Thanksgiving can be a happy memory when you have a well-cooked turkey on the dinner table. But to make the dish delectable and fried to perfection, you need more than just a large pot with space for oil and the bird. You would need a turkey fryer that can be used indoors or outdoors.
There are different types of turkey fryers in the market, including those that run on propane and electricity for ease of use. Keep reading this post as we share a list featuring some of the best turkey fryers, their features, and benefit.
Types Of Turkey Fryers
The turkey fryers in the market can be categorized based on their functionality.
- Steel and aluminum stock pot: Cooking a turkey in a steel or aluminum turkey cooker or stockpot mounted on a burner is ideally preferred as a safer option. These are durable and even minimize the chance of fire mishaps.
- Electric fryer: An electric version ensures an optimum temperature is maintained when cooking the turkey. It can be placed on kitchen countertops and has interesting features such as a chef alarm, thermometer, and syringe.
- Oil-free air turkey fryer: Hot air is circulated in an air fryer for fast and even cooking of the bird, thereby ensuring healthy cooking.
- Infrared turkey fryer: It runs on propane and infrared technology and doesn’t require a lot of cooking oil.
Safety Measures For Using A Turkey Fryer
- If you are using a deep fryer for a turkey, ensure it is not overfilled with oil to avoid spills.
- Do not leave the fryer unattended and see there are no pets and children near it.
- The person operating the fryer should use suitable grilling gloves and glasses to protect their eyes and hands.
- The turkey should be defrosted fully and patted dry before it is immersed in the fryer.
- The outdoor turkey deep fryer should be set up in an area with a concrete floor and is not near any trees or the roof overhang.
- Install the turkey fryer on a leveled surface and keep the propane tank at least a couple of feet away from the burner.
- Use oil with a high smoke point. If it starts overheating, switch the fryer off.
- Once the oil is heated to the right temperature, shut off the deep fryer, and put the turkey into it.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher nearby to handle any grease fires that might happen.
Benefits Of Using A Turkey Fryer
Wondering why you need a turkey fryer? Read on to know about the major benefits it offers.
- Reduces cooking time: Preparing and cooking meals can be stressful and time-consuming, especially during holidays when you expect more guests. A turkey fryer cuts down the time from hours to minutes.
- Frees up the oven: When you have a turkey fryer to cook a delicious meal, you can use your oven for baking pies and casseroles.
- Retains moisture: Cooking the bird in an oven could make it dry. But in a turkey fryer, the moisture is retained to make your dish tender and flavorful.
- Prepares different food: Turkey fryers can also be used as stockpots to make soup and deep fry funnel cakes, chicken wings, and potato fries. They are handy when cooking for large parties.
11 Best Turkey Fryers
With this durable electric turkey fryer, you can cook a bird that weighs up to 14lb. It has a unique design with a porcelain-coated pot that fries it to perfection and keeps the vicinity safe. The fryer heats up to 375°F and perfectly cooks a pound of turkey in less than an hour. It is versatile and can be used for steaming lobster and other seafood too.
- Made of stainless steel
- Prepares food in 30 minutes
- Fry basket and drain clip included
- Uses less oil than similar fryers
- Thermostat to control the temperature
- Sturdy chrome-plated cooking basket
- May take time to heat up
The Char-Broil fryer works on propane burners and cooks a pound of turkey in ten minutes. It has two easy-to-use control knobs and can fit a turkey weighing up to 16lb. You don’t require oil when using this air fryer, which cuts down the risk of oil overflow or accidents. It can also be used to fry chicken, tenderloin cuts, and even roast beef.
- Drip tray and thermometer
- Heat-resistant handles
- Basket and removal tool included
- Made of durable steel
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Cooking guide included
- May not cook evenly
- May take too long to warm up
If you are looking for deep turkey fryers with traditional features, then the King Kooker fryer fits your needs. It can fry or cook a bird weighing 20lb effortlessly, both indoors and outdoors, at your convenience. The kit includes a cast iron burner, a turkey rack, and a hook for lifting the ingredients, along with an 11-quart capacity frying pan and a basket suitable for frying fish fillets.
- Heavy-duty cooker
- Adjustable regulator and thermometer
- Battery-powered timer
- Can be used as a steamer
- May start to leak after some use
Bring home this easy-to-use deep turkey fryer and shorten the cooking time when preparing a feast for a large gathering. It can cook a bird weighing 18lb conveniently in about 45 minutes. The durable steel turkey fryer with sturdy handles has a total capacity of 32 quarts. You also get a 12-inch meat thermometer to fry the food at optimum temperature and an injector to season the ingredients.
- Versatile and long-lasting
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Steamer and vented lid included
- Suitable indoors and outdoors
- May start to leak from the bottom
The Butterball turkey air fryer is a superior option and can fit birds weighing up to 18 pounds. This electronic fryer has a 1,650-watt system that heats up quickly and cooks your meal in a few minutes. It has double walls to seal the heat around the turkey for even cooking. You won’t have to use large amounts of oil, and any excess oil drips down automatically, thereby providing you a healthy meal.
- Durable and versatile
- In-built wood chip box
- Safe and healthy option
- Ideal for outdoor cooking or camping
- Temperature setting can be tricky
The all-purpose aluminum stockpot with a reliable burner and a 30-quart cooking capacity makes it a durable option to fry a turkey for a large gathering. It can fit a bird weighing up to 18lb on the poultry rack, which can be lifted and placed within the pot using a safety hanger. The set has a 50,000 BTU burner positioned on a 17-inch tall and sturdy tripod stand, making it a useful option when cooking outdoors or camping.
- Secure and stable stand and burner
- Regulator and 12-inch thermometer included
- Auto shut-off hose for safety
- Easy-to-grip side handles
- May not withstand extreme heat
- Lid may be too thin
When looking for an all-in-one kit to fry, steam, and boil food, the Cooper & Co aluminum turkey fryer can be a good choice. You get a 33,000 BTU propane burner, an aluminum frying pan, heat-resistant handles, and a cast-iron stand for safe and secure cooking. It has a basket turkey rack with a lid that can fit a turkey of up to 20lb, suitable for outdoor cooking for a family event.
- All-purpose, heavy-duty kit
- Hanger for turkey and syringe for sauce included
- Thermometer included in the kit
- CSA-certified regulator and tube
- Lid may not fit properly
Cooking a big turkey during Thanksgiving for the family requires a large turkey fryer. This traditional aluminum turkey fryer allows quick deep frying of a bird weighing up to 25 pounds. It has a lid and a rack that can be positioned, lifted and lowered with the hook as per the cooking requirement. You get a syringe for injecting seasoning into the turkey and a 12-inch thermometer for perfect cooking at a set temperature.
- Made of 99% aluminum
- 42-quart stockpot styled fryer
- Leather glove included
- Sturdy and riveted handles
- Vented lid for steam to escape
- May develop pin-sized holes and dents
Your Thanksgiving meal can be flavorful when cooked in the Stark Deluxe aluminum deep fryer. The large heavy-duty pot can fit a turkey weighing up to 16lb and has a poultry rack, positioned as per your cooking requirements. It has a perforated basket for steaming or boiling prawns, lobsters, and vegetables. The kit also includes a gas burner positioned on a sturdy stand, a hose, a regulator, and a syringe for injecting the marinade into the turkey.
- Multipurpose aluminum pot
- Ideal for outdoor cooking with propane
- Thermometer with a long probe
- Bruner stand securely wraps around the pot
- No instruction manual provided
- Some parts may be missing
The Butterball electric fryer is a good option for cooking a large Thanksgiving dinner for family or team members. It has a digital panel for controlling the cooking process, and a 1650-watts power draw makes it a powerful option to cook a bird weighing up to 22lb. The fryer is versatile and can be used to boil vegetables and steam shellfish too.
- Easy-to-remove perforated aluminum basket
- Easy-to-clean pot and other parts
- Digital control panel with timer
- Valve helps drain away oil easily
- Oil does not overflow
- May stop working automatically
The stainless steel turkey fryer kit comprises a large steel pot with a 44-quarts capacity, a BG10 burner, a hose, and a regulator. The pot is made of heavy-duty 20 Gauge steel material and has a vented lid to allow excess steam to escape when cooking. You get a poultry rack to position and lift the turkey conveniently with a hook. The kit also includes a steel injector to add seasoning into the turkey effortlessly.
- 12-inch thermometer
- Can hold up to 25lb
- Durable braided hose
- 14-inch cooking surface and a 12-inch high stand
- Steel pot ideal for sterilizing bottles
- May take longer to heat up
How To Choose The Right Turkey Fryers?
Here are a few features to look for when buying turkey fryers.
- Weight of the bird: Find a turkey fryer that can accommodate 20 to 25lb turkey to cook meals for large gatherings. If you have a small family, a portable fryer can be good enough in the kitchen.
- Material: Stainless steel is a common material used to make a turkey fryer as it reduces the chances of being damaged or developing holes. Even aluminum is good as it is durable and sturdy.
- Maintenance: Even electric fryers can be messy as the oil sticks all over the pot and is difficult to clean. Try to find a fryer that allows easy draining of the oil and has dishwasher-safe parts.
- Indoor or outdoor cooking: When you normally cook a turkey outdoors, you can use a fryer that runs on propane. On the other hand, cooking indoors can be done with an electric fryer.
- Price: You can get an inexpensive turkey fryer if you use it once or twice a year. But for regular use, get a quality one even if it is expensive.
- Requirements: If you prefer cooking in the kitchen or garage, you can use an electric deep fryer as it doesn’t spill oil. Also, it requires less amount of oil for deep frying. However, for outdoor cooking, you can use infrared fryers that operate on propane.
- Others: Look for a turkey fryer kit with a drip tray, wood box, thermometer, and a syringe as these accessories can help you add extra flavor to your dish. Also, find a versatile fryer that can make soup, fry pork tenderloin, and steam lobster.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to use a turkey fryer?
Read the instruction manual when setting up and operating a turkey electric deep fryer or a propane-fueled burner and pot. Do not deviate from the steps outlined by the manufacturer. Most importantly, do not use a fryer that is designed for outdoors inside a home.
2. Are turkey fryers safe?
Premium-quality turkey fryers are safe, provided you follow the instructions when setting it up and using. Missing out a step or improper handling may cause fire and burns. If the fryer is used appropriately, and all safety precautions are taken, the risks associated with its use are reduced, and you can have an enjoyable cooking experience.
3. Can I mix different oils in a turkey fryer?
Yes, you can mix different oils. However, it is recommended that two or more oils with a similar smoke point be used. Also, the temperature must be kept at a safe level to keep the combined oils from smoking and overheating.
Using an electric turkey fryer or a traditional aluminum or stainless steel pot can help you fry a turkey until it is golden brown outside and moist and tender inside. A good quality turkey fryer ensures your Thanksgiving meal is centered on a fried turkey that is tastier than the one cooked in an oven. So, compare all the products and choose the best one for yourself.