The excitement when your baby starts sitting or crawling is great. These essential milestones develop when babies spend time lying on their stomachs during tummy time. Around this time, you can prefer buying the best tummy time toys to enable you to play or interact with the baby.
If you’ve been wondering what toys to get your child in their tummy time phase, worry not; we are here to help you with it. Read on to discover the best tummy time toys to bring home for your fast-growing little one.
13 Best Tummy Time Toys
1. Best Durable: Magifire Tummy Time Baby Water Mat Infant Toys
You can strengthen your baby’s muscles with a Magifire tummy time baby water mat. It is made of food-grade PVC material, which is safe for your child. Your baby will enjoy tummy time on this mat since they can observe various vibrant illustrations on the inside of the transparent mat. Soft movements on this water bed may strengthen your baby’s muscles. The inflatable mat is simple to store and transport.
- Promotes early development
- Easy to use
- Might have an unpleasant smell
2. Best With Poems And Songs: VTech Tummy Time Discovery Pillow
VTech’s tummy time discovery pillow includes three take-along toys—a mirror, a piano, and a rattle. This is a giraffe-shaped pillow made of high-quality material that is safe for playing. In addition, more than 50 songs, melodies, and poems are featured on the piano. All the toys represent different shapes and animals to keep your baby entertained during tummy time. The pillow’s multiple patterns and colors provide good visual and tactile stimulation to the little one. Check out the detailed review of the product in this video.
- Stimulates motor skills
- Provides auditory stimulation
- Parent-friendly features
- Might not be durable
3. Best Leak-Proof: Splashin’kids Beginner Crawl Along Game Ball
Encourage healthy development in your child by using this one-of-a-kind Splashin’kids crawl-along game ball. It is made of heavy-duty PVC and has been thoroughly tested for durability. This jumbo roller encourages crawling in infants. In addition, it develops their sense of following sounds when the rattles in the roller make different sounds. The eye-catching animal graphics will grab the attention of the child. It comes with two rattle balls and a LED light ball that shines in tandem with the rolling drum.
- High-quality materials
- Stimulates baby development
- Enhances motor skills
- Might have a strong chemical smell
4. Best Travel-Friendly: Playskool Elephant Stuffed Tummy Time Toy
This cuddly elephant stuffed toy from Playskool will make your infant’s tummy time more enjoyable. This cuddly elephant will keep your child entertained with its fun activities. This foldable on-the-go toy has incredible features. For example, you can play with the rattle, turn the clicker, and press the squeaker to exercise the baby’s sensory skills. Watch this video of the product for more information.
- Engaging activities
- Easy storage
- Easy tumble dry
- Might be small in size
5. Best With Piano: Fisher-Price Mini Musicians Piano Wedge
This Fisher-Price mini musician piano wedge, complete with engaging toys, will make tummy time more enjoyable for your baby. It includes a detachable piano, a musical teething toy, and a tambourine clacker toy. The soft piano has three settings that allow you to choose between ten minutes of animal sounds, piano notes, and short tunes. In addition, slightly older children can use the detachable piano to play separately.
- Easily removable toys
- Plays engaging music
- Size might be smaller than in the picture
6. Best For Physical Development: Early Learning Centre Blossom Farm Tummy Time Roller
The Early Learning Centre blossom farm tummy time roller is a cylindrical-shaped pillow with colorful shades. It is made of a soft fabric that is durable and well-stitched. It includes a chime ball, a teether with a mirror, and farm animals to encourage exploration skills.
- Excellent for physical development
- Enhances hand-eye coordination
- Attached mirror
- Might not be suitable for newborns
7. Best For Visual development: Teytoy Tummy Time Toy
The Teytoy tummy time toy will make traveling with your child more enjoyable. The attached toys are made entirely of food-grade teething silicone. It includes a baby mirror, teethers, and a soft fabric book to improve sensory skills. The detachable crinkle cloth book can be buckled to the mirror. The cloth book has cute patterns, colored pictures, and animal prints in bright colors on both sides of its pages.
- Enhances visual development
- Cute animal prints
- Baby-safe mirror
- Protective film
- Might not be durable
8. Best For Motor Skills: Tiny Love Tummy Time Mobile Entertainer
Tiny Love’s tummy time mobile entertainer is designed to promote babies’ motor development skills. This portable toy has a large detachable clip that allows it to be hung on the baby’s bed, car seat, or stroller. It includes a small peek-a-boo window to promote cognitive development. In addition, it promotes your baby’s hand-eye coordination with various music and light features.
- Promotes motor skills
- Enhances cognition
- Innovative product
- Fun features
- Speaker quality might not be good
9. Best For Concentration: Kuango Tummy Time Mirror Toys For Babies
Kuango’s high contrast activity toy is designed to attract children’s attention. With white and black contrast and eye-catching colors, this toy is ideal for cognitive development. It can be folded in a tent shape, and the baby can enjoy watching the tummy time mirror to promote recognition. It has textured and colorful fabric that is well-sewn in a frill design. The black and white baby toy can be used as a floor toy or in the car.
- Baby-safe mirror
- Promotes brain development
- Encourages concentration
- Smaller in size compared to the picture
10. Best Fun Sounds: Baby Einstein Tinker’s Crawl Tummy-Time Musical Toy
Allow your child to practice crawling with the help of this talking tiger. This round-shaped toy rolls and wobbles, encouraging the baby to follow it. It emits three bright lights to entice the child and help them develop eye-hand coordination. It plays soft music in the background and introduces colors, numbers, and shapes in three languages.
- Fun sounds
- Colorful lights
- Encourages curiosity
- Battery compartment not accessible
11. Best Environment-Friendly: Figetget Baby Caterpillar Toys
This twistable wooden toy can stimulate your infant’s imagination and creativity. The caterpillar-shaped toy has colorful round balls attached to its body, making it easy for the baby’s tiny hands to manipulate it. The bright colors will attract your baby’s attention. In addition, the Figetget caterpillar toy encourages a firm grip.
- Bright and colorful
- Stimulates imagination
- Promotes sensory development
- Environment-friendly packaging
- Maybe a choking hazard
12. Best For Encouraging Crawling: UnihRoly Poly Baby Toys
The UNIH tumbling toy is ideal for developing muscle exercise in babies and a perfect gift for babies aged 0-18 months. It aids in the development of hand-eye coordination and sensory perception. This adorable little toy can shake, spin, roll, and swing and excite the babies. The edgeless surface of the unbreakable toy makes it entirely safe for the child to play with.
- Encourages crawling
- Easy to clean
- The clanky sound may not be soothing to the ears.
13. Best With Multiple Play Modes: Infantino Grow With Me Tummy Time Piano
This is a three-in-one tummy time toy with three play modes from kicking to tummy time to sitting and playing. The toy includes a removable peek-a-boo mirror, a piano with animal sounds printed on it, and 35 sensory-stimulating sounds. The piano is detachable for on-the-go play. It also has a detachable teether and a half-moon-shaped bolster to enjoy tummy time.
- Multiple play modes
- Easily washable
- Fine stitching
- Might have an unpleasant smell
How To Choose The Right Tummy Time Toy?
Here are some factors to consider when buying a tummy time toy.
- Age-appropriate: All the toys have a recommended age listed on them. So choose a toy that indicates the minimum age on the toy.
- Size: Consider the size of the toy you choose. Small children have the habit of putting things in their mouth, so the bigger toy, the better.
- Durability: Check for the durability of the toy before purchasing it. Because the child tends to pull and chew on the toy, it is best to buy toys tested and safe.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is a product writer with expertise in kids’ products and toys. With her knowledge and experience in the subject, she has combed different trusted websites to bring you a list of the best tummy time toys for your little one. You will find a detailed description of each product, including its material, safety, pros, and cons. She has also provided a purchasing guide and answered all your common queries about tummy time toys.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need tummy time toys?
If you have a newborn at home, you might need tummy time toys that encourage the baby to lie on their tummies. Laying in this posture helps reduce the risk of brachycephaly or plagiocephaly head alignment (asymmetrical flattening of the skull) and influences motor development pertaining to crawling, rolling, and supine-prone positioning (1).
2. Are tummy toys safe?
Tummy toys made with food-grade PVC and silicone, BPA-free plastic with smooth and soft edges are generally safe for babies.
3. Are tummy time toys washable?
Most cloth-based toys are generally washable, while plastic-based ones can be easily wipe-cleaned. Since the cleaning mechanism may differ from one toy to another, going through the care instructions provided by the manufacturer can be helpful.
4. How much tummy time does my baby need?
On average, 30 minutes of tummy time—not at a stretch but spread throughout the day—is recommended for infants. Ensure the baby is awake and supervised during this time (2).
5. Is tummy time better on the bed or floor?
Low, flat, safe surfaces are ideal for tummy time. Avoid beds and sofas as they can increase the risk of suffocation. Never leave the baby unattended (3).
Feeding your little one can be one of the most challenging tasks of the day. However, investing in a tummy time toy can help keep them engaged, allowing you to feed your child conveniently. Tummy time toys are made for different age groups. Finding one that’s age-appropriate to ensure the toy interests your child. Settling for a gibber toy is recommended as children generally put their toys in their mouths. When you get a durable toy, it will last longer despite rough use.
- Tummy Time And Infant Health Outcomes: A Systematic Review
- Objective Measurement Of Tummy Time In Infants (0-6 Months): A Validation Study
- Tummy Time: