Once children start scribbling, the chances are that they will start practicing this “art form” on whatever surface they see. Whether it is your house walls or tabletops, you will find their artwork just about anywhere in the house. Thus, the best writing boards for kids can come in handy when letting your children practice writing and scribbling.
Writing boards can be traditional ones accompanied by chalk sticks or electronic ones. Whichever board you prefer, we are here to help you bring home a quality writing board for your little one. Keep scrolling to discover some time-tested and best-selling options to pick the right board for your child.
13 Best Writing Boards For Kids
1. Best Sleek: Kidwill 2-Pack LCD Writing Tablet
The Kidwill LCD writing tablet is a sleek, versatile, easy to use, and eco-friendly tool that can keep children entertained and engaged. It has an 8.5-inch LCD screen allowing children to draw, write, and doodle endlessly. The tried-and-tested tablet doodle board is designed with a durable, pressure-sensitive screen that responds to the slightest touch, giving kids the feeling of writing on paper with a pen or pencil.
- Lightweight design allows easy handling
- Easy to clean
- Great for children learning to write and draw
- Can be a great alternative to traditional paper and pen
- Includes magnet to attach to the metal surface for memo
- Battery may require frequent charging
- Screen may not be waterproof
"These drawing tablets are a quiet, mess-free way to keep my kids entertained. Also, it is easy to carry while on the go. My children found the erase feature easy to use, and these tablets are durable enough to handle rough handling. I would recommend it."
2. Best With Pressure-Sensitive Technology: Sunany LCD Doodle Board
The drawing board educational toy lets your children write and draw on the pressure-sensitive technology screen. It helps boost creativity and thinking skills without any wastage of paper. This portable writing tablet promotes learning and is safe and convenient to use by children of all ages.
- Comes with a built-in battery
- No light or radiation to protect the eyes
- Light, portable, and eco-friendly
- Can be locked and unlocked when required
- Writing may appear a bit dull
- Some may not like the dark display
"The writing tablet's lock feature has kept meltdowns at bay by preventing accidental erases. While the build seems slightly flimsy, the additional battery and pen in the set were a pleasant surprise. Despite some concerns about durability, the device serves its purpose well."
3. Best Wooden: Elk & Bear Double Sided Wooden Art Easel
The wooden whiteboard is a versatile and durable art station for young artists. This safety-tested creative writing easel features a magnetic whiteboard on one side and a chalkboard for children on the other, offering multiple options for drawing and painting. The included tray of this drawing doodle board is ideal for storing markers, paintbrushes, and other supplies.
- Double-sided design allows for multiple activities
- Sturdy wooden frame
- Magnetic feature allows for easy display of artwork or notes
- Can double as a message board
- Easy to assemble
- Adjustable legs for different height settings
- Does not have secured storage for art supplies
- Whiteboard may be unstable
"This easel has been a fun addition to my son's playtime. Its magnetic dual-sided board is great for drawing and learning. However, peeling off the protective film was a bit of a hassle. It is great for young artists, and I like that it folds flat for easy storage."
4. Best With Sounds: VTech Write And Learn Creative Center
The VTech LCD tablet doodle board is ideal for young children to improve their writing and drawing skills. This interactive learning device features a touch screen that teaches children to write letters and numbers in a fun and engaging way. In addition, the center includes interactive games and activities that help children learn how to trace letters and recognize numbers while they play.
- Develops fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Features various learning modes, including letters, numbers, words, and music
- Comes with a stylus for easy writing and drawing
- Alphabet tracing board aids in early learning
- Fun animations and sounds to reward children for their effort
- Writing may be a bit dull
- Button stickers may peel off easily
5. Best Easy-To-Clean: Sgile Magnetic Drawing Doodle Board
This magnetic drawing pad is a fun educational learning toy for children of all ages. With its vibrant colors and magnetic stylus, kids can unleash their creativity and imagination as they draw their hearts out. This colorful doodle board is ideal for expressing oneself through art and helps develop fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and problem-solving skills.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Easy to clean
- Perfect gift idea
- Made of durable material
- Magnetic stylus and eraser
- Magnetic pen may not be as precise
- Board may not have multiple stamps
"This drawing board is a hit with the little ones. The magnetic stamps and colorful drawing options keep them entertained, though the colors aren't as vibrant as shown. It feels slightly flimsy, but the big drawing space and easy-erase function make it worth it."
6. Best Versatile: Boogie Board Jot Reusable Writing Tablet
Keep your life organized in the funniest possible way with this reusable LCD writing tablet that is the perfect choice for making quick lists or leaving notes around the house. You can use them on family game nights to play Pictionary or to teach kids how to write – there’s no end to the number of ways in which this easy-to-use tablet will make life easier. Furthermore, this reusable doodle board is loved by many reviewers and is ideal for encouraging imagination and creativity in your child in a mess-free manner.
- Includes stylus
- Usable with pen, pencil, or fingernails
- Quick Clear technology for instant erasing
- Bright, durable display of 8.5 inches
- Color of the ink may not be as pigmented on the board
- Stylus may not offer proper grip
"Apart from keeping my kid entertained during long trips, this writing tablet is handy when I want to jot down my shopping list. The written text looks slightly faint in low-light conditions, but its convenience more than makes up for that minor issue."
7. Best Compact: Bravokids LCD Writing Tablet
Bravokids LCD Writing Tablet is designed for children of all ages. This electronic writing tablet has a bright, clear screen and an easy-to-use stylus, allowing children to draw, write, and create without needing papers or pens. Use it to keep your child entertained at home or as a handwriting practice tablet to help your little one learn and practice writing skills.
- Allows for easy writing and drawing with the included stylus
- Erase button quickly clears the screen for a fresh canvas
- Durable and shatterproof design
- Compact and lightweight
- Suitable as a birthday gift
- Great for use in classrooms, at home, or on long car rides
- May require frequent battery replacements
- Stylus may be slightly dull
"This drawing tablet has been a good buy. The simple design works great for my kids while on the go. Although the stylus string is a bit short, it is a mess-free way for my kids to practice writing. I like that it is durable and portable and encourages their creativity. Go for it!"
8. Best Portable: Cheerfun LCD Writing Tablet
Cheerfun LCD Writing Tablet is a widely tried-and-tested option that is versatile and eco-friendly. It features a bright, clear LCD screen that allows for smooth and effortless writing and drawing. Further, the pressure-sensitive stylus included with the tablet allows for precise control.
- Durable and long-lasting LCD screen
- Easy-to-use interface
- Erase button allows for quick and easy erasing
- Lightweight and portable
- Battery may deplete quickly
- Screen can be difficult to view in bright light
9. Best Flexible Screen: Flueston LCD Writing Board
A simple scribbling pad for kids, the Flueston LCD writing board is designed for writing, drawing, and doodling. It is durable and offers a smooth screen to doodle. Available in three colors, you can opt for a writing board that your child will love. The magnetic writing board for kids facilitates fun and enjoyable learning.
- Sturdy and durable
- Easy to clear the screen
- Comes with a replaceable brush-pencil
- Has a flexible screen and ‘delete’ key
- Has a hoop to fix the pen
- Images may appear a little faint
- Battery may not be secured properly
10. Best Lightweight: ZBHANTANG LCD Drawing Board
The high-tech writing pad is durable and comes with an upgraded stylus to give your child a smooth, natural writing experience. This graffiti board allows your child to paint, create graffiti, and draft notes. The rainbow-colored ink makes it interesting and encouraging for kids to use the writing tablet for a long time.
- Light and portable drawing pad
- Lock and unlock feature available
- Comes with a special pencil and brush
- Available in three colors, namely blue, yellow, and pink
- Grinding screen offers better tactility
- Red color may not appear as bright
- Might be smaller than expected
"This writing device has considerably reduced the books and stationery I bought for my kids. While it works best under good lighting, it comes in handy during travels and for educational purposes. And it may not save the creations, but it does offer tons of fun."
11. Best Adorable: Haimst Magnetic Drawing Board
The doodle writing pad is designed for toddlers. It comes in two colors, pink and blue. Scribbling on the colorful screen is fun, as is using the three stamps that come with it. This magnetic and colorful doodle board is easy to use and encourages tiny tots to write and doodle on the writing board.
- Light and travel-friendly
- Comes with a handle and a sliding eraser
- Measures 10.4×7.4 inches
- Convenient and fun to use
- Comes well-packed in a box
- Suitable as a birthday gift
- May not be as sturdy
- Stamps may not work as efficiently
"My little one loves this drawing pad. The colors are pretty nice, and it survives drops surprisingly well. He enjoys using the stamps, though I wish they were a little smaller for tiny fingers to hold properly. The handy product has quickly become his favorite travel buddy."
12. Best Easy Operation:Junmao LCD Writing Tablet
The LCD writing board for kids is designed in unique shapes and colors. It is made with quality ABS plastic material that is non-toxic and tasteless. It is powered by pressure-sensitive technology and offers smooth writing or scribbling experience to young children.
- One click helps to clear the screen.
- Has a lock and unlock feature.
- Available in blue, pink, and yellow colors.
- No glare and radiation, safe for kids.
- Eco-friendly educational drawing board.
- Brightness may not be enough
- May not be durable
"This writing device has made it easy for my girl to practice her letter and number writing skills. Its color is slightly less vibrant than how it appears in the photo, but the functionality makes it worth it. Plus, the handles on the side allow easy portability when traveling."
13. Best Educational: Rainbow Toyfrog Magnetic Drawing Board
The creative board is designed for little kids as an educational learning toy. It allows them to explore their creative side when using this board. It has beads that have to be pushed with the stylus to erase the board. This board offers a combination of playing and learning at the same time.
- Lightweight, durable, and portable
- Provides sensory-reinforced play
- Kids can create, design, and draw
- Available in small and big sizes
- Unique and high-quality board
- Beads may get stuck
- Metal beads might make sounds
"The magnet drawing board is a cool find for keeping my daughter engaged. It is great for long car rides and helps enhance her fine motor skills. I wish the stylus came with a string to prevent it from getting lost, but it is still great for open-ended play. I'm satisfied with my purchase."
How To Choose The Best Writing Board?
If you are confused about picking the most suitable writing board for your child, go through the following tips to get some help.
- Age: Of all the writing boards available in the market, some are meant only for toddlers, while others are designed for young children. Toddlers’ writing tablets come with stamps and stencils and are much simpler in design than others. While writing pads for young kids are designed for making notes and learning new words. So, pick a writing pad as per your child’s age.
- Features: It is better to find a writing board for kids that comes with a lot of features, thus making it easier for them to learn and have fun at the same time. Lightweight, kid-friendly, portable, lock function, smooth writing, sensors, and clear screen are some of the common elements to look for.
- Quality: The writing tablet or pad should be made with high-quality material such as ABS, which is non-toxic, odorless, and safe for the children to use. Also, consider materials that can withstand the test of time. Lastly, the batteries should be replaceable and offer a longer shelf life.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do LCD drawing pads work?
Most LCD drawing tablets have a screen with multiple layers that are touch or pressure sensitive. One of these layers contains liquid crystal. When you draw on it, the molecules under the touched areas become active and reflect light. This mechanism makes the drawing visible to your eye.
2. Is an LCD writing tablet safe?
Prolonged and constant use of LCD gadgets isn’t often advised since they emit blue light, which may strain your eyes. The risks can be mitigated by following the 20-20-20 rule. The American Academy of Ophthalmology defines it as “Every 20 minutes, shift your eyes to look at an object at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.” (1). Besides, keep device usage limited to a couple of hours a day for children.
3. What is the use of an LCD writing tablet?
LCD writing tablet doodle boards are nothing but a digital version of a slate or a notebook. Your child can draw or practice writing without going through the ordeal of using dusty, uncomfortable chalks, and they also eliminate the need for an eraser.
4. What battery does an LCD writing tablet use?
Most LCD writing tablets are equipped with built-in CR2025 button batteries that can be easily replaced. Each tablet generally requires one button battery.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is an experienced writer and reviewer in the domain of toys and games and is well aware of what your children would love. In this post, she has saved you the trouble of scanning through innumerable consumer-tested options and has provided a detailed list of the best writing boards for kids, along with a buying guide. She also gives you an insight into the various features of these best-selling educational learning toys and provides tips to help you pick an age-appropriate writing board for your child.
Finding the right writing board for your child can help you keep the walls and other surfaces of the house clean, as they have a dedicated space to scribble. These writing boards also help your child practice tracing letters and numbers. The VTech Write And Learn Creative Center is our best pick, offering an interactive learning experience through animations and sounds. Furthermore, the Sgile Magnetic Drawing Board lets children unleash their creativity with its vibrant colors and magnetic stylus. The Boogie Board Jot Reusable Writing Tablet is another good choice with its bright display and quick-clear technology. Writing boards come in various colors and designs to attract little ones and keep them engaged in a fun way. Invest in a lightweight, portable writing board, and watch them carry it to any room to play.
Infographic: Buying Tips For Children’s Writing Boards
Just like the slates and chalk you used to have earlier, writing boards are digital adaptations for your children to scribble and practice their writing. It can also help your children practice drawing, shapes, and more, making it a valuable educational tool. Look through the infographic below to learn some tips when you buy a writing board for your child.
- Should You Be Worried About Blue Light?
- The “thinking” benefits of doodling