Driving with the windows down could make the ride enjoyable. However, the strong wind can be a nuisance to others sitting in the car. Especially if there is rain and snow, chances are they will enter and ruin your mood. The best window deflectors are great additions to your car windows. They let you enjoy an open window without worrying about the elements. We have compiled a list of the top-rated window deflectors for your car window. Read on to explore these best-selling options and pick the right one for a fun ride.
Types Of Side-Window Deflectors
There are two main types of window deflectors based on their installation processes.
- Tape-on: These easy-to-install window deflectors include adhesive tape that you can attach to the bottom where the visors connect to the window. They help push out rain and wind without touching the windows. However, they can be challenging to remove and can damage the car paint. A citrus-based cleaner may help with the removal.
- In-channel: The in-channel deflectors do not include any adhesive, and neither require any special hardware. Hence, are safe for the vehicle’s paint. They are less prone to damage and are secured within the window channels. You can easily remove in-channel vent visors with a little force. However, they may be a bit loose, rattle with the wind, and can scratch the window.
Benefits Of Side-Window Deflectors
Window deflectors are beneficial for the following reasons.
- Wind noise reduction: Side-window deflectors redirect wind upwards. So, if you are driving with your windows down, the wind does not get inside, reducing the wind sound.
- De-mist: In winter months, condensation causes windows to fog, reducing visibility. Window deflectors demist the windows and reduce condensation in the car.
- Comfort: They keep the interior warm and dry, improving airflow inside the car and preventing heating up.
7 Best Window Deflectors
1. Best Scratch-Proof: AVS Auto Ventshade In-Channel Ventvisor Side-Window Deflector
Eliminate window and mirror fogging with the four-set side-window deflectors that are specially designed for the 2016-2020 Toyota Tacoma double cab. Their easy in-channel installation gives it a sleek look. The tinted window deflectors are made of reinforced acrylic, making them scratch-proof and UV-resistant. They allow airflow and help prevent rain from entering the vehicle. Check out this video where a reviewer explains how to install this tried-and-tested product.
- Reduces wind noise
- Keeps car cool when parked
- Cut out the smoke and other odors
- Car-wash safe
- Double-sided strips may not have sufficient adhesion
- Red protective tape may be difficult to remove
2. Best Rain- & Wind-Resistant: AVS Auto Ventshade Chrome Ventvisor Side-Window Deflector
The wind deflectors are specially designed for 07-14 Silverado/Sierra 2500HD-3500HD with Crew Cab, 07-13 Silverado/Sierra 1500, 07-13 Avalanche, and 07-14 Yukon XL/Suburban. AVS chrome-plated in-channel vent visors keep rain and wind from getting inside the car. They facilitate air circulation and minimize heat build-up in parked cars. The chrome finish matches the chrome OE trim on vehicles. Explore a reviewer testing the shades in this video to learn more about these in-channel deflectors.
- Removes stale odors from smoke, athletic gear, and pets
- Minimizes wind noise
- Prevents mirror fogging
- Made with impact-resistant acrylic
- Provides hassle-free installation
- May interfere when you roll up the window
- Adhesive may not be as powerful as expected
"I like the straightforward installation process of this window deflector and its ability to stay put. It has kept my car interior dry throughout the year without signs of fading or cracking. I'd purchase it again."
3. Best For Sun Protection: Goodyear Shatterproof In-Channel Window Deflectors For Trucks
Goodyear four-piece visors are shatterproof and provide a sleek look and a streamlined appearance to the vehicle. The premium dark smoke finish matches with different styles and colors of trucks and offers effective sun protection. The installation doesn’t require drilling. This review video will help you understand the in-channel vent visors better.
- Minimizes noise
- Sleek appearance
- Water- and weather-resistant
- Easy to clean
- Has powerful adhesion
- May interfere with window movement
- Instructions may be vague
"I love these in-channel rain guards on my car window. They integrate seamlessly with the vehicle and give it an appealing look. The installation instructions could have been better, but I'm pleased with the purchase."
AVS Auto Ventshade In-Channel Ventvisor Side-Window Deflector
AVS Auto Ventshade Chrome Ventvisor Side-Window Deflector
Best Rain- & Wind-Resistant
Goodyear Shatterproof In-Channel Window Deflectors For Trucks
Best For Sun Protection
|46.88 x 11.88 x 1.88 inches
|46.38 x 14.49 x 2.68 inches
4. Best For Ventilation: Voron Glass In-Channel Extra Durable Rain Guards
Crafted specially for Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks, Voron rain guards are in-channel vent visors. These trusted window deflectors are made of durable polycarbonate material to protect you and your truck from wind, rain, heat, and environmental damages.The four-piece set is easy to install and improves ventilation inside the vehicle.
- Minimizes mirror and window fogging
- Improves ventilation inside
- Adhesion may not be strong enough
- May be a bit thick
"Although installing it is a bit challenging, the end result is worth it. I love its sleek design, especially how it complements my car's exterior. It has been a solid choice for my daily use."
5. Best For Reducing Wind Noise: WeatherTech Side-Window Deflector
Specifically designed for Toyota Tundra models, the OEM-quality window vent deflectors are optically transparent and do not show any exterior tape. As per reviews, these clear window shades keep the windows dry during rain and improve ventilation. The sleek aerodynamic styling can minimize wind noise and requires in-channel installation.
- Minimizes interior heat
- Precision-machined for a custom fit
- Quick and easy installation
- Car-wash safe
- May make noise if dust or dirt is trapped in
- May scratch the windows slightly
6. Best For Glare Reduction: Labwork Window Visor
The four-piece window guards from Labwork are designed for the 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler. These acrylic window visors can reduce glare and enable car parking with vented windows. Liked by many reviewers, these tape-on vent visors protect from wind, minimize noise when driving, and keep rain from entering the car. These rain deflectors require a tape-on assembly and are scratch- and UV-resistant.
- Double-sided tape on installation
- Prevents water drip
- Sticks smoothly
- Easy to install
- May be slightly thin
- May not be compatible with the wrangler SKU
"I'm more than happy by how these rain guards have effectively safeguarded my car interior from rain and moisture despite my cracked windows. Installing them is a breeze, and they blend well with my vehicle's aesthetics."
7. Best Streamlined Design: Clim Art Rain Guards
Clim Art tape-on vent visors or side-window deflectors are designed to fit several popular car models. They can reduce wind noise when driving with the windows down. One of the top window deflectors, these visors help deflect rain and snow and protect the interiors from the bright sun, keeping the car ventilated and cool. The shatterproof visors feature a streamlined design.
- Protects from scratches
- Break- and crack-resistant
- Tools included
- May not prevent water from dripping as expected
- Window may come down due to interference
"My new vent visor fits seamlessly into my car window. Although the installation requires patience, it offers a solid grip once installed correctly. Overall, I'm content with my choice."
How To Choose The Right Window Deflectors?
Here are some tips for choosing the right window deflectors.
- Vehicle: Keep in mind that some deflectors are designed for specific types of vehicles. Ensure the visors you choose are compatible with your vehicle.
- Shape: Ensure the window deflectors are perfectly fit to deflect rain, snow, sunlight, etc.
- Type: Deflectors can be custom-made or universal. Although universal window deflectors are cheaper and popular, they are not long-lasting and may not suit every car. Custom window deflectors are long-lasting and can match the window’s curvature.
- Toughness: Choose sturdy window deflectors to face the harsh elements of nature and withstand damage. These shades should also remain well-placed after several washes. Also, consider options that come with a lifetime warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do window deflectors affect miles per gallon?
Yes, using a window deflector improves miles per gallon (mpg) by reducing condensation, demisting the windows, and allowing the driver to drive more quickly.
2. Do I need to declare window deflectors?
No, you do not need to declare window deflectors to your insurance company. You only need to declare things that change the performance of your vehicle or if you make some very visible changes, such as changing the color of your car.
3. Do window deflectors increase drag?
No, window deflectors do not increase drag. Instead, they reduce drag by deflecting the wind and making your car more aerodynamic.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is a versatile and experienced writer and reviewer, with one of his specialties being automobile products. He has used his specialized knowledge to scour through numerous product reviews to find the best window deflectors for you. Each tried-and-tested product is described in detail along with its compatible vehicle. The article also includes different types and benefits of window deflectors and a buying guide to help you make the right choice.
Now that you have gone through the list of the best window deflectors above, choosing one can be easy. However, the deflectors are designed to suit certain vehicles. Hence, it is essential for you to check all its features before purchasing the product. Double-check the deflector’s shape and type to ensure it is compatible with your vehicle. Lastly, while buying one, ensure it prevents or deflects the rain, snow, or wind from gushing in. We recommend the AVS Auto Ventshade In-Channel Ventvisor Side-Window Deflector for its scratch-proof and car wash-safe design and the Voron Glass In-Channel Extra Durable Rain Guards, which can minimize window fogging and improve ventilation.
Infographic: Advantages Of Window Deflectors
A window deflector protects your car’s interiors from rain and winds. They are easy to install and need no drilling or dismounting of other car parts. Check out the following infographic to learn why a window deflector is necessary.
- Best Window Squeegees For Cleaning
- Best Window Films
- Best Door And Window Alarms
- Best Blinds For Bathroom Windows
- Best Glass Cleaning Cloths