A workout bench can be a great buy if you indulge in weight lifting at home. With the right workout bench, you can perform triceps dips, step-ups, and leg lifts conveniently, without spending hefty amounts every month on gym memberships. A flat bench for working out can help you exercise the abs and thighs. It also lets you focus on specific muscles, which could be difficult to exercise in a standing position.
If you’re stocking up on home gym equipment, we’ve got you covered. This post has a list of the best workout benches for a home gym.
Safety Precautions To Take When Using A Workout Bench
Though workout benches are sturdy, you should follow a few precautions to use them safely.
- Every bench has a weight capacity. Always refer to the manual for this feature and restrict the weight applied to the recommended value.
- Use proper technique. It is better to perform the exercises under a fitness coach’s supervision before trying them on your own.
- Do not try to hold your breath as this may cause fatigue and inefficiency when working out.
- It is better not to compromise with cheaper benches. Flimsy construction could lead to fatal injuries.
- Do not overtrain.
Top Products From Our List
13 Best Workout Benches For Home
The basic workout bench from Marcy can be a good pick for beginners. Despite its compact size, it can support 600lb weight. The flat bench surface is comfortable to sit and lie on during most workouts. Due to its lightweight and durable steel body, you can move and store away this high-quality bench when not in use.
- 14 gauge tubing for stability
- Padded for comfort
- Easy to assemble
- Powder-coated finish
- Saves space
- Ideal for performing a wide range of exercises in a compact space
- Height could be small for some
If you’re looking for an adjustable workout bench, the Bowflex range is what you need. It can be altered to six positions per your comfort and bears heavy-duty workout with its durable steel frame. The solid design and firm base ensure the stability of the bench, which can withstand a weight capacity of 650lb. An additional removable leg hold-down offers variation in the workout, and the bench is available in three styles.
- Can be adjusted flat
- Durable framework for heavy weightlifting
- Has a wheel for easy portability
- Padded bench for comfort
- Easy assembly
- Gap between the seat and backrest could be large
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced trainer, this sturdy flat workout bench could be a good investment. It has a smooth top surface that offers comfort and support when you lie on the back. With an ideal height to suit most individuals, the flat bench has a durable steel frame to support most workouts in a compact space.
- High-quality bench with PVC top for comfort
- Easy assembly and maintenance
- One-year warranty
- T-shaped legs for stability
- May not withstand heavy weight
The RitFit portable workout bench has all the necessary features for an effective workout. It is ideal for heavy weight lifting, bench press and has a weight capacity of 510lb. With five backrest positions and a three-position adjustable seat, this bench is what your home gym needs. It also has a soft leather cover with a high-density foam padding for comfort.
- Adjustable positions as per the workout requirement
- Provides a stable base for heavy weightlifting
- Doesn’t require any assembly
- Portable and compact design
- Three-year warranty on full product
- 30-day warranty of upholstery
- Doesn’t have a knee support
The Pasyou adjustable bench has a steel-frame body suitable for most heavy weight lifting workouts. Its adjustable seat and backrest offer versatility to any exercise. The bench can hold 500lb weight, and its ergonomic design makes it a high-quality addition to any home gym.
- High-density foam padded bench for comfort
- Leg cushions to support the knees
- One-pull portable and foldable design
- Adjustable up to seven positions
- Rubber feet for stability and a non-slip grip on surfaces
- Easy to assemble
- May not be suitable for a heavy-duty workout with barbells
For someone looking at portable benches, the Gymenist foldable workout bench can be a good option. It can be moved around as required with just a simple fold. With its six adjustable positions, you can target different muscle groups with ease. It also has an adjustable seat, making it valuable fitness equipment.
- Padded cushions for a comfortable workout session
- Lightweight and sturdy design
- Doesn’t require any assembly
- Endcap can be rotated to prevent wobbling
- Can be flattened for bench press
- Handle for portability
- Hinged design may cause discomfort
The Finer Form multifunctional bench is suitable for larger rooms. This high-quality bench has two extra-long back pads and comes with two declination settings. Its extra padded bench cushions provide comfort during your workout. With its adjustable framework, 660lb weight capacity, and ankle support, the bench lets you perform different exercises such as sit-ups and hyperextensions with ease.
- Heavy-duty steel frame for durability
- Several adjustable positions for a versatile workout
- Can be used in the sit-up, flat, decline, or roman chair styles
- Triangular frame for stability
- Could be heavy
- May not be easy to move around
Designed for heavy workout routines, this chest workout bench from Relife suits most exercise positions such as incline, upright, and flat. Its roller pads with soft foam ensure safety to ankles when performing strenuous workouts. The six-position adjustable seat can help you concentrate on different muscles of the body without any additional equipment.
- Soft leather filled with high-density foam padding
- Adjustable to the height of the user
- Ideal equipment for triceps, shoulder muscles, and chest
- Sturdy steel frame body for durability
- Non-slip rubber feet for stability
- May not be suitable for heavy weight lifting
The adjustable abs workout bench from Magic Fit has a heavy-duty steel frame and is ideal for weight lifting and other strengthening exercises. Its uniquely triangular design provides stability to the bench to withstand a high weight capacity of 600lb. Its ergonomic design and 24 adjustable positions offer versatility to this bench. It is foldable and compact and can be stored away easily when not needed.
- Stable and portable design
- Sweat-absorption ankle roller pads included
- Easy to carry and assemble
- Backrest has high-density foaming for comfort
- Can be used for bench press and weight lifting with a barbell
- Hinge gap might cause discomfort
With a compact design, the foldable workout bench from Soges is ideal for home gyms with little space. It has three adjustable angles to incline the back seat as per the exercise routine. The high-density foam padding provides comfort to reduce any fatigue during workouts. Constructed with a powder-coated steel frame, this workout bench with a weight capacity of 330lb can help you target muscles at your homes with ease.
- Adjustable height
- Seat made of breathable fabric
- Thick frame for increased stability
- Ergonomic design
- May not be suitable for heavy weight lifting
The high-quality fitness equipment from Advenor is a sturdy and durable incline workout bench suitable for intense workouts. With its triangular base design, this bench offers a firm base and has a weight capacity of 800lb. It has an adjustable seat for up to 21 positions and a high-density foam cushion for added comfort.
- Easy-to-operate, adjustable knobs
- Can be placed into the incline, flat, and decline positions to suit workout needs
- Made of premium-quality leather for durability
- Detachable footpad included
- Could sometimes wobble
Built with a heavy-duty steel frame, the Komsurf weight bench is sturdy and durable. It can withstand 500lb weight and has seven adjustable positions. This versatile fitness equipment has back support for a firm hold when bench pressing. As it is foldable and lightweight, the bench can be placed away from the workout zone when not needed.
- Heavy-duty and long-lasting
- Padded bench for a comfortable workout
- Comfortable seat for entire body protection during the workout
- Can be held upright for a compact storage
- Triangular base for stability
- May not provide proper knee support
Combined with a heavy-duty steel frame and high-density foam padded cushions, the fitness equipment from Kitopa offers both stability and comfort during exercises. With a weight capacity of 600lb provided by its triangular base, the workout bench is stable and ideal for full-body workouts. The foldable and compact bench can be stored easily when not needed.
- Comfortable leather backrest
- Can be adjusted to five back positions
- Comes with two detachable foot pads
- Ergonomic and compact design
- Hinge gap may cause discomfort
How To Choose The Right Weight Bench For Your Home Gym?
A weight bench is essential in a gym, even at home. Hence, it must be chosen carefully after considering the following features.
- Style: A weight bench comes in flat and adjustable designs. Both of them are practical options. Adjustable benches offer versatility enabling you to perform multiple exercises on a single piece of equipment but are expensive. On the other hand, flat benches restrict the exercises but are affordable.
- Comfort: A workout bench with a backrest and padded seat offers the most comfort.
- Durability: Flat benches last longer as they do not include hinges. Adjustable benches require additional care and replacements of the movable components for longer life.
- Portability: Foldable and compact design benches can be stored away when not used. These can be safely tucked under your bed or in the car, which benefits those with smaller homes.
- Weight capacity: It is essential to check the weight capacity of benches before purchase as you might want to use them for heavy weight lifting. This range can go from 300 to 1,500lb. The benches with the lowest weight capacity are not safe to perform heavy workouts.
- Assembly: This factor determines the price range. The pre-assembled bench is priced high. So, if you have a limited budget, you can take the non-assembled equipment and fit the parts yourself.
- Height: A height of 17 inches from the base to the top of the bench is ideal for most people. If it goes higher than this, it may be difficult to arch.
- Foam density: Cushions with ample thickness provide comfort and stability during workouts. Extra padding may leave you tired and incapable of performing tasks with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you clean your weight bench?
Wipe out the outer surface of the bench after each workout. You can also mist spray disinfectant on the surface, followed by wiping with a clean cloth.
2. How can I DIY a weight bench and make a weight bench at home?
Building your bench is not recommended as it is expensive and requires experience. If the measurements go wrong, it could result in fatal injuries. If the price is your limiting factor, there are many good quality benches available at an affordable price in the market.
3. Are weight benches safe?
When used correctly with technique, workout benches are safe. Perform the exercises that the manufacturer intended you to do on that model. For more versatility, you can opt for a model with multiple adjustable positions.
4. How to use the weight benches correctly?
The correct usage of a weight bench prevents injuries. This factor depends on the design of the bench. Here are the common steps to consider.
- Adjust the angle of the bench based on your exercise.
- Check the screws before beginning the workout.
- Decide the exercise you want to perform. Remember that this factor depends on the versatility of your equipment.
- You can perform exercises like barbell bench press, dumbbell pullover, dumbbell row, and lying dumbbell tricep extensions with ease on flat benches.
- Adjustable benches can be used for chest supported dumbbell row, seated dumbbell hammer curl, decline bench sit-ups, or reverse crunches.
- Refer to the manufacturer’s manual for the other kinds of exercises your equipment is compatible with.
- Always check the stability and lock of the equipment after setting up the angle.
- Decide the weight to use if performing with any. Also, check if your equipment has the required weight capacity.
- Check the contact points, which are head, shoulders, hip, and feet. These parts should be in touch with the equipment as much as possible, as they prevent wobbling and soreness.
A workout bench deserves the central spot in your gym due to its versatility. We hope you find the best workout benches for home from the options listed above. Consider all the factors before purchasing this fitness equipment as it is a one-time investment.