Ask any child what their favorite part of summer is, and chances are they’ll exclaim, “water games!” before you’re done with the question. With the best water guns for kids, you can allow your little one to have fun with water without worrying about any of the risks associated with it.
Water guns play a central role in various water-based games for children. They come in various shapes and sizes, but it’s important to pick a good-quality one if you want the toy to last.
In this post, we bring you a list of the most engaging and durable water guns for children that will make their summers more memorable.
13 Best Water Guns For Kids To Buy
1. Best Animal-Themed: Sumille Octopus Water Blaster
This uniquely-shaped water gun can lead to twice the fun while splashing water.
- The front nozzle of the water gun is shaped like an octopus. The water squirts out through the holes present on the toy octopus’ tentacles.
- Dip the octopus’ head in the water and pull the handle to refill the water gun. Push the handle to squirt out the water.
- The octopus and other parts of the water gun are well-designed to prevent any leakage.
- The water gun is made from durable plastic and does not have any sharp edges. The handle of the water gun is easy to grip too.
- It can hold up to 5.28 ounces (150 ml) of water.
2. Best With Foam Handle: Toyrific Store 24 Pack Emoji Blaster Water Guns
Whether relishing summer activities or enhancing the enjoyment levels at a party, the set of 24 emoji water pistols is suitable for every occasion.
- Can shoot from a distance of 30 feet and is manufactured for all ages
- 10.5 inches long shooters
- Manufactured of high-quality materials
- Durable and robust construction
- have a foam handle that ensures an easy and strong grip
- May not be of appropriate size for some
"These water blasters provided ample fun for my child's summer party. The soft foam end made it easy for little hands to grip and hold them comfortably and confidently. Although not the most durable, the laughs and enjoyment they offered made them a worthwhile purchase."
3. Best For Shooting Long Water Stream: Hitop Super Soaker Water Gun
The tried-and-tested water pistol toy has an excellent water capacity and offers value for money. It can hold 36 fluid ounces of water to let children enjoy long-range shooting games.
- Impressive blast distance of over 35 feet (10.6 meters)
- Made from high-quality, durable ABS plastic
- Can be pumped multiple times for a strong stream of water
- Two water guns in one pack for unlimited water fight
- Stream might not be powerful enough
- Might leak occasionally
"These water guns have exceeded my expectations with their build quality and non-leaking mechanism. They're perfect for my rambunctious kids and make chasing squirrels a fun task. While filling them can be a bit tricky, they hold up pretty well even after rough use. They continue to make water fights in the yard and car washing duties a delight."
4. Best Suction-Based: Max Liquidator Water Blaster Set
Tested by many reviewers, the suction-based water blasters are great for use around the pool. The working action of this water squirter toy is simple – dip the tip of the water blast in the water, pull back the handle, and push it to squirt out the water.
- Has a foam covering that makes it float in the water
- Each water blaster can shoot up to a distance of 30 feet (9.1 meters)
- Lightweight and durable
- Comes in an assortment of bright colors
- Consists of six water blasters, making it the perfect water gun set for kids playing in a group.
- Might be smaller than expected
- Ink marking may come off in the water
"These water blasters are a fun addition to pool play. They offer a safe and comfortable grip due to their foam exterior, and the kids enjoy the range at which they could shoot. All in all, it proved to be a well-made, colorful water toy that's a hit with the kids."
5. Best Fortnite-Themed: NERF Fortnite TS-R Super Soaker Water Blaster Toy
- Has a large water reservoir that can hold a maximum of one liter (36 fluid ounces) of water
- Features an opening at the front for filling it up with water easily
- Pushing the handle back and forth creates adequate pressure to shoot water
- Features all the details found in the original gun from the Fortnite video game
- Some might not find the stream strong
- Might leak
"With a generous water tank, splendid range, and smooth pump action, this water gun has made backyard water battles super fun. Although slightly heavy for the little ones, the toy is enjoyed by all. At times, we even use it to ward off pesky squirrels."
6. Best For Cold Water: HD Juntunkor Super Soaker Water Gun
This water gun features a lot of details and moving parts that give it a neat look and make it ideal for kids.
- The gun can hold a maximum of 27 fluid ounces (800 milliliters) of water. The child can also place ice cubes in the water reservoir to shoot ice-cold water.
- The maximum shooting distance of the water gun is 40 feet (12 meters).
- It is made from high-quality ABS material, which is durable and non-toxic.
- The gun does not have sharp edges that could be a potential hazard to the child.
- A pull handle lets you pump the water in before shooting. The pull handle is akin to reloading a toy gun.
"Besides being leak-free, these water guns have survived rough play and a few drops without a hitch. At times, there may be a trigger delay, but that just makes pretend games more fun. Overall, these mini-guns have become a joyful addition to our children's playtime."
7. Best For Siblings: Babcoo Water Gun For Kids
This water gun is value for money, considering that it costs less and works excellently.
- The pack consists of two guns of different colors. It is a suitable choice for parents planning to purchase guns for siblings.
- The water tank within the gun has a capacity of 32 fluid ounces (946 milliliters).
- Pour water in the gun, pump it, and you are all set to splash water at the press of a trigger.
- The gun can squirt water up to a distance of 30 feet (9.1 meters).
- The gun is made from high-quality ABS plastic, which is durable.
8. Best With Multiple Nozzles: Balnore Water Gun Soaker
The durable toy lets you have four times the fun of a regular water gun, thanks to its multiple nozzles. The tip comes with four large nozzles that shoot water all at once when the trigger is pressed.
- Water inlet of the tank is large enough to put ice cubes
- Reservoir capacity is 1.2 liters (40.5 ounces)
- Maximum blast distance of 32 feet (9.7 meters)
- Made from thick, high-quality plastic, which is durable
- Might leak slightly while in use
- Might be difficult to fill
"This water gun’s long squirt range makes beach trips and hot summer days super fun for my family. It does require disassembly for hose realignment, but the multiple firing streams and the lack of sharp edges make it worth it."
9. Best Pistol Design: Tuptoel Squirt Gun Water Toy
A compact gun for the kids who want to shoot water quickly. This water gun for kids features a pistol-like design and can be operated with one hand. There is a pump handle to pressurize the water inside. Fill the tank with water and press the trigger to start shooting water streams.
- Made from high-quality, durable, and non-toxic ABS plastic
- Can hold up to 6.7 fluid ounces (200 milliliters) of water
- See-through tank
- Easy refill
- Water may jam sometimes
- May be hard to pump
"I gifted these water guns to my nephew and son during summer vacation. Certain parts have developed a few cracks and dents over time, but the gun continues to add a splash of fun to pool weekends and backyard parties. They pack a surprising force and have made pretend fights more entertaining."
10. Best Pumping Handle: NERF Super Soaker Freezefire Blaster
The gun is easy to use, and its cool feature is that it can be filled with ice besides water. Explore this testing and review video to better understand this water soaker.
- Cap of the gun opens wide enough to fit ice cubes
- Can store up to 23 fluid ounces (680 milliliters) of water
- No trigger needed to shoot water
- Easy-to-slide ‘pumping’ handle
- Affordable price
- Might be bigger than expected
- Might leak
"I was surprised by the size - it's bigger than anticipated. It holds enough water to make playtime fun, and the firing range is also pretty decent. Moreover, the lock cap is handy for avoiding unwanted spills. Despite the initial struggles, my little one now thoroughly loves the plaything."
11. Best Compact: NERF Fortnite HC-E Super Soaker Toy Water Blaster
NERF’s trusted toy is a great product to consider if you are looking for a compact water gun for kids. Fill the tank with water, and the water soaker is ready to shoot at the press of the trigger.
- Pistol-style water gun
- In-built tank stores 7.4 fluid ounces (218.8 milliliters) of water
- No pump action is required before shooting
- Design based on a gun featured in the video game called Fortnite
- Nozzle might start dribbling after a few uses
- May be slightly difficult to fill
"I love the durability of this water gun, and the consistent and accurate stream it delivers. Its user-friendly features make it usable by me and my youngest one too. It may not seem like the most advanced model, but it is a handy and easy-to-use water gun."
12. Best Easy-To-Aim: NERF Super Soaker Scatterblast Blaster
The nozzle squirts out five streams of water at once, which makes it an exciting toy to use. The water just blasts out of it, making it a riot to play with.
- Flip-up sight at the front of the gun makes it easier to aim the gun
- Maximum range of the water gun is 34 feet (10.3 meters)
- Can hold 22 fluid ounces (650 milliliters) of water
- Made of durable and child-safe plastic
- One pump is only for one shot of water
- Might leak when filled to capacity
"The Nerf Super Soaker Scatterblast water gun is a versatile action toy. It is easy to use and a delight, not just for kids but for adults too. The plaything even came in handy in repelling a pesky little squirrel back home. In short, it's an all-around fun, practical buy that goes beyond just a toy."
13. Best For Swimming Pool: Stream Machine QF-2000 Water Launcher Gun
This can become your child’s favorite water gun as it is ideal for use in swimming pools, where you have water all around and do not require a water reservoir within the gun. This water gun works with a suction action. Dip the tip of the gun in the water and pull the handle to draw water into its reservoir.
- Easy to push the handle to squirt the water out with pressure
- No need to ‘pump’ the gun before shooting
- Ideal for young children
- Made from high-quality plastic with durable moving parts
- Some may not find the stream powerful enough
- Water may spill out
"My children wholeheartedly enjoy using these fun and easy-to-handle squirt guns. These guns are quick to fill and fire, perfect for playful garden chases and water fights during summer. The water stream can feel thick at times, but they still outdo most squirt guns I have owned previously."
How To Choose Water Guns For Kids?
Keep the following checklist in mind when shopping for the best water guns for children:
- Design: Water guns can come in myriad shapes and sizes. Pick a design that suits your child’s preference and type of usage. Lightweight and compact water guns could be ideal for young children who may find large water guns bulky.
- Water capacity: The tank capacity of water guns varies. Those with large storage are good when playing on land, while guns that require suctioning can be useful within a pool.
- Durability: It is always good to pick a water gun made from durable plastics. The material should be able to withstand prolonged exposure to water without corroding.
Safety Tips While Using Water Guns
Children can have hours of fun with water guns, provided they are safe while playing. The following safety tips help keep playtime with water guns safe:
- Never aim at eyes: Although water is harmless, it can be dangerous when squirted at a high velocity from a water gun. Therefore, tell the kids not to aim the gun at someone’s eyes or face. Arms and torso are better places to aim water guns.
- Wear safety goggles: In addition to being cautious, children should also wear safety goggles while playing with water guns. If they are going to the pool, they can use swimming goggles as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does a water gun work?
Water guns come in different models but have similar components and functions and work on a similar pumping mechanism but are different. The basic idea is to build the pressure in the water reservoir, and then when the trigger is pulled, the water shoots out of the nozzle in a steady stream.
2. How do I use a water gun?
Water guns are easy to use–all you need to do is fill the water reservoir with water, pump to build the pressure (some models may not require this), and then pull the trigger to squirt the water. Following the manufacturer’s instructions is advisable because they are all designed differently and might work differently.
3. What does CC refer to in water guns?
CC (cubic centimeter) refers to the water holding capacity.
4. Can I put food coloring in water guns?
Adding food colors to the water gun does not affect its functionality. However, ensure that the food colors are safe to use and do not cause any skin or eye irritation.
Kids nowadays have difficulty putting aside their gadgets and playing outside. One of the best ways to get them out of the house and interact with other kids is by purchasing the best water guns with fun features. Loaded with water, kids can splash each other or have a competition. Perfect for summer, they come in various shapes, sizes, and vibrant colors. When selecting a water gun, ensure they are portable with a design your child likes. Consider the Toyrific Store 24 Pack Emoji Blaster Water Guns with foam handles for cozy grip, the NERF Fortnite Super Soaker Water Blaster with a large reservoir, or the Max Liquidator Water Blaster Set created for poolside fun.Also, supervise children while they play with water guns to prevent any mishaps.
Infographic: Points To Consider When Playing With Water Guns
Water guns offer a thrilling way to engage in playful water battles and beat the heat, providing endless fun for children and adults alike. However, adhering to certain precautions during playtime can reduce the chances of accidents and injuries. Check out the following infographic to learn how to organize a safe water gun playtime.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and reviewer who has adopted a meaningful way of communicating with her readers by helping them have a seamless and stress-free shopping experience. Her expertise lies in writing about products that capture children’s imagination and make their lives more fun. Here, she lists the best water guns that will make for a memorable hot summer day with your family and keep kids busy for hours. These parent-recommended and quality-tested toys are sturdy, easy to use, and available in various designs. She has considered user reviews and included a buying guide for your convenience.