Whether you are going to work or camping, the best waterproofing sprays provide long-lasting protection to your outdoor gear and apparel. With a convenient spray, you can add an extra layer of protection to the item’s surface to repel water without causing any damage. The sprays offer waterproof protection to leather and fabric.
If the outdoor gear and clothing are made of waterproof materials, applying the best waterproofing spray further enhances the waterproof properties. There are various waterproof sprays available, depending on the type of fabric you wish to protect. This post features the best waterproofing sprays that you can consider buying.
10 Best Waterproofing Sprays
This marine canvas waterproofing spray can effectively repel water and is ideal for cushions, boats, outdoor furniture, and other products. The water-based spray is also suitable for RV canvas, tents, shoes, and other fabrics. This non-hazardous protective agent meets stringent safety standards.
- Non-hazardous spray
- Doesn’t make products leaky
- Retains effect for a long time
- May not work in heavy rain
This waterproof spray with anti-stain properties can protect and waterproof almost all leather types, including nubuck and suede. The product’s slow-drying and neutral color formula can ensure that the spray does not leave traces behind. This waterproofing spray can protect expensive leather from wet weather conditions. You can use the product on handbags, wallets, apparel, boots, accessories, and other products.
- Anti-stain treatment
- Made with high-quality compounds
- All-natural formula
- May not be perfect for delicate, smooth leather
If you have hiking boots, clothing, and other outdoor gear that have lost their waterproofing properties, Mountval can help revive the waterproofing ability. This waterproofing solution makes your gear and clothes waterproof without compromising on breathability. The product is ideal for climatic membranes and does not contain solvents. Besides, it is a non-aerosol, gas-free spray that meets the highest safety standards.
- Easy and safe to use
- Can work on every outdoor gear
- Doesn’t impair breathability
- The odor could be strong
This high-tech protector, made of carbon fiber technology, can maintain breathability, prevent water accumulation, and allows sufficient air to flow. It is one of the most robust waterproofing sprays that can be used on textiles, leather, suede, shoes, and boots.
- Can work adequately
- Can work on gears and accessories
- Keeps the product clean
- Spray nozzle may choke
Silver Canyon water and stain repellent provides an extra layer of protection to cowboy hats and boots. The product prevents stains and water damage. You can use it on leather, fabric, suede, wool, felt, and nubuck to protect from water, dirt, and stains. It maintains the flexibility of the material and air permeability.
- Fights water, stains, and dirt
- Works on different types of material
- Easy to use
- The effect may not last long
This spray is designed to restore the water resistance and revive the breathability of waterproof garments. You can use this spray on synthetic sleeping bags, ski jackets, raincoats, and technical clothing. The product is water-based, biodegradable, and does not contain optical brighteners, VOCs, PFCs, or added scent.
- Works for long
- Easy to apply
- Repels and spreads water
- May not work with every material
Star Brite waterproofing spray protects your outdoor gear and clothing from water, UV rays, and stains. It is most effective on boat covers, sail covers, car covers, jackets, tents, boots, backpacks, and patio covers and restores the color and the breathability of several items. It provides an additional moisture barrier and extends the life of the outdoor gear.
- Protects from stains, water, and UV rays
- Doesn’t change the color or breathability
- 100% fabric compatible
- The effect may not last for very long
This excellent breathable fabric waterproofing spray, made from specially formulated compounds, is ideal for horse blankets, pet clothing, pet bedding, and pet protective gear. It preserves the breathability of products made from modern membranous textiles. The water-based spray is also effective in resisting water absorption.
- Safe after drying
- Works fine on harder material
- Requires ventilated area for spraying
- May not work well on softer material
This aerosol spray offers a protective layer to textiles, nubuck, suede leather, and other smooth materials. It can protect the outdoor gear and clothing from stains, dirt, moisture, and water. The spray will not clog pores and membranes, allowing the materials to breathe easily.
- Ethically manufactured
- Works well on a variety of products
- Repels moisture from dewdrops and ice
- May only work on a smooth, porous surface
This waterproof spray is ideal for textiles and leather and does not contain PFC. It improves the water resistance of fabrics and leather. The waterproof spray can provide long-lasting protection. This is an effective and safe alternative to PFC-based products.
- Laboratory approved
- Safe and easy to use
- Can be used for ten years
- May leave spots behind
- Might make some products darker
How To Choose The Best Waterproofing Spray?
Consider the following factors when choosing a waterproofing spray.
- Suitable material: You must ensure that the spray you choose is designed for the material and product you wish to waterproof. Choosing inappropriate products can easily damage your products.
- Dry time: Focus on how long it takes for the item to dry after spraying. When using a waterproof spray, it is crucial to let the product dry sufficiently. Therefore, if you are going on a camping trip and want your items to dry out within two hours, then choosing a spray that takes 24 hours is pointless.
- Durability: Another essential factor to consider is the coating’s durability after application. If you want to waterproof a jacket that you wear every day, you may have to reapply the spray every few weeks. On the contrary, more powerful products may last throughout the season. Therefore, make sure to check the durability.
- Ease of application: Most waterproofing sprays come in direct spray-on or spray bottle or cans. Purchasing the proper packaging helps in even dispersal of the product.
What Are The Benefits Of Waterproofing Spray?
Below are some of the notable benefits of waterproofing sprays.
- The main advantage of waterproofing spray is that it can protect outdoor gear. It will form an extra coating on the surface, turning the water into beads.
- It can prevent mold formation.
- The coating could protect the fabric from contamination by beverages and food, making the cleaning process easier.
- Some of these sprays can protect clothing from UV rays.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can the waterproofing spray damage the shoes?
If you use the wrong spray or apply it the wrong way, it may damage your shoes. However, choosing the best product will not harm them.
2. How often should you spray your shoes?
If you wear shoes every day and the shoes keep getting wet, you should spray at least twice a week.
3. Do waterproof sprays expire?
Yes, these sprays may expire. However, it depends on the product. Over time, certain ingredients may lose their potency, leading to disappointing results.
Frequent exposure to water can damage your essential outdoor gear. Waterproofing sprays are the best products to protect your outdoor gear, fabrics, shoes, bags, camping equipment, and clothes from water and stains. Choose from our list of the best waterproofing sprays and keep your essential gear safe from water damage.