If you are interested in jewelry making, you need several tools, creativity, and imagination to form unique pieces. So, we have compiled a list of the best wires for jewelry making to make your job easier. Crafting jewelry may not be an easy task due to the absence of the right tools. These wires, known to be thick and hard, can transform into any shape and are available in several varieties to give you the desired look. You should consider the wire’s thickness, length, sharpness, and other parameters to choose the right one that suits your needs. So, explore our buying guide and list to learn more.
Our Top Picks
11 Best Wires For Jewelry Making
1. Best Overall: Paxcoo Craft Wire 6 Pack
Paxcoo craft wire is made to suit a wide range of jewelry-making projects. It is made of copper and coated in different colors to suit beads and jewelry. This jewelry-making wire is available in copper, silver, coffee, gold, and black colors, and each roll is 10m long. This 0.5mm (24 gauge) thick wire helps make rings, bracelets, necklaces, jump rings, wire wrapping, earrings, beading, and more.
For someone who is starting with jewelry making or for a professional, this durable wire is easy to work and create. It is easy to shape the wire for different jewelry needs with its right thickness and hardness.
2. Best Easy-To-Bend: Beadnova Craft Wire 5 Pack
Beadnova is another preferred brand for DIY projects. This pack contains five different colored beading wires made of copper. The gold, silver, copper, black, and rose gold colored wires blend in different beads and metals. With a 0.4mm (26 gauge) thickness, they can easily bend and plie for jewelry making. These beading wires are varnish-resistant that makes them durable and long-lasting.
The pack also includes a cutting plier that you need for a quick DIY. The round-shaped cord helps create bracelets, earrings, neckpieces, pendants, and rings.
3. Best Non-Corrosive: Pandahall Elite Aluminium Craft Wire 10 Pack
Pandahall artistic wire is made of aluminum and is flexible to bend into different shapes. It is of size 0.8mm (20 gauge) and is soft enough to bend with your hand and hard to break. It is lightweight, non-corrosive, and durable.
The pack contains beading wires of ten different lustrous metallic colors, each 5m. You can create various jewelry, such as bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and rings. These wires are also perfect for beads of different colors, wire weaving, and other crafts, including sculpting and wrapping. If you need a stronger and thicker wire, you can try twisting two wires together to make a single wire.
4. Best Tarnish-Resistant: Beadsmith Tarnish Resistant Craft Wire
The gold craft wire from Beadsmith is round-shaped and is made of 99.99% copper core. It is tarnish-resistant and is free from lead and nickel. The spool contains ten yards of wire and is of size 1.02mm (18 gauge). This half-hard wire is durable and is useful for jewelry making, wire wrapping, and other craft projects.
5. Best Versatile: Anezus Jewelry Wire
Anezus jewelry wire is packaged with a sturdy spool, making it convenient to take the metal craft wire out for easy and mess-free organizing. It is made of silver-plated copper with tarnish-resistant coating. The artistic wire is approximately 0.8mm in diameter (20 gauge) and 82 feet in length. The jewelry wire is easy to bend and works with different types of beads, necklace, bracelet, and other jewelry DIY projects.
- Easy to cut
- Flexible and versatile
- Shiny and durable
- Available in other colors
- Might not be thin enough for smaller beads
- Might be a little softer than expected
6. Best Malleable: Craft Wire Aluminum Wire
Whether jewelry making or wire sculpting, this aluminum wire is all you need to work your imagination. This aluminum wire from Craft Wire is 0.8mm (20 gauge) thick and 10m long. It is available in different colors and is soft and flexible to bend into the desired shape. This crafting wire is also suitable for wire wrapping, framing, beading, and more.
- Thick electroplating
- Easy to cut
- Easy to use
- Shiny and durable
- Might be thinner than expected
- Coating may chip away with use
7. Best Easy-To-Cut: Owlbbabies Jewelry Wire
The jewelry wire set by Owlbbabies is made of copper and is tarnish-resistant. It helps create beautiful jewelry and other DIY projects. The pack contains three rolls of craft wire in three colors– silver, gold, and rose gold. These jewelry wires are approximately one mm (18 gauge) in diameter and 4.9 feet (1.5m) per roll. The gauge wire is strong enough to hold its shape well, but malleable enough to shape with hands or tools. You can create rings, bracelets, earrings, pendant wrapping, and more.
- Deep and rich-looking colors
- Fine and durable
- Easy to use
- Might be a little difficult to secure stones in place
- Gold wire might be a little thicker than silver and rose gold
8. Best Easy-To-Cut: Huwujiu 500 Loops Memory Beading Wire
DaKuan jewelry-making wire is made of bare copper and is tarnish-resistant. The pack contains beading wires of ten colors, each of length 10m and a thickness of 0.4mm (26 gauge). These are easy to bend and shape for beading and jewelry making. With this fine and durable wire, you can create rings, bracelets, earrings, pendant wrapping, and more.
- Round cord shape
- Flexible and easy to mold
- Holds shape well
- Comes with a pair of cutting plier
- May be thinner than expected
- Some may find it slightly soft
9. Best Flexible: NX Garden 100 Loop Jewelry Making Wire
Unlike other wires on the list, this jewelry-making wire comes in individual loops suitable for making bangles and bracelets. You can cut the loops into the desired length and make them more flexible to create different sizes and ideas. This value pack contains loops of white, silver, gold, ancient bronze, and KC gold, each having 100 pieces. The diameter of each loop is 60mm and has a thickness of 0.6mm (22 gauge). These loops are soft and flexible to bend with hand and cut with pliers. The wire loops are ideal for different jewelry, military models, frames, floral arrangements, beaded bracelets, etc.
- Made of alloy steel
- Quick and easy to use
- Shiny and sturdy
- Polished finish
- Coating might chip a little with rough use
- Might be thinner than expected
10. Best Durable: Benecreat Permanently Colored Wire
Benecreat jewelry making wire is made from copper that is flexible to bend, malleable, and tough. It does not break easily by twists and can be broken down into the desired length with pliers. This tarnish-resistant copper wire is permanently colored and doesn’t fade away over time. The 0.3mm (28 gauge) thick wire works fine for making different jewelry, including wrapping of gems, pendants, rings, beading, earrings, and bracelets. The 100m long wire comes with a spool that is easy to use and store. There is a wide range of color choices to suit different jewelry materials.
11. Best Rust-Proof: AIEX Craft Wire 6 Pack
Made of bare copper wire, this jewelry making wire from AIEX is rust-proof and durable. The thickness and flexibility make it a good choice for creating different jewelry and DIY projects. The size of the jewelry wire is 0.4mm (26 gauge), and the pack includes six rolls of five colors of length 9m. The colors included are gold, silver, bronze, rose gold, and black.
How To Choose The Right Wire For Jewelry Making?
Here are some tips to help you buy a wire for jewelry making.
1. Wire thickness: Choose the thickness of the wire based on your purpose. If you buy a thin wire for a piece of heavy jewelry, it leads to sagging of the wire over time. On the contrary, if you buy a thick wire for delicate jewelry, you may not get the desired shape because too thick wires are hard to bend and shape.
2. Flexibility and hardness: Look for a flexible wire to take shape into different curves and bends. Check the hardness of the wire, whether it is full-hard, half-hard, or dead soft wire. Full-hard wires are hard to bend but could be a good choice if you want to build solid jewelry to retain shape. Half-hard wires are ideal for beginners as they are flexible and easy to work with. Dead soft wires are suitable for delicate and lightweight jewelry but not a perfect choice if you are looking for a wire that retains the shape.
3. Material: There are different types of wires made from copper, aluminum, sterling silver, memory wire, tiger tail, and brass.
- Copper wire could be an affordable wire and is easy to work for a beginner.
- Sterling silver wire is a little expensive but well worth it for the look of silver it gives you.
- Aluminum is dead soft in hardness and could be a good choice for lightweight jewelry.
- Brass could be an ideal option for beginners.
- Tiger tail wire is also a popular choice among jewelry makers for its durability and unique look. It is sturdy and comes in different colors.
4. Wire shape: The most standard shape is the round shape. Half-round wires are used to create connections and banding with the square wire. Square wires can be used for creating a versatile look and connections. Twisted wires help you give more strength to the jewelry. Choose the shape of the wire based on your purpose.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Crafting jewelry may be difficult without the correct equipment, and picking the right wires for jewelry making is as crucial as thinking about the design since it will give your work the right shape. Therefore, we have compiled a list of the best wires for jewelry making after analyzing and comparing numerous products online. We’ve also included product descriptions and a buying guide to help you figure out what you need in terms of wire thickness, flexibility, sturdiness, and material and wire form so that you can bring your ideas to life.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What wire will not tarnish?
Look for a wire that is coated with an anti-tarnish finish. Argentium sterling silver wire is the best for high-end jewelry, as it is a tarnish-resistant alloy.
2. Is copper wire safe for jewelry?
Yes, copper wire is malleable and has extreme durability while being cost-effective. This is also the ideal choice for beginners.
3. Can you use welding wire for jewelry?
No, welding wire is not ideal for jewelry making. You may try using it for fun DIYs, but it is not recommended for professional use.
4. What gauge wire will hold its shape?
18 to 22-gauge wires are sturdy enough to hold the shape, but you may go for thicker wire gauge as per your needs.
Finding the right tool is the hardest thing when it comes to crafting jewelry. Although you have the right design in your mind, you need the best tools to execute it and craft adorable jewelry. Listed above are some of the best wires for jewelry making available in the market. We have considered factors like thickness of wire, flexibility and hardness, material quality, the shape of the wire, and others before shortlisting the products.
View Profile ›