What was once the realm of science fiction, has entered our lives and homes in the form of VR headsets. VR is a simulated environment created by software that allows users to experience and interact with the 3D world. VR headsets have become popular, and many toy companies are developing designs to suit children of older age groups. VR can be entertaining and educational – kids can play games, watch movies, and study with the help of various apps.
While it’s not advisable to let your child use a VR headset for hours, in moderation, it is considered to be safe. However, a parent should be present when a child is using a VR headset. With MomJunction’s list of the 11 best VR headsets for kids, let your child immerse in the world of virtual reality!
11 Best VR Headsets For Kids
Let your child travel around the world and learn everything firsthand with this award-winning Merge VR Headset. Made of soft, flexible, and durable foam, this headset is comfortable for kids to use at home and in classrooms. It is compatible with both Android and iOS smartphones.
- Includes adjustable lens
- Easy to use top buttons
- Easy to wipe and clean
- Suitable for tweens and older kids
- Comes with a head strap for support
- Compatible with Google expeditions, National Geographic, NASA and more apps
- Features camera access for augmented reality experiences
- May not be ideal for people with glasses
- May not work with all phone sizes
Heromask is one of the best VR headsets for kids that combines educational games with virtual reality to help children gain mathematical knowledge. Recommended for children between 5 and 12 years of age, it helps them learn multiplication tables, subtraction, addition, division, and many more skills.
- Works with iPhone (from version 4) and Android smartphones
- Has interpupillary adjustment option
- Suitable for kids and adults
- Award-winning headset
- Built-in mechanical button
- Includes a strap at the top for better support
- May not be compatible with all Android phones
From watching 3D YouTube videos to playing fun games, this VR headset allows your child to discover a whole new world. It provides a seamless experience with 360° field of view and supports HD, 3D, 1080p, 4K screen resolutions.
- Compatible with Android and iOS operating systems
- Includes adjustable head straps
- Ability to match focal distance and unilateral myopic alignment to reduce distortion
- Consists more and than 300 games
- Works with mobile devices with 4 – 6.2-inch screens
- Extra-large lenses
- May not fit smartphones with more than 6.2 inches screen size
Take your child’s gaming experience to a whole new level with this VR headset that is specially designed for the Nintendo Switch gaming console. Made of EVA and Oxford materials, it is lightweight, durable, and is safe for kids to play games that include VR functionality.
- Features large HD lenses
- Can be used by people who wear prescription glasses
- Helps you watch YouTube videos in 3D
- Heat dissipation mechanism
- Adjustable strap
- Can also be used with joy-cons when playing video games
- The non-adjustable lenses may be too close to the eyes
Comfortable and durable design with an eyesight protection system and adjustable head strap, this is one of the best VR headsets for kids. It works with smartphones that have a 4 to 6.3 inch screen and gyro sensor.
- Provides a 360° visual experience
- Adjustable lenses offer a wider viewing angle
- Features a soft nose piece that reduces pressure
- Compatible with drones
- Works with some Google cardboard apps
- You get a list of free downloadable VR games and experiences
- May not be compatible with all smartphones
Made using ABS plastic, this compact and lightweight pink VR headset is an excellent choice for kids as it offers a comfortable experience during prolonged usage. It features a high-grade, oversized and ultra-thin optical resin lens to provide a wide-angle view, which means it can be used for a long duration without causing eye fatigue and dizziness.
- Adjustable HD lens offers maximum clarity
- The glass is made using anti-reflective material to reduce glares
- Features a sturdy clip and natural rubber pad to secure your phone safely
- Includes a super-soft cushion padding around the eyes
- Compatible with first-person view (FPV) drones
- Provides ventilation to reduce heat from the phone
- Works with most smartphones
- May not be durable
Transform your smartphone into a gaming device for your kids! This VR headset is compatible with all 5 to 6.5-inch screen smartphones enabled with a gyroscope. It features a double lens that allows the viewers to adjust it in all 4 directions and for each eye separately for better focus.
- The goggles offer maximum degree field of view
- Includes a soft face cushion made of leather
- Comes with an elastic head strap
- Feature a semi-transparent lid for camera
- Provides good airflow to prevent overheating of the device
- The set includes stickers
- May not be ideal for people who wear corrective glasses
- May not come with a control button
Watching movies or playing video games in your own virtual world is far from boring. VRLab VR Headset features HD optimization and 3D gaming support that provides users with immersive visual experience wherever they turn. It is compatible with smartphones with iOS, Microsoft, and Android operating systems.
- Accommodates 4 to 6.2-inch smartphones
- Provides easy access to phone’s volume buttons
- Comes with sponge padding and adjustable headband
- Includes a tray to place your phone
- The front cover is partially covered to allow airflow
- Features anti-blue ray glass to prevent eye strain
- May not be compatible with prescription glasses
Integrated with Japanese PMMA lenses, this gadget offers a 360° panoramic view with 3D images. With the addition of retractable headphones that deliver high-quality sound, your child will have an immersive virtual reality experience. It is compatible with most iOS and Android smartphones.
- Features heat-dissipating design
- Includes a Bluetooth enabled-controller
- Adjustable pupil and focal distance
- Fits phones with screen sizes ranging from 4.7 to 6 inches
- Removable leather pad around the eye area ensures comfort
- Adjustable headband provides support
- Might be bulky
- The straps may not be sturdy
A VR headset for kids is meant to be safe and comfortable to use. And this gadget by digib is lightweight and includes adjustable T-shape straps, soft, breathable leather padding around the eye area, and a deepened area at the center that does not hurt the nose. Additionally, the lenses feature anti-blue light coating to protect your child’s eyes.
- Compatible with Android smartphones and Apple iPhones
- Fits phones with screen sizes ranging from 4.5 to 6.3 inches
- Offers 780p, 1080p, and 2K screen resolutions
- Possesses a slot to connect headphones
- Heat-dissipation technology
- High-quality HD lenses offer a 360° panoramic view and larger field of view
- Focal length and pupil distance can be adjusted
- May not be long-lasting
- May be heavy
If your little adventurer enjoys watching shows on Discovery Kids, this VR headset will be an ideal gift for them. With these goggles, they will enjoy watching their favorite content such as Shark Week or Everest Forest up-close and at 360° view.
- Works with iOS and Android smartphones
- Gives access to any content on Discovery, YouTube, and other apps
- Adjustable focus for accurate viewing
- The adjustable head strap provides comfort
- Recommended for children 8 years and older
- Easy to use
- May not be compatible to be used with glasses
Using a VR headset will take your kids to a whole new universe. But before you buy one for your child, it’s essential to know whether these gadgets are safe for kids to use.
Is It Safe For Kids To Use Virtual Reality?
You must have heard of this famous quote by Ray Bradbury – ‘Too much of anything isn’t good for anyone.’ This holds true for the concept of virtual reality for kids. So to answer the question, yes, virtual reality is safe for kids to use as long as it’s used in moderation. As a parent, it’s your responsibility to ensure everything is safe before your child is introduced to this whole new universe.
Although most virtual reality headsets come with adjustable focal and pupil distance features, and anti-blue light lenses, prolonged exposure could cause eye damage. So make sure your child is not using the gadget for more than 1 hour. It’s important to take at least 10-minute breaks for every hour of usage. Furthermore, please note that the headset your child uses is compatible with their age.
Finding the right VR headset for your child is not challenging anymore with our list of the 11 best VR headsets for kids. Whether your kid wants to have a fun time playing games or learn concepts in a whole new manner, these gadgets will give them an immersive experience. Have you and your kid tried any of these VR headsets? How has your experience been? Share your thoughts and experiences with us. We would love to hear from you!
Frequently Asked Questions
At what age kids can start using VR headset ?
The recommended age is 13 years and above, but it’s not a definite rule. No matter the age, it’s always best to introduce your child to a VR headset when they are old enough to have better impulse control and self-awareness.