Your growing child will need a mix of various vitamins and minerals to foster proper growth and healthy development. You should ensure that he does not miss any important elements vital for growth.
Zinc is one such underrated mineral, which is often found missing or deficit in young children. This problem is more severe in developing countries as compared to the developed ones. And although the zinc requirement for body is less, its absence can be sometimes unhealthy or unsafe.
According to health experts and scientists, a normal child will require 10 mg of zinc per day. More or less of this mineral can be obtained from food, but when the diet is improper one should take supplements, so as not to miss its important advantages for health. Read to know the importance of zinc in children here.
Zinc Can Be Acquired From Which Foods?
As per medical research, it is found that adding zinc to the diet of young children can be highly beneficial for their overall health.
Zinc for children is available from the following food items:
- Red Meat
- Potatoes along with their skin
- Whole grain cereals
- And a small portion in breast milk also.
[ Read: Vitamin A For Kids ]
What Are The Benefits Of Zinc For Children?
A small amount of zinc can produce favorable results for your children. Do take a look at its innumerable advantages mentioned below:
- Zinc is critical for normal growth as well as the development of the reproductive organs in the body.
- Zinc is responsible for improving the immune system of your body and thereby protecting from various diseases.
- When children do not get required zinc proportions in the body, it can lead to reduced memory, learning disabilities and also reduces the concentration span of the mind.
[ Read: Vitamin B For Kids ]
- Zinc is responsible for treating stunted growth and severe diarrhea in children.
- It also helps in fighting against common diseases like cough and cold and ear infections. At the same time it can fight against diseases caused by parasites like malaria.
- It also plays an important role in treatment of disease like ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), tinnitus( which causes bell like sound in ears, critical head injuries, eating disorder like anorexia nervosa, down syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease).
- And lastly, zinc can help in treating eye disease, AIDS, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
Zinc Supplementation Is Necessary:
If you find deficiency of zinc in children, it is advisable to provide your child with zinc supplements.
Zinc supplements have been proved useful when provided to children who suffered from its deficiency. There are many zinc supplements available in markets and you should consult your doctor before you start giving supplements to your kids.
[ Read: Potassium For Children ]
Caution In Case Of Zinc Supplements For Children:
Many scientists believe that when zinc is taken in more than adequate proportions it is not suitable. They believe that if zinc is excess in the body it can cause similar problems which are caused due to deficiency.
- So when you opt for supplements of zinc be careful regarding its dosage and its content.
- It is often found that zinc, which is metal, is commonly found together with another metal called cadmium. When cadmium is consumed in excess, it results into kidney failure in the long run.
[ Read: Benefits Of Vitamin D For Kids ]
- Essentially when you take supplements they are often found with concentrated cadmium too and thus may not be beneficial.
- Thus when you look for supplements always consider the ones which are zinc- gluconate. It is believed that the combination of zinc gluconate has the lowest level of cadmium in it.
A lot of importance is given to a wholesome diet which provides all the necessary nutrition requirements to your body. Thus you need not depend on supplements.
We hope you find this information useful and shall share with your near and dear ones.
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Vitamin C Consumption In Children
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Vitamin B For Kids
- 4 Health Benefits Of Vitamin A For Children
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Consuming Fish & Fish Oil For Kids
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014