Keep your child’s skills sharp and honed during holidays with some of the best workbooks for 2nd graders available online. These educational workbooks are fun, engaging, and convenient solutions to keep your little learner mentally stimulated. They are ideal for carrying around during a vacation and act as excellent educational tools for children participating in remote learning. They also let you carry out an in-depth examination of their skills through various activities and tests.
Elizabeth Daly, a State-certified high school English teacher and book blogger, says, “Supplemental workbooks can help children improve their problem-solving and critical thinking skills. These workbooks also make learning more interactive and allow children to work independently.”
These tried-and-tested workbooks contain exciting topics such as STEM, illustrations, and puzzles. Some even feature coloring sections, which keep your child engaged and act as great confidence builders and learning tools. We have created a list of popular workbooks for second graders after considering firsthand reviews from parents. Choose the one that you feel will work great for your child.
10 Best Workbooks For 2nd Grade
1. Best For Self Learning: School Zone Big Second Grade Workbook
This workbook for 2nd graders offers 320 pages of pure fun and learning for your child. It has 299 fun activity pages and 21 pages with answer keys with sections for parents’ notes. Measuring 7.75 x 10.75 inches, it has a glossy and durable cover and colorful illustrations suited for kids to easily comprehend the topics. The tests cover topics like math, science, writing, reading, vocabulary, and graphing, and the targeted skill is mentioned at the bottom of every page. It also features visual clues and simple directions to boost self learning. Skills and concepts carefully progress from easy to more complex as they build on one another. The pages are perforated and can be easily torn out for individual worksheets.
2. Best For Developing Math Skills: Golden Books Math Skillbuilders (Grade 2 & 3) Step Ahead
Keep up with the classroom with this teacher- and parent-recommended math book for 2nd grade to test and enhance your child’s math skills. Comprising 64 pages, this deluxe edition has over 70 beautifully colored stickers to make it more attractive to children. Planned by teachers, it perfectly complements the school syllabus and is full of interactive and engaging activities which is sure to provide a very positive learning experience to your child. They can practice addition and subtraction and learn about greater than and less than as well as money and fractions.
3. Best For Learning Spellings: Modern Kids Press Sight Words & Spelling Workbook
Let your child forge ahead with this spelling book for 2nd graders that teaches them how to spell common sight words and write them. This makes a perfect reading foundation which your child can later expand on, and learning more complex words will become that much easier later on. Word tracing together with adorable designs and engaging activities help them to learn basic spelling and writing activities. Magical animals keep your child creatively engaged and encouraged. Comprising 93 pages, the 2nd-grade book features a premium matte cover and measures 8.5 x 11 inches. It’s printed on high quality paper that is practically sized for your child’s small hands.
4. Best For Skill-Based Activities: Spectrum 2nd Grade Level Spelling Workbook
Give your baby a head start with spellings with this spelling book for 2nd graders that comprises 208 pages with 32 lessons. It focuses on spelling practice and covers topics like family words, number words, consonant sounds, vowel sounds, plurals, contractions, words ending in -ed and -ing, homonyms, sight words, commonly misspelled words, and more. It also includes lesson reviews, a dictionary, and an answer key, and builds vocabulary and other essential skills so that they can spell confidently. Every test builds and reinforces spelling skills by taking up a specific concept. The skill-based activities are engaging and fun and include word puzzles, brainteasers, and word scrambles to promote understanding, and to enhance their skill in core reading concepts. Have a look at this video to learn more about the product.
5. Best For Improving Accuracy: Channie’s One Page A Day Triple Digit Math Practice
Bring out the mathematician in your child by honing their math skills with this math book for kids that has 50 pages with 24 problems on each page. It features double-sided sheets with color coded blocks, strong visuals, and the pages are perforated so that you can tear them off easily. It’s the perfect tool to practice triple digit math problems in addition and subtraction to improve accuracy and test their skills. The bottom digits are shaded green to clearly demarcate them from the answer, and the answer sheet can be downloaded on Amazon. The blocks are large and the numbers are clearly spaced and lined up so that your child can focus on calculations and independent work. Here is an informative video that tells you more about this 2nd-grade book.
6. Best For Developing Reading Skills: 180 Days Of Reading For Second Grade – Christine Dugan
This 248-page 2nd grade workbook enhances phonics practice and basic reading skills, is suitable for both the school classroom and home, and is created by teachers so that your child learns challenging concepts. It includes age-appropriate lessons and reading activities for the complete 180-day school year which include simple spelling, foundational words, reading comprehension, and simple sentence writing. It works perfectly for homeschooling parents to improve students’ reading comprehension. Each page has a scoring guide to keep track of your child’s progress and assess their understanding of concepts. The diagnostic-based activities include both fiction and nonfiction passages and includes data-driven assessment tips, and a CD with electronic versions of the daily activities.
7. Best Illustrated: Sky Pony Press The Best And Biggest Fun Workbook For Minecrafters
This 356-page workbook for 2nd graders uses kids’ favorite games to encourage them to learn the principles of reading, writing, math, spelling skills, social studies skills, and even STEM skills. It features the favorite video game settings and characters of kids to encourage them to learn. The pages are colorfully illustrated to bring their video games and their characters to life so that kids happily do the tasks. The book includes a number of practice pages to test various essential skills in different subjects, prepare children for the next grade, and provide extra practice for skill development.
8. Best For Daily Practice: 180 Days Of Reading, Math And Writing 2nd Grade – Christine Dugan
This bundle of three workbooks for 2nd graders provides daily practice activities to enhance word study skills and reading comprehension, writing proficiency, and mathematical acumen. They help with regular practice for students through these rigorous tests that span reading, writing, and math. It includes a number of fiction and nonfiction passages, guidance through the five steps of writing through theme-based units, and activities tied to mathematical concepts. This gives kids daily practice through the year in each subject, creates a learning routine, and builds their confidence. It works on the framework of practice, assess, and diagnose, and offers very comprehensive learning to kids.
9. Best For Beginners: Channie’s One Page A Day Single Digit Multiplication Practice Workbook
Foster your child’s mathematical skills with this math book for 2nd grade that is double-sided, color coded, has strong visual colors, and easy to tear off pages. It’s ideal for beginners who need to practice single digit multiplication daily for accuracy as well as children receiving special education. This academic workbook features 25 single digit addition, subtraction, and multiplication sums on every page with uniform size, large blocks, and a green shade to separate the problem from the answer. Visual spacing lines help kids to write straight, keep the size of their numbers consistent, and use proper spacing.
10. Best For Handwriting Practice: Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power Student Workbook
This workbook for 2nd graders has activity pages along with instructions on handwriting as well as practice writing on single lines. It also features fun activity pages on punctuation, poems, paragraphs, and language arts for engaging practice sessions. The material is developmentally appropriate, hands-on, fun, and engaging with age-appropriate instructions to enable children to master handwriting very comfortably and almost automatically. Children learn to print and then master it with the help of practice pages.
How To Choose The Right Workbooks For 2nd Graders?
Keep these factors in mind when choosing a workbook for your child to ensure a fun learning experience.
- Age- and grade-appropriate: Whether your child is using workbooks at home in tandem with school or whether it’s online classes or going to school physically, or just keeping in touch with the curriculum on vacation, the most important thing to keep in mind is how they learn best and their academic level. A workbook is useless for them if it’s not at an appropriate learning level. Usually workbooks mention the grade for which their content is appropriate, and it’s also a good idea to check reviews, and maybe even have a chat with your child’s teacher. This will give you a better perspective of your child’s academic prowess and help you decide whether you need to upgrade or downgrade their activity book.
- Fun and engaging: Making learning fun and engaging can keep your child interested in the learning process. Learning has to be entertaining or your child will be bored in no time. Look for a fun book that has more to offer than just tests and learning topics, as that will keep your child focused. Workbooks that have activities, exercises, and games that children can participate in will keep their interest in learning alive.
- Variety: Workbooks should ideally have different kinds of interesting activities or exercises as that will keep your child wondering what they will be up against next and acts as a reward. Activities like coloring or a map quest gives them a much required break from tough learning while still teaching them. There are also workbooks with themes that include your child’s favorite game or show while teaching them certain concepts.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is reading important in the second grade?
By this grade, children are already well-versed with words, numbers, shapes, etc. They are now school-going children who need to practice what they learn and learn a little bit more apart from what’s taught in the classroom to get good grades, develop confidence, and improve vocabulary to express themselves better.
2. How long should a second grader read each day?
The reading duration may vary as per the child’s interest, requirements, and schedule. Apart from the school curriculum, reading for 15 to 60 minutes per day could be helpful for most children (1).
3. What should I expect from a second grader in terms of reading skills?
Although every child is unique and their reading milestones may differ, in general, most children by the age of seven or eight years:
- Begin reading longer books independently
- Read aloud with adequate expression
- Spell many words correctly
- Learn new words with the help of context and pictures as well
- Begin to understand basic humor (2)
A lot depends on the type of books the child is exposed to and with what frequency. Also, children who receive systematic phonics instruction at a young age could read more fluently than others who don’t (3).
4. How should I help my child who is struggling with reading?
Although the solution may lie in the reasons or causes of their struggle, you could refer to a teacher or a child development specialist for a precise answer. Reading out to your little one could improve their reading and cognitive skills to a certain extent (4).
5. Do workbooks help a second grader?
Workbooks are not only engaging but can also help the child learn new concepts in a fun manner, allow them to practice what they have learned in school, and at times, develop their analytical skills via solving puzzles and mazes.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Wedetso Chirhah is a children’s product and book reviewer who is passionate about researching and reviewing new products and unique innovations that can make his readers’ lives more convenient. Here, after conducting a rigorous assessment of the content and user reviews, he highlights the best workbooks for 2nd-graders. These workbooks are fun, engaging, and convenient to use. He has thoroughly researched and followed the highest editorial standards while curating this list. Wedetso has also included a buying guide to help you choose the right book.
If your children love spending time sharpening their skills, consider providing them with various workbooks. These books will broaden their educational exposure and encourage them to think on multiple levels. Our list of the best workbooks for 2nd grade thus comprises books focusing on math, spelling, reading, and other skills. Always choose books based on your child’s interest and age and how engaging the books are. However, do not overwhelm them with all the books together, but introduce the skills one by one. With time, children will understand their likes and dislikes and make learning a fun experience.
Infographic: What Are The Various Kinds Of Workbooks For 2nd Graders?
Workbooks tailored for second graders provide engaging activities that complement their educational journey beyond school hours. Familiarizing yourself with the workbook categories can assist in choosing the most suitable option. Explore the infographic below to discover the available types, empowering you to make an informed decision based on your child’s needs.
- National Children’s Reading Habits Study: Understanding The Reading Gap And How To Help Close It:
- Reading Milestones:
- What parents need to know about the research on how kids learn to read
- Reading To Young Children: A Head-Start In Life
- Best Math Workbooks
- Best Workbooks For First Grade
- Best Books For 5 And 6 Year Old Children
- Best Paints For Plastic Toys