Tap water contains a range of contaminants, including heavy metals like zinc, mercury, lead, and even arsenic. Such pollutants can have a long-term negative impact on your health.
Water purification systems and bottled water are the two most preferred options for consuming clean and uncontaminated water. However, both options can be expensive, while bottled water leads to environmental hazards owing to the plastic waste it generates.
A water filter pitcher could be the right appliance to safeguard your health and the overall well-being of your family. These appliances provide clean drinking water, are budget-friendly, and easy to use. They do not require a lot of space for installation and can make water taste and smell better. Water filter pitchers come handy for people who live in rented spaces as they can be easily carried when you move to a new house.
In this post, we have curated a list of the best water filter pitchers available in the market, with tips on choosing the right one.
Top 13 Best Water Filter Pitchers
Brita, known for its water purifying products, offers a range of water pitchers in various sizes and price points. One of the attractive features of the five-cup capacity Brita water pitcher is its affordability. The pitcher features an electronic filter indicator that notifies when to replace the filter. The BPA-free pitcher is made of good quality durable plastic and comes in various colors to choose from.
Contaminants like chlorine, zinc, copper, mercury, and cadmium can be removed from tap water using Brita’s single-pitcher filter. The filter should be changed after it dispenses 40 gallons of water or approximately once in two months.
- Locking lid ensures no accidental spillage
- Compact enough to fit inside most refrigerators
- Removes odor and a metallic taste in water
- The whole lid has to be removed to refill the pitcher
- Users may find it challenging to assemble and de-assemble the components
The ZeroWater ZP-010 is one of the top-performing water filter pitchers that has passed several review tests. The 10-cup capacity pitcher can remove more than 99% of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). Its patented five-stage filtration system with NSF/ANSI Standard-53 certification ensures that most contaminants, including herbicides, pesticides, inorganic metal compounds, and suspended solids, are reduced to safe levels. A TDS meter attached to the lid checks water quality and filter replacement.
- Ionization results in soft water
- Made of BPA-free plastic
- Certified for lead and chromium removal
- Simple and effective design
- Spigot dispenser for easy pouring
- Includes one filter
- Filtration process can be time-consuming
- Filters may require replacement once every two weeks
- Some healthy minerals could be filtered out
The EHM Ultra lets you enjoy the goodness of alkaline water without pinching your purse. Equipped with a six-stage filtration system, the pitcher removes contaminants like chlorine and heavy metals. A distinguishing feature of the pitcher is it makes drinking water healthier and more beneficial by increasing its hydrogen and mineral content.
The manufacturer claims that the pitcher also adds essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, and antioxidants to the water. The pitcher has a 16-cup capacity and sets the alkalinity of water at the recommended pH level of 8.5-10.
- You can refill it without removing the lid
- Long filter life of more than two months
- Designed to fit in refrigerators easily
- Comes in five different colors
- Digital filter-life indicator not provided
- If filled to the brim, the lid may fall off while pouring the water
If you are searching for a compact and budget-friendly water filter pitcher, the seven-cup pitcher from Pur can be a perfect choice. The NSF-certified pitcher can reduce contaminants, such as chlorine, mercury, or copper, two times more effectively than other pitchers in the same range.
Made of BPA-free plastic material, the pitcher has a slim body that fits in refrigerators. It has an ergonomic design with flaps for easy filling of water, a secured filter fit, spout cover, and a comfortable grip handle.
- Fast filtering
- Three types of PUR filters to meet different filtration requirements
- Multi-layered filter that lasts for more than a month
- Easy set-up and assembly
- The plastic body may be too thin
The Pur Ultimate comes with stronger filtration capability and several additional features. The WQA certifies the pitcher to be three times more effective in filtering than its close competitors. The filtration is multi-layered, comprising granulated carbon, ion exchange media, and pleated paper traps. The seven-cup capacity compact pitcher guarantees a 99% reduction of lead and a 96% reduction of mercury.
- Lightweight, compact, and easy to store
- Easy to clean and maintain
- User-friendly, ergonomic design
- LED filter-status indicator
- The lid may not snap tight and interrupt the flow of water
- Filtration may take 20-30 minutes
AquaBliss offers a large-sized, yet sleek and lightweight pitcher with a 10-cup capacity. It is budget-friendly and economical, as you may not have to change the filters frequently. The pitcher can reduce a range of contaminants, including copper, cadmium, zinc, and mercury.
- Fast filtration within three minutes
- One-year warranty and full money-back guarantee
- Removes odors and pungent tastes
- BPA-free plastic build
- Includes date-marker to keep track of filter usage
- Level of contaminant reduction could be lower compared to similar products
If you are looking to buy a water filter pitcher with stunning looks and sleek design, the Waterdrop Chubby Water Filter Pitcher could be the perfect fit. This pitcher is made from high-grade BPA-free plastic with a contoured rigid wooden handle that makes it look stylish. The 10-cup capacity pitcher fits snugly inside most refrigerator door shelves. The pitcher is both NSF/ANSI 42 and 372 certified and can reduce chlorine and lead to safe levels.
The pitcher’s seven-stage filtration system reduces contaminants like fluoride, arsenic, limescale, and other heavy metals to acceptable levels. The filter can be used for more than six months or 200 gallons of water before it needs a replacement.
- Can be refilled without opening the lid
- Fast filtration
- Battery-powered filter life indicator is present
- Comes in three different color options
- Not a full TDS (total dissolved solids) filter
- Odor and metallic taste may persist
- May not be suitable for hard water
The Nakii Water Filter Pitcher, with a 7.5-cup capacity, has an innovative four-stage filtration system with ACS (Activated Carbon Fiber) technology that reduces mercury and chlorine levels by more than 98%. Additionally, the pitcher reduces all tap water contaminants such as rust, lead, sediments, and suspended particles. It can filter 150 gallons of water before requiring replacement and can last for about six months. Made of high-grade ABS plastic, the pitcher can last long.
- NSF/ANSI and WQA certified
- Fast filtration in less than two minutes
- Comfortable curved wooden surface fitted over a glass handle
- Refill without needing to take the lid off
- The auto-open refill cap may not open unless pressure is applied
- Could be too tall for refrigerators
- Filter-status indicator may not be available
The Levoit is a large-sized pitcher that can deliver 10 cups of cleaner and better-tasting water. It comes with a five-layer filtration system that removes contaminants such as cadmium, lead, mercury, aluminum, and copper, as well as odors and a pungent metallic taste. A feature unique to this pitcher is the adjustable active filter cap that lets you set the speed at which water passes through the filter and filtration intensity according to your convenience. The filters can be used for up to two months and dispense about 40 gallons before requiring replacement.
- Suitable for use with hard water
- Filtration in less than two minutes
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Made of non-hazardous and food-grade plastic components
- Easy filling and pouring with spout-lid and flip-top
- TDS reduction could be less compared to other pitchers in a similar range
Seychelle is a trusted manufacturer of water filter products, and its pH2O Alkaline Water Pitcher with an eight-cup capacity lets you maintain the recommended pH level at 9.5. The water filter is designed to remove benzene, lead, mercury, chloroform, arsenic, fluorides, and other contaminants.
The BPA-free pitcher also removes odors, bad taste, cloudiness, and salt in the water to give you a fresh, tasty, filtered water.
- High-quality filters manufactured and tested in the USA
- Adds essential minerals during filtering
- Easy to set-up, assemble, and clean
- Fits inside most refrigerators
- Filtering may take time
- May not be suitable for hard water
- Filter life may be shorter
The stainless-steel alkaline water-filter pitcher with an 8-cup capacity enhances the pH level to give a smooth taste to the water. The water filtration system removes harmful contaminants while retaining the essential minerals or re-mineralizing the water. It acts like a water ionizer that ionizes water molecules for better absorption by the human body, resulting in improved hydration.
The food-grade stainless steel construction with a nice wooden handle gives it a premium look and provides durability and endurance. The filter can last for over two months before requiring replacement.
- Can be used as a juice or wine pitcher
- Curved and stylish look
- Filter pouch may not be soft and may tear easily
A compact and lightweight pitcher with a seven-cup capacity, this product by Propur can be a good bet for household usage as well as refrigerator storage. The pitcher comes with the proprietary ProOne G2.0M filter with Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) that helps reduce more than 200 contaminants, including lead, fluorides, heavy metals, and pesticides, while retaining essential minerals like calcium. The filter can last up to six months. The pitcher is made of food-grade BPA and PVC-free plastic with pleasing aesthetics and ergonomics.
- Effective at enhancing pH levels even beyond 9-10
- Fruit-flavored infusion filters also available
- Enhances the taste of the water by imparting essential minerals
- Drip filtering may be slow
- The lid could fall off from the weight of water during the pouring
The 10-cup capacity premium Epic Pure Water Filter Pitcher comes with the powerful proprietary carbon block filter system capable of filtering more than two hundred contaminants, including chlorine, lead, fluorides, and halo-acetic acids. The filter can last over six months and filter up to 150 gallons of water.
The NSF/ANS backs the pitcher’s claims of 99% pollutant reduction I 42/53/401/P478 certifications. The filtration retains minerals like calcium, sodium, and magnesium required for the body. The pitcher is carefully designed with BPA-free construction and quality components for the lid, flaps, and handle.
- Push-flap for easy refill
- Digital filter life countdown timer
- Easy to fit inside refrigerators
- 100% money-back guarantee and prompt customer care
- May not offer pH balance
- Pour spout could be small
How To Choose The Right Water Filter Pitcher?
- Filter quality: One of the best ways to buy a good quality water filter pitcher is to check for various authorized organizations’ certifications. Certifications from the Water Quality Association (WQA) and NSF/ANSI can be considered gold standards. Choosing products backed by certifications is the best way to ensure that the criteria are met.
- Filter life: The shelf life of filters can range from two weeks to more than six months. It is advisable not to extend the filter usage beyond its shelf life. Most products come with a filter life indicator to notify when it’s time to put a new filter. It is economical to choose a filter that lasts more than a month since frequent filter replacement can be expensive.
- Pitcher size: The water filter pitchers come in different sizes ranging from eight to ten-cup capacity, which could be perfect for a family of four. On the flip side, one may find it challenging to fit the larger sized pitchers into refrigerators. A small size pitcher with an eight-cup capacity could be a better option because of portability.
- Pitcher build quality and design: Choose pitchers made from food-grade plastic or metal that is also BPA-free. Make sure the build of the pitcher is sturdy. A well-designed water filter pitcher will be easy for cleaning and maintaining. Look for pitchers with well-designed pouring-spouts, properly fitting lids, and easy-to-grip handles.
A water filter pitcher can be an affordable solution for clean and safe water. Unlike water purifying systems, pitchers are portable and help you remove harmful contaminants present in tap water. With the help of our shortlisted products and buying guide, choose the right water filter pitcher and make sure that you and your family do not compromise on drinking quality and safe water.