Your baby is growing up to be a cute and active toddler who just doesn’t seem to sit still. As babies grow up, they tend to move around a lot and explore, and sometimes also suffer the consequences of some unattended exploration trips.
You may come across an occasional bruise on your baby’s body and may be worried about it, but hey- there’s no reason to get into a panic mode. Keep reading to know more about the common causes of bruises in babies and children, and the simple ways to tackle and prevent them.
Common Causes of Bruises in Babies:
Bruises, which are basically blackish-blue marks on the body, occur due to internal bleeding and damaged blood vessels. Children older than 1 year of age usually develop bruises due to accidental injuries or bumping into different places.
In most cases, bruises are not a cause of concern, and they go away on their own. However, in some rare cases, they may also be caused due to an underlying illness or an internal bleeding disorder. Child abuse could also be a cause of easy bruising in children.
If the bruises on your baby’s body appear abnormal and you come across them spontaneously in areas other than the lower legs, you may want to have your baby examined by a doctor. This is even more essential if the baby bruises are larger than expected and are lumpy rather than flat.
However, if you find bruises on the lower part of your baby’s body such as the shin and leg regions, you usually don’t need to worry- most children injure these areas during their ‘explorations’ and forget that they have actually hurt themselves. (1)
[ Read: Head Injuries In Babies ]
First Aid for Bruises in Babies:
Some simple steps could actually help you speed up the healing of your baby’s bruises.
- Make an ice pack by wrapping some ice pieces in a bag and then wrapping it in a towel or a washcloth. Place it against the bruise for some time. Make sure you don’t hold anything frozen directly against your baby’s skin.
- Elevate the bruised area so that the blood flow to it decreases to some extent. This will help reduce the swelling of the area.
- Talk to your doctor about safe pain-relieving medications for your baby (if he’s in a lot of pain). Follow your doctor’s instructions about the dosage very particularly. You could also try distracting him by handing him a toy or taking him to a new place. (2)
[ Read: Home Safety For Babies ]
How to Prevent Bruises in Children and Babies:
In general, it is hard to completely prevent bruising in growing children, but you could take a few steps to minimize the risk.
- Be careful to watch over your child when he is involved in sports and other activities that he may not have tried earlier.
- If your baby is young and has just learnt to crawl, remove objects that he may slip on or bump into. It is best to avoid having furniture with pointed corners near growing babies.
[ Read: Insect Bites In Babies ]
- Take precautionary measures such as pads, shin guards and helmets, and advice your kid to wear them if he’s trying something new.
- Avoid letting your baby explore unless you’re nearby to keep a watch on him. (3)
Remember that bruising is a part of your baby’s growth- you don’t always need to pamper your baby too much to protect him- allow him to explore, but be there to watch over him.
We hope this post has helped you know more about the simple steps to take if you find bruises on your baby’s body. Did these tips and tricks work for you? Let us know in the comments box below.
- Strabismus In Babies/Infants – 5 Causes, 4 Symptoms & 3 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Anemia or Iron Deficiency In Babies/Infants – 4 Causes & 7 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- 6 Causes And 5 Treatments Of Epilepsy In Babies
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) In Infants – 4 Causes, 8 Symptoms & 8 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015