A ski watch may not seem like the most important thing to get, but it does make skiing a lot less challenging and safer. So, we have made a list of the best watches for skiing to help you choose the right one. Standardized ski watches can help make your skiing experience better, even during tough outside weather conditions. With cutting-edge features that help you calculate gradients and slopes while also tracking distance and elevation gains, these watches provide you optimal precision while skiing. The reason why most skiers prefer skiing watches is that they are more efficient than regular watches.
With skiing watches, passionate snowboard skiers can say goodbye to those days when they had to take their phones and GPS devices out of their bags or pockets when they wanted to navigate. So, explore the numerous high-performance and best-selling options on this list to choose the right watch for yourself.
9 Best Watches For Skiing And Snowboarding
This watch from Suunto gives you the weather forecast right before a storm starts. The compass with which it is equipped, helps you navigate slopes well and good spots where you can set up overnight camps. It is the perfect sports watch for winter activities, as it is waterproof up to 100 feet, has a backlight option, a low battery warning option, an alarm snooze, and a temperature range of – 5 to 140° F. It is made with a mineral crystal glass material and comes with a user rechargeable battery and a multilingual menu that allows for communication in English, French, German, and Spanish. You can also check out this product testing video by a reviewer to learn more about this outdoor adventure-friendly watch equipped with exciting features.
- Sturdy, tough, outdoor activity-friendly
- Comes with compass function
- Stylish design
- Strong battery life of 12 months
- Electro luminescent backlight
- The unique design may make it difficult to find specific replacements when the strap buttons become faulty.
Made especially for golfers, this watch does it all and is a must-have skiing accessory. This watch from the trusted brand Garmin gives you all the information you need to take in all at once with a 1.2-inch sunlight color touchscreen. With its 10-day battery life in watch mode, you are assured of maximum use while skiing. You can also sync it to your phone to ensure that all the activities on your phone are always on display on the watch. This way you need not worry about dipping your hand into your pockets every time you need to check a notification. The GPS that it comes with can also help you find your location. Finally, it has a 0.8-inch band that contributes in making it light. If you need more convincing about this outdoor activity-friendly watch, feel free to take a look at this YouTuber’s product testing video.
- Suitable for either gender
- Silicone band
- 40,000 preloaded courses
- May not give accurate data of fields and yards.
Made for every snowboard skier, this expertly crafted watch packs quite the punch and you need not worry about its durability as it features a strong and resistant PD-stainless steel bezel and buttons and a silicone band. This skiing timepiece is also suitable for use in bright sunlight, and the backlight option allows you to use it in the night or in dark places, giving you access to use the watch at any time while on a skiing adventure. In addition to all these features, it is also water-resistant up to 100 feet and it has a battery life of up to 40 hours in UltraTrac battery saver mode, 14 days in Smartwatch mode, and 16 hours in GPS mode. If you want a detailed review about the product, make sure to take a look at this video.
- Top-notch GPS service
- Altimeter and barometer for tracking of accession and descent
- Fitness and heartbeat tracker
- Connect IQ to connect with smartphones
- Durable enough to withstand challenging environment
- Might be heavy for some people
|Suunto Core Military’s Men All Black Sports Watch||Garmin Approach S60 Premium GPS Golf Watch||Garmin Fenix 3 GPS Watch|
|Color||All Black||-||Gray (Black Band)|
|Batteries||1 Lithium Metal batteries required||-||1 CR2 batteries required|
|Dimensions||1.93 x 0.57 x 1.93 inches||1.9 x 1.9 x 0.6 inches||0.6 x 2 x 2 inches.|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
The high-performance watch’s ruggedness is a key feature that ensures that it is available for you, even while you ski under the harshest conditions of up to – 40° C. It has a tough yet sophisticated design made with sweat permeable straps, and vibration damping corners that ensure both comfort and durability. The low-power chip, and new circuit design makes this watch one with an incredibly powerful battery life that assures usage for up to 20 days. The 1.3-inch AMOLED color option display ensures clarity throughout the day. Made with a high-quality Sony GPS chip, you need not worry about positioning with its high-precision GPS and dual-satellite positioning. The watch is water-resistant and also comes with a heart rate monitor.
- Fitness tracker
- Multi-sport tracker
- Good battery life
- Heavier than the average ski watch
This watch from the trusted brand Timex works perfectly as a ski watch as it boasts an impressive battery life to sustain you throughout your skiing adventures with its 20 and 25-day battery life in regular use and continuous GPS use, respectively. If you have underlying health issues, this watch is just right for you. If you don’t, it is also great as it monitors your heart rate and workout metrics. With this best-in-class watch, you need not worry about the display as it offers clear readability even in bright sunlight. Timex further ensures that you are connected to music and you do not miss any notification while you are enjoying skiing.
- 24-hour activity tracker
- Features sleep tracking
- Multiple workout modes
- 20 days battery life
- Extended battery life of 25 days on normal mode
- Silicone strap
- Water-resistant up to 100 feet
- Matte finish
- Compact design
- One has to click the watch several times to return to the home screen.
This snowboarding timepiece is ideal for skiers owing to its feature that enables it to work under low temperatures. It can work up to – 4°F in its highest performance capability, and under – 22°F in the GPS mode. Therefore, it can be a great performance watch for skiing and snowboarding. This watch also helps you navigate tough trails and slopes and this feature can be accessed with its zoom in and zoom out option on the digital knob. The high-performance watch also has an excellent battery life as it provides up to 40 days of regular use–60 hours in the GPS mode and 150 hours in the UltraMax-GPS mode. This watch is built for harsh conditions and you can use it in water as it is water-resistant. It also comes with advanced features like a blood oxygen monitor that will keep you updated on your health issues before and even while on the move.
- Sapphire glass
- 24-hour tracking
- Features sleep tracking
- Altitude may be off when not used in activity mode.
The Fitbit Versa 2 smartwatch lets you access news and weather updates and set alarms and timers via Alexa’s voice control, providing a hands-free experience while skiing and snowboarding. With its advanced features—accelerometer, sleep tracking monitor, heart rate monitor, calorie tracker, breath monitor, oximeter, GPS feature, distance tracker, and stress tracker—you can monitor your health statistics during skiing and snowboarding to plan your activities, keeping your health in mind. This watch from the trusted brand also allows you to receive calls, messages, and notifications from your smartphone applications, allowing you to stay connected to the world while indulging in extreme adventure sports.
- 24/7 heart rate monitoring
- Larger display
- Easy-to-read display resolution
- Touch screen for convenient usage
- Outdoor activity-friendly bright screen
- Compatible with Spotify
- Compact design
- Bluetooth connectivity may be inconsistent
- Battery may drain quickly
Ideal for skiing, this snowboarding gear hits the list of the best ski watches as it specifically helps to calculate and track ski activities. It provides standard stats on average speed, heart rate, slope, track, and distance while skiing. It also provides position-marking with its skiing GPS tracker that also sends out alerts. Added to this smart watch is the barometer and altimeter that help monitor the weather and track slope changes. It supports up to two weeks of use without charging, and even when it needs to be charged, it supports reverse charging that enables you to charge your watch through your phone. Finally, with this high-performance watch, you can also store songs in its 2GB capacity and play them while skiing.
- Can be used for multiple sports and activities other than skiing
- Multiple workout modes
- Can select watch faces
- AMOLED display
- Watch face feature may not be compatible with iOS
This Bluetooth smart watch from Uwinmo is equipped with a sensitive touchscreen that makes controlling it easy while skiing and other winter sports. Its speedometer helps to display the number of steps you take and the distance covered. With a heart rate and blood pressure monitor, Uwinmo ensures you never face a health crisis while skiing. Suitable for Android and iOS, this smartwatch can easily pair with your smartphone to have your phone notifications always on display on the watch to ensure that you never miss anything while on the go, including phone calls and messages from social media platforms.
- Multiple sport modes
- Brightness adjustable screen
- Ideal for outdoor activity use
- Some may find the battery life unimpressive
These are the best available watches for skiing and snowboarding. They offer a whole lot of advantages as highlighted in their features. Now that you know the best ski watches available, you need to know how to choose the best ski watch for your personal use.
How To Choose The Right Watch For Skiing?
Here are a few factors that you may consider to find the right outdoor activity-friendly watch for skiing and snowboarding.
- Sensors: In choosing the best ski watch, you have to consider altitude sensors like the altimeter. This will help to give you constant updates on your movements. The altimeter could even show your current heights on the screen of the watch.
- Waterproof and tough: Skiing involves snow, harsh conditions, and a challenging environment, so look for a waterproof watch. In choosing one, you have to consider if it’s waterproof. Since you’d also be skiing in low temperatures, you have to look out for the ski watch with the best temperature resistance. The ski watch that you intend to get must be sturdy and have a tough design to be able to handle different weather conditions.
- Durability: As with every other gadget, you do not want to use this watch for only a couple of months before it gets faulty. There is no way you’d ski without falling a couple of times. If your ski watch is not durable, it won’t be able to withstand the test of time and the air pressure it gets subjected to. So, you have to look for one that is durable, shock resistant, and has strong protective screens, so that it will be able to withstand the air pressure that comes with skiing.
- GPS: A GPS technology is crucial because it can help you find your way back to the position you started, or back to where you are going. A ski watch with GPS also analyzes speed and distance covered. This will ensure that you never lose your way while on the move.
- Weather forecasts: Your ski watch should be one that provides accurate weather forecasts. Skiing is generally considered a risky sport and you don’t want to be caught out skiing while it’s snowing or while there is a storm as it could be life-threatening. So, getting a ski watch that provides weather updates could one day save your life by preventing you from going out to ski when a potentially dangerous storm is on its way.
- Readability: Look for a watch that features a strain-free and clear display resolution even in bright sunlight and low-light conditions.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have gone through numerous websites, user reviews, and product quality parameters to bring you this list of the best watches as your go-to skiing and snowboarding equipment that fit your search and criteria. The high-performance products listed here are durable, have a long battery life, and come with a GPS tracker and other premium and advanced features. We have provided a detailed description of each product covering all those aspects. cts. The article also includes a buying guide and a FAQ section to assist you in buying the right one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can standard sport watches be used for skiing?
Most professional watches can be used for different sports. Some of the watches on this list are suitable for other professional sports, they also have workout modes. Simply put, sport watches can be used for skiing.
2. Do ski watches last for long given the harsh environment on slopes and rigorous activities?
Most ski watches from reputed brands are manufactured with high-grade titanium alloys and wear-resistant sapphire glass. Plus, they are equipped with water resistance technology, some even guaranteeing 30 meters of swimming without damage. These features make ski watches endurable enough to bear harsh environments witnessed during such adventure sports.
3. Is a ski watch necessary?
If you are into skiing, a ski watch can prove to be a vital accessory for you. They are not only weather-resistant to a large extent but also come with exciting features such as an altimeter, barometer, storm announcer, GPS locator, and heart rate monitor, to provide you with crucial data that could influence your performance. They also feature a compass function for better navigation.
4. Which kind of watch is suitable for expert skiers?
Expert skiers need a watch that is waterproof, sturdy, durable, and equipped with GPS that can survive and perform well in a challenging environment. You may also consider a premium watch that displays vital body and weather stats.
5. Do I require a smartwatch while skiing?
Yes, most ski watches are designed to be a smartwatch as well, which helps you navigate, prevent you from getting lost, plan your track as per the weather, and let you know when to stop to catch a breath.
6. How long do the batteries of ski watches last?
While some ski watches have batteries that last up to 14 days, others could last up to 40 days in regular mode. The battery capacity of ski watches varies as per the brand, model, and mode you use it in.
Investing in a watch for skiing and snowboarding can make these activities safer. Equipped with a host of features, such as altitude sensors, stopwatch, ambient temperature, weather forecaster, and barometer, they give you a good idea about the weather conditions and surroundings to enhance your performance. When looking for a watch for skiing or snowboarding, ensure it is waterproof, sturdy, and of premium quality for long-lasting performance in a challenging environment. We recommend the Suunto Core Military’s Men All Black Sports Watch, which is waterproof up to 100 feet and can withstand a wide temperature range. You may also try the Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch, which constantly monitors your health and has a bright screen.
Infographic: Finding The Right Ski Watch For An Improved Skiing Experience
Unlike regular watches, ski watches have added features that can make your skiing experience safer. Ski watches can also handle extreme temperatures and terrains that a skier has to face. Read through the following infographic to find the right ski watch for your skiing adventures.
- Best Fishing Watches
- Best Women’s Wrist Watches
- Best Watches To Buy For Boys
- Best Watches To Buy For Girls