If you plan to go for a long drive with your little one, the best travel beds from trusted brands can come in handy. These beds make sleeping hassle-free for the baby while traveling between different time zones. They are lightweight, compact, easy to use, and do not require any effort to set them up. Some beds are washable, removable, and are easy to maintain. Since buying things for your little one is all about selecting the best one, we have a list of some tried-and-tested options you can consider buying. We also share some tips to help you pick a safe and effective product. Read on.
15 Best Travel Beds For Babies
Weighing less than three pounds and measuring 30 x 11.8 x 21.2 inches, this Munchkin Brica Bassinet allows the baby to sleep peacefully on the water-resistant mattress. Whether you are going on a picnic or an adventurous trip with family or friends, you will find this tried-and-tested bassinet ideal for its safe and snug fit. This video describes how to use this travel bed with a mattress included.
- Lightweight with a convenient carrying handle
- Travel bed with breathable mesh sides
- Safe T-locker system with audible clicks at four points
- Detachable sheet from the mattress for easy cleaning option
- Machine-washable and easy to dry
- Sturdy and durable locking tubular steel frame
- Comprises of polyester, steel, and cotton material
- May not be suitable for sleeping at night
- May be bigger than expected
The portable baby travel bed features a sound and light unit while offering a more open and protective area for your baby to sleep. The infant sleeper can be placed on your bed, too, and two vented wall units separate the baby from the adult bedding. The side panels are easy to reach and give quick access to the baby. Watch this product testing video and learn how to assemble the product.
- Ideal for daytime naps and nighttime sleep
- Compact fold, and lightweight design
- Extra room to pack essentials
- Soft-glow travel crib light at the head of the sleeper
- Waterproof foam mattress with a wraparound sheet
- Easy to wash
- Suitable for infants up to six months, or until they start rolling or pushing out of the bed
- Works with two AA batteries
- Middle part may bend due to softness
- Mesh may not offer optimal visibility
3. Best For Co-Sleeping:Abreeze Baby Bassinet for Bed
The Abreeze portable travel bed measures 18.3 x 13.4 x 3.9 inches, weighs 2.55 pounds, and is likely to help the baby sleep better by providing a hygienic and sound sleep environment. The mommy-approved travel bed could be ideal for co-sleeping, resting, playing, lounging, daytime napping, tummy time, diaper changing, and more.
- Created from breathable, hypoallergenic 100% organic cotton
- Hidden zipper to disassemble covers for washing
- Handle makes carrying it easy while traveling
- Machine-washable after disassembling
- Lightweight crib and easy to pack
- May require additional cushioning to make the baby comfortable
- Sides may have a flimsy finish
Best For Co-Sleeping
|Munchkin Travel Bassinet||Baby Delight Infant Sleeper||Abreeze Baby Bassinet|
|Weight||2.45 pounds||3.2 pounds||3.2 pounds|
|Frame Material||Alloy Steel||-||-|
|Material||Polyester, Steel, Cotton||-||-|
|Dimensions||30"L x 11.75"W x 21.25"H||33.5 x 14 x 8 inches||33.5 x 14 x 8 inches|
|Batteries||-||-||2 AA batteries required|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The DHZJM baby carrier gives you a safe way for co-sleeping, and it is created to offer a soothing and snug environment for your baby anywhere. The safe and effective co-sleeping travel bed for babies is made from 100% polyester, gently hugging the baby, making them feel secure. Its hypoallergenic materials and raised tube and pad design make it a trusted choice of parents.
- Portable and easy to carry
- Additional covers are available to buy separately
- Ideal for tummy time and helps develop motor skills and neck strength
- Hidden zipper to disassemble the coverlet for washing
- 100% cotton and breathable cover
- Convenient carrying handles
- Buckle on the dock for adjusting the size
- Fabric may feel rough against the skin
- Walls of the bed may fall flat upon use
Whether you are going on vacation, a stay over at a friend’s, or on a short trip anywhere else, Lulyboo’s travel bed for babies makes for an ideal companion to go with you. It has a lightweight and modern look and can be easily folded into a handy carry bag. Here’s a video you can watch to know more about the bassinet travel bed.
- Can be used as a co-sleeper, crib, or changing pad station
- Convenient storage pocket for parent’s essentials
- A mix of 100% cotton, polyester, and nylon
- Padded sides with a waterproof bottom section
- Includes an activity bar toys for sensory stimulation
- Removable canopy provides a shaded place for the baby to sleep
- Available in natural, pink dotted, and blue dotted fabrics
- May not have bottom support
- May be difficult to change the cover
The mommy-approved Kidco travel bed for infants can be a suitable solution for going camping or having an outdoor picnic. It weighs 2.45 pounds, features anchor straps, and comes with UV protection that makes it ideal for outdoor use. The lightweight mesh surrounding the bed gives enough air circulation, and a front zipper panel gives easy access to the baby.
- Suitable for children aged from one to three years
- Lightweight crib and folds into a compact size
- Comes fully assembled, and ready to use
- Removable sleeping pad for easy cleaning
- Made of 100% polyester material
- Baby travel bed with storage pockets and carrying case
- Ideal for short and long travel trips
- May wobble if baby crawls to the sides
- May cause some babies to sweat
7. Best For Protection Against Insects:besrey Baby Bassinet 2-In-1 Travel Crib
Designed to work as a travel bed and bedside crib, this two-in-one besrey bassinet also includes a mosquito net, storage bag, cup holder, and side pocket for carrying essentials. It measures 39 x 24 x 42in and weighs around 20.7lb. This travel bed with mosquito net also comes with a one-year warranty.
- Four wheels for easy transportation
- Bassinet can rock up to 10° and is safe for the baby
- Sturdy steel frame can bear up to 4lb
- Can be folded and is easy to carry using the handle
- Thick and soft mattress for comfort
- Large area offers sufficient space for lying down
- Mosquito net and side mesh protects against insects
- Assembly may take more time than expected
- Mattress may be a bit firm for some
Scuddles three-in-one bassinet could be used as a travel bed, diaper bag, and changing pad station. It features five zipper compartments and three elastic pockets to store baby gear. The mom-approved bassinet also has an insulated pocket to keep your baby’s food fresh.
- Comfortable mattress for the baby to sleep well
- Spacious storage to keep your baby’s toys and bottles
- Machine-washable padded mattress that can fit any stroller
- Easy-to-clean travel crib
- Made of high-quality nylon material
- Co-sleeper for baby
- Available in a gender-neutral color
- Durable carrying strap
- Assembly may take more time than expected
- May not have mesh support on the sides for ventilation
9. Best Breathable:Beacon Pet Portable Baby Crib
The Beacon baby travel bed is specially designed to prevent your baby from moving, rolling over, or falling from the crib. It is made of 100% safe and breathable cotton that enables the circulation of air in the neck and the back areas. It is available in beige, blue, or gray colors.
- Suitable for babies up to one year of age
- Can be used for swings, baby car seats, cradles, strollers, and baby gyms
- Allows easy diaper changing
- Co-sleeping option
- Portable baby sleeper that is easy to carry
- Includes a baby pillow
10. Best Travel-Friendly:AUTO LOVER Baby Travel Bed
This small travel bed for babies, up to the age of 18 months, can be used outdoors during backyard picnics, camping, and a trip to the park or the beach. The mosquito net helps in keeping away the insects from the baby. Easy to clean
- Travel bed with easy assembly
- Self-expanding tent than can be popped open and folded back easily
- Lightweight, and compact size
- Protects from wind, sun, insects, and dust
- Two-way zipper for easy and convenient access to the baby
- Weighs 1.95lb and measures 42.5 x 23.6 x 18.1in
11. Best ASTM-Approved:Comfy Bumpy Travel Bassinet for Baby
The Comfy Bumpy baby travel bed is made of a robust steel frame that is sturdy and safe for your baby. It is also approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), making it a safe choice to consider. This safe and effective travel bed with washable covers has stable and rocking modes, so you can set it according to your baby’s preference.
- Breathable mesh walls
- Soft and comfortable mattress
- Simple fold-down design for quick set up
- Can be used as a bedside sleeper and stand-alone crib
- Lightweight, and easy to disassemble and carry
- Includes a hygienic urine pad, washable fitted sheet, and a mosquito net
- May not be suitable for overnight use
- Weight distribution may not be even
12. Best Non-Toxic:SUNBA YOUTH Baby Tent
Made of certified baby-safe material, the Sunba Youth baby travel bed features a zippered curtain and four-sided mesh design. The assembled dimensions are 53 x 35 x 24 in, and folded dimensions are 19.3 x 19.3 in.
- 100% non-toxic and eco-friendly to keep the baby comfortable and safe
- Fully covered silver-coated fabric offers protection from the Sun’s UV rays
- Includes two durable ventilated and wind-resistant tent pegs
- Mosquito net keeps the insects away
- Easy to open and fold
- Elastic metal frame withstands frequent bending
- Weighs 1.4lb
The Delta Children EZ Fold Ultra Compact bassinet is a portable, safety-tested travel bed that is easy to open, lightweight, and folds flat for easy storage. It makes your travel stress-free. The mesh panels at the sides of this compact baby travel bed offer enough air circulation and improve visibility while creating a suitable environment for undisturbed sleep.
- Removable canopy protects the baby from insects
- No assembly needed
- Travel bed with carrying bag for convenience
- Cozy sleep area
- Water-resistant and machine-washable mattress pad
- Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) tested and certified
- Zipper may be noisy
- Legs may not stretch evenly
Your kid can now sleep peacefully even outdoors with the Esafio foldable bed. The outer metal frame design offers the travel bed durability and you can assemble or fold it in five seconds. The side mesh panels on this foldable baby bed for travel provide good aeration to your little one. You can also use the thick cushion pad that comes with this safe and effective product as a diaper changing pad. This pad is waterproof and convenient to use during travel.
- Lightweight and portable design
- Made of breathable and waterproof material
- Three wide side pockets to store baby essentials
- Versatile use
- May not have enough space for the baby to move around
Referred to as the Moses Basket Bassinet, this is known for its reclining design that prevents the baby from nausea after a meal. It could be one of the best toddler travel beds for airplanes. Hypoallergenic bumpers on the mattress pad create a microclimate for the baby and provide ideal support.
- Sturdy and comfortable base supports the baby weight
- Made of machine-washable, soft, and breathable fabric
- Suitable for babies up to 12 months of age
- Cushioned and contoured sides keep the baby safe and secure
- Features a unique 3D dinosaur design
- Easy to fold and unfold, and carry in car or airplane
- Removable mattress for washing
- Convertible baby travel bed can be used as a crib, carrier, diaper-changing station, and playpen
- Handle gives a good hold, waterproof bottom
- Clip-on canopy protects the baby from sunlight
- Lounger may be more shallow than expected
- Solid sides of the lounger may reduce ventilation for the baby
How To Choose The Right Travel Bed For Babies?
Consider the following criteria to buy a travel bed that works for both you and your baby.
- Ease of assembling: Consider a travel bed with a clear, quick, and easy folding mechanism. The last thing you may want when you get back home from travel is not to battle with assembling the unit.
- Portability: The bed should easily fit inside your travel luggage and should weigh a minimum. The smaller the size, the more portable it is. Check if it is foldable and lightweight and can be popped with a carrying case.
- Age: Choose a model that lasts for years and accommodates older kids. Newborn models may be sleek and last for a few months, but larger models may last over the years.
- Construction: Ensure the material is easy to maintain, comfortable, and of high quality. The travel bed must be constructed from sturdy material without any loose or sharp pieces that could harm the child or get stuck in their clothes. It should have a flat and firm mattress without any gaps or holes to keep the infant safe and to prevent SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) (1). Also, check the unit for loose bolts, screws, or any missing parts and fix it instantly (2).
- Price: Set a budget so that you can easily select a proper one. Plan on buying a travel bed according to your travel commitments. If you are a frequent traveler, invest in a worthwhile bed.
Brooke Weiss, a certified pediatric nurse practitioner, says, “The Consumer Product Safety Commission updated the safety standards for infant sleep products in June 2022. When choosing a travel bed for your child, it is important that you purchase a new product, to be sure it follows the updated safety standards, and read the instructions as many travel beds are only approved for safe use for certain ages. Additionally, it is important to follow safe sleep guidelines for your child’s sleep space.”
[ Read : R for Rabbit Lullabies Baby Cradle ]
Why Trust MomJunction?
Understanding and empathizing with the struggle of putting your children to sleep while traveling, we have curated a list of the best travel beds for babies from trusted brands after going through various customer reviews. Not only do they have detailed descriptions, but we’ve also listed their features so that readers can enjoy a hassle-free shopping experience. Besides this, the article also comes complete with a buying guide section that will help guide you towards choosing the best baby travel bed for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are travel beds safe for babies?
A travel bed, bassinet, portable crib, or infant sleeper should be considered safe for babies only if they are safety-tested and meet CPSC standards (1). Ensure that you are not placing toys or objects in the crib or bed.
2. How long do travel beds last?
CPSC standard travel beds last until your baby outgrows the bed. Therefore, when buying a travel bed, ensure that you check if it meets these standards.
3. Are travel beds washable?
Travel beds or portable bassinets are not machine washable. However, the mattress or pads provided with the beds may be washable. Some infant sleepers that double as travel beds may also be washable.
4. How can I make my baby sleep in a travel bed while traveling?
Try to follow the same bed routine, respond to your little one while she wakes up as you do in your home, and most preferably, comfort them as traveling can be new to them.
5. What accessories do I need with a baby travel bed?
You should not include any other accessories inside the travel bed as it may be hazardous for your little one. However, you can carry certain accessories, such as soothers, to calm them.
6. Is a travel bed easy to carry?
Yes, travel beds are easy to carry as most of these beds come with foldable options. Some beds also come with a carrying handle for portability.
When you travel long-distance with your precious one, you want to do everything to keep them comfortable. Baby travel beds for long drives are designed to make it convenient for your baby to sleep in the car. When buying one, make sure that it is washable and easy to maintain so that your baby rests in a clean and hygienic bed. The bed material should be breathable and soft against your baby’s gentle skin. Further, invest in a baby travel bed that is lightweight, compact, portable, and easy to set up.
Infographic: How To Use A Baby Travel Bed Properly?
Baby travel beds are portable and lightweight accessories that provide a safe and comfortable lying space for infants while on the go. However, they need to be used correctly to prevent mishaps, such as strangulation and suffocation, and extend their longevity. Check out the infographic below to grasp the basic guidelines for using baby travel beds properly.
- Safe Sleep
- How to Keep Your Sleeping Baby Safe: AAP Policy Explained