Ask any child what their favorite part of summer is, and chances are they’ll exclaim, “water games!” before you’re done with the question. With the best water guns for kids, you can allow your little one to have fun with water without worrying about any of the risks associated with it.
Water guns play a central role in various water-based games for children. They come in various shapes and sizes, but it’s important to pick a good-quality one if you want the toy to last.
In this post, we bring you a list of the most engaging and durable water guns for children that will make their summers more memorable.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Water Guns For Kids To Buy
1. Best Animal-Themed: Sumille Octopus Water Blaster
This uniquely-shaped water gun can lead to twice the fun while splashing water.
- The front nozzle of the water gun is shaped like an octopus. The water squirts out through the holes present on the toy octopus’ tentacles.
- Dip the octopus’ head in the water and pull the handle to refill the water gun. Push the handle to squirt out the water.
- The octopus and other parts of the water gun are well-designed to prevent any leakage.
- The water gun is made from durable plastic and does not have any sharp edges. The handle of the water gun is easy to grip too.
- It can hold up to 5.28 ounces (150 ml) of water.
2. Best Storage Capacity: Conthfut Water Gun
What is more fun than shooting a stream of water? It is shooting water from three sprinklers at the same time!
- The tip of this water gun has three nozzles, which let out three steams at once, at the press of the trigger.
- It can hold up to 1.2 liters (40.5 ounces) of water, which is quite an impressive storage capacity for toy guns.
- The maximum range of the water gun is 32 feet (9.7 meters).
- It is made from durable, non-toxic polypropylene plastic and has no sharp edges.
3. Best For Shooting Long Water Stream: Hitop Super Soaker Water Gun
The gun has a generous water capacity and offers value for money. It can hold a maximum of one liter (36 fluid ounces of water), which is ideal for kids.
- Can shoot water up to an impressive distance of up to 35 feet (10.6 meters)
- Made from high-quality ABS plastic
- Can be pumped multiple times for a strong stream of water
- Two water guns in one pack
- Stream might not be powerful enough
- Might leak occasionally
4. Best Suction-Based: Max Liquidator Water Blaster Set
The simple suction-based water blasters are great for use around the pool. The working action is simple – dip the tip of the water blast in the water, pull back the handle, and push it to squirt out the water.
- Has a foam covering that makes it float in the water
- Each water blaster can shoot up to a distance of 30 feet (9.1 meters)
- Lightweight and durable
- Comes in an assortment of colors
- Consists of six water blasters, making it an ideal water gun for kids playing in group
- Might be smaller than expected
- Ink marking may come off in the water
5. Best Fortnite-Themed: NERF Fortnite TS-R Super Soaker Water Blaster Toy
The gun’s design is inspired by a weapon featured in the video game called Fortnite. Here’s a video that talks about the features of the toys.
- Has a large water reservoir that can hold up to one liter (36 ounces) of water
- Features an opening at the front for filling it up with water easily
- Pushing the handle back and forth creates adequate pressure to shoot water
- Features all the details found in the original gun from the Fortnite video game
- Some might not find the stream strong
- Might leak
6. Best For Cold Water: HD JUNTUNKOR Super Soaker Water Gun
This water gun features a lot of details and moving parts that give it a neat look.
- The gun can hold a maximum of 27 fluid ounces (800 milliliters) of water. The child can also place ice cubes in the water reservoir to shoot ice-cold water.
- The maximum shooting distance of the water gun is 40 feet (12 meters).
- It is made from high-quality ABS material, which is durable and non-toxic.
- The gun does not have sharp edges that could be a potential hazard to the child.
- A pull handle lets you pump the water in before shooting. The pull handle is akin to reloading a toy gun.
7. Best For Siblings: BABCOO Water Gun For Kids
This water gun is value for money, considering that it costs less and works excellently.
- The pack consists of two guns of different colors. It is a suitable choice for parents planning to purchase guns for siblings.
- The water tank within the gun has a capacity of 32 fluid ounces (946 milliliters).
- Pour water in the gun, pump it, and you are all set to splash water at the press of a trigger.
- The gun can squirt water up to a distance of 30 feet (9.1 meters).
- The gun is made from high-quality ABS plastic, which is durable.
8. Best With Multiple Nozzles: Balnore Water Gun Soaker
The toy lets you have four times the fun of a regular water gun, thanks to its multiple nozzles. The tip comes with four large nozzles that shoot water all at once when the trigger is pressed.
- Water inlet of the tank is large enough to put ice cubes
- Reservoir capacity is 1.2 liters (40.5 ounces)
- Can shoot water up to a distance of 32 feet (9.7 meters)
- Made from thick, high-quality plastic, which is durable
- Might leak slightly while in use
- Might be difficult to fill
9. Best Pistol Design: Tuptoel Squirt Gun Water Toy
A compact gun for the kids who want to shoot water quickly.
- This water gun for kids features a pistol-like design and can be operated with one hand.
- There is no ‘pump’ handle to pressurize the water inside. Fill the tank with water and press trigger to start shooting water streams.
- The water gun is made from high-quality, durable, and non-toxic ABS plastic.
- The gun can hold water up to 6.7 fluid ounces (200 milliliters) of water.
- The see-through tank allows the user to see the amount of water inside and refill when necessary.
10. Best Pumping Handle: NERF Super Soaker Freezefire Blaster
The gun is easy-to-use and can be filled with ice besides water. This video will tell you all you need to know about this pair.
- Cap of the gun opens wide enough to fit ice cubes
- Can store up to 23 fluid ounces (680 milliliters) of water
- No trigger needed to shoot water
- Easy-to-slide ‘pumping’ handle
- Can shoot to a maximum distance of 38 feet (11.5 meters)
- Might be bigger than expected
- Might leak
11. Best Compact: NERF Fortnite HC-E Super Soaker Toy Water Blaster
NERF’s toy is a great product to consider if you are looking for a compact water gun for kids. Fill the tank with water, and the gun is ready to shoot at the press of the trigger.
- Pistol-style water gun
- In-built tank stores 7.4 fluid ounces (218.8 milliliters) of water
- No pumping action required before shooting
- Design based on a gun featured in the video game called Fortnite
- Nozzle might start dribbling after a few uses
- May be slightly difficult to fill
12. Best Easy-To-Aim: NERF Super Soaker Scatterblast Blaster
The nozzle squirts out five streams of water at once, which makes it an exciting toy to use. The water just blasts out of it, making it a riot to play with.
- Flip-up sight at the front of the gun makes it easier to aim the gun
- Maximum range of the water gun is 34 feet (10.3 meters)
- Can hold 22 fluid ounces (650 milliliters) of water
- Made of durable and child-safe plastic
- One pump is only for one shot of water
- Might leak when filled to capacity
13. Best For Swimming Pool: Stream Machine QF-2000 Water Launcher Gun
It is ideal for use in swimming pools, where you have water all around and do not require a water reservoir within the gun. This water gun works with a suction action. Dip the tip of the gun in the water and pull the handle to draw water into its reservoir.
- Easy to push the handle to squirt the water out with pressure
- No need to ‘pump’ the gun before shooting
- Ideal for young children
- Made from high-quality plastic with durable moving parts
- Some may not find the stream powerful enough
- Water may spill out
How To Choose Water Guns For Kids?
Keep the following checklist handy when shopping for best water guns for children:
- Design: Water guns can come in myriad shapes and sizes. Pick a design that suits your child’s preference and type of usage. Lightweight and compact water guns could be ideal for young children who may find large water guns bulky.
- Water capacity: The tank capacity of water guns varies. Those with large storage are good when playing on land, while guns that require suctioning can be useful within a pool.
- Durability: It is always good to pick a water gun made from durable plastics. The material should be able to withstand prolonged exposure to water without corroding.
Children can have a lot of fun with water guns, provided they are safe while playing.
Safety Tips While Using Water Guns
The following safety tips help keep playtime with water guns safe:
- Never aim at eyes: Although water is harmless, it can be dangerous when squirted at a high velocity from a water gun. Therefore, tell the kids not to aim the gun at someone’s eyes or face. Arms and torso are better places to aim water guns.
- Wear safety goggles: In addition to being cautious, children should also wear safety goggles while playing with water guns. If they are going to the pool, they can use swimming goggles as well.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer who has adopted a meaningful way of communicating with her readers by helping them have a seamless and stress-free shopping experience. Her expertise lies in writing about products that capture children’s imagination and make their lives more fun. Here, she lists the best water guns that will make for a memorable summer afternoon with your family and keep kids busy for hours. These toys are sturdy, easy to use, and available in various designs. She has considered user feedback and included a buying guide for your convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does a water gun work?
Water guns come in different models but have similar components and functions and work on a similar pumping mechanism but are different. The basic idea is to build the pressure in the water reservoir, and then when the trigger is pulled, the water shoots out of the nozzle in a steady stream.
2. How do you use a water gun?
Water guns are easy to use–all you need to do is fill the water reservoir with water, pump to build the pressure (some models may not require this), and then pull the trigger to squirt the water. Following the manufacturer’s instructions is advisable because they are all designed differently and might work differently.
3. What does CC refer to in water guns?
CC (cubic centimeter) refers to the water holding capacity.
4. Can I put food coloring in water guns?
Adding food colors to the water gun does not affect its functionality. However, ensure that the food colors are safe to use and do not cause any skin or eye irritation.
Kids nowadays have difficulty putting aside their gadgets and playing outside. One of the best ways to get them out of the house and interact with other kids is by purchasing the best water guns. Loaded with water, kids can splash water on each other. They are perfect for summers and come in various shapes and sizes. But when selecting the ideal water gun, ensure that they are lightweight, durable, and portable with a design your child likes. Also, supervise children while they play with water guns to prevent any mishaps.
- Best Pressure Washer Guns
- Best Inflatable Water Slides For Kids
- Best Water Tables
- Best Laser Tag Sets For Kids
View Profile ›