Once children start scribbling, the chances are that they will start practicing this “art form” on whatever surface they see. Whether it is your house walls or tabletops, you will find their artwork just about anywhere in the house. Thus, the best writing boards for kids can come in handy when letting your children practice writing and scribbling.
Writing boards can be traditional ones accompanied by chalk sticks or electronic ones. Whichever board you prefer, we are here to help you bring home a quality writing board for your little one. Keep scrolling and pick the right board for your child.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Writing Boards For Kids
Useful and convenient, this LCD writing tablet helps your child to set no limits to their imagination. It lets them draw, write, learn words and numbers, and doodle all day. The screen has no radiation and protects the eyes even after long use, making it a safe writing board for kids.
- Lightweight and durable.
- Has a kickstand to use as a message board.
- Comes with two magnets, two writing styluses, and two batteries.
- Measures 14 x 21 x 0.5in in size.
- Has one button to erase the screen.
- Batteries can be replaced conveniently.
2. Best With Pressure-Sensitive Technology: Sunany LCD Doodle Board
The drawing tablet lets your children write and draw on the pressure-sensitive technology screen. It helps to boost the kid’s creativity and thinking skills, without any wastage of paper. It promotes learning and is safe and convenient to use by children of all ages.
- Comes with a built-in battery
- No light or radiation to protect the eyes
- Light, portable, and eco-friendly
- Measures 8.7×5.9×0.2in and weighs 5.6oz
- Can be locked and unlocked when required
- Writing may appear a bit dull
- Some may not like the dark display
3. Best With Smart Lock Feature: Leyaoyao LCD Writing Tablet
Your kid can enjoy easy learning on the pressure-sensitive Leyaoyao LCD writing tablet. It’s where kids can give shape to their imagination with beautiful images, numbers, scribbles, and doodles with the given stylus. The rear side of the tablet has two magnets that help fix the tablet to magnetic doors or surfaces. The tablet is made of non-toxic ABS material for safe usage. Moreover, it comes with an in-built replaceable battery and has 13 beautiful colors choices.
- Lightweight and durable
- Large 8.5-inch screen and a single ‘delete’ button
- Comes with a pouch to store and carry the board
- Battery has a long shelf-life of almost 12 months
- Has an added smart lock feature
- Radiation-free and glare-free
- Ideal for gifting
- Sensitivity to the pen may reduce over time
- Taking the stylus out of the board can be a bit challenging
4. Best Environment-Friendly: Orsen LCD Writing Tablet
Powered by pressure-sensitive technology, this writing board for kids is an environment-friendly gadget. It has a no-glare and no-radiation LCD screen and offers a smooth writing experience for the kids. The batteries run for about six months and may not need replacement often.
- Lightweight, durable, and portable
- Measures 8.5 inches and weighs 0.183kg
- Single button erases the screen
- Can be used for multiple purposes
- Protects the eyes and is safe for children to use
- Batteries can be replaced
- May not be bright enough
- Batteries are accessible to children, which can be choking hazards
5. Best With Shaped Stamps: Bablocvid Magnetic Drawing Board
This magnetic doodle board is designed for kids to draw, scribble, and learn different shapes with the help of stamping tools. It is available in orange and purple colors. A self-attached pen ensures that it is safe in one place and always available to use. It comes with a quick-erase tool so that you can have fun over and over again.
- Shaped stamps help create patterns
- Made of eco-friendly, non-toxic ABS plastic
- Comfy handle to carry smoothly
- Multicolor display for fun
- May look smaller than expected
- Magnet shapes may be hard to pull out of the plastic
6. Best Versatile: Boogie Board Jot Reusable Writing Tablet
Keep your life organized in the funniest possible way with this reusable LCD writing tablet that is perfect for making quick lists or leaving notes around the house. You can use them on family game nights to play Pictionary or teach your kids how to write – there’s no end to the number of ways in which this easy-to-use tablet will make your life easier.
- Includes stylus
- Usable with pen, pencil, or fingernails
- Quick Clear technology for instant erasing
- Bright, durable display of 8.5 inches
- Color of the ink may not be as pigmented on the board
- Stylus may not offer proper grip
7. Best Feature-Packed: Karatu Electronic Writing Board
A drawing board with multiple advanced features that lets children have fun while learning and writing. It comes with a built-in battery and ensures a long service life. The writing board for kids is available in five colors and comes with a stylus for smooth doodling.
- Comes with a smart lock function
- Has a replaceable button battery
- Durable, portable, and easy to use
- No electromagnetic radiation, making it safe for kids
- Eco-friendly and ideal for gifting
- Has no place to store the pen
- Colors may appear dull
The colorful magnetic board is designed for children between the ages of three and seven. It is easy and safe to use and comes in four colors, making it attractive for children. One slide helps to erase everything on the board. It comes with a few stamps and a stylus to boost creativity.
- Made of high-quality and non-toxic material.
- Safe and convenient for children.
- Measures 14.1 x 12.3 x 2in in size and 1.19lbs in weight.
- Has a handle to hang on the wall.
- Ideal as a gifting option for kids.
9. Best Flexible Screen: Flueston LCD Writing Board
A simple scribbling pad, this is designed for little kids to write and draw anything they like. It is durable and offers a smooth screen to doodle. Available in three colors that your child can pick from. The magnetic writing board for kids is fun and makes learning enjoyable.
- Sturdy and durable
- Easy to clear the screen
- Comes with a replaceable brush-pencil
- Has a flexible screen and ‘delete’ key
- Has a hoop to fix the pen
- Images may appear a little faint
- Battery may not be secured properly
10. Best Lightweight: ZBHANTANG LCD Drawing Board
The high-tech writing pad is durable and comes with an upgraded stylus to give your child a smooth writing experience. It allows your child to paint, create graffiti, and draft notes. The rainbow-colored ink makes it interesting and encouraging for kids to use the writing tablet for a long time.
- Light and portable board
- Lock and unlock feature available
- Comes with a special pencil and brush
- Available in three colors, namely blue, yellow, and pink
- Grinding screen offers better tactility
- Red color may not appear as bright
- Might be smaller than expected
11. Best Adorable: Haimst Magnetic Drawing Board
The doodle writing pad is designed for toddlers. It comes in two colors, pink and blue. Scribbling on the colorful screen is fun, as is using the three stamps that come with it. It is easy to use and encourages tiny tots to write and doodle on the writing board.
- Light and travel-friendly
- Comes with a handle and a sliding eraser
- Measures 10.4×7.4 inches
- Convenient and fun to use
- Comes well-packed in a box
- May not be as sturdy
- Stamps may not work as efficiently
The LCD writing board for kids is designed in unique shapes and colors. It is made with quality ABS plastic material that is non-toxic and tasteless. It is powered by pressure-sensitive technology and offers smooth writing or scribbling experience to young children.
- One click helps to clear the screen.
- Has a lock and unlock feature.
- Available in blue, pink, and yellow colors.
- No glare and radiation, safe for kids.
- Eco-friendly and educational board.
13. Best Educational: Rainbow Toyfrog Magnetic Drawing Board
The creative board is designed for young kids as an educational tool. It allows them to explore their creative side when using this board. It has beads that have to be pushed with the stylus to erase the board. This board offers a combination of playing and learning at the same time.
- Lightweight, durable, and portable
- Provides sensory-reinforced play
- Kids can create, design, and draw
- Available in small and big sizes
- Unique and high-quality board
- Beads may get stuck
- Metal beads might make sounds
How To Choose The Best Writing Board?
If you are confused about picking the most suitable writing board for your child, go through the following tips to get some help.
- Age: Of all the writing boards available in the market, some are meant only for toddlers, while others are designed for young children. Toddlers’ writing tablets come with stamps and stencils and are much simpler in design than others. While writing pads for young kids are designed for making notes and learning new words. So, pick a writing pad as per your child’s age.
- Features: It is better to find a writing board for kids that comes with a lot of features, thus making it easier for them to learn and have fun at the same time. Lightweight, kid-friendly, portable, lock function, smooth writing, sensors, and clear screen are some of the common elements to look for.
- Quality: The writing tablet or pad should be made with high-quality material such as ABS, which is non-toxic, odorless, and safe for the children to use. Also, the batteries should be replaceable and offer a longer shelf life.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose is experienced in reviewing toys and games and is well aware of what your children would love. In this post, she has saved you the trouble of scanning through innumerable options and has provided a detailed list of the best writing boards for kids, along with a buying guide. She also gives you an insight into the various features of each product and provides tips to help you pick an age-appropriate writing board for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do LCD drawing boards work?
Most LCD drawing tablets have a screen with multiple layers that are touch or pressure sensitive. One of these layers contains liquid crystal. When you draw on it, the molecules under the touched areas become active and reflect light. This mechanism makes the drawing visible to your eye.
2. Is an LCD writing tablet safe?
Prolonged and constant use of LCD gadgets isn’t often advised since they emit blue light, which may strain your eyes. Also, screen time should be limited during nights for quality sleep (1).
3. What is the use of an LCD writing tablet?
LCD writing tablets are nothing but a digital version of a slate or a notebook. Your child can draw or practice writing without going through the ordeal of using dusty, uncomfortable chalks, and they also eliminate the need for an eraser.
4. What battery does an LCD writing tablet use?
Most LCD writing tablets are equipped with built-in CR2025 button batteries that can be easily replaced. Each tablet generally requires one button battery.
Finding the right writing board for your child can help you keep the walls and other surfaces of the house clean as they have a dedicated space to scribble. Additionally, these writing boards also help your little one practice tracing letters and numbers in a fun way. Writing boards come in various colors and cool designs to attract little ones and keep them engaged in a fun way. Invest in a lightweight, portable writing board for your child, and watch them carry it to any room to unleash their artistic side.
- Should You Be Worried About Blue Light?
View Profile ›