Brain gym exercises for kids are an excellent way of developing the cognitive and intellectual skills of a child. These may also make the child smarter, aiding their overall growth and development, which may differ for every kid.
These exercises also provide an opportunity to improve your child’s cognitive skills and enhance brain function. It may eventually make children brighter, sharper, and more confident than their peers.
This post discusses some fun brain gym activities for children that you may do with your child.
1. Cross Crawls
- The exercise helps release excess stress in kids, so they can effectively concentrate on their studies.
- Instruct your child to move his left arm to the right leg and switch sides.
- The slow lateral movement enhances your child’s attention and mental coordination.
2. Lazy Eights:
- Instruct your child to draw the figure eight multiple times, either an imaginary one in the air or on a piece of paper.
- The exercise activates your kid’s creative side and loosens the muscles of his arm and wrist.
- The exercise helps improve your kid’s reading speed, eye-muscle coordination, and peripheral vision.
3. Double Doodle:
- This bilateral drawing activity requires your kid to sketch two images with both his hands.
- The activity encourages your kid’s learning skills and improves spelling accuracy, math calculation speed, and recognition of writing symbols. This is a great brain gym activity for kids.
4. The Elephant
- Instruct your child to stretch one of his hands and place it near the same-sided ear.
- By rotating the extended hand, he needs to make the symbol infinity in the air at least three times, and vice versa.
- The movements activate your kid’s mind and body balance and encourage the brain to listen to the words correctly.
- It improves your kid’s thinking ability, short- and long-term memory, and attention.
5. The Owl
- Ask your child to sit comfortably and bring one of his hands to the opposite shoulder.
- By holding the hand steady, he has to pinch the shoulder around the trapezius muscle.
- Your kid should now turn his head towards the direction of the pinched shoulder and take a deep breath.
- The exercising posture and range of motion improves the blood circulation and improves your child’s attention and memory.
6. The Active Arm
- Have your child stretch one of his arms and the other arm should be held at a right angle to hold the extended arm in a firm position.
- The exercise strengthens your kid’s upper chest and shoulders.
- It activates your kid’s brain, betters hand-eye coordination, and tool controlling skills.
7. The Gravitational Glider
- While sitting straight on a chair, your child must stretch his legs and cross the right leg over the left at the ankles.
- Taking a deep breath, he should now lean forwards and stretch the arm to reach up to the feet.
- The gravitational glider stretches your kid’s hamstring and enhances blood and oxygen flow.
- The exercise boosts your child’s self-expression, confidence, and stability..
8. Earth Buttons
- Instruct your child to either stand or sit down comfortably.
- He should place the right hand on the lips and the palm of the left hand over the navel position.
- Now he needs to rub both the upper and lower body parts in a small, circular motion.
- The earth buttons exercise helps improve mental alertness and whole-body orientation.
9. The Thinking Cap
- Your child has to hold both the ears with his thumbs and the index fingers of both hands and roll and unroll the outer edge of the ear.
- Thinking Cap helps to improve hearing, peripheral vision, and short-term memory.
- Your child can either perform the exercise while standing, sitting, or lying down.
- Have him cross the left ankle over the right one, intertwine the fingers and place them near the chest and breathe deeply.
- This exercise promotes mind and body relaxation.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What age is brain gym for?
Brain gym in children may start at any age. It is primarily introduced in preschool and school children and may be started as young as one and a half years (1).
2. Is brain gym an effective educational intervention?
Brain gym is considered helpful in improving attention, memory, and academic skills but has not been unanimously accepted as an effective educational intervention. Sufficient scientific evidence is yet to be established in its favor (2) (3).
3. Is brain gym discredited?
Brain stimulating exercises are a fun and creative way for cognitive development. These brain gym exercises for kids are suitable for enhancing their thinking and reasoning power. With this collection of children’s exercises, you can help them achieve better mental health by improving their memory, alertness, stability, and calmness. Remember not to push them too hard and let them complete the workout at their pace by making them understand the importance of each exercise.
- Brain Gym exercises for preschool and pre primary classes.
- Andrea Watson and Ginger L. Kelso; (2014); THE EFFECT OF BRAIN GYM® ON ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENT FOR CHILDREN WITH DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES.
- Lucinda S. Spaulding et al.; (2010); Is Brain Gym an E ain Gym an Effective Educational Intervention?
- Myths and ineffective methods.
- Nikita H Seth et al.; (2022); Influence of Brain Gym Activities on Sleep Quality in Moderate Insomnia.