The best breast milk storage bags help you store milk efficiently and hygienically until your baby can drink it. They also ensure that the nutrients are not lost. You might want to know how to choose the best breast milk storage bags and how to use them. Keep reading as we give you some tips on picking the right one and list some good storage bags that you can find online.
Our Top Picks
13 Best Breast Milk Storage Bags
1. Best Overall: NUK Seal N’ Go Breast Milk Bags
Check out this video on this product and find out more about its features.
- It has a double zipper seal on the mouth to keep it airtight and 100% leak-proof.
- The plastic used is pre-sterilized, multilayered and is free from BPA. The bag is freezer safe.
- A self-standing feature makes it convenient to pour milk into the bag.
- There are external markings for the quantity and a label on top to mention the date or leave a note.
- This storage bag can hold up to 6oz (180ml) of breast milk. You can get the bag in quantities of 25, 50, 100, and 200.
2. Best Compatibility: Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags
Check out this video on this product and find out more about its features.
- It is compatible with all Lansinoh breast pumps without the need for an adapter. Pump directly into the bag.
- You can also buy an adapter separately if you use a breast pump of another brand. The bag and its adapter work with the most popular breast pump brands.
- A convenient spout on the mouth of the bag reduces the chances of spills when transferring milk from the bag to the bottle.
- A pre-sterilized breast milk storage bag with double zipper for guaranteed leakage prevention. It is made of high-quality plastic. No BPA and BPS used.
- The bag can hold a maximum of 6oz (180ml) of breast milk. It comes in a count of 25, 50, and 100.
3. Best Leakproof: Medela Pump and Save Breast Milk Bags
This video takes you through this product’s unique features, making it easier for you to make a buying decision.
- The manufacturer ships the bags with two adapters. The adapter works with most Medela breast pumps and allows you to pump directly into the bag.
- You get a no-leak, no-spill zipper on the top with a self-standing base at the bottom of the bag.
- The bag is made with high-quality, BPA-free plastic and safe to put in a freezer.
- The oxygen barrier feature of the plastic preserves nutrients of the breast milk.
- It can hold a maximum of 5oz (150ml) of breast milk. You can buy the bag in quantities of 20 and 50.
4. Best Freezer-Safe: Dr. Brown’s Breastmilk Storage Bags
- The breast milk bag is made from high-quality, durable plastic safe for freezer usage. The bags are also pre-sterilized.
- The self-standing bottom makes it easy to pour the milk into the pouch.
- It has easy-to-read volume markings on the outside, plus a label on top to write the date and other information.
- The maximum volume of the bag is 6oz (180ml). You can buy the bag in the quantities of 25 and 50.
5. Best BPA-Free: Philips AVENT Breast Milk Storage Bags Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Twist Pouch
- Each pouch has a twist cap just like the one you find on a bottle. It keeps the bag 100% airtight and leak-proof.
- A transparent strip at the front of the pouch lets you see the quantity of breast milk inside. There are also markings for the volume of the liquid inside.
- The storage bag is compatible with most breast pumps when used with an adapter that is sold separately.
- You can also feed directly from the pouch by inserting it into Kiinde’s natural feeding bottle that holds the bag within.
- The plastic is free from BPA, PVC, and phthalates. The bag’s capacity is either 6oz (180ml) or 8oz (235 ml). The bag is available in packs of 20, 40, 80, and 160.
- There are reinforced, thick seams all around the edges of the bag that prevents leakage entirely.
- A secure double zipper at the top and a self-standing base for convenient pouring.
- Pre-sterilized bag with a tamper evident seal. The plastic is free from BPA and quite durable.
- The mouth of the bag opens wide open so that you can pour milk without the risk of spillage.
- The bag holds 6oz (180ml) of breast milk. It comes in a pack of 50.
7. Best For Pouring: Ameda Store N Pour Breast Milk Storage Bags
- The bag has a dedicated spout that you tear to pour the milk into a bottle, just like you would with a regular milk carton.
- The storage bag works with most Ameda breast pumps and other branded pumps with the use of an adapter sold separately.
- Each bag is sterilized and made with BPA-free plastic. The bags are also freezer safe.
- The bag is transparent with markings on the outside to indicate the quantity of milk in the bag. There is a label at the top to write the date.
- The bag’s capacity is 5oz (150ml) and comes in the count of 40 bags.
8. Best Spill-Proof: Milkies Breast Milk Storage Bags
- It is made from high-quality, BPA-free plastic, which is highly durable. Each bag is pre-sterilized.
- Reinforced sides and double zipper make the bag 100% leak-proof even when the bag falls or is turned upside down.
- The bag stands on its own without support, which prevents spilling when transferring milk to the bag.
- Transparent plastic lets you see the milk inside, while markings give you the quantity.
- The maximum capacity of the bag is 7oz (200ml). You get the bag in the count of 50.
9. Best Compact: Tommee Tippee Pump and Go Breast Milk Storage Bags
- A pre-sterilized storage bag with a compact shape and leak-proof design.
- The storage bag fits all major breast pumps with use of Tommee Tippee adapter sold separately.
- The bag comes with a screw lid that maintains a tight seal and prevents leakage.
- The bag is safe to use in a freezer. The plastic is free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates.
- You can feed the baby directly from the pouch by inserting it into a Pump and Go pouch bottle sold separately.
- You can store up to 6oz (180ml) of breast milk in the storage bag. The bag is available in quantities of 35 and 70.
10. Best Toxin-Free: Mommy’s Precious Breast Milk Storage Bag
- A double zip lock on the mouth of the bag that prevents leaks.
- There is a perforated line on the top that lets you open the bag with one tear, for transferring the milk to the bottle.
- The bags are made from durable plastic that does not contain BPA and phthalate.
- The base is designed to allow the bag to stand by itself when transferring milk.
- The transparent plastic shows how much milk there is inside, while markings give you the exact quantity.
- The maximum volume of the bag is 8oz (236ml). You can get the bag in the count of 110 pieces.
11. Best Double-Layered: Unimom Breast Milk Storage Bags
- A double-layered bag with a double seal on the top. You can tear open the bag before transferring the milk to save the hassle of opening the two seals.
- The bag is pre-sterilized, freezer-safe, and self-standing. The plastic is 100% baby safe, BPA-free, and phthalate-free.
- A thermal indicator at the front of the bag changes color when the milk changes temperature from cold to room temperature. It helps you know that the milk is at a safe temperature for the baby to drink.
- You will find volume markings on the outside and space to write the date on top of the bag.
- The maximum volume of the bag is 7oz (210ml). You can buy the bag in counts of 30 and 60.
12. Best Self-Standing: Nurture Right Breast Milk Storage Bags
- The plastic is non-toxic, BPA and phthalate-free. There is a double seal on top of the bag for guaranteed leak prevention.
- The thick plastic of the bag retains shape when you thaw frozen milk.
- The bag is self-standing. The mouth of the bag is designed to pour the milk into a bottle easily. You can also store the bag in a flat position.
- The plastic is transparent with visible volume markings on the outside.
- The breast milk storage bag can hold a maximum of 6oz (180ml) of breast milk. You can buy the bag in quantities of 50 and 100.
13. Best Tear-Proof: Nanobebe Breast Milk Freezer Storage Bags
- The bag has a flat shape and is specially designed for freezing breast milk. The manufacturer claims that the flat design allows three times faster thawing of frozen breast milk when compared to standard breast milk storage bags.
- The flat bag allows for even cooling and warming. The bag cools in a refrigerator and warms to room temperature twice faster than regular storage bags.
- Despite the thin profile of the bag, the plastic is thick and tear-proof. Each bag is pre-sterilized and BPA-free.
- The bags ship with a bag organizer, a rack designed specifically to hold the bags. Place the bags, in an order, on the rack and then place the rack in the freezer/refrigerator.
- Each bag can hold up to 5oz (150ml) of breast milk. The bags come in the count of 50.
Breast milk storage bags are convenient to feed breast milk to the baby when you are away. But it is essential to use the bags the right way to make the most out of them.
What Is A Breast Milk Storage Bag?
A breast milk storage bag or pouch is a specialized, single-use plastic bag with the sole purpose of storing milk. Bags meant to hold breast milk are labeled appropriately and are also packed under sterile conditions. Some key features in the bag make it more appropriate for storing breast milk.
Why Choose A Breast Milk Storage Bag?
You must consider a breast milk storage bag over standard zipped bags for these three important reasons:
- A bag made for storing breast milk is made from materials that are safe to come in contact with breast milk. Breast milk storage bags do not contain harmful compounds usually present in standard plastic bags.
- Storage bags are more durable than standard plastic bags. The bag can also withstand freezing.
- Bags are packed in sterile conditions and are sterile even from the inside. It prevents bacteria or other pathogens from getting into the breast milk.
How Long Can you Store Breast Milk?
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, freshly expressed breast milk can be stored at room temperature (77°F (25°C or less) for up to four hours, in a refrigerator for up to four days, and the freezer for up to six months (1). While the breast milk in a storage bag can be stored for nearly 12 months inside the freezer, it is best to keep it for no more than six months to ensure optimum quality.
Features To Look For In A Breast Milk Storage Bag
Look for the following features when buying a breast milk storage bag:
- Express straight to bag feature: If you can express breast milk directly into the storage bag, then it is comfortable. You may have to spend extra on getting adapters that work with your breast pump, but it is still worth it.
- Size of the bag: The quantity of expressed breast milk varies for different women. Pick a bag with a size that can hold the quantity that you express. Most breast milk storage bags have markings for quantity, which makes it easier to pick a bag.
- Durability and safety: Check the thickness of the bag and read its label for the materials used in its making. Prefer bags that say ‘BPA and BPS-free’. If you can get your hands on a sample bag, then you can also check how well the zip lock seal works.
[ Read : CMBEAR Electric Breast Feeding Pump Benefits ]
Tips To Use A Breast Milk Storage Bag
- Bags are one-time use only: All breast milk storage bags/pouches are meant for single use as a used bag is not sterile anymore. So dispose of the bag once you have transferred the milk from it.
- Do not overfill: Each bag is designed to hold a certain volume of milk. Overfilling the bag can jeopardize the sealing capabilities of the bag.
- Store at the back of the fridge/freezer: Place the storage bag at the back of the refrigerator or freezer shelf. Storing the bag in a shelf on the refrigerator’s door can cause temperature variations due to repeated opening of the door.
- Do not mix milk from different batches: The storage bag (or bags if you pump more milk) is meant to hold milk from one batch. Do not combine milk from two batches to save space since the milk would have been pumped at different times.
Breast milk storage bags are often a boon for working moms and for moms who may have to stay away from their baby for a substantial time. While breast milk has a surprisingly long shelf life when placed under refrigeration, it is still best to use it a few hours.
Remember to thaw and warm the milk using a warm water bath or dedicated bag warmers before feeding to the baby. Following precautions for storing and timely consumption of the breastmilk will help you make the most of these storage bags.
Why Trust MomJunction?
We have prepared this list of the best breast milk storage bags that can help you store milk more efficiently without compromising on hygiene until your little one can drink it. These options have been selected based on different aspects such as durability, convenience, and overall quality of the product. Our review process involves extensive research and comparison of hundreds of products so we offer you the best ones.
Have you used breast milk storage bags? Do share with us your experience in the comment section below.
- Best Coolers For Traveling With Breast Milk
- Best Manual Breast Pumps
- Best Portable Breast Pumps
- Best Portable Bottle Warmers