Come summer and kids spend most of their time in and around pools and water bodies. Besides swimming and wading around the pool, they like to indulge in a variety of water games while they’re at it. One toy that makes water-time more fun in summers is a water gun.
A cool choice for pretend play or just water tag, water guns are available in a variety of sizes and shapes. Picking the right one of good quality is not easy given the plethora of options we have today. Here is MomJunction guide to buying water guns along with a list of 13 best water guns for kids.
13 Best Water Guns For Kids
1. Sumille Octopus Water Blaster
This uniquely-shaped water gun can lead to twice the fun while splashing water.
- The front nozzle of the water gun is shaped like an octopus. The water squirts out through the holes present on the toy octopus’ tentacles.
- Dip the octopus’ head in the water and pull the handle to refill the water gun. Push the handle to squirt out the water.
- The octopus and other parts of the water gun are well-designed to prevent any leakage.
- The water gun is made from durable plastic and does not have any sharp edges. The handle of the water gun is easy to grip too.
- It can hold up to 5.28 ounces (150 ml) of water.
2. Conthfut Water Gun
What is more fun than shooting a stream of water? It is shooting water from three sprinklers at the same time!
- The tip of this water gun has three nozzles, which let out three steams at once, at the press of the trigger.
- It can hold up to 1.2 liters (40.5 ounces) of water, which is quite an impressive storage capacity for toy guns.
- The maximum range of the water gun is 32 feet (9.7 meters).
- It is made from durable, non-toxic polypropylene plastic and has no sharp edges.
3. HITOP Super Soaker Water Gun
The gun has a generous water capacity and offers value for money.
- It can hold a maximum of one liter (36 fluid ounces of water).
- The water gun can shoot water up to an impressive distance of up to 35 feet (10.6 meters).
- It is made from high-quality ABS plastic.
- The gun can be pumped multiple times for a strong stream of water.
- You get two water guns in one pack.
4. Max Liquidator Water Blaster Set
Simple suction-based water blasters that are great for use around the pool.
- The water gun has a foam covering, which makes it float in the water.
- The working action is simple. Dip the tip of the water blast in the water, pull back the handle, and push it to squirt out the water.
- Each water blaster can shoot up to a distance of 30 feet (9.1 meters).
- The toy is lightweight, durable, and comes in an assortment of colors.
- The pack consists of six water blasters, which makes it an ideal water gun for kids playing in groups.
5. NERF Fortnite TS-R Super Soaker Water Blaster Toy
This gun’s design is inspired by a weapon featured in the video game called Fortnite.
- It has a large water reservoir that can hold up to one liter (36 ounces) of water.
- The gun has an opening at the front for filling it up with water easily.
- Pushing the handle back and forth creates adequate pressure to shoot water.
- It features all the details found in the original gun from the Fortnite video game.
6. HD JUNTUNKOR Super Soaker Water Gun
This water gun features a lot of details and moving parts that give it a neat look.
- The gun can hold a maximum of 27 fluid ounces (800 milliliters) of water. The child can also place ice cubes in the water reservoir to shoot ice-cold water.
- The maximum shooting distance of the water gun is 40 feet (12 meters).
- It is made from high-quality ABS material, which is durable and non-toxic.
- The gun does not have sharp edges that could be a potential hazard to the child.
- A pull handle lets you pump the water in before shooting. The pull handle is akin to reloading a toy gun.
7. BABCOO Water Gun For Kids
This water gun is value for money, considering that it costs less and works excellently.
- The pack consists of two guns of different colors. It is a suitable choice for parents planning to purchase guns for siblings.
- The water tank within the gun has a capacity of 32 fluid ounces (946 milliliters).
- Pour water in the gun, pump it, and you are all set to splash water at the press of a trigger.
- The gun can squirt water up to a distance of 30 feet (9.1 meters).
- The gun is made from high-quality ABS plastic, which is durable.
8. Balnore Water Gun Soaker
This lets you have four times the fun of a regular water gun, thanks to its multiple nozzles.
- The tip of this water gun comes with four large nozzles that shoot water all at once when the trigger is pressed.
- The water inlet of the tank is large enough to put ice cubes.
- The water reservoir capacity is 1.2 liters (40.5 ounces).
- The gun can shoot water up to a distance of 32 feet (9.7 meters).
- It is made from thick, high-quality plastic, which is durable.
9. Tuptoel Squirt Gun Water Toy
A compact gun for the kids who want to shoot water quickly.
- This water gun for kids features a pistol-like design and can be operated with one hand.
- There is no ‘pump’ handle to pressurize the water inside. Fill the tank with water and press trigger to start shooting water streams.
- The water gun is made from high-quality, durable, and non-toxic ABS plastic.
- The gun can hold water up to 6.7 fluid ounces (200 milliliters) of water.
- The see-through tank allows the user to see the amount of water inside and refill when necessary.
10. NERF Super Soaker Freezefire Blaster
The gun is easy-to-use and can be filled with ice besides water.
- The cap of the gun opens wide enough to allow the user to place some ice cubes to cool the water in the reservoir.
- The water tank can store up to 23 fluid ounces (680 milliliters) of water.
- There is no trigger to shoot water and sliding the ‘pumping’ handle is all that is needed to squirt water.
- This water gun for kids can shoot to a maximum distance of 38 feet (11.5 meters).
11. NERF Fortnite HC-E Super Soaker Toy Water Blaster
It is a product to consider if you are looking for a compact water gun for kids.
- It is a pistol-style water gun.
- The in-built tank stores 7.4 fluid ounces (218.8 milliliters) of water, which is a good quantity considering the compact shape of the water gun.
- Fill the tank with water, and the gun is ready to shoot at the press of the trigger. No pumping action required before shooting.
- The water gun’s design is based on a gun featured in the video game called Fortnite.
12. NERF Super Soaker Scatterblast Blaster
The nozzle squirts out several streams of water, which makes it an exciting toy to use.
- The nozzle is designed to shoot five streams of water at once. The water just blasts out of it, making it fun to play with this water gun.
- A flip-up sight at the front of the gun makes it easier to aim the gun.
- The maximum range of the water gun is 34 feet (10.3 meters).
- It can hold 22 fluid ounces (650 milliliters) of water.
- It is made of durable and child-safe plastic.
13. Stream Machine QF-2000 Water Launcher Gun
It is ideal for use in swimming pools, where you have water all around and do not require a water reservoir within the gun.
- This water gun works with a suction action. Dip the tip of the gun in the water and pull the handle to draw water into its reservoir.
- Push the handle to squirt the water out with pressure.
- The simple design makes it easy to use. There is no need to ‘pump’ the gun before shooting the water. This water gun could be ideal for young children.
- It is made from high-quality plastic with durable moving parts.
How To Choose Water Guns For Kids?
Keep the following checklist handy when shopping for water guns for kids:
- Design: Water guns can come in myriad shapes and sizes. Pick a design that suits your child’s preference and type of usage. Lightweight and compact water guns could be ideal for young children who may find large water guns bulky.
- Water capacity: The tank capacity of water guns varies. Those with large storage are good when playing on land, while guns that require suctioning can be useful within a pool.
- Durability: It is always good to pick a water gun made from durable plastics. The material should be able to withstand prolonged exposure to water without corroding.
Children can have a lot of fun with water guns, provided they are safe while playing.
Safety Tips While Using Water Guns
The following safety tips help keep playtime with water guns safe:
- Never aim at eyes: Although water is harmless, it can be dangerous when squirted at a high velocity from a water gun. Therefore, tell the kids not to aim the gun at someone’s eyes or face. Arms and torso are better places to aim water guns.
- Wear safety goggles: In addition to being cautious, children should also wear safety goggles while playing with water guns. If they are going to the pool, they can use swimming goggles as well.
Water guns help enhance the fun quotient of water activities. But following safety precautions is important to keep the excitement going and have a good time without hurting anyone. Also, don’t forget to wear water goggles or swimming goggles when playing with water guns.
Which water gun does your child love? Tell us about it in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.