Participating in a triathlon can give you the adrenaline rush. It pushes your limits and tests your boundaries. And one of the most effective ways of winning the race is to keep track of time since every second counts. The best triathlon watches are specifically designed to help you monitor crucial stats such as your race time, recovery time, speed, heart rate, and other important information that affects your performance.
These watches also facilitate smoother transitions between running, cycling, and swimming, making them the perfect companion for your race. If you have a triathlon coming up, make sure to buy a high-quality triathlon watch that’s durable, stylish, and rich in features. Don’t know where to start your search? Check out our roundup of the highly-rated triathlon watches and be better prepared for your race than ever. We also provide you with a buying guide to help you select the right one.
Our Top Picks
7 Best Triathlon Watches In 2022
Truly a game-changer, this smart triathlon training watch has it all. Take your music wherever you go, as you can now sync your Apple Music or Spotify playlist to it. With a built-in, colorful map, you can now see wherever you are going, even on rocky hills or a densely populated city. Equipped with performance monitoring, it can accurately calculate the maximum oxygen consumption rate (VO2 max) and regulate the heat and value. This watch comes with other features like training load focus, recovery time, GPS, and more. It also has other running measures like stride length, ground contact time and balance, vertical oscillation, etc. For more information about the product, click this video.
- Lens material – Gorilla glass 3 + DX coating
- Display size – 1.2″ (30.4 mm) diameter
- Display resolution – 240 x 240 pixels
- Weight – 1.7 oz / 50 g
- Battery life – Up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, up to 10 hours with GPS and music and 36 hours with GPS mode and without music
- Can store up to 1,000 songs on the device
- Can be connected to Bluetooth headphones
- Bluetooth enabling feature allows you to receive texts, emails and social media updates
- Sends real-time location to emergency contacts
- Garmin Pay option available
- Aerobic and anaerobic training effects available
- Allows you to create own custom workouts or download free ones on the phone
- Does not feature swimming trackers
- Some users noted that the phone and Bluetooth connectivity wasn’t up to mark.
Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been training your whole life, this watch will come in handy either way. It features a sleek body with flexible, hinged bands so you can train all day with your new workout partner. It is enabled with features like running metrics, VO2 max tracking, speed, heart rate, recovery rate and audio cadence alerts. This watch also comes with swimming metrics, like measuring your distance, pace, stroke count, and stroke rate. Just connect it to your phone and receive live updates like texts, emails, and other notifications. With this smartwatch you also get to be part of the Garmin Connect community where you can plan and share your training with others like you. Check this video to learn more about the product.
- Lens material – Chemically strengthened glass
- Display size – 1.1″ x 0.8″
- Display resolution – 205 x 148 pixels
- Weight – 2.1 oz / 61g
- Battery life – Up to 40 hours in UltraTrac mode, up to 24 hours in training mode, and up to 4 months in watch mode
- Live tracking available
- High-resolution color display
- Can track steps, sleep, and calories
- Rest timers for pool tracking
- Includes vertical oscillation, ground contact time, and action camera
- Does not have a wrist based heart rate monitor
The minimalist in you will jump with glee when you take a look at this classically designed fitness tracker from Aiveile. Appreciated for its sleek design, it has an aluminum alloy bezel that is scratch and scuff-resistant. Enabled with high-precision sensors, it monitors your sleep cycle, steps, heart rate, and blood pressure. You can view your health summary with a single click. This multi-sport tracking device allows you to record any data of various sports and activities, including running, swimming, football, basketball, cycling, climbing and walking, and more.
- Lens material – Aluminum alloy
- Display size – 1.3” color screen display
- Display resolution – 240 x 240 screen resolution
- Weight – 2.2 oz. / 62.4 g
- Battery life – Between 7-13 days
- Comes with a fitness tracking app
- WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity available
- Touchscreen display
- Notification alerts
- 5 vibration alarm clocks
- Timer feature
- Sedentary remind
- Find iPhone feature
- Touch screen display has limited interface
Made proudly in the United States, this one goes down in the book of the best triathlon watches. The best partner for the mighty race, it can record metrics precisely for swimming, cycling, and running. It boasts an impressive battery life of 30 days and has GPS, GLONASS, and BDS working simultaneously to ensure that your location is tracked accurately. Take a look at this video to get more information on the product.
- Lens material – Aluminosilicate glass
- Display size – 1.2”
- Display resolution – 240 x 240 pixels
- Weight – 1.6 oz. / 48 g
- Battery life – Up to 25 hours in full GPS mode and up to 30 days for regular use
- Records heart rate, post-training statistics, calorie count, and intensity minutes
- Accurate elevation readings for cyclists
- Available in 3 different strap colors
- Automatically adjusts altitude
- Sync data to phone feature available
- The screen may be prone to cracks
- Hate rate may not be accurate
If you thought that a sports watch couldn’t get any better, you have to look at this one. Regardless of what sport or activity you are engaged in, this watch provides advanced statistics for over 80 sports and multisport events. Keeping durability in mind, this triathlon watch comes with a silicone strap, a digital touchscreen display, a glass fiber bolted shut with polyamide, and the entire watch is waterproof.
- Lens material – Sapphire crystal
- Display size – 1.97 inches
- Display resolution – 320 x 300 pixels
- Weight – 2.86 oz / 81 g
- Battery life – 25 hours to up to 120 hours of recording time with GPS tracking on
- Suunto app available for training analysis and support
- Connects to smartphone to receive texts, calls, and notifications
- Comes with GPS and motion sensor data
- Tracks sports activity, daily activity, and sleep
- Water resistant up to 100 meters
- Some may find it bulky.
Cycle, run, and swim with a reliable and accurate multisport watch by your side. This professional watch has features like prime sensor fusion technology, recovery rate, heart rate monitor, phone notifications, integrated GPS and barometer, and touch display. It works well underwater with accurate swim metrics like heart rate check, swimming styles, distance, swimming pace, strokes, and more.
- Lens material – Gorilla glass lens
- Display size – 1.2”
- Display resolution – 240 x 240 pixels
- Weight – 2 oz. / 59 g
- Battery life – 40 hours in training mode and up to 7 days in watch mode with continuous heart rate tracking
- Measures running power from the wrist
- Route guidance available
- Monitors sleep cycle
- Can be connected to smartphone
- Some users noted that the Bluetooth connection wasn’t stable.
Running, biking, hiking, or sailing, you now have a companion to do it all. This watch comes with useful functions such as 3 navigation modes, a heart rate monitor, an altimeter, a workout mode, 5 alarms, a calendar, a digital compass, a lap time tracker, and a countdown timer. The best thing about this watch is that it syncs automatically to the satellite’s atomic clock, so you get the accurate time without worrying about changing it yourself.
- Lens material – Mineral glass lens
- Display size – 1.8”
- Display resolution – 256 colors or more
- Weight – 2.1 oz. / 62 g
- Battery life – Up to 12 hours with active GPS
- Body is made with ABS plastic and stainless steel
- Calculates altitude, calories, latitude and longitude
- Can be connected to a computer to sync data
- GPS also available
- USB charger
- No replacement charger
- Display may not be too bright
Now that you know of the 7 best triathlon watches and the different types and features they come with, it’s time to narrow down on the one best suited for you. Take a look at our buying guide for more information to choose the best triathlon watch.
How To Choose The Best Triathlon Watches
Training for a triathlon is no child’s game. It takes hours of practice, and you need a watch that sits comfortably on your wrist. Find one that has flexible silicone straps and a smooth body. Avoid watches that are bulky and heavy, and instead, look out for watches that are lightweight yet firm.
There are no brownie points for guessing this one. One of the most important things to keep in mind while choosing a triathlon watch is judging how durable and long-lasting it is. Ensure that the triathlon watches have a rugged design, with strong tempered glass or a crystal lens. Some are even made with titanium to make it more long-lasting. Another critical feature to look out for is that the watch is waterproof, so you can use it while swimming and track your moments there too.
As we have already established, your triathlon watch spends a great deal on your wrist being active. Hence, you need one that will last you as long as your practice sessions do. A triathlon watch’s average battery life is anywhere between 6-8 hours, with features like GPS being turned on. Some even go up to 20-24 hours and longer. Make a choice depending on how long your triathlon race would last.
A good watch can easily transition between the various sports you choose to play. While switching between different sports, you might have little to no time to press buttons, and hence a triathlon watch needs to be able to transition without you pressing too many buttons. Most triathlon watches come with a single button that allows you to move from one sport to the other. Some even come with a triathlon mode that doesn’t require you to press a button to switch between sports.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, a writer and editor, is experienced in reviewing electronic products. He does extensive research to deliver the most popular and reliable products for his readers. After analyzing the comfort, durability, and other crucial features, Wedetso suggests some of the best triathlon watches that could help you keep track of crucial factors like heart rate, speed, race duration, etc. He also guides you in choosing a suitable watch as per your preference.
Apart from helping you make a fashion statement, the best triathlon watches can also help you win races by keeping track of your time, speed, and heart rate when taking part in a triathlon. When you plan to buy this device, ensure it has long battery life and is water-resistant and durable. Further, choose a watch with GPS function, good Bluetooth connectivity, and an easy touch interface that displays crucial data when you are on the track. You may also consider a watch that offers a comfortable fit with its adjustable straps and allows you to transition from one sports mode to another seamlessly.
View Profile ›