White pens might not be too common, but the best white pens do the trick if you’re writing on a black (or dark) surface. Artists, designers, caricaturists, and cartoonists prefer using white pens to give their work a unique emphasis. Medical institutions and research organizations also use white pens to mark X-rays, documents, and other readings.
Finding a white pen to suit your needs might sound simple, but it is not so easy. First, you have to keep in mind the quality of the dye used. So, without further ado, let us look at the best white pen options that can make your life easier as an artist.
11 Best White Pens
1. Best For Writing On Plastic: Flymax White Pen
Flymax’s permanent white pens are suitable for various surfaces, including plastic, canvas stone, rock, fabric, ceramic wood, and leather. Its 0.7mm fine tip provides precision control for shading and drawing fine lines and small details on any surface. This pen is ideal for both novice and experienced artists. The water-based pigment is non-toxic, lightfast, and water-resistant.
- Opaque ink
- Useful for creating gradients
- Odorless ink
- Ink may run out fast
- May smudge slightly
2. Best For Extended Use: Art-n-Fly White Gel Pen
The Art-n-Fly pen features a 0.7mm fine tip and is comfortable to use over long periods. This pen is ideal for precise drawing and detailed illustrations. It blends well with markers, watercolors, pencils, and pens and works smoothly on all paper surfaces, making it one of the most versatile fine tip markers. The ink is archival, which means it has been specifically designed to resist weathering and fading. The pen is non-toxic and acid-free. If you want to know more about this white pen for crafts and other purposes, check out this video on YouTube.
- Rubber grip for a steady hand
- Does not smudge
- May skip at times
- May not paint over pencils
3. Best Smudge-Proof: Arteza White Gel Pens
The Arteza white gel pens have three different nib sizes: 0.6, 0.8, and 1mm. In the set of three, each pen is labeled with the nib diameter so that you can easily select the pen you want to use. These gel-based markers are smudge-proof, highly pigmented, and acid-free, meaning the white ink will not turn yellow or fade over time. Go ahead and check out this YouTuber’s video for more details about the product.
- Opaque white ink
- Works on all colored surfaces
- Ergonomically designed
- Consistent ink flow
- Shiny finish
- May not be water-resistant
- May run out of ink quickly
4. Best Water-Resistant: Akarued White Pen
Akarued acrylic white pens are suitable for drawing semi and medium-line details. They are also perfect for filling large areas because they dry quickly and are resistant to water. The ink can create highly durable, opaque, and glossy finishes on almost all surfaces, such as stone, leather, plastic, and clay. These acrylic paint markers are leakproof and non-toxic, so children can also use them.
- Highly pigmented
- Works on glass
- May have a watery consistency
- May bleed
5. Best For All Surfaces: Artistro White Paint Pen
The 0.7mm extra-fine nib Artistro pen produces an opaque and rich color on its first application on any surface. It has a transparent ink barrel to help you understand the amount of ink remaining on the pen, making it one of the most practically designed artist-grade markers. The pen is suitable on various surfaces such as wood, clay, stone, and terracotta, and the ink dries quickly.
- Acrylic ink with a glossy finish
- Italian ink and Japanese nib
- Conforms to ASTM D-4236 safety standards
- May be difficult to get the right amount of ink out of the pen
- May run out of ink quickly
6. Best For Scrapbooking: Ohuhu Gold Silver White Gel Ink Pen
Ohuhu gel pens are available in 20 vibrant colors and suitable for highlighting, scrapbooking, or doing other art projects. The ink flows smoothly on paper and photo albums and is safe, odorless, and non-toxic. They are smudge-proof and dry quickly while retaining their color for a long time, making them the ideal pens for dark surfaces.
- Intensely pigmented
- SDS-certified for safety
- Colors may skip
- Nibs may become scratchy over time
7. Best For Crafting: Uni-Ball Signo Broad Point White Ink Pen
Uni white pigment pens come in a set of five and are ideal for making birthday and Christmas cards or art journaling. They allow you to draw precise and accurate lines. For writing comfort, each pen includes a form-fitting rubberized grip. The pens are ideal for delicate writing. Each pen comes with a sturdy cap to ensure ink safety.
- Scratch-free tip
- Does not skip or bleed
- May run out of ink quickly
- May not be quick-drying
8. Best Fast-Drying: Vickay White Ink Pen
Vickay White Ink Pen kit contains six white fine-dot paint markers. The ink volume is large, and the service life is two times longer than conventional white ink pens. This oil-based paint pen from Japan includes a robust pen barrel and a long-lasting acrylic nib. These top-rated markers feature acid-free, fast-drying, non-toxic, water-resistant, and fade-resistant ink and are ideal for almost all surfaces.
- Anti-roll design
- Equipped with two extra replaceable nibs
- Free-flowing paint
- Writes on glass
- May take some time to get the ink on the nib
- May not be bright enough
9. Best For Illustrations: Modolata White Pens
Modolata pack of six white pens is versatile and ideal for drawing, sketching, and coloring. The size of the fine needle tip is 0.8mm, which makes it suitable for all exquisite illustrations, such as mandala art. These smooth writing pens have a ballpoint tip and gel ink to ensure a consistent flow without breaking.
- Writes well on craft paper
- Non-toxic and safe for all ages
- May not be smudge-proof
- Ink may dry out over time
10. Best Odorless: Tfive White Pen
The Tfive white marker uses chemically stable, lightfast, and quick-drying ink. The oil-based ink is odorless, non-toxic, acid-free, and environmentally friendly. The pen works well on ceramic, plastic fabric, wood, rock, and glass. The diameter of the pen tip is 5mm, which helps you achieve fine precision even on a small surface. This white pen collection includes 12 units in a single pack.
- Water-resistant ink
- Smooth flow
- High coverage
- Comes in a heat shrink film for leak prevention
- May not be suitable for fine detailing
- Paint may fade over time
11. Best For Writing On Wood: BriskLearner White Gel Pens For Artists
BriskLearner white gel pens come in packs of five and ten pens, with two free white pencils. The ink is of high quality and does not clog, block, or dry out. The pen works smoothly on all surfaces, including thick papers, envelopes, wood, and rocks with smooth surfaces. This package contains five different tip sizes of 0.5mm, 0.7mm, 0.8mm, 1mm, and 1.2mm for different shading and drawing methods and complete opacity control.
- Remains bright once dried
- Does not smear or smudge
- Water-based ink
- Instruction guide included
- May not be suitable for drawing over paint
- Cap may be difficult to remove
What To Look For When Buying White Pens?
When choosing a white pen, consider the following factors.
1. Pen tip: There are two types of nibs — felt and metal. Felt tips are ideal for bold strokes, while metal tips are suitable for thin lines.
2. Tip width: Choose between a fine tip and a broad tip. A fine tip helps in detailing, while a broad tip can be used for poster making and signboards.
3. Ink opacity: Opaque ink is more visible, while transparent ink may not be visible.
4. Smudge-proof: The ink should be smudge-proof and not leave behind stains.
5. Pen quality: The pen should be made of metal or high-quality plastic materials, and the grip should be comfortable.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah, our trusted and experienced writer, reviews household and office products extensively. He has compiled this list of the best white pens keeping the needs of people from various walks of life, including artists, designers, caricaturists, researchers, and cartoonists, in mind. He has done extensive research and analyzed several products to bring you this list. Moreover, he has included a buying guide to help you pick the right white pen that meets your requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there any pen with white ink?
Yes, many pens come with different types and shades of white ink. You can choose a white marker, gel, ball, or felt tip pen to write on different kinds of papers and surfaces.
2. What do artists use for white highlights?
Usually, artists use pens with different shades of pigmented white ink to create highlights. They can also use a mix of different colors to get the desired white shade to create appropriate highlights.
3. How do I use a white highlight pen?
You can give a three-dimensional effect to your art with a white highlighter pen and make it look even more realistic. A white pen for highlighting can help you make the critical parts of your work stand out by giving it depth.
4. Are white markers real?
Yes, white markers are a real piece of stationery. These markers come in handy to write on dark surfaces or for blending different colors.
5. What can I use instead of a white gel pen?
You can use a white ball pen, marker, or white paint if you do not have a white gel pen.
White pens are more versatile than you may think. Whether in the medical field, the artistic field, or for studying purposes, white pens or gel pens help highlight important texts and bring life to an artwork. So use our comprehensive list of the best white pens available online to find the one that best fits your requirements. Pick the right pen based on the nib diameter, opacity, level of smudging, drying time, and ink flow for an effortless writing or drawing experience.
Infographic: How To Use White Pens Properly?
White pens are perfect artistic tools to accentuate, brighten up, and add depth to your existing artwork. They bestow a 3D effect when lettering, add accents and highlights to colors, and serve as delicate outliners. Check out the infographic below to learn how to use white pens more efficiently to add a white flair to your drawings.
- Best Colored Pencils For Kids
- Best Writing Boards For Kids
- Best Magnetic Drawing Boards For Kids
- Best Markers To Write On Glass