are designed keeping in mind bicycles that measure between 16 and 20 inches. These plated steel wheels have a 5.5” diameter and are covered with rubber tires. They come in a bright silver color and also include frame adaptors that are compatible with 0.75 and 1-inch rear frame tubes.
- Can be used by riders that weigh up to 100lb.
- Strong and long lasting product
- Easy to install
- High-quality rubber and steel
- Designed only for single-speed bicycles
- May contain less axle threads for some
The Fortop Bicycle Training Wheels are heavy duty and give the right kind of support that your child’s first bike needs. These stability wheels easily fit single speed bikes between 12 to 20 inches, provided the track fork end is horizontal and rearward-facing. If you are worried about your child’s safety during late evening and night-time rides, this training wheel is perfect as it lights up every time the wheel spins!
- Made using metal and rubber
- Silent, stable, and lightweight
- Triangle at 45° supports and protects from accidents
- Bright blue makes the training wheels look attractive and it blends well
- Manual’s instructions may be unclear
- Wheel lights may not last long
Manufactured by Bell, the Spotter Trainer Wheels for Bicycle are a great tool for teaching your kids how to learn to balance. These bicycle training wheels are not meant to touch the ground when installed and when the bike is stationary. Most of the time, these wheels will be 0.5 inch off the ground, as a way of ensuring balance is maintained. The best feature of these wheels is the choice to flip it up when you don’t want to use the support wheels and flip it down when you do want to use them!
- Easy to install
- Sturdy design
- Ideal for bikes between 18 to 20 inches
- Great for first timers
- Rider must weigh less than 50lb
- May not be compatible for some bikes
Sporting a bright pink color, the Moshay Training Wheels work best for bicycles between 14 to 20 inches. All fittings come with the training wheel set and can be installed by simply reading the instructions. The support brackets as well as the height of the wheels can be adjusted on an individual basis, making these training wheels a good choice for growing children.
- Stable wheel size of 13 cms or 5.25”
- Thickness of metal support is 0.3 cm
- Adjustable height
- Easy to install
- Compatible only with single-speed bikes
- May be ineffective for bikes with small axle bolts
Designed to be heavy duty and last for years, the Bnkihdd Bicycle Training Wheels are a great starter pack for your child who is just learning to ride a bike. The training wheels also come with a bell and a wrench, making sure they can be installed by all parents in an effortless way. The wheels are height adjustable which means you can get more use out of your purchase for a long period of time.
- Lightweight training wheels: 700 g
- Anti-skid, wear and tear-resistant
- Made of steel, rubber, and plastic
- Compatible with bicycles of 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 inches
- Wheel diameter: 13cm, width: 3cm
- May be slightly long
- May seem hard to install for some
Ideal for single speed bikes, the Little World Training Wheels are heavy duty and are compatible with track fork ends that are horizontal rearward-facing. These training wheels provide assisted balance to your child. The wheels are height-adjustable and give new riders the sense of confidence they need.
- Suitable for bicycles that are 14, 16, and 18 inches
- Wheel diameters: 5 inch, width: 3 cm or 1.18 inch
- Made of rubber and metal
- Long-lasting and good-quality tyres
- Bracket size: 2.9 x 1.1 x 8.6 inches or 7.5 x 2.9 x 22 cm
- Not suitable for those with semi-horizontal or vertical dropouts
- May be squeaky
The Little World Training Wheels are a stronger version of training wheels made of iron and rubber. The set comes with all the hardware that is required to fasten the wheels onto your child’s bike, making the installation process a fun family activity. If your child weighs under 60lb, these wheels are ideal and will provide the right support that is needed to make riding fear-free.
- Easily adjustable features
- Stable during sudden jerks
- No need to hold the back of the saddle
- Wheel diameter: 5.31 inch
- Bracket size: 3.6 x 1.4 x 8.5 inches or 9 x 3.5 x 21.5 cm
- Only suitable for bikes between 14 and 18 inches
- May be noisy for some
Designed especially for multi-geared bikes, the Childhood Bicycle Training Wheels are suited for bikes that are 18, 20, and 22 inches in size. Even if your child weighs up to 70lb these training wheels will not compromise on the support and balance they are meant to provide. While installing it, ensure that the training wheels are 0.25 inches off the ground, so that the wheels can function accurately.
- Good-quality construction steel and rubber
- Four flat washers and two extended bolts, wheel bolts, sleeves, screws each, and one pair of training wheels
- Anti-shedding rubber tire
- Can bear upto 100lb
- Screws may need to be tightened regularly
- May not work on bikes with gears
These training wheels, measuring 4.73-inch in diameter, are made of high-quality rubber and plastic for durability and optimal performance. They have a universal design that is compatible with 16-inch bicycles. These wheels are lightweight and offer noiseless operation, so your child can ride smoothly. Riders weighing up to 100lb can easily use these training wheels.
- Anti-slip design
- Offers stability
- Available in various colors
- Suitable for single-speed bikes only
- May not light up always
The Huway training wheels have multiple features that most bicycle training wheels should have. The wheel diameter is 4.33 inch. These high-quality rubber, metal, and plastic wheels light up when they are spun, and don’t make any noise when rubbed against the road surface. The height is easily adjustable without much hassle.
- Accommodates riders weighing up to 100lb
- Suitable for bikes between 12 and 20 inches
- Meant for single-speed bikes only
- Screws may be hard to tighten for some
Providing safe support to your child’s bicycle, the Yjia Pair of Bicycle Mute Training Wheels do not compromise on quality and offer long lasting training wheels. The training wheels don’t make a dragging sound and light up when the bike is ridden, which means you can relax during night time rides and watch calmly from a safe distance.
- Compatible with bicycles that are 12 – 20 inches
- Wear- and tear-resistant
- Comprised of sturdy steel and ABS
- Installation may be difficult for some
- May not work efficiently on rough terrains
The Little World Bicycle Training Wheels are suitable for bikes with variable speed, allowing your child to experience advanced learning at a very early age. These wheels are heavy duty and work for uneven terrain as well. All fittings are included with the training wheels, are of high quality metal and rubber, and can carry children weighing under 88lb.
- Suitable for bikes between 18 to 22 inches
- Sturdy wheels with a 5.12-inch or 13 cm diameter each
- Easy to set up
- Solid adjustment capacity
- Bracket size: 21 x 10.5 cm or 8.3 x 4.1 inch
- Not suitable for bikes with full chain covers
- Not applicable for bikes with quick-release rear wheels
The Geminiman Bicycle Training Wheels are heavy duty and are reinforced with good-quality steel, rubber, and plastic. As a parent, the safety of your child is of utmost importance, and these training wheels have the ability to give you peace of mind and comfort knowing your kids are in safe hands, or shall we say, wheels!
- Wheels are anti-skid
- Non-squeaky and noise-free
- Fits bicycles of 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20 inches
- Lightweight training wheels of 700 g
- Wheel diameter: 11.5 cm or 4.53 inch, width: 2.85 cm or 1.12 inch
- Only for single-speed bikes
- Installation may be challenging for some
Here are a few important points to consider when choosing training wheels.
How To Choose Right Training Wheels?
- Right Size: Getting training wheels that fit your cycle size is the most important aspect that should be considered when making this milestone purchase. There is no way that a training wheel that fits a 10 inch bicycle will fit a 22 inch one, unless it actually says so.
- Type of Training Wheels: The style of your bicycle will also denote the type of training wheels you need to get for them. The direction and shape of track fork ends demand training wheels that will only match the specifications. When it comes to training wheels there is no such thing as a close match, It’s either a perfect match or no match at all!
- Age of your child: Children grow up very quickly, and it is natural that they also grow out of things very soon. The same goes for bikes and training wheels. If you have future proofed your child’s bike, and bought one that has an adjustable seat as far as height is concerned, then make sure even the training wheels you purchase can be adjusted in the future to fit the bike and your child’s growing needs.
- Comfort: When choosing and installing training wheels for bicycles, make it a point to place the bike on a flat surface and check that the ground clearance is the same on both sides. When clearance will be equal, your child will feel comfortable as well as safe on the bike, and will not want to end riding lessons abruptly
- Safety: Children start learning how to ride a back very early, sometimes even as toddlers, and if there is one thing a mother should not compromise on, it is the safety of her little one. When choosing bicycle training wheels, make an effort to check how safe and secure the attachment is between the bicycle and training wheel. Even after installation, regular checks are necessary to ensure the bolt on the axle is tightly secured.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our team of dedicated writers and researchers bring you this list of the best training wheels to help your child learn to ride a bicycle safely. We have included those options that support single-speed bicycles and are durable, sturdy, anti-skid, safe, and easy to install. Further, we have included a brief description of each product and highlighted its notable features. We have also considered user reviews to offer you an unbiased opinion.
Training wheels make the process of learning how to ride a bicycle way less scary for children. They help your little one keep balance and save them from falls and accidents when learning how to pedal. And since they serve an important function, they should be sturdy, durable, anti-skid, and wear- and tear-resistant. Moreover, you should find the right size for your child’s bike, ensure it is easy to install, and factor in the maximum load-bearing capacity.