When you’re planning a trip to the beach with the kids, you think of sunscreen, swimming shorts or dresses, and even beach tents that protect the child from the harsh rays.
But what about the scalding sand that could burn your child’s feet? Flip flops would seem like the ideal choice for this, but they are easy to lose in the water. Everyday shoes are not an option as they absorb water and become heavy.
Enter water shoes for kids, designed specifically to protect the child’s feet while also letting them have all the fun in the water.
13 Best Water Shoes
It is one of the best selling waterproof sandals that work for both boys and girls.
- The sandal comes in a universal, unisex design to provide a snug and comfortable fit.
- The sole of the sandal is thick and durable. The heel stands at the height of one inch to provide extra cushioning to the child’s foot.
- The polyester mesh lining on top of the sandal is breathable. The materials are made to prevent the development of odor.
- The toddler-size version of the sandals is not waterproof.
If you want your child’s feet to be dry within a few minutes, then you should consider these water shoes with ventilation.
- The top of the shoe has a mesh pattern, which allows circulation of air from all angles.
- A molded sole with holes allows air to pass through, keeping it dry too.
- The shoe comes with conventional shoe laces, which let you tighten or loosen the shoes as needed.
- The pores in the sole may allow fine sand to enter the shoe, which can be annoying for the child.
- A few people had difficulty with the fit even after choosing the right size.
Dadawan’s water shoes score high on flexibility and comfort.
- The top of the shoe is made from a soft, mesh material that allows adequate air flow to prevent sogginess.
- The sole of the shoe is flexible and allows for the free movement of the feet during activities.
- You can remove the insole to let it dry faster. The shoe is machine washable after the removal of the insole.
- A Velcro strap fastens the shoe to the foot and can be used to tighten or loosen it.
- Some parents noticed that the product gives off a chemical smell that does not go away even after a machine wash.
These water shoes for children are designed to provide plenty of ventilation to the feet.
- Several holes punched into the shoe allow air to circulate within and keep the foot dry. Adequate ventilation prevents sogginess and smell.
- The sole is patterned with a texture that provides maximum grip when the foot is underwater.
- You get both shoelaces and Velcro straps that keep the shoe securely at its place.
- The holes in the shoe can allow fine sand inside.
- Some parents report the inside of the shoe to be rough. It may cause blisters even when you pick the right shoe size.
These water shoes from Bigib are comfortable and available in a range of sizes for a child.
- The top section is made from easy-to-dry fabric that also provides ventilation for the feet. It eventually prevents sogginess and smell.
- The opening of the shoe has a soft inner lining, which prevents the formation of blisters on the child’s ankle.
- The sole is made from rubber for good grip.
- The sole is thin for use on rough and coarse sandy beaches.
The Sunville water shoes combine comfort and usability in or near water.
- The top surface of the shoe is made from nylon, which offers both durability and protection from water.
- A loop at the back of the shoe allows you to tighten or loosen the shoe.
- The water shoe is available in six sizes for toddlers.
- A few parents did not like the build quality of the shoe and felt it was not durable.
It provides ample protection and good grip for your baby’s delicate feet.
- The shoes are made from neoprene rubber that provides 100% waterproofing.
- The water shoe is soft and comfortable from the inside so that the baby’s delicate skin is safe even when the shoes are on for long hours.
- The opening of the shoe is designed to prevent the entry of sand.
- The shoes can fold and are lightweight. They float on water in case the child loses them or removes them while playing in the water.
- The sole of the shoe is not very thick to withstand sharp gravel. It is best suited for smooth sand and concrete floor by the side of the pools.
- There are no straps or Velcro to adjust the shoe. The elastic on the opening of the shoe may loosen over time.
If your child is particular about the design and style of their water shoes, then they will be spoilt with choices here.
- The top of the water shoe is made from high-quality, stretchable polyester material that resists water.
- The rubber sole is soft to provide adequate grip, yet Is durable enough to protect the foot from sand and rocks.
- This water shoe is available in 40 design options.
- The sole of the shoe can come across as too soft and wear off when used extensively for walking on hard and sharp rocks.
Speedo’s water shoes offer one of the most superior grips on wet surfaces, thanks to the shoe’s unique sole design.
- The rubber sole comes with small channels that help repel water so that the feet get maximum grip on the ground.
- There is a mesh fabric insert on the inside, which allows air to flow through to dry the shoes quickly.
- Some parents noted that the shoes tend to wear off if worn continuously for a long duration.
- A few buyers had issues with the fit despite picking the right size.
If you are looking for multi-purpose sandals that also works as a water sandal, then you must consider this product from Pediped.
- The sole has a ridge pattern that provides grip on wet surfaces and a variety of other surfaces.
- The American Podiatric Medical Association approves the sandal as an aid for promoting a healthy foot development.
- You can machine wash the sandals when they become dirty.
- A few parents noticed the shoe doesn’t fit the child’s feet even when the right size is picked.
The Norocos aqua socks are comfortable and can keep the child’s feet relaxed even when worn for a long duration.
- The upper part of the water shoe is made from polyester and spandex. This combination provides an excellent mix of durability and stretchability.
- The top part of the shoe is breathable, which helps dry the feet quickly.
- The sole is made from rubber and has a pattern that helps provide maximum grip.
- The elastic nature of the aqua socks makes putting them on and removing easier.
- The shoe may come across as too thin for protection against sharp rocks and pebbles. A few parents did not find the shoe to be durable.
- There are no straps to adjust the shoe’s fitting.
The i Play water shoes offer an excellent grip on wet surfaces, making them ideal for children who often tend to slip on wet and smooth surfaces.
- The sole is made from rubber while the top is made from synthetic mesh. It provides a great combination of ventilation and grip.
- The shoe is flexible and can be easily put on and taken off.
- A loop at the back of the shoe allows the parent to pull the shoe upon the child’s feet.
- There are no straps, laces, or other option to adjust the fit of the shoe.
- Some parents did not find the shoe to be durable, while some noted blisters on their child’s foot after a few hours of usage.
These water shoes from Fresko come in a variety of sizes and color options.
- The rubber sole is thick and protects the child’s feet from sharp rocks and hot sand.
- The shoes fit over the feet like a sock and are easy to wear and remove.
- The design of the sole allows for comfortable positioning of the toes within the shoe. There is also adequate ankle support.
- You can machine wash the shoes or wash them using a water spray from a garden hose.
- Since it is a rubber shoe, it can cause the feet to become warm and sweaty on a hot day.
- Some parents did not find the shoe very durable for beach use.
What Are Water Shoes?
Water shoes are water-resistant shoes that are specially made for use in and around water. Unlike standard shoes, these shoes are made from materials that do not soak in the water. They do not retain any water and remain light, letting the child move freely inside and outside water. Water shoes come in several variations depending on their design.
Types Of Water Shoes
The following are the most common types of water shoes:
- Standard water shoes look like regular shoes but are made of a material that dries quickly. The sole of the shoe is usually made of durable rubber and protects the feet from the pointy rocks that often lie within sea water. Some shoes have a mesh-like pattern on top for better air circulation. A standard water shoe is most likely to have straps and elastic bands to hold the shoe in place even underwater.
- Water sandals are similar to water shoes and have a durable rubber sole, but without any material covering the top part as a regular sandal. Water sandals are ideal in hot weather since they keep the feet cool. However, they can allow sand inside when used on beaches.
- Aqua socks, or wet shoes, are thick rubber shaped like a shoe. The shoe can be folded and rolled like socks, hence the name aqua socks. It is typically skin-tight and offers an excellent grip. But the shoes are not very thick and may not provide much protection against rocks and gravel.
But do the kids really need them, or can they work with the regular flip flops or sandals? Find out more about why water shoes could be a better option for use at beaches or other water bodies.
What Are The Advantages Of Water Shoes?
A water shoe offers certain benefits over a regular shoe. Here is why water shoes are better for your child when visiting a beach or a swimming pool:
- Water-resistant materials: A water shoe is constructed from materials that can resist damage due to water. If you frequently visit the pool or the beach with your child, then you will notice that water shoes last longer than standard shoes.
- Quick drying: The build materials of a water shoe do not soak much water and dry off quickly.
- Durable sole: The sole is designed to withstand elements the seaside throws at it. A water shoe’s sole will protect the child’s feet from sharp pebbles, broken shells, hot sand, and other potentially dangerous trash that could be present at a beach.
- Ventilation for the feet: Since the shoe’s materials dry quickly, they provide better air circulation. It means the child’s feet stay well-aerated and can prevent skin irritation. A regular shoe will leave the child’s feet soggy.
- Prevention of potential injury: Regular shoes are not designed for use in water. Wearing a standard, non-water shoe in wet weather or surroundings can cause certain parts of the shoe to swell and chafe against the child’s foot. This can cause blisters and other potential injuries while walking, which can be avoided with water shoes.
Water shoes can have a variety of features depending on their design and brand. You must pick one that works the best for your little one.
How To Choose The Right Water Shoe?
Keep the following points in mind when shopping for a water shoe for your child:
- Place of use: Where the child intends to use the shoe will decide the type of water shoe you should purchase. If your child is likely to visit a sandy beach, then conventional water shoes will be a great option. Water sandals are ideal for spending a hot day at the pool. Aqua socks are also great since they can provide an excellent grip on the slippery floor around the pool.
- The grip on the foot: The shoe should securely hold on to the feet of the child and not come out due to a strong current of water. Pick water shoes that have extra Velcro straps to hold them in their place.
- Movement of the foot: The toes of the child should not feel cramped. If your child finds shoes uncomfortable and restrictive, then you can consider buying water sandals instead.
Water shoes offer a lot of protection to your child’s feet while also letting them enjoy their water-side outing without soggy feet. It is always good to clean the shoes after your visit to the pool or the sea. It helps remove sea-salt, sand, and other debris from the shoe. Proper washing and regular inspection of the shoe is all that is needed for a water shoe to last a long time.
Have you ever purchased water shoes for your child? Do share with us your experience in the comment section below.