A weighted vest is used to enhance the resistance, agility, and strength during workout or exercise sessions. Different types of weighted vests enable you to improve body strength, cardiovascular health, and musculoskeletal health. A few products also have additional storage pockets for holding personal accessories and shoulder pads to make the workout sessions comfortable.
In this post, we list some of the best weighted vests, their features, and their pros and cons. Read on to understand the product better and pick one that is best for you.
11 Best Weighted Vests In 2021
An ideal weighted vest for workouts, the product by Aduro Sport enhances the resistance and strength during workouts. The vest has mesh storage pockets at the back to keep your valuables during workouts. The product also features shoulder pads for comfort, making it ideal for strength training. The odor-free vests are available with different weights (iron beads), and different sizes for kids and adults.
- Weights distributed evenly to negate the chances of sliding/falling
- Comes with adjustable buckles for a perfect fitting
- Made from high-quality, breathable neoprene material
- Comes with impressive musculoskeletal and cardiovascular advantages
- May not be as durable as advertised
From running to push-ups, you can use the weighted vest for different exercise regimes. The weighted training vest has provision for shoulder pads to make the workout effective and comfortable. One of the best weighted vests for running, the durable and user-friendly product by Runmax is available at an affordable price.
- Comes with extra weights that you can add or remove as needed
- Has additional pockets to hold a water bottle and cell phones
- Dual Velcro straps for secure fitting
- Uniformly distributed weights with sand pouches
- May be quite heavy
- The shoulder pad may not be very thick and long-lasting
- Might have a strong chemical smell when unpacked
An adjustable weighted vest, the product contains individual weighted pouches to help increase your resistance during body weight training. Each packet contains approximately 2.5lb of iron balls. You can adjust the weight during the workout by adding or removing the packets. The weighted vest contains an adjustable belt around the waist for a secure fit sans slipping or sliding.
- Made from premium quality reinforced polyester and nylon
- Comes with reflective strips for improved visibility at night
- Comes with anchor hooks to aid in parachute run training
- Comes with shoulder pads, ensuring a snug fit
- Comes with pockets to hold the weighted pouches efficiently
- May not be very durable
- The shoulder pads may wear out after a few uses
A weighted vest for women, men, and kids, the product by Henkelion comes with an adjustable buckle for a better fit during workouts and exercise. The weighted packets in the vest come filled with high-quality metal rocks and iron pellets and weigh 12lb each. One of the best weighted vests for exercise, the product is made from high-quality and comfortable neoprene material.
- Uniform weight distribution throughout to avoid any sliding/slipping during workouts
- Features reflective strips for better visibility in the dark
- Mesh storage pockets to store your valuables while running or jogging
- The adjustable straps may not be as durable as advertised
- The weights (especially iron pellets) may start coming out after a few uses
If you are looking for a high-quality and comfortable weighted vest for workouts, Zelus’s product is worth giving a try. The product comes with 20lb, 16lb, 12lb, 8lb, 6lb, or 4lb weight options. The weights used in the packets include premium quality iron pellets (free from harmful chemicals). One of the best weighted vests for working out, the product helps improve body strength, agility, speed, and power.
- Features mesh pockets in the front (detachable) and at the back for convenient storage during exercise
- Comes with several reflective tapes/stripes throughout the vest for enhanced visibility and safety in the dark
- Adjustable buckle straps and elastic edging for a perfect fit and better flexibility during workouts
- Can be hand-washed
- The iron beads may start spilling out after a few uses
- The buckle may not be very durable
The weighted vest comes with weight bars that you can add or remove as per convenience. Each iron bar weighs 3lb, and each vest can hold up to 60lb of weight to enhance your workouts. Designed to support optimum mobility, the stylish and sleek vest by miR can be machine-washed.
- Made of comfortable and soft material with a unique airflow design that absorbs the sweat to keep your body cool during exercise/workouts
- Comes with adjustable straps/buckles and shoulder straps for better and secure fittings
- Anything above 30lb of weight might cause some inconvenience, exerting pressure on the neck and shoulder, during workouts
The unisex weighted vest is ideal for high-performance training, tactical training while working with fire, or with military or police personnel. The regular use of this vest goes a long way to help build and strengthen bone density. The vest has a unique body-hugging fit and comes with a steel weight of 10lb, with provisions for more.
- Easy-opening/closing with a full zipper system
- Designed for optimum movement
- Open side panels with side lacing that can be adjusted for better ventilation and fitting
- Made from odor-resistant, comfortable, breathable, stretchable, and wicking fabric
- Might be a bit expensive
- May not be as durable as advertised
If you are looking for a weighted vest to add more power and resistance to your exercise/workout regime, then the product by RunFast will not disappoint you. The weighted vest comes across as an effective equipment for individuals interested in strength training and cross-training exercise. The product contains five pockets/pouches throughout (front as well as back) to fill in the weights as per the workout requirements.
- Comes with two adjustable bands/Velcro straps for a secure fitting
- Shoulder straps included for an effective workout
- Includes detachable weights that you can add or remove as per your needs
- Comes equipped with the weighted pouches/packets (100lb)
- The shoulder pads may not be very comfortable to work with
- The quality may not be up to the standards
The weighted vest by Tone Fitness measures 17.32in (length) x 14.17in (width) x 1.97in (height) and contains many reflective strips for safety and visibility in the dark or low-light conditions. An ideal unisex fitness vest, the product comes with eight pounds of weight.
- Made from high-quality, soft, comfortable, and stretchable neoprene
- Uniform weight distribution for more resistance and comfort during workout
- Two adjustable side straps for perfect fitting
- May not stay in place during brisk walking, running, or jogging
The unisex weighted vest helps enhance speed, flexibility, agility, and efficiency during strength training workouts. The vest has reflector strips to ensure safe workouts in the dark or poor light conditions. It comes loaded with fine iron sand (chemical-free, odor-free) for optimum performance.
- Made from premium quality, breathable, and ultra-soft neoprene
- Built-in mesh pockets for storing valuables, including mobile phones, wallet, keys
- Comes with Velcro straps in the front and elastic straps on the sides to fit most waist sizes without sliding or slipping
- Uniform heat distribution
- Double-stitched edge protector to keep the iron sand from leaking
- The shoulder straps may not be very durable
- May seem a little expensive
Ideal for weight training as well as cardio exercises, the product by Ativafit helps make your workouts efficient and intense. You can get the vest in two different weights, 8lb or 16 lb. The vest comes stuffed with high-quality soft iron sand that is free of chemicals. The unisex weighted vest also contains reflective strips/tapes for a safe workout at night or in dim/poor light conditions.
- Two adjustable buckle straps for the right fit and tightness as needed
- Comes with an ergonomic design and anti-slip shoulder pad to hold the vest in place during exercise/workouts
- Convenient front pockets with Velcro to keep your keys, mobile phones
- May be a little difficult to run or jog with the vest on
- May not be very durable
How To Choose The Right Weighted Vest?
The following factors should be considered while buying a weighted vest so that the product is worth your money.
- Quality: Most weighted vests are made from high-quality, breathable, soft, and durable neoprene fabric. In addition to elevating the resistance, strength, and agility, the vests should be able to absorb the sweat, thereby keeping your body cool during the workout.
- The intent of use: Not all weighted vests serve the same purpose. Some vests are exclusively designed for workouts and strength training activities, which may be different from weighted vests for runners. Many fitness vests are unisex, while a few others are gender-specific. So, pick on based on who wears the vest and for what type of exercise.
- Built-in features: Many weighted vests contain adjustable straps or buckles to ensure the product fits individuals of any waist size. A few products contain shoulder pads so that the vest stays in place during the workout. The presence of reflective tapes ensures safe workouts in the dark or poor light conditions. Many products come with mesh pockets for securely carrying your valuables during the workout.
- Weights: An ideal vest is one that comes with uniform weight distribution to optimize your performance during workouts. From solid iron bars to iron pellets, the weights used in the vest can vary from brand to brand. Irrespective of the material used, make sure the weights are chemical and odor-free.
Most vests let you add or remove the weights as per the requirements. Make sure the weighted vest you choose allows maximum body movement when you work out.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do weighted vests work?
In the majority of cases, the weighted vests help to increase your resilience, speed, agility, intensity, and strength, thereby making the workout more productive. The weighted vests often help to improve fitness levels and body strength.
- How much should my weighted vest weigh?
The weight on the weighted vest may vary depending on the nature of the workout. For activities that involve strength training, you may require slightly more weight than what you would need for jogging or brisk walking. Ideally, the weight you use should be about 20% of your body weight.
- Are weighted vests good for osteoporosis?
Research suggests that using a weighted vest while walking may bring about a positive change in the bone density, thereby benefiting those with osteoporosis. However, the use of the weighted vest should be strictly as per the doctor’s recommendation.
- Are weighted vests good for fat loss?
In many cases, the use of weighted vests helps burn calories effectively, thereby aiding in weight loss.
- Does wearing a weighted vest build muscle?
The weighted vests make your workout more intense, by stressing and straining the muscles. The more the stress, the stronger will be the muscle build-up.
- Is it harmful to wear a weighted vest?
In most cases, it is safe to wear a weighted vest. However, individuals with spinal (such as spinal stenosis), neck, or back problems/disorders should refrain from using the vest or do so only if recommended by the doctor.
Weighted vests are undoubtedly a great accessory to optimize your workouts and exercise. They not only help improve the overall body posture and balance but also strengthen the core muscles and burn out the calories efficiently. However, for first-time users, it makes sense to use the vest in the presence of a physical trainer to negate the chances of injury. Individuals with health conditions should have a word with their physician before using the vest.