Consider the following scenario. If your teenager’s diet is similar to Tina’s, you should consider adding the best multivitamins for teen girls and boys to their diet.
Fourteen-year old Tina comes home from school, heads straight to the refrigerator and takes soda. She then grabs a pack of chips from the kitchen shelf and sits down to watch TV. Her dinner is a tiny piece of chicken with mashed potatoes. She has a slice of cake after dinner. For breakfast, she has a protein bar and nothing else. Lunch is a homemade sandwich, or a burger at the fast food restaurant near the school, with chips (again).
Despite parents’ attempts to provide healthy foods, their teenagers may not necessarily get nutrition from the food they eat. Instead, they get a lot of empty calories. When your teens’ eating habits aren’t giving them the right nourishment, you can rely on the best vitamins for teens that provide the desired amount of nutrients as per the nutritional recommendations to fill the gap.
Best Vitamins For Teenage Growth
Sometimes, your teenager may have to take supplements for specific vitamins to deal with a deficiency that can stunt his or her growth. If you are looking for the best growth and development vitamins for teens, here are a few options.
Note: Choose the supplement based on the particular deficiency your teenager has. Discuss with a doctor before deciding on the supplements.
1. Best Energy-Boosting: Naturelo Whole Food Multivitamin For teens
Naturelo whole food multivitamin is made of vegan and natural ingredients. It contains the right amounts of calcium, vitamins A and C, among others, to provide complete nutrition to teenagers. It is also gluten and soy-free. You may check out the video of this tried-and-tested product to learn more about its complete multivitamin for teens.
- Enhances immune health
- Helps with mood improvement
- Support brain, skin, and eye health
- Aids in physical and emotional development
- Free of coloring agents
- Some may not like the aftertaste
- Pills may be large
2. Best Sublingual: Why Not Natural Methylcobalamin B-12 Dietary Supplement
If you’ve been missing out on your daily vitamin B12 intake, the Why Not Natural dietary supplement can help you take care of that. The 5000mcg sublingual supplement comprises methylcobalamin, a bioactive form of B12, and the organic cherry flavor makes it extremely easy to consume. This multivitamin for teens is sugar-free, keto-friendly, and soy- and alcohol-free.
- Extra-strength formulation
- Gluten- and GMO-free
- USDA-certified organic
- Absorbs quickly
- Comes with a graduated dropper to measure dosage
- May not be easy to open and close
- May have a slightly bitter aftertaste
3. Best Vegan: Ritual Teen Vitamins For Girls
The Ritual Teen Vitamins for Girls contain ten essential nutrients like vitamins A, D3, B12, and omega-3. It is available as a capsule, with each pack carrying 60 dosages worth 30 days of supply and weights 1.76 oz. The ingredients used are traceable, and the capsules are free of gluten, sugar, dairy, nut, soy, and other additives. The capsules are in mint flavor and help boost brain health. It is suitable for teen girls between 13 and 17 years of age.
- Made of sustainably sourced ingredients
- Smart capsule for better solubility
- Non-GMO project-verified
- Third party-tested
- Some may find it difficult to swallow
- Can lead to burping
4. Best For Calcium Absorption: Nature Made Calcium 500mg + Vitamin D Tabs
Your teenager needs enough calcium for developing healthy bones and teeth. The tried-and-tested Nature Made Calcium 500mg + Vitamin D supplement contains calcium and vitamin D and is free of allergens or artificial ingredients. The inclusion of vitamin D in this tablet enhances the amount of calcium absorption in the body.
- US Pharmacopeia-verified
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Contains natural plant ingredients
- No added colors
- Artificial preservatives-free
- Some may not like the flavor
- Pills may be large
5. Best For Vitamin D Deficiency: aSquared Nutrition Maximum Strength Vitamin D-3 & K-2 Supplement
Maximum Strength Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement by aSquared Nutrition helps in maintaining the optimum amount of vitamins D and K in your body. Vitamin D promotes bone strength, while K2 is essential for preventing blood clotting. These teen vitamin D supplements are made of ingredients known for their purity and ensure maximum absorption of the vitamins. The tablets are a great option for promoting cognitive functioning, brain health, bone health, and cardiovascular health. They also help in strengthening the immune system.
- Meets recommended value for K2 for teens
- Delicious cherry flavor
- Non-GMO formula
- Addresses vitamin D deficiency
- Some may not like the sweet taste
- Contains soy
Best Multivitamins For Teen Girls And Boys
If you are looking for complete multivitamins that can aid in your teen’s physical development, here is a list of the best multivitamins for teenagers.
6. Best Chewable Fruit-Flavored: GNC Milestones Teen Multivitamin For Girls 12 To 17
The GNC Milestones Teen Multivitamin for Girls aged 12 to 17 aids in the development of healthy skin and boosts bone health and immunity. These complete multivitamins for teens have extracts of fruits such as apple, blueberries, and cranberries, which leave a little after-taste. The GNC multivitamin for female teenagers also gives your teen 5mg of collagen per serving, along with lutein, silica, and zeaxanthin for skin care.
- Distinct fruit flavor
- Free of artificial flavors
- Improves skin health
- Helps boost the immune system
- Pills may be large
- Some may not like the taste
7. Best For Nutrient Absorption: GNC Milestones Teen Multivitamin For Boys 12 To 17
The GNC Milestones Teen Multivitamin For Boys is a supplement that aids in your son’s overall development through the teenage years. These vitamins for teen boys also have potassium and chloride. Boys lose a lot of nutrients when they work out, play or perform a physical activity, and these multivitamins can restore that lost energy and nutrition. The nutritious teen vitamins help develop muscle, strengthen bones, maintain healthy skin, and boost immunity..
- Supports healthy bones
- Aids in overall energy supply
- Enhances energy production
- Boosts absorption of nutrients
- Lasts up to two months
- Some may not like the taste
- Pills are large
8. Best For Restore Micronutrients: Nature’s Way Alive! Teen Gummy Multivitamin
Nature’s Way Alive! Teen Gummy Multivitamin is specially made for teenage boys and provides 17 nutrients and essential minerals. These multivitamin gummies are sweet, delectable, and tart. These vitamins for teen boys boost immunity, eye health, and heart health. They are gluten-free and dairy-free too. Before buying it, have a look at this video to understand the reviewer’s experience along with the product details.
- Antioxidant support
- Free of gluten
- Contains no gelatin
- May be prone to melting
- May have a chalky consistency
9. Best Gluten-Free Vitamin: Maxi Teen Supreme Dietary Supplement
The Maxi Teen Supreme dietary supplement is a physician-formulated multivitamin for girls. The powerful antioxidants present in the tablets cleanse the impurities in the body. This multivitamin for teens has the added advantage of boosting growth in adolescence. The quality-tested tablet helps with memory function, improves muscle function, and strengthens bones and organs. In addition, these tablets are infused with a digestive enzyme that enhances the absorption of the nutrients in the pill, thereby maximizing its benefits.
- Supports muscle development
- No added flavors and preservatives
- Pills may be large
- May have a lingering taste
10. Best Dairy-Free: Solgar Kangavites Multivitamin & Mineral, Bouncin Berry Flavor
A yummy chewable multivitamin, the Solgar Kangavites Vitamin tablets are available in a sweet berry flavor. These nutritious tablets are suitable for kids as well as teens. A A blend of multivitamins and minerals, the Solgar multivitamin tablets give your teens the recommended DV every day. Like other multivitamins, these are just dietary supplements and are best taken just before or after food. Teenagers can take one tab in the morning with breakfast, and the other in the evening for optimal results.
- Science-backed formulas
- Certified gluten-free
- Also suitable for young children
- Free of preservatives and dairy
- Taste may not be as expected
- May have the strong ingredients smell
The Onnit Total Human Day and Night Vitamin Packs are suitable for consumption by males and females, and each pack comes in a 30-day supply. These unflavored teen health supplements are designed as capsules for consumption and help support the brain, mood, and more. They can be consumed day and night and aim at promoting overall wellness with a boost in endurance and immunity.
- Can improve overall cognitive function
- Helps nourish and recover the body when relaxing
- Gluten-free formulation
- Helps in focus and energy improvement
- May not be suitable for pregnant or nursing women
- Some may experience nausea
The Country Life Daily Total One Maxi-Sorb Multivitamins contain the goodness of various essential minerals and vitamins that are important for your teen’s overall growth. The tried-and-tested multivitamin tablets are made of fresh vegetarian ingredients and are available in an easily chewable form to prevent any risk of accidental choking. However, the iron-free formulation makes the product less suitable for those with iron deficiency.
- Certified gluten- and dairy-free
- Does not contain animal fat
- Comes with special digestive blend for boosting metabolism
- Does not contain any artificial colors or preservatives
- Some may not like the smell
- Has a lingering taste
Specially formulated for teen girls, the One A Day VitaCraves Gummies for girls are chewable multivitamins. These vitamins and minerals are essential for optimal growth of girls during their teen years.
- Rich in Vitamin D for strong bones
- Suitable for fussy teens
- Delicious taste
- Supports immune health
- Offers mood support
- May be slightly hard to chew
- May be prone to melting if not stored safely
One A Day Teen for Him are multivitamin gummies for teen boys. The gummies can help in boosting your teenager’s immune system and in keeping him healthy enough to participate in sports and other activities. These vitamins for teen boys boost bone health.
- Easy to chew and swallow
- Compact bottle
- Free of soy and artificial sweeteners
- Supports bone health and boosts immunity
- Might be prone to melting
- Some may not like the sweet taste
Rainbow Light Active Health Teen Multivitamin is a food-based mineral and vitamin supplement for teens. The high-quality multivitamin tablets promote healthy, clear skin and prevent acne or pimples. Also, teens taking these pills on a regular basis are likely to have stronger immunity and greater bone density. The tablets also include probiotics and enzymes that make them easily soluble in the system.
- Free of dairy
- Safe for teens with lactose intolerance
- Easily digestible
- May contain additives
- Some may not like the smell
The Future Kind Vegan Multivitamins come as a pack of everyday supplements packed into 60 tiny softgels for 30 days. These are vegan vitamin consumables suitable for men and women. The energy-boosting multivitamins for adolescents can help improve your children’s mood, focus, and energy and serve as a rich source of vitamins D3 and B12. Their orange flavor can make daily consumption easy.
- Optimal omega-3 absorption
- Carrageenan-free formulation
- Easy to swallow
- Meets social sustainability standards
- May melt easily
- May not be effective when low on energy
A complete package of vitamins and minerals that your child needs, the SmartyPants Kids Complete Gummy Vitamins are suitable for younger children as well as teenagers. The multivitamin gummies contain vitamins D3, B12, and Omega 3 DHA, in addition to essential vitamins. While D3 promotes bone health, Omega 3 DHA boosts brain health, and B12 supports the brain and enhances focus and memory power.
- Comes in tasty fruit flavors
- Easy to chew
- Promotes nail health
- Helps with focus improvement
- No synthetic flavors
- Has CleanLabel Project Purity award
- May be sugary
- Taste may linger
The GNC Milestones Teen Multivitamin pack is designed as a gummy for easy chewability. These nutritious gummies have natural assorted fruit flavors. The high-quality multivitamins for teens are formulated to primarily aid in the immunity improvement of the body. Each pack contains 120 multivitamin gummies worth up to 60 days of consumption.
- Helps support overall health
- Consumable by all genders
- Offers brain support
- Great supplement for picky eaters
- May not contain iron, making it less suitable for those with iron deficiency
- May need to consult a doctor before consumption
Need more power to keep your teen girl energetic and healthy? The Power Teen tablets for adolescents can help. The high-quality multivitamins come in a tasty wild berry flavor and have more than 20 essential vitamins and minerals for teenagers. The product also contains an exclusive feminine compound made from fenugreek, cranberry, and yam extracts that promote urinary tract and breast health and balance the hormones. The cranberry extracts and probiotics promote healthy, clear complexion as well.
- Does not contain any artificial colors
- Free of gluten and soy
- Helps meet vitamin requirements
- Supports hormone balance
- May have a chalky consistency
- Pills may be a tad big
RiteStart Kids & Teens supplements from 4Life contain over 20 minerals and vitamins that your child needs for optimal health. They help in building a healthy immune system and promote muscle function, joint, bone, and skin health. The tablets also have B complex that is essential for brain health and come in two delicious flavors – sour apple and citrus cream.
- Helps improve vision
- Helps with complexion improvement
- Easy to chew
- Supports overall health
- May not be dairy-free
Maxi Teen Supreme Hers is a nutritional supplement for adolescents formulated to boost the overall health and wellness of teenage girls. Available as a pack of 120 capsules, a single purchase of the supplement lasts 60 days. It can be a great source of all the necessary nutrients that a growing female body may need, like magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, folate, biotin, and many essential vitamins. It is considered a powerhouse of vitamins needed for adolescents.
- Combines the goodness of 32 nutrients
- Packs a powerful dose of antioxidants
- Helps keep stress in check
- Made of all-natural ingredients
- Easy to absorb and digest
- Provides immune support for teenagers
- May lead to food sensitivity
- May be difficult to swallow
How To Choose The Right Essential Multivitamins For Teens?
Here are some things to consider when you choose multivitamins for your teen.
- Ingredients: Check the labels to learn what goes into the products you buy. Even though the capsules or pills are packed with nutrients, they may include substances your child may be allergic to. Look for multivitamins with certified or safety-tested ingredients.
- Portion: Find out the percentage of the daily value a single serving provides to ensure your child gets the proper amount of nutrition. Ensure the dose is suitable for your child’s age and weight.
- Quality standard: Check for the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) symbol, which guarantees the product meets quality standards. Find an equivalent quality mark if you reside in a different country. Consider product reviews and recommendations to ensure it is suitable for your teen.
- Safety: Ensure the tablets do not cause choking and are free of harmful chemicals. They should not have added colors, preservatives, or flavors and should meet your dietary needs. Consult a pediatric nutritionist before choosing a multivitamin.
Essential Vitamins For Teen Girls And Boys
Teens grow faster than younger children. Teenage is a period when growth spurts, and your teenager needs more nutrition than before. In addition to proteins, carbohydrates, and healthy fats, they also need certain essential nutrients that help them get through their adolescence smoothly.
Here is a list of essential vitamins for teenagers for their healthy development.
- Vitamin E and selenium assist in preventing acne inflammation in adolescents.
- Vitamin B6 helps in breaking down the liver hormones, preventing acne, mood swings and sugar cravings in teenagers.
- Vitamin B12 or Riboflavin supports the production of red blood cells in the body. In addition to that, it enables proper nerve cell functioning.
- Vitamin C and D are among the most important vitamins for teenagers which provide bone health. Vitamin C helps in cartilage development and D in attaining maximum bone growth.
- Vitamin A is necessary for healthy growth of the body. It is also essential for optimal vision (eye health) and to build a strong immune system.
Do Teenagers Need Vitamin Supplements?
In an ideal scenario, adolescents get all the nutrients they need from the food they eat. But the fact is that parents cannot control their teens to have a well-balanced diet all the time. Teens tend to eat more fast food than fruits and drink more soda than water. When your teenager is not getting enough nutrition from food, you may have to depend on vitamin supplements for nutrition.
Vitamin Deficiencies In Teens
Teens need vitamins and minerals to grow into healthy and strong adults. Deficiency of even one of these essential minerals and vitamins can lead to several health problems. Replace the empty calories that fries, chips, and sodas give your teens with healthy food.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have considered numerous websites and hundreds of user reviews to curate this list of essential multivitamin supplements for teenagers. We have ensured that these products are safe and meet the necessary criteria. Each item on the list has a detailed description of the nutritional value, ingredients, and factors indicating the need for each of these supplements. You can choose one your child needs based on their requirement and the physician’s advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do vitamins help with puberty?
During the onset of puberty, your child will most likely grow both in height and weight. So they need the right amount of nutrients to grow healthy. Vitamins D, B12, and K, and iron and calcium are needed for proper growth in the coming years (1).
2. What is the one vitamin that every teenager should take?
A teenager should have a well-balanced diet with all the nutrients and vitamins for their growth. However, vitamin D is crucial as it helps in bone formation and maintains calcium levels (2 ).
3. Which vitamins should I not take together?
A combination of vitamin C and B-12; vitamin B9 and B12; vitamin E and K; copper and zinc; green tea and iron should not be consumed. Further, combining dietary supplements that include vitamins with medications may not be safe (3).
4. Which vitamins can I overdose on?
Usually, healthy teens do not need additional supplements if they maintain a well-balanced diet. Consuming more than the recommended amount of vitamins or minerals can lead to health problems (4).
5. What vitamins cause weight gain?
Certain vitamins, such as vitamin B, promote weight gain. High consumption of the vitamin may also result in obesity (5).
6. Can teens take vitamins meant for adults?
Yes, they can. However, teenagers should consume vitamins in the correct dosage and after consulting a certified physician or healthcare professional.
7. Is vitamin C good for teenage skin?
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and prevents skin damage. It enhances complexion, makes the skin firm, and fades wrinkles. While teens don’t have wrinkles, it can help achieve healthy-looking skin.
Teenage is a time when the body undergoes significant physiological and biological changes. Using the best multivitamins for your teen ensures they’re getting all the nutrients to supplement this growth. Multivitamins can help take care of vitamin deficiencies and offer other benefits. For example, the Naturelo Whole Food Multivitamin for Teens boosts energy levels, The Ritual Teen Vitamins For Girls enhances immunity, and the Why Not Natural Methylcobalamin B-12 Dietary Supplement supports overall development. However, multivitamins should be strictly used as per the prescribed dosage. When choosing a multivitamin for your child, you should consult a physician first and look for a supplement free from ingredients your child is allergic to.
Infographic: Facts To Know About Vitamins And Tips To Take Them For Teens
Vitamins are essential nutrients that our bodies need to function properly. And for teens, it is necessary to ensure they get enough of the right vitamins to support their growing bodies and minds. Explore some important facts about vitamin requirements for teens and tips to include them in their diet effectively.
- NUTRITION THROUGH THE LIFECYCLE – PUBERTY – ADOLESCENCE
- Pros and Cons of Teens Being on a Vitamin Regime
- Mixing Medications and Dietary Supplements Can Endanger Your Health
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Excess vitamin intake: An unrecognized risk factor for obesity
- Calcium and Vitamin D
- Best Prenatal Vitamins
- Best Protein Powders For Teens
- Best Perfumes For Teens
- Best Sources Of Iron Rich Foods For Teens