The charm and appeal of a beautiful wooden doll house is beyond being a plaything. After all, an intricately built wooden doll house is a piece of art where children can indulge in some creative and imaginative play. So, the best wooden dollhouse can give your little ones an immersive experience where they escape into a world of imagination and fantasy. Traditionally meant for girls, there’s nothing stopping you from getting a doll house, even for little boys in today’s world.
As your children play and decorate their pretty doll house, you can proudly show off their creative efforts as a parent. You can also encourage them to be as creative to deck up their imaginary castle. And don’t forget to take part yourself too to enjoy this journey of putting together a charming doll house. We have curated some of the best-selling wooden doll houses that you can bring home to your children in this post.
13 Best Wooden Doll Houses
1. Best Durable: KidKraft Chelsea Wooden Doll House
This spectacular wooden doll house comprises 5 rooms, 3 levels, and a balcony, as well as windows that open and close. It also features 2 molded plastic staircases, 16 accessories, and 17 pieces of furniture like a bunk bed, dresser, stools, and many more. It can be used for fashion dolls that are up to 5 inches tall, including figurines and collectibles, making it a trusted choice of parents. Measuring 25 x 13 x 28 inches, it’s big enough that several children can play with it at the same time. This video review will help you learn more about the product.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Child-safe paint
- Ideal for children above the age of 3 years
- Some may find it difficult to assemble.
2. Best Solid Wood Construction: Hape All Seasons Wooden Doll House
Completely furnished, this skill-building doll house is beautifully designed and will give your child umpteen opportunities to use their imagination, creativity, fantasy storytelling, and role play. It features 6 complete room furniture sets and appliances so that your dolls can relax or work wherever they want— the cozy garrett, a master bedroom, the family bathroom, the media room, the kitchen, and the living room. It also features a reversible solar paneled roof and moving parts so that your child can decorate and arrange the house just as they like. Constructed with wood sourced from environmentally sustainable forests, it is vibrantly colored with non-toxic child-safe paint. This doll house also teaches important social skills like cooperation, communication, friendship, trust, and language development. This review video will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Comprises 3 storeys
- Open face style
- Solid wood construction
- Extremely durable
- Recipient of several awards
- The stairs may be a little flimsy.
3. Best Foldable: Melissa & Doug Fold And Go Wooden Doll House
Ignite a sense of wonder in your child with this portable mini wooden doll house. This delightful doll house comes along with 2 wooden flexible figures and 11 pieces of wooden furniture. The doll house opens so that your child can access all parts of it easily, and also folds into a compact piece for convenient transport and storage, making it one of the best-selling doll houses. Comprising 2 storeys, kids can open and close doors, arrange furniture, and interact with the 2 wooden figures, thus encouraging storytelling, imagination and creativity as they learn about different shapes like squares, rectangles, and more, and develop fine motor skills.
- Comes fully assembled
- Sturdy handles for carrying
- Encourages hands-on activity
- Measures 12.5 x 7.5 x 10 inches
- Suitable for children between 3 to 6 years
- Some feel the wood could be sturdier.
4. Best Safe: Top Bright Wooden Doll House
Spark your kid’s imagination and creativity with this doll house that features 3 storeys with 5 rooms,1 balcony, and 12 intricate pieces of furniture. Made of natural wood, It includes a living room, kitchen, bathroom, balcony, bedroom, and even an elevator, and is suitable for 4-inch dolls. Children learn role play as they set up the house and play imaginative games. As per reviews, all the wooden edges are extremely smooth with no sharp corners or splinters, making it safe for children. A true companion for kids, this doll house keeps them active, happy, develops social skills, stokes the imagination, and develops cognitive skills. Watch this video to get a detailed review of the tried-and-tested product.
- Tough and durable wood
- Ideal for 3-year olds and above
- Complies with U.S. ASTM and European toy safety standards
- Some may find it difficult to assemble.
5. Best Detailed: Milliard Doll House
Watch your kids squeal with excitement as they look at this awesome doll house that is 2.5 feet tall and 2 feet wide. It features 3 storeys, 6 rooms, and a balcony as a bonus. Perfect for dolls measuring between 4 to 6 inches, it includes 20 pieces of furniture with different fabrics and colors. The age-appropriate furniture is adorable with brilliant decorative detailing so that it looks extremely realistic and will keep kids engaged for hours. It comes with a color manual that gives detailed instructions and pictures so that it can be set up in no time at all.
- Sturdy wooden construction
- Light pastel shades
- Encourages creativity and imagination
- Complies with all US toy safety regulations
- Roof comes in 2 pieces, leaving a gap
6. Best For Fine Motor Skills: Rolife DIY Miniature Doll House Kit
This highly innovative and artistic DIY kit includes wood, paper, fabric, pigment, clay, glue, and tweezers. The time-tested mini dollhouse is exquisitely made, and the small little accessories can be cut, painted, and stuck by your child. The furniture is cut precisely and fit together, while the LED lights, ornaments, and plants give it a very realistic look. It’s a great way for teenagers and adults to spend time together as they work with their hands using their artistic skills. It develops and boosts hand-eye coordination, attention span, concentration, and spatial skills.
- Enhances creativity
- Boosts fine motor skills
- Helps to relieve stress
- Detailed instructions
- Suitable for children above the age of 14 years
- May only serve to be a collectible
7. Best Portable: Pidoko Kids Skylar Doll House
The time-tested Skylar doll house doesn’t differentiate between boys and girls, and is painted in fresh, gender neutral colors. It comes along with 20 detailed accessories, 5 dolls with bendable arms, and an adorable pet dog, and is the perfect way to encourage imaginative role play, cognitive skills, and creativity. This premium-quality handcrafted doll house has detailed interior design, while the structure has detachable stairs and enables easy moving.
Almost 24 inches in height, this doll house measures 10.2 x 19.3 inches. This doll house is ideal for enhancing eye-hand coordination, and fine motor skills, reasoning, communication, and intellectual thinking. Cleverly constructed, there are no rough edges, splinters, or sharp corners, and will keep children busy and involved for hours. This open-sided wooden dollhouse allows several children to play together, making it entertaining.
- Easy assembly
- Strong, sturdy, sustainable wood
- Non-toxic paint
- Easily portable
- Child-safe materials
- Some of the drilled holes may be misaligned.
8. Best For Stimulating Creativity: NWFashion Miniature Doll House
Measuring 17 inches in height, 9.5 inches in length, and 6.5 inches in width, this gothic-style wooden doll house comes in a DIY kit. With many positive reviews, children can unleash their artistic and creative skills as they assemble the 6 rooms and paint the doll house. There are pictures and videos to guide you while assembling it, and should take 2 to 5 hours to complete. The pieces of the doll house have to be fixed together like a 3D puzzle and pose a fun challenge for children. Safe to play with, it does have some small parts, so parental supervision is required.
- Durable wood
- Enhances fine motor skills
- Suitable for children above 7 years
- Does not carry written assembly instructions
9. Best Vibrant: O.L Surprise! OMG House Of Surprises
Measuring 4 x 4 feet with 4 storeys and 10 rooms, this wooden doll house comes packed with 85 surprises. It includes a bedroom, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, living room, rooftop patio, pool, movie theater, diner, and more. Your child is simply going to love the replaceable, battery-operated lights of the firepit on the rooftop patio, the working elevator and spiral slide that fits 2 to 3 dolls, the dishwasher, and so much more. Water can be poured into the pool and children can enjoy the adorable collectibles. This best-selling, multilevel doll house also features a drive-in and drive-thru. Perfect for creative and imaginative play for children, it will keep them entertained for hours.
- Durable and sturdy
- Non-toxic paint
- Vibrant colors
- Ideal for children between 4 to 7 years
- May be difficult to assemble
10. Best Customizable: Hey! Play! Doll House
This classic and timeless wooden doll house for kids with 2 storeys comes with doll accessories and furniture so your child can start playing right away. Crafted with plain plywood, they can be customized and painted or wallpapered according to your personal taste. According to the reviewers, the front and sides are open for easy access to both the floors so that furniture and dolls can be placed easily and personal touches can be added. Measuring 15.75 x 11.5 x 15 inches, it requires to be assembled.
- Encourages creativity and imagination
- Hones storytelling skills
- Boosts spatial learning and organization skills
- Suitable for kids 3 years and above
- Some feel the middle walls could be sturdier.
11. Best For Firing Imagination: Giant Bean Goli Wooden Dollhouse
Measuring 31.5 x 25 x 12.2 inches and weighing 17.3 pounds, this doll house features 6 rooms and 3 storeys. It includes a bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom, study room, and a balcony. It also includes 3 dolls and 15 pieces of furniture, and its half open roof gives easier access to the furniture inside as well as a better view. The bedroom light and doorbell can be turned on, and the elevator also can go up and down. The furniture is movable, allowing children to use their imagination as they set up the house. Crafted with natural solid wood for durability, the doll house can be used for many years.
- Comes with an instruction manual for assembly
- Follows all international safety standards
- Suitable for children between 3 to 8 years
- Some may find the assembly tedious.
12. Best Large-Sized: AmazonBasics Wooden Doll House
This tried-and-tested adorable doll house is sure to capture any child’s imagination with its 4 levels, 8 rooms, rearrangeable furniture, smooth-lift manual elevator, and balcony. Sustainable and strong, it’s crafted with FSC-certified wood for sustainability and strength. Measuring 47.24 x 12.2 x 52.95 inches, this large wooden doll house is suitable for dolls up to 12 inches tall. Beautifully colored and decorated, kids can create lovely childhood memories while furnishing and rearranging the different rooms with the accessories that are included.
- Durable wood
- Weighs 43 pounds
- Boosts creativity and imagination
- Suitable for kids above 1-year of age
- May not be suitable for smaller spaces
13. Best Educational: Qaba Wooden Doll House
This amazingly designed MDF pine wood doll house with its rich structure has its own courtyard and features beautiful colors that match the various accessories that come with it. Playing with it develops intelligence, fine motor skills, cognitive skills, hands-on ability, creativity, counting skills, and imagination in children. Parents and children can also enjoy a good interaction as they play together. Complete with a table, 2 chairs, a sofa, bed, bathtub, stool, dressing table, piano, piano stool, wardrobe, toilet, and kitchen, it provides endless fun for children. Measuring 33.75 x 11.75 x 34.25 inches, the doll house has a smooth surface, with no sharp corners or edges.
- Child-safe material
- Doubles as an educational toy
- Weighs 27.06 pounds
- Suitable for children above 3 years old
- May take time to assemble
How To Choose The Right Wooden Doll House?
Here are a few tips on what you should look for when choosing one so that your children spend hours in creative play.
1. Dollhouse sizes and scales: The scale, which is the ratio of the size of the doll house to the size of a real house, is the very first thing to keep in mind about any dollhouse. This scale is represented by 2 numbers, separated by a colon or slash. A doll house which mentions a scale of 1/10 or 1:10 would be exactly 1/10th of the size of the real house. So, the larger the second number, the smaller the dollhouse will be. The scale is important because all dolls and accessories that are designed for doll houses are made to a certain scale.
If you are buying new accessories for a 1:10 scale doll house, you want to make sure that the furniture is also designed to a 1:10 scale. A 1:4 or 1:6 scale, sometimes referred to as playscale, are a large size of doll houses that are easy for toddlers to play with. Because of their larger size, they may not be too detailed or appropriate as a collectible or for display.
A 1:12 scale is sometimes referred to as a 1-inch scale, and is the most popular way to size a doll house because it’s very simple to convert 1-inch to 1-foot. Due to the metric system, the 1:12 scale is more appropriate for some countries than others, in which case, a scale of 1:10 may be used instead.
2. Construction material: Wooden toys are gaining popularity rapidly because it’s less toxic and more sustainable than many oil-based plastic toys. Doll houses often have a solid wood construction where the components are carved out of whole pieces of wood. Such doll houses are less toxic and sturdier than manufactured wood. Fabricated wood is more common, where wooden scraps are broken down and processed into different shapes. Fabricated wood is real wood in which some other elements may have been added while processing it. Such wood is non-toxic and a lot less expensive than solid wood.
3. Furniture and accessories: The furniture and accessories are what bring the doll house to life. There are thousands of scale sized accessories that are available for doll houses. While getting accessories and furniture for a doll house, you just need to ensure that they are the same scale as the doll house. Most doll houses do not include dolls, without which the house won’t be much fun, so do add a few scaled dolls while shopping.
4. Layout: As dollhouses come in a lot of different sizes, you need to consider where it is going to be set up and where it will be stored when not in use. As wooden doll houses are not easy to assemble or disassemble, this is a very important consideration. Usually, the front to back width of doll houses does not exceed 24 inches.
5. Other factors: The age of your children is another important consideration while choosing a doll house, and should not have any small, detachable parts that they can choke on. You can also choose between doll mansions, fold-and-go, high rises, modern and traditional doll houses, though they all stimulate kids’ imaginations.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose, an experienced writer and reviewer, has many articles to her credit where she talks about kids’ toys and gifts. Her experience enables her to understand the nuances of a product. With her deep knowledge and research skills, she has curated a list of the best wooden dollhouses that can transport your children to an amazing world of creativity and imagination. Also, go through the purchasing guide and frequently asked questions for a seamless buying experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are dollhouses exclusively for girls?
Traditionally, that’s what has been the common belief—dolls are for girls and cars are for boys—but that perception is fast changing. Toymakers too have realized that every child is different and unique, and doll houses aren’t reserved for girls. Many beautifully designed doll houses are painted in neutral colors, making them gender-neutral toys that are appealing to both boys and girls, instead of the usual bright pink doll houses. These neutral colored houses look more realistic and less gender-specific, and both boys and girls happily play with them.
2. Are dollhouses hard to put together?
This is usually one of the most common complaints when it comes to assembling modern doll houses. Though they do come with instructions, the steps can be rather confusing and complicated. Some brands include online assembly videos, so that it becomes easier and faster.
Wooden dollhouses have a unique charm and are fun for toddlers as they help them escape into their world of imagination while boosting their cognitive skills and creativity. To choose the best wooden doll houses, pick one that will fit into your little one’s playspace and does not have sharp edges. Further, check if it is BPA-free, has non-toxic paint, and is age-appropriate. Also, check if the dollhouse is odorless and made from high-quality wood with trusted certifications. Finally, ensure adult supervision while the little one plays if it contains small parts that may be a choking hazard.
Infographic: Benefits Of Wooden Doll Houses
Wooden dollhouses are more than just children’s toys. A doll house can teach children numerous social, emotional, and behavioral skills. Go through the infographic to learn about the skills imparted when playing with a doll house.
- Social Emotional Wellbeing