Do you love devouring bratwurst that’s been cooked in beer? Are you craving for some now, but you are skeptical about the safety of eating bratwurst while pregnant? If yes, then you must consider reading our post below. We look at the health benefits of bratwurst, how safe it is to eat while expecting, and what measures should you follow.
What Is Bratwurst?
Bratwurst is a traditional German cuisine. The meat sausage comprises pork, veal, and beef. Typically, it is cooked in broth or beer. Bratwurst offers several nutritional benefits, but it has a high-calorie and high-fat content, so you should eat it in moderation (1).
Is It Safe To Eat Bratwurst While Pregnant?
Yes! It is safe to eat bratwurst during pregnancy. However, you need to cook it thoroughly, and avoid cooking it in beer. You need to heat to a temperature of at least 165°F. Raw or undercooked brat sausage may contain harmful bacteria like Listeria, which can cause serious complications during pregnancy. Listeria leads to muscle aches, nausea, fever, and headaches. So, you should avoid raw or undercooked bratwurst. Cooking the sausage at high temperature rids it of bacteria. Also, have a word with your doctor before you eat bratwurst during pregnancy (2).
Health Benefits Of Eating Bratwurst During Pregnancy
Here are some of the health benefits of eating bratwurst while pregnant:
1. Boosts Immunity:
Bratwurst is a rich source of the mineral selenium. A healthy selenium intake will boost your immunity during pregnancy. Eating bratwurst can also improve thyroid function and protect your cells from disease-inducing free radicals. This property makes bratwurst and effective cancer inhibitor (3).
2. Provides Sufficient Calories:
Just 100 gms of bratwurst provides a whopping 297 calories. So eating 200 or 250 gms of bratwurst helps you achieve a huge amount of daily calorie intake. Thus, eating bratwurst offers pregnant women necessary amounts of calories even if they consume a limited amount of the dish (4).
3. Provides A Gluten-Free Food Option:
Doctors often advise you to avoid gluten-free food items during pregnancy if you are gluten sensitive. Bratwurst sausage is a healthy gluten-free food choice to enjoy while expecting. Since the dish is gluten-free, you won’t be at risk of developing celiac disease (5).
4. Provides High Amount Of Proteins:
Proteins are extremely important for your body during pregnancy. Every 100 gms of bratwurst provides you 12 gms of proteins, which is about 8% of daily protein intake. Eating the sausage helps you fulfill the protein requirement during the pregnancy and ensure good growth and development of your unborn baby (6).
5. Provides B Vitamins:
Bratwurst is also rich in vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. Both the vitamins are quintessential during pregnancy. Vitamin B12 helps prevent the risk iron deficiency or anemia while you are expecting. Vitamin B6 helps boost your immunity and promotes metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. The vitamin is a vital nutrient for the development of your unborn baby’s brain and nervous system (7).
[ Read: Is It Safe To Eat Bologna While Pregnant ]
Side-Effects Of Eating Bratwurst During Pregnancy
It is quite safe to eat bratwurst during pregnancy, but eating raw or undercooked sausage can you’re your body. Raw or undercooked bratwurst tends to contain listeria that is harmful to you and your unborn baby. Potential side-effects of eating undercooked or raw brat containing listeria include:
• Risk of miscarriage
• Premature delivery
• Stillbirth (8)
To avoid these side-effects, ensure you heat the sausage at a high temperature before you eat it.
[ Read: Eating Sausage During Pregnancy ]
Did you enjoy eating brats while pregnant? How did you cook it? Any special recipes you know about? Tell us below. Share your experience with other moms-to-be.
- Is It Safe To Eat Pancetta During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Barbecue During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Haddock During Pregnancy?
- 4 Amazing Health Benefits Of Eating Biltong During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016