As the name suggests, a unicycle is a cycle that has only one wheel. It is commonly used in exercise regimes to improve balancing skills and concentration and strengthen core muscles. So, here we bring you a list of the best unicycles and tell you their pros and cons to help you make an informed choice.
You can use a unicycle for recreation, physical activity, or to teach your child balancing techniques. Unicycles are available in different styles and sizes, and you can choose one based on your height, interest, and expertise.
Jordi Sadurni, a sports scientist and cycling coach, says, “A unicycle is a great tool for developing balance as it involves a lot of core work and is especially excellent for beginners. It can help you transition to bike riding and can be beneficial for mountain biking, where good balance is crucial.” Scroll down to check out the best-selling unicycles you can buy online and read the buying guide to purchase a tried-and-tested product.
Safety Tips For Riding A Unicycle
Unlike bicycles, unicycles do not offer medial balance since there is only one wheel. It is up to the rider to maintain balance, and it is a bit tricky. Here are a few safety tips to follow while riding a unicycle.
- Make sure you wear a helmet while riding.
- Start by holding on to a fence or a wall to balance initially.
- It is safe to practice riding on grass as the fall might cause fewer injuries.
- Do not attempt tricks and stunts without mastering the basics of riding the unicycle.
- Do not use a unicycle to ride up and down a slope of 18°or more.
- Do not ride a unicycle on uneven and slippery surfaces.
10 Best Unicycles
If you are looking for the best beginner unicycle, then try this model from Fun. The balance unicycle is available in small, medium, and large wheel sizes and multiple color options—16in (red), 20in (chrome, red, black, blue, yellow), and 24in (chrome). Take a look at this review video to learn more about this time-tested product.
- Quality Kenda tire and an aluminum rim
- Adjustable seat height
- Smooth pedaling
- Quick-release clamp near the saddle
- Large front handle near the seat to grab while riding
- No English instructions
- Pedals may become loose
"I was impressed with how easy it was to set up this unicycle. Despite the child-sized seat and short crank length, it's pretty comfortable for an adult after some minor adjustments. Once you figure out the correct tire pressure, it offers a steady and amusing ride."
This unicycle has a 16-inch wheel, a maximum weight limit of 110lb, and a height between 45in and 61in to offer a comfortable experience. It is a great unicycle for beginners and comes in color options such as orange, red, chrome, and yellow. Check out this review video to learn more about the unicycle.
- Adjustable seat height
- Skidproof mountain tire
- Leakage proof butyl inner tire
- No need for second inflation up to three months
- Front and back poly-nylon guarded rails for protection if tripped over
- Extra-thick alloy aluminum rim
- The seat may not stay in place
- Quality could be an issue for some
Whether you are a beginner or a professional, this time-tested unicycle from Fantasycart could be a good choice. This retro-style unicycle has a sturdy build and is a great fit for children.
- Easy to assemble
- Anti-skip tires
- Large saddle for extra comfort
- Smooth riding wheel
- Guard rails on the seat
- Pedals tend to strip off
- Quality may not be up to the mark
Fun 20 Inch Wheel Unicycle
Best With Adjustable Seat
AW 16in Wheel Unicycle
Best For Beginners
Fantasycart 16in Unicycle
|Dimensions||25.98 x 20 x 7.01 inches||32 x 3.8 x 8.4 inches||-|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
This stylish unicycle features a strong Chromoly frame and a flatter platform crown. If you are a professional unicyclist, then this could be one of the best-selling options you can consider. The street unicycle comes in three sizes. This video offers a detailed review of the unicycle.
- Double bolt seat post clamp
- Lightweight unicycle with alloy wheel
- Low profile street tread tire
- Deluxe saddle with a nose handle
- Main cap-style bearings for a smooth ride
- Adjustable seat height
- Seat may not be comfortable for older riders
- Paint may chip off
"The design of this unicycle is suitable for varying skill levels, making learning fun and engaging. I faced minor assembly issues as the instructions were slightly unclear, but the construction is durable."
Said to be great for beginners, this touring unicycle is easy to ride and is made with a durable high-tensile steel frame, making it one of the perfect unicycles for your outdoor adventures. Its large wheel is made of lightweight aluminum alloy with corrosion-resistant spokes.
- Quick release for seat adjustment
- Solid and durable steel frame unicycle
- Built-in scuff guards
- Impressive inseam range of 31 to 35in
- Extra padded seat
- Plastic pedals may not be durable
"Navigating the unicycle was a challenge for me initially, but I gradually found my balance. The construction is sturdy, and I love that the saddle has built-in scuff guards and extra padding."
Made with a Hi-Tensile steel frame, this distance unicycle with a compact design comes in six sizes and is said to be perfect for beginners. The body is well-built and durable, making it suitable for exploring the outdoors.
- Long-lasting sealed bearings
- Padded saddle with scuff guards
- Adjustable seat
- Quick-release clamp for on-the-fly saddle adjustments
- Seat may not be comfortable for some
"I've enjoyed learning to ride a unicycle with this beginner-friendly option. Its scuff guards protect the seat despite many falls during my learning curve. Though it came unassembled and without instructions, it was easy to put together."
Raleigh’s unicycle features a strong Carom steel frame, a freestyle platform crown, and precision cap-style bearings. This freestyle unicycle is said to be one of the perfect unicycles for experienced professionals.
- Lightweight and durable chromoly steel frame
- Lightweight aluminum alloy wheel
- Professional unicycle with anti-skid tire
- Comfortable saddle with front handle
- Built-in scuff guard for protection
- Paint may chip off easily
"I'm glad I found this unicycle. Its sealed bearings roll smoothly, and the tire tread and pedals are up to the mark. It has served me well and helped with building up my endurance."
Whether you are a beginner at unicycling or a pro, the field-tested Gorilla’s unicycle with an adjustable seat may be suitable for you. The body is made of materials that are built to last, and the unicycle is available in attractive color options such as yellow and green.
- High-grade bearings
- Easy to assemble
- Adjustable seat with quick-release button
- The seat may not fit properly
Equipped with a Manganese steel frame and Chromoly spindles, this tried-and-trusted commuter mountain unicycle has a maximum weight limit of 110lb. It is great for both experienced riders as well as beginners.
- Sturdy body
- Skidproof mountain tire
- Anti-leak Butyl inner tire
- No second inflation for three months
- Large saddle with nylon guard rails
- Quick-release seat clamp for height adjustment
- Paint may chip off
"This unicycle impressed me, from assembly to performance. It's sturdy, well-made, and easy to pick up for a beginner like me. The seat is comfy, and the wheel movement feels smooth. While practice is necessary, it's a fun-filled learning process! I love that I had the option to choose from various colorful alternatives."
Looking for a unicycle that is best for both beginners and experienced riders? This performance unicycle from ShopOC is just what you need. The body is made of manganese steel. The large wheel is made of an extra-thick aluminum alloy to provide greater stability and durability.
- High-quality nylon pedals
- Chromoly spindles
- Large saddle with a unique design
- Nylon guard rails
- Seat may slip a lot
How To Choose The Right Unicycle?
Here are a few points to keep in mind before purchasing a unicycle for your children.
- Size: Since a unicycle has only one wheel, the rider needs to balance with their feet. So, it is important to buy a unicycle that would suit your child’s height. Before looking out for unicycles, measure your child’s height from the crotch to feet (shoes on), as this will help you determine the size of the unicycle that will suit your child. Here is a rough size guide.
|19.5″ (50cm)||18.5″ (47cm)||24″ (61.5cm)||Up to 5 years|
|23.5″ (60cm)||20″(51cm)||29″(74cm)||5-8 years|
|28″ (71cm)||24″ (61cm)||33″ (84cm)||8-12 years|
|31″ (79cm)||27″ (69cm)||36.6″(93cm)||Adults|
*Shortened minimum length: This is the length of the unicycle if you decide to cut the seat-post short.
- Style: Pick a unicycle that can serve the purpose. Options include a learner unicycle that is best for beginners as it has a comfortable seat and a basic tire. Road unicycles are meant for commuting and come with larger tires to go farther with less pedaling.
- Saddle: Unlike in a traditional cycle, a unicycle’s entire body weight falls on the seat, so make sure you buy a unicycle with a padded seat for a comfortable experience. Also, guard rails will protect your child if they fall off the unicycle.
- Pedals: Plastic pedals work but are not durable if your unicycle hits the ground constantly. Go for metal pedals that are long-lasting and also provide a wider area to rest the foot.
- Frame: The frame of the unicycle should be sturdy to bear the rider’s weight. Generally, a unicycle’s frame is made of steel or aluminum. Steel frames are cheap but heavier than aluminum. Both are less likely to break.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, our in-house writer and reviewer of outdoor products, has conducted extensive research on multiple and trusted online sports forums and considered several user reviews to collate this list of the best unicycles in the market. He has also included some safety tips on riding unicycles and pointers on how to choose the right one. These unicycles, chosen after doing in-depth analysis into their features and durability, will help strengthen your core, improve your balance, and offer a fun way to exercise during your next workout session.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a unicycle?
As the name suggests, a unicycle is a type of cycle with a mono tire or single tire, used primarily to perform acrobats.
2. Is there any health benefit of riding a unicycle?
A unicycle can improve concentration, balance, coordination, and motor skills (2). Overall, unicycling is a form of low-impact exercise.
3. What are the advantages of unicycles over traditional bikes?
Unlike a bicycle, a unicycle can help strengthen the torso — chest, abdomen, back, and pelvis — and trunk stability, especially in older children. It can also enhance the energy distribution between certain body parts (1).
4. What kind of a unicycle should I start with?
There are different categories of unicycles, but initially, it’s better to begin with unicycles with beginner wheels— 16 inches in diameter for kids and 20 inches for adults — as they are easier to control and maneuver.
5. In which position should the pedals be when I want to start riding?
The cranks and pedals of your unicycle should be positioned parallel to the ground. The rears of the wheel and the seat should be in contact with a flat wall (3).
6. What is the right age to start riding a unicycle?
The minimum age to start riding a unicycle is between seven and eight years. The main criteria for qualifying to learn unicycling are the weight limit and height — when standing next to the cycle, its seat should be one to two inches below the belly button.
7. How should I maintain a unicycle?
To maintain your unicycle, ensure the saddle isn’t moving and the seat post clamp isn’t rotating. You should also regulate the tire pressure and tighten loose bearing housings, pedals, and cranks from time to time. Finally, remember to check the disc brakes.
Now that you know all about the best unicycles to improve your balancing skills, it’s time to pick the one that suits your needs. These unicycles will also help strengthen your core and offer a more engaging way to exercise during your next workout session. We have extensively researched multiple online sports forums and user reviews to collate the list of the best unicycles available. Our top recommendations for you are the Fun 20-inch Wheel Unicycle with a high-quality Kenda tire, the professional-grade Raleigh Bikes Unistar SE Unicycle with a lightweight chromoly steel frame, and the user-friendly Sun Bicycles 20-inch Classic Black Unicycle with durable sealed bearings. Follow the safety tips on riding unicycles and choose a quality unicycle for fun and engaging workout sessions.
Infographic: How To Use Unicycles Properly?
The single-wheel design of unicycles offers a thrilling and challenging riding experience for those seeking an adventurous streak in their transportation. Check out the following infographic to grasp the basic guidelines you must follow during your practice session to ensure safety and effective learning.
- The Effect Of Unicycle Riding Course On Trunk Strength And Trunk Stability Functions In Children:
- Why Unicycles?
- Unicycle Basic Instructional Sequence: