Are you suffering from conjunctivitis during pregnancy? Do you want to know if you can safely treat it using calendula? If you said yes, or are simply looking for a natural remedy for skin rashes, cough, and muscle spasms, then you should consider reading our post about using calendula during pregnancy. Here we talk about calendula and pregnancy to know its safety profile.
Natural remedies are safe to use with no or minimum side effects. While it is true, during pregnancy, you need to be extra cautious as even natural or herbal ingredients may be potentially harmful, cause pregnancy complications and harm the fetus.
What Is Calendula?
Calendula plant is notable for the medicinal properties of its flower, which are yellowish-orange. Calendula is also known as pot marigold, but it is different from the marigold plant.
Calendula has anti-inflammatory properties and fights bacterial and viral infections. It also contains a good amount of flavonoids, a type of antioxidant and, therefore, is useful in protecting cells from damage .
Medicinal Uses of Calendula:
You can use calendula flower petals for various medicinal purposes. Many homeopathic medicines contain calendula as one of the ingredients. Calendula is mostly used topically to treat various medical conditions .
Calendula helps overcome the following medical conditions:
- Ear infections
- Skin conditions such as inflammations that occur from radiation therapy, acne
- Anal fissures
- Vaginal atrophy (symptoms include burning, itching, dryness in the vagina)
- Leg ulcers
- Muscle spasms
- Sore throat
- Relief from Menstrual cramps
- Upset stomach
- Varicose veins
- Stretch marks
[ Read: Get Rid Of Sore Throat During Pregnancy ]
Calendula During Pregnancy:
Is calendula safe during pregnancy? It is usually safe. However, some people may be allergic to the plant and if you are one of these people, avoid using calendula. Calendula can also cause complications when used before surgeries as it can interfere with certain medications. Thus, it is best to avoid calendula use not only during but also a few weeks before and after surgery.
- Since calendula has properties that induce menstruation, its use can promote uterine contractions and induce premature labor. Some studies show that topical use of calendula might be okay during pregnancy and to advise avoiding oral application. But, it is best to avoid any use of calendula during pregnancy. Even breastfeeding women or those who are trying to conceive should avoid using calendula.
- You may want to use calendula to relieve common pregnancy problems like hemorrhoids, stretch marks, and others, You can mix calendula with vitamin E oil to safely eradicate stretch marks.However, it is best to opt for alternate treatment methods for these conditions.
- Many lotions and oils for stretch marks contain calendula. Though its topical use in tiny amounts is considered safe during pregnancy, it is best used only after the approval of your doctor. Therefore, read ingredients of all herbal remedies and potions that you use during pregnancy. Only use products whose ingredients are listed safe for your use.
Proper skin moisturization, using safe oils such as vitamin E oil topically, a good diet, use of prescribed supplements, are all things that help you have a comfortable pregnancy. Ensure that you exercise properly and take adequate rest. Consult your doctor for safer ingredients and stick to them for the duration of your pregnancy and even during your breastfeeding period.
[ Read: Benefits Of Tulsi During Pregnancy ]
How was your pregnancy experience? Did you use any form of tea or calendula cream during pregnancy? Or did you use another herb instead? Tell us about your story below. Fellow moms would love to hear your tips and suggestions.
- Is It Safe To Use Clove Oil When You Are Pregnant?
- Kombucha During Pregnancy – 8 Benefits & 3 Side Effects You Should Be Aware Of
- Raspberry Ketones During Pregnancy – Uses And Side Effects You Should Be Aware Of
- Oil Of Oregano During Pregnancy – 4 Health Benefits & 3 Side Effects You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Rakhee M (see all)
- Meningococcal Vaccine – Everything You Need To Know - March 7, 2016
- Hemorrhagic Disease Of The Newborn – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - February 29, 2016
- Prednisone For Kids - Side Effects, Dosage & Precautions - February 3, 2016
- Is It Safe To Use Phentermine During Pregnancy? - January 29, 2016
- Relaxin Hormone During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know - January 29, 2016
- How To Teach Your Child About Stranger Danger? - January 28, 2016
- Alpha-Fetoprotein Test During Pregnancy - Purpose, Procedure & Results - January 28, 2016
- Is Celexa (Citalopram) Safe While Breastfeeding? - January 22, 2016
- 3 Simple & Useful Survival Tips For A Single Mom - January 20, 2016
- 5 Easy & Effective Anger Management Tips For Parents - January 19, 2016